Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Can we talk good/bad about Rick Bayless in this thread?

The Bananana posted:

I live in Texas, and more specifically in an area that has a very large Mexican and Hispanic concentration. As such, there are many Mexican restaurants around. Even though I myself am mexican in heritage, I was born and raised here, and I often wonder: how accurate is it to call the food I'm eating "Mexican food?"
Sure, it tastes good, but is it authentic? I am almost ashamed to say I don't know. Whats the opinion on Tex-Mex, and other hybrids, vs authentic Mexican food, and does the real deal nerit any more cost or value, and any more searching for? Or is it simply good enough that the food taste good?
I live in the midwest and I'm from a family of Mexican immigrants, they were fieldworkers for a generation, and then factory workers.

Everyone was poor and lived in a shed on the farmers land, so it was beans, rice and tortillas every day. Chicken and beef and cheese were a luxury. If you could find some tomato or lettuce it was used. That means if you were to serve these people 'Mexican food' like ceviche or tortas they would want to know what the gently caress you were doing.

These are the greatest corn tortillas you will ever buy. They don't rip up when you put them in grease. They're delicious for tacos, tostadas, or enchilidas.

Also, learn to make your own flour tortillas (like the recipe above) or find a local bakery that makes them. Anything you find in a store with a national brand is dogshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

YEAH DOG posted:

If anyone has a recipe for loose Mexican chorizo, especially one that isn't super oily, that would be great! It seems like they are always greasy when I get them from the grocers.

The not-greasy chorizo is the worst stuff!

I use it for the standard Mexican breakfast of eggs+chorizo+refried beans and tortillas. You can also mix it in your beans for tostadas or use it to stuff peppers.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Anyone care to share enchilada or chicken mole recipes? The only reason I group them together is that my dad and grandmother make it is pretty much the same way for either dish.

Some places I've been to have a real tomatoey sauce which I don't care for, or a really dark dark brown or almost purple sauce that I also don't like. I don't know the exact measurements but he uses something like a tablespoon and a half of red chili powder, garlic, onion, a little oregano, salt and pepper, mixed with a toasted flour and shortening roux. Then the corn tortillas are dunked in hot grease for a few seconds, then hot sauce, and stuffed with cheese and onions, and little more cheese sprinkled on top.

I don't mind chicken in them but ground beef is just weird. When white people bring their 'enchiladas' into work potlucks I always cringe because of all the tomato sauce, ground beef, and flour tortillas cramed in a baking dish and enough cheese piled high to make it look like a lasagna.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Never, ever, by the fat-free or vegetarian cans of refried beans. They're so terrible. Mashing your own beans with the oil of your choice is the way to go. Bacon grease if you're not a vegetarian ;)

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Toast the rice in a little oil with a large union, sliced in half and face down. Add chicken broth (you're making chicken AND rice, right?), tomato paste (quite a bit, half a little can for say 6 servings), sliced green bell pepper, a little garlic powder, and the secret ingredient is oregano. Some places add cumin but I think it makes it taste funny. Some people take the onion out, I always steal it and eat it after I eat my rice.

I like adding a bunch of dice jalapenos to it so that it's hotter than poo poo but too many people complain and won't eat it.

If you add diced tomato you end up with a pale rice with diced tomato in it - it's really different when you have the orange rice. My mom adds a little bit of corn but my dads family gives her poo poo for it.

I'm still tempted to just dump a big ol spoon of corn on top of the rice, to this day.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Iron Lung posted:

We were dragged to this place in Brooklyn by drunk friends: http://www.yelp.com/biz/calexico-brooklyn and it was the worst Mexican food I've ever eaten. The salsa tasted like watery tomato sauce with a spritz of chilies. Actually, I'm pretty sure that's all it was. Same friends said "man this place is awesome" and we told them they'd been away from Texas for too long. That's why I've been teaching myself to cook it, when I leave AZ I want to make sure I can always eat it.

Going to make some adobo tomorrow night and braise some chicken thighs in it, should be tasty!

But it has a good rating on Yelp!

I hate guacamole with the consistency of bottled french salad dressing

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

So I purged through a couple episodes of One Plate at a Time.

Every recipe on that show basically goes:

Soak some guajillo chiles. Add garlic and cinnamon and a squirt of lime. Chop up some tomatillos. Blend that poo poo and marinate some <insert meat>. Then grill it, slice it up and add avocados and more lime and eat it in a corn tortilla.

Right?

I'm going to do that when I get home just because I want some loving tacos.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Any suggestions for something to bring to a Cinco de Mayo potluck at work on Monday?

Some girl already signed up for guacamole so my first choice is ruled out.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Welp, never had 'enchiladas' with cream cheeese and refried beans in them until the potluck today at work.

My tomatillo salsa bombed at the salsa contest. Someone said it was hot so it scared people off.

It had two very, very small (smaller than my pinky) serranos in it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Let's talk corn on the cob. My cousin's boyfriend is from San Antonio and he bought a big corn roaster trailer thing he pulls around to festivals and stuff in town. Roasts the corn and puts the toppings on and sells them for like four bucks each.

