Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

Rocksicles posted:

i'm in australia too man, what city you in?
I'm in Perth, and as far as I know, there's no Mexican cuisine shops in this city or state.
If there's anyone holding out on me otherwise, let me know, or post in this thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3539639

I know there are ones in SA, QLD, and NSW, but postage is a bitch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Rocksicles posted:

That's pretty much world wide dude, it's a stock standard aussie style taco. Guacamole and sour cream and that badboy too.
Yeah, but it derives from Tex Mex, so that's what we did with it.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Plan Z posted:

Yeah, but it derives from Tex Mex, so that's what we did with it.

yeah it's a sad state of affairs. I've had home made traditional Mexican food once in my life and anything else has been "Mexican" in name only. Puerco Pibil Tamales are hands down the finest thing i have ever eaten in 37 years.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Plan Z posted:

This is a poor photo, because it doesn't show how delicious the tamal al pastor on the right ended up being. The outside was a red chili masa with pork shoulder and pineapple chunks rolled up inside. The liquidy red stuff is our table salsa, a 3-chile and tomato one (chipotle, guajillo, and cascavel). The taco on the left is black bean and chorizo, again with tomatillo salsa. The photo doesn't show it, but the meat is concentrated underneath the beans.
Not sure I understand the logic of beans in tacos, especially with chorizo. Chorizo, beans, salsa = 0 texture.

Plan Z posted:

This was a mixture of us having fun, and also saying "fine, loving here you go" to the hicks who whine that we don't serve ground beef tacos, or as one woman put it, "reggilur taykos." It's local ground beef, tomatoes, colby cheese, spinach, salsa, and our own queso fresco that we did for 4th of July week that we advertised as "The All-American Taco." It tasted okay, but just a little too much like an upgraded school cafeteria taco. Our regulars didn't like it as much as our others, but it pulled in some new customers.
All american taco is hard shell and cries for iceberg... come on!!

Though if I was to design my own "all american taco", it would probably be smoked pork, aioli, and deep-fried pickles

edit: or, more logically, um, ground beef, lettuce, tomato, special sauce (ketchup + mayo + a little lemon), cheddar, grilled onions... the most american flavor profile

No Wave fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jul 8, 2013

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

No Wave posted:

Not sure I understand the logic of beans in tacos, especially with chorizo. Chorizo, beans, salsa = 0 texture.

This is like a standard mexican thing.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

This is like a standard mexican thing.
Thought about it, and you're right. I'm dumb.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I don't think refried beans have been discussed yet, have they? I've basically just been taking really hot oil and dropping some beans in to fry a bit and then smashing them. I've been doing it so the oil hisses a lot when the beans go in. Then I'll add some extra liquid if needed. Am I missing anything? I've been using black beans for this too, are pintos better for this? I know pintos are basically the only variety in tex-mex.

(I'm sure the answer is animal fat instead of oil but I'm a vegetarian so that's out).

Veet Voojagig
Oct 15, 2012
Refried beans are the only beans worthy of being inside a tortilla, and even then only as the tasty glue that balances the tortilla with the meat.

Pintos are the staple for refried beans. My recipe is 1kg beans, half an onion, 1 or 2 garlic cloves, 2 tablespoons chicken stock, salt and a touch of oil in a pressure cooker for an hour or slow cooking overnight. Once cooked I usually take half to turn into frijoles charros and refry the other half by adding 500ml of oil on the stove and constanly stirring until you get the desired texture. The amount of oil varies according to how healthy/delicious you want them to be.

Bonus unhealthy-deliciousness points awarded for using lard, I hear they are delicious but it's one of those crazy unhealthy things only oblivious grandmas continue to make and I haven't had the chance to try them yet.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Lard isn't really the killer it's made out to be. I wouldn't eat a block per day but I'll eat food made with it without fear.

Oakland Martini
Feb 14, 2008
Refugee from the great account hijacking of 2008

Sjurygg posted:

Lard isn't really the killer it's made out to be. I wouldn't eat a block per day but I'll eat food made with it without fear.

One of the Bayless books claims that lard is substantially less unhealthy than butter (posting from my phone, don't have the book on hand).

Plus fresh lard is amazing. My local Mexican butcher sells fresh manteca, and I use that in place of other fats in pretty much every Mexican dish I cook.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

TMMadman posted:

Does Mexican street food count for this thread? Because I absolutely love elotes.

Boiled fresh corn served with butter, mayo, cayenne pepper/chili powder, cheese (cojita I believe) and I prefer to add a little lime. It's absolutely delicious and I love living in Chicago cause the food carts are all over the place. However, since I am always driving when I get it, I just get it served in a cup:

So I finally made this!

Sadly no picture before it was stirred up, with the cheese and chili powder on top it was kinda pretty. I used smoked corn and it was pretty great.

