Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

That looks pretty excellent. How important is it to brown the meat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Subjunctive posted:

That looks pretty excellent. How important is it to brown the meat?

Not that important, I'd wager. I probably half-rear end browned half of it because I was in a hurry.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!
My uncle tried burying cow parts in the ground ala the "traditional" barbacoa and everything rotted because he's an idiot.

He also turned our cabin's sauna into a fish smoking hut and then didn't keep the smoke going.

God he's dumb.

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

everyone needs a dipshit uncle to aid their food education.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
I want to make refried beans for tomorrow. I have 2 cups (dry) of pinto beans soaking right now. Should I pressure cook them today, fridge them, and fry them up tomorrow? Also, how much water do I need to use in the pressure cooker for the amount of beans I have? If it makes a difference, it's a jiggle top pressure cooker.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Do you have a time limit tomorrow? It sounds like a way to end up with beans that have been sitting at a restaurant buffet for a few hours, adding more water and such.

If the beans are soaked they only take about half hour or so to simmer and then mash up, season...

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
So I pressure cooked them for 10-12 min, then let them sit off the heat for 40 min or so (busy getting other poo poo ready). Then I fried them up with onions, garlic, bay leaves, salt, and oregano. The beans were a bit overcooked so I just needed to give them a good stir to make them super creamy. So incredibly good. Here's the rest:

Pollo Pibil (cooked in a dutch oven lined with banana leaves)
Steak (round marinated with orange juice, onion, garlic, cilantro)
Salsa Roja
Refried beans
Rice with lime zest
Pico de gallo
Red cabbage
Escabeche
Corn tortillas and flour tortillas

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I'm trying to improve my Mexican cooking. I have Bayless' Authentic Mexican and everything I've used it for has been great, but I've only done a little for a variety of reasons. A couple of quick notes, I'm aiming to avoid some things. Zero of these are things I won't eat, I'm not very picky, but: I try to cook mostly vegetarian for several reasons -- it's cheaper, it's better for me to eat meat only occasionally, I prefer to buy meat the same day I'm going to use it so it isn't always around -- so I'm trying to do this with minimal meat. I would also prefer to avoid lard if possible. I know it's all over Mexican cuisine, and don't get me wrong, I eat pork. I was raised Jewish and cooking with lard is just super weird to me and makes me feel guilty and I don't generally have it around.

So I'm after general advice, and also have a few questions:

- Can I substitute butter or oil for lard, or will this change flavor/texture/etc unacceptably?

- I mostly use dry spices, other than some stock for refried beans. I know I should probably be making sauces but I don't really know what I'm doing or what I should make for what dishes.

- Speaking of spices, I don't really have any feel for what goes with what. I feel like I have a bunch of spices that fit with "Mexican cuisine," like cumin, but I don't know what spices complement others. Any advice on this front?

- Maybe the preferences I mentioned are the reason, but I struggle to make things that aren't some variety of onions, beans, and chilis seasoned with the same spices, wrapped up in a corn or flour tortilla. I guess this one isn't a question. My repertoire just reminds me of Jim Gaffigan's story about being a server and having to tell people that everything on the menu was meat, cheese, and vegetables in a tortilla.

I'm not afraid to put in time and effort, and I don't mind doing stuff like making tortillas, I made corn tortillas last night. (Buying is fine too, I just wanted dinner and I had masa harina on hand and no store bought tortillas.)

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
So, butter has a lot more water in it than lard does, and thus is a poor substitute except in places like tamale dough, but then you have a difference in flavor. You can use vegetable shortening, I suppose, but I never have so can't really offer any advice there. Oil will be okay most of the time, but has the disadvantage of not being solid at room temperature so you can't cut it into dough or anything. Lard also has a particular taste that is very important in the recipes it's called for.

For spices, you just have to play with them to get a handle on where they belong. I don't understand your question about "dried" spices though - what's the problem there?

If you have that Bayless book, you should see that there's a lot of things that aren't just "stuff in a tortilla" - tons of soups and stews, tons of things to be served over rice, sopes, sandwiches and breakfast breads, etc. The thing is, though, that you'll always see tortillas around because that's like a primary caloric source in Mexican cuisine - it's like bread in France or rice in Japan. Embrace the tortilla.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

The first thing I would use in place of lard would be schmaltz personally. Sort of depends on the application though beyond that.
I'm not sure where you're going with "I struggle to make things that aren't some variety of onions, beans, and chilis seasoned with the same spices, wrapped up in a corn or flour tortilla."
There's a pretty vast world of food under the umbrella of Mexican and a good chunk of it doesn't necessarily include the above. Bayless' books cover a decent range, maybe try more out of that or look at his others to see if there's another more to your tastes. Diana Kennedy's books are... from a different era, but there's still a lot of information there. Off the cuff, here are two things I make occasionally that are vegetarian and may be outside the realm of your usual cooking.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

