Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

Glass Joe posted:

Ten more days...ten long, interminable days...

gently caress me, the video for Jacket is almost two years old. These next ten days can't pass quickly enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

Just noticed that in the beginning of "Self Medication" Rusty loses a shoe as he's running along the moving sidewalk.

It's the little things.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

Red posted:

Also, am I greedy for wanting every episode to be an hour long?

Hell no. Between this episode and season four's finale they've proven they can expand the show's runtime without any loss in quality. In fact, in both cases they've used the extra time to weave in even more threads while still tying them into a solid episode.

Wasn't sure this could live up to the end of last season, but holy poo poo. And Doc once again proves that the only time he can be a competent scientist is when he's creating an abomination of some sort.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN posted:

Doc's still completely incompetent, but it was incompetence and dumb luck that wound up getting the Gargantua 2 shield finished. When Billy's explaining the mutations he mentions the interns' new Einstein-like intelligence. THAT is how the shield got finished, and also how things spiraled out of control so quickly. All Doc did was not warn the interns about the insane radioactivity in the workplace, kill one of the interns, lie to his brother a couple times, roofie everyone, and take credit for everything in the end.

And that's why he'll always be my third-favorite character (behind Brock and Shore Leave). He's a colossal dick that can't do anything right, but it's him being so easy to hate that makes him so easy to like.

You're right; he's not competent at unethical science, he just manages to maintain the appearance of competence a little longer before the charade falls apart. the Joy Can worked, until it trapped everyone inside and Venturestein seemed like a success until he wandered off in search of pros-i-tutes. He still fails, it just takes a little longer for his failure to become apparent.

Also the opening montage was perfect. Much as I loved the nonlinearity of season four's opener, I loved the direct connections between these two seasons. While the point of the previous opener was to clearly delineate between the seasons to set up the fact that season four feature far more character growth than previous ones, I think this opener served to show us that the growth we witnessed in that season will continue. And I can't wait.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Oh *poo poo* yes, Kevin Conroy IS back this season: http://www.awn.com/news/television/venture-bros-returns-season-5

"In season five, The Venture Bros. welcomes the guest voice talent of Aziz Ansari, Paget Brewster, Wyatt Cenac, Kevin Conroy, Bill Hader, John Hodgman, Gillian Jacobs, Kate McKinnon, Tim Meadows, J.K. Simmons, and Brendon Small."

John Hodgman but no Seth Green. Guess we're only getting half of the Hale brothers. This should be fun. Or he could be voicing an entirely different character haha. Also hope we see more of Ben.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

Jerkface posted:

"Let it be the skill of muturra! The blade that shines like the mooooooooon, I DOMINATE that!"

At first I was a little annoyed at Aziz because he has a very distinctive voice and it was very jarring to hear it in Venture Bros, but that line made it totally worth it.

door Door door fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Jun 4, 2013

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

Action Tortoise posted:

Season 4's premiere took me a couple of viewings to really understand what happened. The narrative structure was experimental like Memento, which was cool to see in an animated show but the pacing was so hectic. I liked that 5's premiere took its time to show what happened to everyone and even seamlessly transitioned from one character's situation to another's in the same scene. Also, 4's finale made it seem like most of the cast was going through really drastic changes but 5's premiere made those changes look more like a lateral movement in characterization than actual progression.

I think it's two steps forward, one step back. 21 realizes he isn't a villain or a henchman, but then finds himself the sole member of Sphinx. Brock is back to doing real spy work with all his spy buddies, but Molotov and Monstroso are still out there. I like that they're really making the characters work for this growth; it makes all their little triumphs feel more special.

And the return of the science music and the filmstrip music made me so happy.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

proof of concept posted:

Two words into his first line I thought "that's Darryl from Bob's Burgers" and then later it turned out the character really was an older version of Darryl from Bob's Burgers.

I love this show.

Exactly.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

gently caress it, I'm in for the whole shirt club. I might end up selling some of the shirts I don't like, and it feels good to support the people who make something that gives me so much joy. Plus, gym shirts for the rest of my life!

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

He's also the one who asks "what if your name starts with no earthly letter?" in "Bright Lights, Dean City." He pops up all over the place.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

X_Toad posted:

Something that's been bugging me : when cornered by the abominations at the end, Doc says that Venturestein was once a henchman to two people in butterfly costumes. I see the Monarch, but who's the other one?