Also refried beans without lard/chicken stock are pretty sad things.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Eeyo posted:

I don't think refried beans have been discussed yet, have they? I've basically just been taking really hot oil and dropping some beans in to fry a bit and then smashing them. I've been doing it so the oil hisses a lot when the beans go in. Then I'll add some extra liquid if needed. Am I missing anything? I've been using black beans for this too, are pintos better for this? I know pintos are basically the only variety in tex-mex.

(I'm sure the answer is animal fat instead of oil but I'm a vegetarian so that's out).
Chop up some onions, sweat them in a tablespoon of oil (preferably lard, throw in some jalapenos if you want), add beans, add chicken stock, simmer until beans start getting mushy, reduce until creamy. Remember to season (with salt). Bonus for epazote.

I prefer black beans for it personally. There really doesn't have to be a lot of fat in it. The concept of using sixteen ounces of oil for a pound of dried beans is, honestly, disgusting, and I'm having trouble believing that's not a typo or something.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
I've always preferred the flavor of black beans to refried beans. The amount of fat that goes into them is just off-putting.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

You really do use equal parts fat to dry beans, so much flavor.

I like to char some onions and jalapeños in lard before I add it to my beans for mashing/blending

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I only use peruanos. They are creamier.

bolo yeung
Apr 23, 2010
True that on peruanos. If you can get peruanos in your area IMO there's no excuse to ever using pintos. Creamy and with an almost "potato-y" flavor.

Fry some chile de arbol and whole garlic cloves in the fat before adding the beans. Take the garlic and chile out of the fat (before adding the beans) and blend the chile and garlic with boiled/roasted tomatillos/tomatoes. Add some drained beans to the flavored fat and let it bubble for a bit. Mash and add bean liquid as necessary. Refried beans and killer table salsa all in one go. Make some tortillas and you have a humble meal from the pueblo.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

No Wave posted:

I read the follow-up posts, but when cooked correctly (i.e., not into that weird, overcooked near-mush that most Americans prefer), the beans provide great texture, and are almost meatier than the chorizo.

quote:

All american taco is hard shell and cries for iceberg... come on!!

Though if I was to design my own "all american taco", it would probably be smoked pork, aioli, and deep-fried pickles

edit: or, more logically, um, ground beef, lettuce, tomato, special sauce (ketchup + mayo + a little lemon), cheddar, grilled onions... the most american flavor profile
I fought for this so hard, but in the end, we didn't want to cheapen it just as a joke to our customers, charging them money for a "IS THIS WHAT YOU WANT *squeezes taco into mush three inches in front of a customer's face*?" joke. We were ready to do the cafeteriaco, but decided against it, since we served a delicious pork belly and poblano motherfucker a week before, and didn't want our second-return customers wondering what the gently caress. So we just went around to the various farmer's market stands, and picked up all of the ingredients.

Also, the fryer broke.

This week, we're going to be serving a few thousand tacos at a local arts festival, so be ready to see my resignation from the culinary world sometime Monday evening. Either that, or I'll just get super drunk and start talking to a telephone pole about how all of our food is gluten free, but that it was prepared in a kitchen that contains gluten and if he would like a glass of jamaica with that tamal.

Plan Z fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jul 10, 2013

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Plan Z posted:

or I'll just get super drunk and start talking to a telephone pole about how all of our food is gluten free, but that it was prepared in a kitchen that contains gluten

Food service must be the worst drat job :eng99:

Making tacos tonight. Will have to go grab some avocados. I really wish they would last longer, I'd love to just always have some on hand.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Avocados do last quite a while, just pick some under-ripe, and leave them in the fridge. Should last 2 or 3 weeks.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.
Does anybody have a recipe for champurrado that does not involve Ibarra or Abuelita chocolate bricks? I hate the horrible cinnamon flavour that they have and the tamale place I go to doesn't make champurrado in the summer so I'm at a loss for good chocolate atole until autumn hits.

Siselmo
Jun 16, 2013

hey there
Man, I wish I had something to share here. I'm Mexican, but I live in Tijuana, which is, like, one of the most americanized cities in Mexico :cheeky:

About beans, I'm reminded of the frijoles puercos my mother makes. She cooks the beans (and refries them with oil, but sometimes lard every now and then. We prefer peruanos), then adds cooked chorizo, two or three sardines in tomato sauce (mashed with a fork, so that they end up looking like a purée), chopped onion, grated cotija cheese (a Mexican cheese that is dry and very salty. The internet tells me you can use parmesan as a sub, but I haven't tried it), and finely chopped jalapeño. It tastes like heaven :haw:

Siselmo fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jul 11, 2013

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

I don't understand how people can hear that we have a chorizo and black bean taco with homemade tomato salsa (all local ingredients), pull out their wallet in an excited hurry, then look offended when they find out that instead of preservative-loaded hard shell tortillas, we serve stone-ground corn tortillas made from scratch. Like, one woman scrunched her face like I told her that chorizo was actually made from beetle wings. Pennsylvania makes me happy, Pennsylvanians make me drink.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Well you could still fry your corn tortillas into a hard shell. I personally like a corn tortilla between soft and hard crunchy. Like medium crunchy.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Edminster posted:

Does anybody have a recipe for champurrado that does not involve Ibarra or Abuelita chocolate bricks? I hate the horrible cinnamon flavour that they have and the tamale place I go to doesn't make champurrado in the summer so I'm at a loss for good chocolate atole until autumn hits.