Hauki posted:

The first thing I would use in place of lard would be schmaltz personally. Sort of depends on the application though beyond that.
I'm not sure where you're going with "I struggle to make things that aren't some variety of onions, beans, and chilis seasoned with the same spices, wrapped up in a corn or flour tortilla."
There's a pretty vast world of food under the umbrella of Mexican and a good chunk of it doesn't necessarily include the above. Bayless' books cover a decent range, maybe try more out of that or look at his others to see if there's another more to your tastes. Diana Kennedy's books are... from a different era, but there's still a lot of information there. Off the cuff, here are two things I make occasionally that are vegetarian and may be outside the realm of your usual cooking.

That soup is almost straight up ful madamas and it looks fantastic. Definitely trying that when the weather cools off a bit.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Mr. Wiggles posted:

So, butter has a lot more water in it than lard does, and thus is a poor substitute except in places like tamale dough, but then you have a difference in flavor. You can use vegetable shortening, I suppose, but I never have so can't really offer any advice there. Oil will be okay most of the time, but has the disadvantage of not being solid at room temperature so you can't cut it into dough or anything. Lard also has a particular taste that is very important in the recipes it's called for.

For spices, you just have to play with them to get a handle on where they belong. I don't understand your question about "dried" spices though - what's the problem there?

If you have that Bayless book, you should see that there's a lot of things that aren't just "stuff in a tortilla" - tons of soups and stews, tons of things to be served over rice, sopes, sandwiches and breakfast breads, etc. The thing is, though, that you'll always see tortillas around because that's like a primary caloric source in Mexican cuisine - it's like bread in France or rice in Japan. Embrace the tortilla.

Hauki posted:

Okay, thanks, that makes sense. Regarding the dry spices, I just meant I thought maybe I should be making more liquid (wet) sauces. Molés and whatnot.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

angor posted:

That soup is almost straight up ful madamas and it looks fantastic. Definitely trying that when the weather cools off a bit.

Yeah, it's pretty similar. For what it's worth, I use skinned or split dry favas for that soup so they sort of break down into a thick porridge as they cook and skin-on for ful so they hold their shape & have a different texture. The saffron & tomato should also come across fairly well and helps differentiate the flavor profile a little from ful.

guppy posted:

Okay, thanks, that makes sense. Regarding the dry spices, I just meant I thought maybe I should be making more liquid (wet) sauces. Molés and whatnot.
Sure? I mean, depends what you want to eat. I love molé, but it's more of a special occasion thing for me than like a regular dinner. We usually make molé negro, but there's a fair bit of variety there to play with. Make your own salsas, most of them are incredibly simple. Where do you live, and can you get good quality/decent variety of fresh or dried chiles locally?

edit: also tamales, while labor-intensive, are a lot of fun to make. Ideally you'd make a shitton in one go and freeze what you don't eat right away. We've done plenty of bean, vegetable and/or cheese versions with various sauces in or on top.

Hauki fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jun 25, 2015

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917
I have had really good results making tamales with smoked duck fat. I'm sure original recipe duck fat would be fine!

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Cross-post question from the general questions thread:

I live in the Middle East and there's no way for me to get Mexican stuff here. I have a friend coming back from the US and has graciously offered to bring stuff back for me.

I want to stock up on dried chillies. Ancho, Pasilla, Guajillo, California, Arbol, New Mexico, Negro, and Morita. Doesn't have to be ALL of them, but as many varieties I can get would be great. Preferably a kilo of each. It'll need to be shipped to Phoenix so he can pack them. Where is the best place to order something like this from?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

If he's in Phoenix, just tell him to pick them up at the supermarket and you'll pay him back.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
So I have that thing that makes Cilantro taste like soap, is there anything that tastes close enough to the stuff to use as a substitute?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

No.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porophyllum_linaria

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

hmm would that have any reasonable chance of being findable here in California?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Isn't culantro close but mimics the flavor in a different way w/o the soap people tasting it?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Eh, not so much. It's like the difference between sage and bay leaf: different flavors, different strengths.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Cilantro >>>>>>>>>>>>>> culantro

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

drrockso20 posted:

So I have that thing that makes Cilantro taste like soap, is there anything that tastes close enough to the stuff to use as a substitute?

