Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Like, in a compelling way or a tragic way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

My God, that's it exactly.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Gatekeeper posted:

I recently watched Operation P.R.O.M. again and I realized they already made the best possible finale ever so I guess why bother trying to making another one?

I agree but it is pretty dissapointing that they've pretty much skipped this step 2 seasons in a row now (Gargantua 2 doesn't count).

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

As much as I enjoyed the swerve I too thought the resolution to the ORB plot was a bit of a let-down.

That said, the current status-quo of Guild politicking and Venture Corp renaissance is *far* more interesting than Hunt for the Secret Superweapon.

Also it's great watching Hank have a relationship instead of Dean, because I feel like there's a chance it might actually go somewhere. Say what you want about Operation PROM (and boy, you guys sure are) but it putting the Dean/Triana plotline into it's long-overdue bed is probably top of the list.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

theflyingexecutive posted:

And grad students lol

As were Doc's (unpaid?) grunts building the Gargantua 2's ray shields!

Show's realistic about it's treatment of grad students is all.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Man am I glad I checked this thread today. Any chance the delay means they're including artwork from this current season?

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Flython posted:

Dr O!

God I feel so much older since the last season.

The good news is: you are!

Honestly the wait in particular from All This And Gargantua 2 to Season 6 felt like a lifetime to me. But then I really loved 6, so I ain't complaining.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Aside from Red Death, who is noted to only arch once a year (and not happy til he leaves at least one corpse) and so presumably is no longer a concern for at least that long.

Wasn't 8-Bit Theatre big on anticlimax like that?

In Brian Clevinger's defense he started that stuff 4 years before Venture Bros got out there and almost a full decade before Homestuck got off the ground, and ended during Homestuck's first year.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

tarlibone posted:

I remember cheering out loud when Dean, upon getting that ridiculous speech from The Outrider, looks up and says, "You know what I think? gently caress you!"

I’m the only guy I know who watches this show so I’ve never had anyone to bounce this off, but how are we, the audience, supposed to feel about Triana? Because I feel like the show wants me to think better of her but goddamn, was I not sad to see her flounce out of the series. I was SO sick of her by the end.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

The pilot and seasons 1 and 2 feel like set up for the show to properly begin in season 3 now.

Fun set up though.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

So I've just got caught up on this season and seeing the composition of the guild as of the last episode is uh ... Dr Phage not around anymore? Did I miss that?

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Deathlove posted:

wasn't there an episode where Watch and Ward went HAM on something or other? or am I just making that up?

I feel like they may have killed a goon somewhere for some reason or other, but bugger if I can remember where. The only thing coming to mind is what they did during All This and Gargantua-2.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Same, it’s the same way I feel whenever someone like Edgar Wright or Tarantino do a commentary track - I lose out because I just haven’t bought physical media in I literally don’t know how long.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

IUG posted:

If you like Duck Tales, you should also check out Gravity Falls. It's only two seasons, but it's what the Duck Tales people worked on before Duck Tales. It should also scratch a lot of the same itches, they put a ton of work in the small details of that show, especially with the mysteries and seeding clues about it throughout the show.

Seconding this. Gravity Falls is an almost flawless show achieving exactly what it wanted to, with the only flaw being that it was initially intended to be 3 seasons and we only ended up getting two (and it's very obvious where the cut was supposed to be).

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

I know I'm late to this and I'm full of apologies, but did that animation Discord ParadoxGentleman mentioned ever coagulate, and if so can I get an invite? WhiskeyWolfe#7695

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

I know adult swim can be pretty loosey-goosey but having the author of the art book be the guy to break the news of the shows cancellation is a bit much to take.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

I was just going to go have a quiet beer but the idea that I’m not going to get anymore Rusty or Brock or 21 or Monarch or Orpheus or Hank or Dean or dear sweet Hatred is making me far more angry the more I think about it.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Bro Dad posted:

He was the creator of Harvey Birdman and is making a sequel series (which I bet was an easy approval process) called Birdgirl. Between that and Adult Swim tightening its belt over covid they most likely had to choose between the show the boss makes or the show the boss hates :shrug:

also dude looks like an evil corporate version of Gilfoyle:

Look at him there, wearing glasses. Like a prick.

And what's that, pocket square? Who wears a pocket square? I'll tell you who - jerks!

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

graham cracker posted:

This this is all because of the voice actor for dean right?

Okay I'm clearly out of the loop on something significant here. What happened?

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

uber_stoat posted:

and it will cost more than it did previously. funny how things work out.

...Okay?