No, two henchmen. The guy who we get a POV from in "Viva los Muertos," and the black henchman whose scalp he now has.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

Amedeus posted:

Aw, man, I don't know if I can pick just one. Probably, "Nnnnnnice rear end, Sampson," or, "The guy from Labyrinth just turned into a bird!"

Maybe the "I'm going to kill your boys!"/"Join the club," convo from House of Mummies. Whatever my favorite is, it's probably from Season 2.

"Give me the hand of Osiris!"
"Give me head"

Or just the very end of Ghosts of the Sargasso when Tom's skull lands Doc.

But yeah, definitely can't pick just one.

Wonder what it says about the US that none of us were particularly surprised that the US military was sending reanimated corpses to murder striking latin american workers.

door Door door fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jun 13, 2013

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

"I'm only gonna say this once. I don't like you two, and if you ever - EVER - try to give me an order again, I will kill you both and feed your tiny, rotting bodies to the neighborhood dogs! ...Now, what were you saying?"
"Er...have a nice walk?"

"How 'bout you? Do I have to get a can of raid and spray you?"
"I didn't say nothin'."

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

Great episode. Was a bit taken aback by the stop motion but as soon as I realized it was a Harryhausen reference it all made sense. Also, doctails. The Hot Mummy and the Slim Jim Fizz. Rusty's terrible drinks are one of my favorite recurring jokes.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

I also just realized that White being a centaur in Billy's dream is a callback to the Conjectural Technologies stock certs.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

Love that we get more Cardholder and Doe-esque characters and that Mister is an actual title for them. I also enjoyed the SHED doctor from the beginning of season 4, as well as the plastic surgeon, making a comeback.

I also noticed in the preview that Dean has Buster's hand chair in his room. (not really a spoiler but I know how these threads can be)

Goddamn I love this show.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

Shindragon posted:

Honestly for me, Dermott is that one guy in the group everyone has. The one guy who bullshits about everything he does but he likes to kick it.

Exactly. The interactions between him and Hank when they're just BSing outside Ben's house during the Halloween ep were perfect and a reminder of why every crew puts up with its Dermot; he can be annoying and ridiculous 90% of the time, but the other 10% is pure gold.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

RandallODim posted:

My favorite incident of Doc just taking crazy poo poo in stride is the Grand Inquisitor's arrival in Twenty Years to Midnight. He's shocked for a moment to see this giant thing outside, but immediately just stops caring and off-handedly tells Brock to deal with it while getting ready to go back inside.

"THAT WAS A WEIRD ONE"

Also the episode where Hatred officially becomes his arch and he's just completely unfazed by everything Hatred suggests in his menace evaluation.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

Just realized that for seasons 2-4 they had incredibly epic sounding titles. "What Color is Your Cleansuit?" was an excellent episode but the titles pales a bit in comparison to "Powerless in the Face of Death," "Shadowman 9 in the Cradle of Destiny," and "Blood of the Father, Heart of Steel."

I also absolutely love all the absurd villains the creators come up with. This was an amazing episode.

edit: I just realized we're probably going to be seeing Dermott coping with the (actual? believed?) death of a man he just discovered was his father. Should lead to some good character development.

door Door door fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jul 18, 2013

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

DACK FAYDEN posted:

How can you list those and not Escape to the House of Mummies Part II?

Whoops, I meant the season premiere episode titles. But yes, that is also a great one.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

Cobalt Chloride posted:

Okay now I believe you're Hank's friend.

That episode was definitely one of my least favorites the first time around but on rewatches it's seriously grown on me.

I wanted to kick his rear end!

I wanted to build a machine to kick his rear end!

I wanted to build an empire to house the machine to kick his rear end!

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

prefect posted:

Brock was there to keep an eye on the Orb. :tinfoil:

Could be one and the same, or one as a natural outgrowth from the other. Stopping him from activating the Orb is stopping him from doing something that even Jonas didn't do.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

Man, season 2 has some classic loving lines in it.

"How, how? What are you, an owl?"

"Semper fidelis tyrannosaurus"

"Give me the Hand of Osiris"
"Give me head"

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

Steve Yun posted:

edit: also as a side note, for initially starting out as just a one-joke sassy gay stereotype, Shore Leave ended up being almost as great if not equally as competent and badass as Brock.

They've done this with a ton of one-note background characters (Hatred, Hunter, even St. Cloud to a degree), but Shore Leave is by far my favorite example. The (mental) lightsaber fight just showcased how drat good the animation has gotten on this show.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

Looks like the rumors were true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

So who wants to guess what's in the third pod in the Morphocave?