I have that too, but my girlfriend's been making me eat cilantro anyway. I'm at this awkward point where I still don't really like it, but if I eat a dish without it, I miss it. Worst of both worlds. I'm hoping to break through the other side and start liking it at some point.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Had this stuff at a Mexican place, it was called salsa but it was much thicker, had oil and chilis in it and not much else. Any idea what it was?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

BraveUlysses posted:

Had this stuff at a Mexican place, it was called salsa but it was much thicker, had oil and chilis in it and not much else. Any idea what it was?

Well Salsa is just Spanish for sauce, so that's accurate, beyond that though I have no idea what it could be

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Looks really red so maybe achiote paste/oil?

flesy
May 6, 2007
y=mx+b

BraveUlysses posted:

was it really spicy in a smoky sort of way??

thats chile seco, you fry up chile japones and chile de arbol with oil and then blend it. shits dope but will probably mace your whole house.

Sweet As Sin
May 8, 2007

Hee-ho!!!

Grimey Drawer
Ohh this thread is right up my alley.

I have a vegetarian recipe to share! I eat a ton of meat but when I have special cravings I make jamaica (hibiscus flower) tacos. As a bonus you get concentrate stuff to make drinks, and they are super easy to make.

Look at these fuckers - Not my picture because I haven't made them in a while, but imagine these:

1 cup jamaica flowers
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
2 teaspoons sugar
1/4 white onion, finely chopped
your favorite oil to taste (I love peanut or sesame)
2 liters water
Guacamole (not posting my recipe. I saw some abominations in the thread but if you like it go ahead)
6 corn tortillas

Boil the jamaica for 5 minutes. Drain and use the liquid for a drink by sweetening it to your liking.

Press the flowers with your hands to remove excess water, then chop into small pieces.

Heat oil in pan and fry the onion. I love to caramelize them. Add flowers, sugar, and some salt. Add garlic.

Warm up tortillas, then fill up with flowers and guacamole. Enjoy!

The flowers are acidic, so you might want to reduce your lime in the guacamole.

Sweet As Sin fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Oct 10, 2015

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos

flesy posted:

was it really spicy in a smoky sort of way??

thats chile seco, you fry up chile japones and chile de arbol with oil and then blend it. shits dope but will probably mace your whole house.

So like the first salsa here, then, huh? https://youtu.be/xHEmrFJR6jo

I also like how the second salsa she makes is just "eh, pan roast these tomatoes and then put them in the blender with the remnants from the first salsa." Smart, and I bet it's good.

mizbachevenim
Jul 13, 2002

If you fake the funk, your nose will grow

marshalljim posted:

I also like how the second salsa she makes is just "eh, pan roast these tomatoes and then put them in the blender with the remnants from the first salsa." Smart, and I bet it's good.

I got a little anxious need to like or favorite this post. I hate what I've become.

Thank you for this, it brought a couple ideas together for a table sauce I've been trying to recreate from a taquiera I miss dearly.

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Sweet As Sin posted:

Jamaica flower tacos.

These are way too delicious. Just one tip: remember to thoroughly wash the flowers before cooking them. Taking a bite and feeling a handful of dust ain't a pleasant sensation.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

marshalljim posted:

Awesome, totally making these for the next batch of tacos.

Siselmo
Jun 16, 2013

hey there

Sweet As Sin posted:

Jamaica tacos

Thirding this so bad. Not a vegetarian myself, but I've eaten these when with a vegetarian friend and they are soooooo good.

Plus, you get a week's worth of agua de jamaica.

Sweet As Sin
May 8, 2007

Hee-ho!!!

Grimey Drawer
It is one of my favorites, definitely. I would make it more often but having to get the avocados in advance kinda ruins the spontaneity and I refuse to eat without guacamole.

I will try to get you guys local recipes, I didn't see any foods from my area and you are missing out!

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
You can solve this by ALWAYS having avocados on hand.

Sweet As Sin
May 8, 2007

Hee-ho!!!

Grimey Drawer

Let me say that blue corn tortillas and salsa with chile de árbol just improve this recipe

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009
Hi all,

expat :mexico: here, thought I'd share my favorite soup, Caldo Tlalpeño. It doubles as one of the best hangover cures, second to menudo (cow stomach soup) or 'leche de tigre' or 'tiger's milk' which is basically the leftover liquid from ceviche.

I've seen all sorts of abominations of this dish outside of Mexico. So let's start with a picture of how it is supposed to look like (cilantro not needed, but I like to add some chopped raw onion and cilantro sometimes):

It's basically chicken soup, with avocado, chipotle, and oaxaca cheese. Served with lime on the side.