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

That sounds fair. So it kinda shakes out like

King - Rusty
Queen - Brock
Bishop - Orpheus (obviously, right?)
Knight - Hatred
Rook - Conjectural Technologies (Billy on Pete's shoulders on Robobo's shoulders)
Pawn - Hank and Dean

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

I mean, you guess one time and you're correct.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Keltar posted:

If anyone hasn't I highly suggest a read of Go Team Venture!: The Art and Making of The Venture Bros. It's about everything except the last season, and no you don't get to know what orb is or does. They joke about how people are fixated on it.

First of all: oh yeah, this book is fantastic and just filled to the brim with stories from Doc and Jackson and artwork and well worth the purchase for anyone who ever was a fan of the show.

Secondly: ORB even appears in a videogame? In Poker Night at the Inventory 2 (back when Valve still made videogames) Brock would put it up as the prize if he ever got backed into a corner.

Sidebar: Poker Night 2 is a hoot and has an absolute rear end-ton of Patrick Warburton as Brock Samson, including a few stories that tie back around into the show. Plus you get to hear him interact with Ash Williams, Sam (& Max) and GlaD0S while he kicks your butt at poker! It's only a few bucks these days, so if anyone is hurting for a squirting of VB goodness it's worth a try.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

I feel like Monstroso was an aborted attempt at the character Wide Whale ended up becoming.

Also yeah Bowie is the Sovereign. I get why they changed it and I don't care, David Bowie being the shapechanging head of an international guild of supervillains is the world I want to believe in.

At least until Gargantua Too and he gets hit with a moron ray for no reason.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

And the death montage gets a call back in the Halloween special with JK Simmons as Ben, my favourite guest star and one of my favourite supporting characters.

God I wish he could've come back just one more time.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Bootleg Trunks posted:

well i made a cheapo quickie one

Was ORB the first time all these people were in the same place at the same time? I feel like it was, right? I remember thinking that was a kinda big deal.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Mind you that was then. Post-New York Rusty definitely seems to have a little more spring in his step from his new position, which I really appreciate.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Thank you for that. "David Bowie's career is failing, so he goes to America to campaign for Nixon" might be the best movie pitch I've ever heard.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Puns are the antithesis of tryhard and cool, which is why they are The Best.

And for what it's worth I love Rick & Morty just as much as I do Venture Bros. I don't want anyone to feel like they're being got at here.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Rick and Morty directly interacting with Gravity Falls is still one of my favourite things. Dipper chucks some stuff through a portal in one episode and it comes out as Rick and Morty are running from some dudes.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

The main thing I want resolution on is what happened on Movie Night and for someone to kick Jonas in the dick.

A win for Gary would be nice too.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

I've gotta say, watching Dragoon charge headlong at Phantom Limb heedless of the danger was a real character moment for him. He's a doddering old moron, but I do have a soft spot for him.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Me too! Of course I have my Youtube ASMR playlists for that now. Not for VB commentaries, I ... don't think that's a thing right now.

Until it is, Goodnight Moon is a sweet enough mistress for me.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

God, now I've just got a hankering to play Evil Genius again.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Oh I know. Looks hype, too!

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

BIG HEADLINE posted:

JJ probably would've ended up killing Jonas because Jonas would've been repulsed by him.

Totally.

Jonas would view him more dispassionately than early-seasons Rusty views the slugs. And JJ is just too smart and capable of a guy not to fire back at him. He's essentially a better version of his father in every way except the physical.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Ugly In The Morning posted:

JJ was interesting because he had a lot of Jonas’s callousness but was obviously well intentioned. He would piss people off through high expectations and thinking everyone was on his level but obviously wanted to connect with people like Sally or even his brother (like with that final “go team venture”).

Yeah, a big part of my enjoyment of JJ was finding out that he had lines and where those lines lay.

quote:

It's been a while since I've seen the first season, but his first appearance has him as very hostile against Rusty. He wants to kill Rusty and take over his life. Then they calm down, JJ gets Spider Skull Island and he becomes a jovial dude who wants to be Rusty's brother. Was there any transition stage, or did he just flip the switch like that? I wonder if he was what Jonas would have been without a lovely father, or what Rusty would have been without a lovely father.

At the end of the episode Rusty stops Brock from killing him and then offers him Spider Skull Island. They're cool by the end of the episode, Brock even flat-out says it.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

God I'm pretty sure that's the first mention of Brigadoon in 50 years. Which is halfway to being ironic.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

I'm so glad Orpheus and 21 got a scene together and they were pretty cool to each other, even if Orpheus was drunk and 21 was ... going through some stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

AlternateNu posted:

And Warriana lives in Tophet Tower along with Copycat, Wide Whale, and all the other CGI New Yorkers.

Have you seen Copycat's apartment? I'd figuratively kill for a place like that.