In case anybody else was wondering the same thing, I learned that Goya makes the same kind of chocolate but without the cinnamon so I ended up using that and it came out fine. Ended up using this recipe because it looked about right, omitted the cinnamon and I've got a fairly good (if a bit sweet) champurrado. I think next time I'll try half as much sugar though as I seem to have lost my sweet tooth over the years.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Well you could still fry your corn tortillas into a hard shell. I personally like a corn tortilla between soft and hard crunchy. Like medium crunchy.

Pretty hard on an outdoor truck, or at least on the kind we have. That, and a well-made tortilla has sort of a crisp outer skin, and meaty, steamy inside. It's more chewy than soft, at least for yellow corn. My beef comes with the fact that people that I'm a total loving piece of poo poo (we got insulted by one woman today for not serving "normal tacos") for making a home-made tortilla and not a semi-stale cafeteria taco. If there is one thing that customers do that sets me off, it's that kind of thing.

I'm also getting the itch to make tamarindo again. I'm just not a big fan of breaking down those tamarind pods. Does anyone know any cool little tricks with those, or is it pretty much going to be the time-sink that it usually is.

immortalyawn
May 28, 2013

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Fo3 posted:

I'm in Perth, and as far as I know, there's no Mexican cuisine shops in this city or state.
If there's anyone holding out on me otherwise, let me know, or post in this thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3539639

I know there are ones in SA, QLD, and NSW, but postage is a bitch.

The Re-Store in Northbridge (maybe the one in leederville too?) sells a very small selection of Mexican products. Goya brand mole in jars, a variety of chilles - ancho, poblano, chipotle and a few others, adobo sauce in a can, a few other sauces and things.

Its not great, and its over priced, but is worth a look.

immortalyawn fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jul 12, 2013

bolo yeung
Apr 23, 2010

Plan Z posted:

I'm also getting the itch to make tamarindo again. I'm just not a big fan of breaking down those tamarind pods. Does anyone know any cool little tricks with those, or is it pretty much going to be the time-sink that it usually is.

Not sure how you do it, but the way I know is:

1) soak peeled tamarind pods in hot water for a long time (until water is around room temp)
2) wash your hands/wrists/forearms WELL
3) dip your hands into the water and rub the pods between your hands until all the pulp has dissolved into the water
4) pour all of this through a strainer then sweeten

Shouldn't take too long.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Can you not get the blocks of tamarind pulp? You still have to soak/pass them but at least there's no breaking down pods.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Thoht posted:

Can you not get the blocks of tamarind pulp? You still have to soak/pass them but at least there's no breaking down pods.

We could, but we get tamarind pods dirt cheap compared to the pulp block, so that's been our way. It's not even like hard work or anything. It just gets mind-numbing more than anything, since we do gallons of the stuff. It's my favorite drink, so I feel like it's worth it, but my buddy I work with disagrees.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
Ceviche was mentioned as a request on page 1, but no one ever came through.

Please come through.

A woman my mother knows made it for us the other day with a recipe she got from Good Housekeeping. It was basically pico, some cooked shrimp, and some god damned strawberries. I remember the real stuff i used to eat in California and I want it, badly.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Well, when I was on a fishing charter in Cozumel, they prepared as follows:

Cut fish into small strips (you can use anything really, I can confirm that it was excellent with Dorado)
Cut onions, tomatoes, and chiles into equally sized pieces
mix together in a bowl with salt and plenty of lime juice, let sit for about 10-15 minutes until fish is "cooked" but still juicy
Add fresh cilantro and serve with hot quesadillas

I need to ask my Peruvian relatives how they do it, but the above was plenty tasty.

AmericanBarbarian
Nov 23, 2011

The Dregs posted:

A woman my mother knows made it for us the other day with a recipe she got from Good Housekeeping. It was basically pico, some cooked shrimp, and some god damned strawberries.

I'm so sorry. That is one of the most blasphemous cooking sins.

Back onto the subject of tomatillos, I really recommend adding a small number of freshly chopped tomatillos to your cooked sauces. It really contributes to the fresh tart taste and makes it a more well rounded sauce.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

The Dregs posted:

Ceviche was mentioned as a request on page 1, but no one ever came through.

