Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Livingtrope posted:

I tried playing this game a few years back, but it always felt like a slog and I just stopped after a few hours. I am curious about it, because I heard the later games get pretty :psyduck:

Does the Nietzsche quote in the title have any relevance, or is that just there because it sounds cool?

All the subtitles in this series have *some* relevance to the story of each game, with the strongest connection to the plot of the game being "Also sprach Zarathustra". When we're a bit further along in the LP and meet an important new character in 3 or 4 videos, perhaps Scurvy will bring it up in a video.

For this game, though, "The Will to Power" happens to be more "cool-sounding" than relevant to the game. Though, I will say I find Xenosaga's story amusing in a strange way. Up until the very, very end of Episode III, the heroes have very little idea of what's actually going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

ScurvyKip posted:

See I've never played Xenogears, so please feel free to point this stuff out. I know a few of the references, for example the Uzuki surname being shared between Shion and Citan.

From what I know, between playing Episode III three times or so, and reading The Dark Id's LP of Gears, there's a few, but mostly cosmetic and isolated to Episode III. In accordance with your spoiler rules, though, I won't touch on anything right now.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Green Intern posted:

Virgil alt account spotted.

On a more gameplay-related note: how challenging does the combat actually get? So far you've been chewing through everything at a good pace.

There's a boss about 40% of the way through the game who is really hard, and Scurvy probably knows who I'm talking about. Other than that, fights are mostly pretty easy until the final dungeon, where random enemies can do a real number on you. Last two fights are nothing special, though.

I'd say this game's difficulty is mostly centered around the boss battles, with the occasional random encounter late in the game that can be a major pain in the rear end because of enemies who are really durable and / or really powerful.

Overall, it's actually a fairly difficult game.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Hunter Noventa posted:

One frustrating thing that I remember, is that certain enemies only give out certain kinds of points. Like, I think that Gnosis only give out Ether points and Tech points, so if you're surrounded by Gnosis and in need of a new Skill for a boss fight, you're kind of boned.

Luckily that only happens once or twice, but yeah.

Really makes me glad you can switch party members mid-fight if you need to in II and III.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Tae posted:

Miltia was a really, really big shitstorm.

That's putting it mildly. In this series, with its legion of continuity and characters spanning three games, there's maybe a half dozen faces who have no relation to Miltia at all. It's honestly really cool going through each game and piecing things together piece by piece until you find out the whole story. Some really heavy stuff went down, that's about all I can say for about 2 1/2 games.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
"There's a plot reason for x" is like the anthem for this series, but basically it boils down to Shion never seeing KOS-MOS as a weapon. She likes envisioning KOS-MOS a stubborn, but well-meaning human, and built her as such, which is why she has the anime girl appearance. Shion also likes treating KOS-MOS similarly, which is why she always gets annoyed when people imagine KOS-MOS as little more than a weapon. She does not agree with that sentiment at all.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Keeshhound posted:

So Vector told Shion to make an anti-Gnosis weapon system, and she decided "lets make a magical robot princess!?" :psyduck:

Shion was entirely right in episode 4; she really doesn't belong in this field of work.

If it works, it works. I think only Vector's CEO could ever override Shion's decisions regarding anything, but I don't think he particularly cares much about the details.

Also, that the first KOS-MOS looked like she does now, just with a different paint job, it's another example of Shion never being able to let go of her past. KOS-MOS is also an important link to her past with Kevin.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Hey Scurvy, how in-depth will you go into the mini-games?

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

ScurvyKip posted:

Most of them I'll just go over briefly, but there's one in particular I'll be showing off fully.

The minigames in this game are all pretty good, honestly. I'll be waiting till the end of the game to show them off though.

The card game, I'm assuming? I always had trouble with that until I realized the best strategy was to stuff your deck with super weapons and avoid event card silliness and the like.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

My god, I'd forgotten how cartoonishly evil Margulis' introduction is. "See that planet? See all those people who just got disappeared? gently caress 'em. You got a problem with that? gently caress you too. Hey, little girl? gently caress you, and by the way I'm bringing someone from off the station just to give you a very special gently caress you." Margulis is a ton of fun, though he really doesn't come into his own until the next game (you'll be hearing variants on that pretty often :v:).

I'm conflicted about Margulis. On the one hand, he's near absolute as a villain. Nothing matters more than his objective. No loss of life is too great to make his goals not worth it, to him. He'd sooner see the world, so to speak, burn before he'll give up.

On the other, I know how his character arc turns out.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Only a few of the characters had the same voice for all three games. Matthews, Allen, Margulis, and Ziggurat are the only four I can mention now, but there are I think three others who were always voiced by the same person, but we haven't met them yet, so I won't mention them.

The majority of characters were voiced by the same person in two out of three games, and there's a select few who always changed their voice between games.

Sylphid fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jun 20, 2013

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Evil Creature posted:

That minigame should definitely be converted to android, with multiplayer i doubt i would do anything useful with my time for a long while. To whoever owns the Xenosaga franchise, please get that done right now.

Namco-Bandai has always owned the rights to the Xenosaga series. Monolith was just the developer.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

My favorite one of his has always been "don't take it too hard, you didn't stand a chance."

I've been waiting to hear it but no luck so far.

It's been a while since I played this game, but I think you get that quote if Ziggy finishes the fight in one blow. Could be wrong about that, though.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Shion, KOS-MOS, and Ziggy. You're gonna need that stamina and firepower. Shion for support and AGWS.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012
Now that I'm caught up with the thread, a few notes.

Since you were asked twice in videos, U-TIC stands for Unknown Territory Intervention and Creation. The second time you were asked, you were pretty close, but that's what it is. Basically their stated purpose is just to investigate all manner of strange things throughout the galaxy.

Also, more importantly, about the Gnosis names. Basically the reasoning the database gives to the names is that because Gnosis seem so otherworldly and strange compared to just about anything else humans know about, they're given names after mythological creatures. Fairies, minotaurs, gremlins, goblins, etc. It's a fairly reasonable explanation, all things considered.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

Some interesting trivia for the third game that is like, a billion light years away - (I just found this out myself)

8-4 was involved in the English localzation. You might know them as the people responsible for forum favorites such NIeR and Metal Gear Rising, both of which get heaped with praise for how liberally they translated the Japanese to English. Now Kip posted a small excerpt from the XSIII Database earlier and praised it while blasting XSI's. I've always noticed how much more colorful and "fun" the third game's Database is and now it makes a lot of sense.

To be fair, there are some "fun" entries in I's database, like with the entry on Jin saying they're sorry they couldn't make him a playable character this game, but he might turn up in the sequels, and the entry on the curry Shion made. That entry said that when someone was watching a preview of that part at a game show or something, the audience member was wondering what exactly was on the plate.

But yeah, III's database is heads and shoulders above I's, especially with how it updates itself over the course of the plot as new information becomes available.

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Anoia posted:

Don't tell me Xenosaga has chair monologues in later installments, too.

And I don't suppose Nephilim looking just like Elly, right down to the cross, is going to be explained anytime soon, is it? Or ever?

When it comes to Xenosaga and characters with a resemblance to Xenogears characters, it's a good bet it's just a coincidence. Although there are a few characters who are more or less straight out of Xenogears-design wise, there's really nothing concrete linking the two series.

And no, for the first question. Although it's pretty obvious this was a more ambitious series than what actually got made, there's no really blatant cost-cutting measures like the chair monologues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sylphid
Aug 3, 2012

Blind Sally posted:

You have to play the next two games to find out.

Actually, if you play the card game in this game, one of the cards has a picture of this guy on it, and he's called a Testament.

• Locked thread