- 1 lime per serving
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 3 roma tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4 white onion, chopped
- 1 haas avocado, ripe
- 1/2 cup of chickpeas
- 1 chicken breast, preferably w/bone
- 1 sprig of epazote, you can substitute for about 1 tablespoon of dried epazote (easy to find in korean/hispanic markets in the northeast)
- 1 small oaxaca cheese ball (white, string cheese)
- 2 carrots
- 1 small can of chipotles in adobo

salt, pepper, and some oil.

Leave the chickpeas in water overnight or when you leave for work. Cook in a pot with water until they are soft but have not turned to mush 1 to 2 hours. You could also use a pressure cooker and they are ready in 30 minutes. Drain. Set aside.

Cut the carrots in manageable pieces, I do half circles, some places use quarter circles, I prefer the soup a bit rustic. Set aside.

Boil the chicken breast and cook for about 30 minutes, add the epazote and carrots and cook for another 10 minutes.

Take out the chicken breast and let it cool a bit.

Sweat the garlic and onion with some oil for a couple of minutes, then add the tomato and cook for another 5 minutes. Let it cool, then blend.

Proceed to shred the chicken breast.

Add the pureed mixture, chicken, chickpeas, and 2 whole chipotle peppers back into the water and cook for another 5-10 minutes.

Season with salt to taste.

For serving:

Cut some oaxaca cheese into little squares. I do about 2 tablespoons for 1 bowl.
Cut some avocado into little squares. I do a quarter or half per bowl, love this poo poo.
Cut a lime or two for easy squeezin'. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6_p2e8LEP0

I put the cheese in the bowl, add the soup, add the avocado, and squeeze the lime to taste as I eat. You can get a small plate with chipotle in adobo puree that you can add for an extra kick.

Hope somebody else falls in love with this soup, it is delicious.

ogarza fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Oct 18, 2015

gamingCaffeinator
Sep 6, 2010

I shall sing you the song of my people.

ogarza posted:

Hi all,

expat :mexico: here, thought I'd share my favorite soup. It doubles as one of the best hangover cures, second to menudo (cow stomach soup) or 'leche de tigre' or 'tiger's milk' which is basically the leftover liquid from ceviche.

I've seen all sorts of abominations of this dish outside of Mexico. So let's start with a picture of how it is supposed to look like (cilantro not needed, but I like to add some chopped raw onion and cilantro sometimes):

It's basically chicken soup, with avocado, chipotle, and oaxaca cheese. Served with lime on the side.

- 1 lime per serving
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 3 roma tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4 white onion, chopped
- 1 haas avocado, ripe
- 1/2 cup of chickpeas
- 1 chicken breast, preferably w/bone
- 1 sprig of epazote, you can substitute for about 1 tablespoon of dried epazote (easy to find in korean/hispanic markets in the northeast)
- 1 small oaxaca cheese ball (white, string cheese)
- 2 carrots
- 1 small can of chipotles in adobo

salt, pepper, and some oil.

Leave the chickpeas in water overnight or when you leave for work. Cook in a pot with water until they are soft but have not turned to mush 1 to 2 hours. You could also use a pressure cooker and they are ready in 30 minutes. Drain. Set aside.

Cut the carrots in manageable pieces, I do half circles, some places use quarter circles, I prefer the soup a bit rustic. Set aside.

Boil the chicken breast and cook for about 30 minutes, add the epazote and carrots and cook for another 10 minutes.

Take out the chicken breast and let it cool a bit.

Sweat the garlic and onion with some oil for a couple of minutes, then add the tomato and cook for another 5 minutes. Let it cool, then blend.

Proceed to shred the chicken breast.

Add the pureed mixture, chicken, chickpeas, and 2 whole chipotle peppers back into the water and cook for another 5-10 minutes.

Season with salt to taste.

For serving:

Cut some oaxaca cheese into little squares. I do about 2 tablespoons for 1 bowl.
Cut some avocado into little squares. I do a quarter or half per bowl, love this poo poo.
Cut a lime or two for easy squeezin'. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6_p2e8LEP0

I put the cheese in the bowl, add the soup, add the avocado, and squeeze the lime to taste as I eat. You can get a small plate with chipotle in adobo puree that you can add for an extra kick.

Hope somebody else falls in love with this soup, it is delicious.

Hiky crap. When I was a tiny tiny girl, my parents and grandparents would take me to a restaurant that served this soup. I've never known what to call it, but I remember scarfing it down. Thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009

gamingCaffeinator posted:

Hiky crap. When I was a tiny tiny girl, my parents and grandparents would take me to a restaurant that served this soup. I've never known what to call it, but I remember scarfing it down. Thank you!

Caldo Tlalpeño

• Locked thread