Please come through.

A woman my mother knows made it for us the other day with a recipe she got from Good Housekeeping. It was basically pico, some cooked shrimp, and some god damned strawberries. I remember the real stuff i used to eat in California and I want it, badly.

Yeah, gringo sources will tell you to cook all of the food first (because they don't understand the denaturing), and I've seen a few that add a lot of sugary or sweet stuff, since I'm assuming that they think a lot of people don't want a bitter bite in the flavor. It's pretty bad.

Just start off by cutting down your fish (very commonly shrimp or whitefish, but I've seen stuff like octopus and tuna done with it). Cut some veggies like sweeter onions or tomatoes into the same size chops as the fish, and mix them up. For acid, it's a rough estimate, but I'd put about a 1/3rd cup of lime juice for every pound or so of fish. Lemon is okay in small amounts, but can leave a bad aftertaste. Stir in the acid well, and after about an hour or so, it'll be ready. I typically throw it on fresh tortillas with avocado slices. Some regional stuff like Yucatacan will throw in different acids like fresh-squeezed orange juice or grapefruit juice (pure juice, not the sugary drink form).

One thing I've been doing lately is letting my lime juice sit for an hour or so before using it. A cook friend sent me an article from a chef (a popular Mexican one whose name I'm forgetting) that examined lime juice, and taste-tests on different limonadas concluded that batches made from lime juice that was allowed to sit tasted better than fresh squeezed lime juice hastily thrown into the mix. I don't know if it's confirmation bias or not, but it tastes better to me when I let it sit either at room temp or slightly chilled before mixing it into cold dishes.

Plan Z fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jul 14, 2013

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Cooking Issues talked about that: http://www.cookingissues.com/2010/10/01/fresh-lime-juice-wtf/

indoflaven
Dec 10, 2009
I hung out with some Mexicans over the 4th. They couldn't speak English but I watched them make beer can chicken tacos. Beer can cook the chicken and shred it. Then they boiled some tomatillos and other various peppers which they mashed into a salsa. Then they grilled the tortillas. It is amazing and I have since replicated it. All these years I've been steaming my tortillas like an idiot.

flesy
May 6, 2007
y=mx+b

FishBulb posted:

Can I request a recipie for flan in here or is that not even authentically mexican. I don't even know but my wife loves it and I've never been able to make it "right" it needs to be thick and creamy.

hi GUYS I haven't been around these parts in a few years but I'm also mexican and even own a latino grocery store with my mom, I know a thing or two about mexican food to say the least. lol at the people putting grapefruit and mayo in your guac, don't ever fuckin do that please. Everyone here is saying that pre made corn tortillas are awful terribleblahblahblah but there are actually some very great, the brands I like recommending El Milagro, they have a little 12 pack for 75cents and taste probably better then all the really thick tortillas ya'll are cooking up. Popocatepetl is another great brand, but you will probably have your own brands depending on where you live. The aforementioned ones are based out of Chicago I believe. just go to your local mexican store and ask what the mexicans get. Also you guys can buy masa at your latino grocer and make tortillas, tamales, gorditas or whatever way easier!

Either way someone asked for a flan recipe here goes my families, you can add coconut or some poo poo if you'd like.

12 eggs
1 can of evaporated milk
1 can of condensed milk
teaspoon vanilla extract
a cup of sugar

first you cook the sugar over medium heat right until it turns to a liquid, while still hot pour it out into the pan you're going to make and spread it out over the pan, the sugar should just get hard. Set aside

beat the eggs until they're completely yellow liquid, don't whip them though! after wards add the can of evaporated milk and like 3/4's of the can of condensed milk mix together, add the vanilla extract put it in your sugar encrusted dish and cook at 350 until a tooth pick comes out clean and ta da you have a delicious wonderful flan. You can get really creative with this and add whatever else I've used peels and it came out really good. I can chime in with some other recipes as I make them at the store. I have to make chorizo at the store maybe I'll document it if I have time.

For ceviche just add a lot of lime and shrimp to pico de gallo and serve on crackers, for another good recipe we add thin rear end carrot cut through in a cheese grater, add cucumber, chile serrano, purple onion, limon and shrimp of course.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Sjurygg posted:

Yeah lards better for you than butter, probably better than shortening too.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

In Finland I can't even find corn tortillas. Wheat tortillas is all they got here.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

I don't think hominy flour can be found anywhere with a working health care system. For a little while I thought "harina P.A.N." was the stuff they use, but it's what you make Venezuelan arepas from, and it's not nixtamalized either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I've tried looking for hominy for ages wihout success. Corn meal has also been hard to find but Polenta from Risenta is a workable alternative. I've made nice cornbread from it in the past, as well as grits.

• Locked thread