He brought the rig to a family get-together, so I tried it out, wasn't bad. But he used:

Miracle whip instead of mayo
Kraft powdered cardboard instead of actual parmesean or cojita cheese
Lemon pepper seasoning!?
Chili powder

And they didn't have any limes. Discuss.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

DoctorPresident posted:

The chilli powder and cheap cheese are pretty common in Mexico too. The pepper seasoning and miracle whip sound like a terrible idea, tough.

Also: what kind of corn is he using? the yellow and sweet kind or the white and more starchy one?

yellow sweet corn

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

icehewk posted:

Is he making money?

Didn't bother to ask him. We're in Michigan fwiw

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Benny the Snake posted:

Anybody wanna share chiles rellenos recipes? My family recipe is grilling Anaheim chilis over an open flame, stuffing them with monterey jack cheese, and frying them in egg batter. Sure, you can feel your arteries clogging when you eat them, but we made them only once in a while.

Do you use tomato sauce?

When I make them, I usually add rice, chorizo, or chicken in along with the cheese to make them a little more substantial. They are $2 each at a restaurant here so I like eating about 5 of them and washing them down with Coke. A friend once asked what I kept ordering that had a 'tail' (the stem of the pepper)

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

MothraAttack posted:

So I found an unopened bottle of Don Julio Reposado Produccion Limitada in the family pantry. The bottle looks a little aged, like maybe 5 or 10 years, but I don't know poo poo about tequila. Is there a way to check its age from production numbers on the bottle, and what quality tequila are we talking about here? A midrange that's been stashed for way too long or something good?

Don't drink it. Send it to me, as a Mexican I know the proper handling techniques to dispose of it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I do tomatillo salsa and then just put chunks/crumbles of queso fresco and chopped avocado right in it.

:circlefap:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

The Ferret King posted:

Is it really so hard to buy a container of cumin?

Where are you? I have a giant bottle of powder and a giant bottle of seeds, any decent sized grocery story in the USA should have it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

angor posted:

Does anyone have a really good oxtail recipe for tacos? I just bought a kilo and I don't know where to start!

I just make a thick stew. Braise the oxtails for at least 3 hours. Don't force them off the tail, when they are done the meat will just fall off. Then add a little tomato (paste or diced), chilis, onion, garlic, lime juice, season with comino + salt + pepper, add a tablespoon or two of vinegar. Let that hangout on the stove (or in the oven) for another hour or so and then enjoy tacos.

You could also throw them in a slow cooker with some cut in half onions and a few cloves of garlic if you want just 'meat'.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

angor posted:

That sounds good! What would I be braising the meat in? Just water?
You could use water, but you should use beef broth.

angor posted:

A few years ago I did pulled pork tacos and this is what I did:
Sear pork in dutch oven.
Deglaze with juice from 2 oranges.
Toss pork with salt, pepper, mexican oregano (dried), cayenne, 6 garlic cloves, paprika and ground cumin.
Add pork back into dutch oven along with a few deseeded chilies, one onion (cut in half), 2 halved limes, a quartered orange and enough water to come halfway up the meat.
Bring to a simmer then put in the oven at 300F for 3 hours, stirring every 45min or so.
Remove meat and set aside. Discard onion and orange pieces. Place pot on burner and reduce cooking liquid.
Shred pork.
Toss pork in reduced liquid and spread onto baking sheet. Broil until crispy.

Could I do the same thing with the oxtail?
Not sure how the oranges would work with beef, that sounds like a carnitas recipe.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

EVG posted:

My office is having our annual Cinco de Mayo potluck, and this year I was hoping to find a dish that is both vegan and gluten free.
Why don't you make tostadas?

Bring in a slow-cooker full of re-fried beans and some fried hard flat corn tortillas. Then some toppings. Bring a bowl of cooked chorizo and cheese for the meat-eaters to add to their beans

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Siselmo posted:

refried beans with oil instead of lard to make it more vegan-friendly.

Flavorless, oddly textured beans incoming. I remember the first time my vegan girlfriend bought the can of 'vegetarian' beans and asked why they weren't as good as the ones my dad made.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Beans + rice are pretty much the epitome of lower class Mexican fare.

You could do a layered dip with corn chips.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Wait till this guy goes to a fish market in Chinatown where there's just fish piled up in cardboard boxes and there's cats walking around all over.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Every time I have seen 'arroz con pollo' it's Carribean or Spanish and has yellow rice.

The Tex-Mex one I'm familiar with comes out orange and looks more like this:

I'm not going to give any real specifics on ingredient amounts, apologies.

You want to toast medium grain white rice in a pan with some vegetable oil for a bit in a big pan. This is a big part of the recipe. Then you want to throw in either a half of an onion, or a whole onion cut in half. Put it face down so the onion infuses in the oil a little bit.

You want to season it with just a tiny bit of garlic, comino, black pepper, and mexican oregano. Again, it won't taste right without mexican oregano, it's a big part of the recipe. Don't salt it just yet.

Next you want to add liquid. Chicken broth/stock is the proper way to do it. My white mother would do it with water and my Mexican aunts would make fun of her. 2 cups of liquid for 1 cup of rice. You end up with a little over 2 cups of cooked rice, which is good for 3-4 people.

Let's give it some color. Nobody wants white rice. This is where tomato paste comes in. How much? I don' t know. You want it a pretty solid orange color. Start with half of one of those tiny cans of tomato paste for 2 cups of liquid.

Last, add a sliced up bell pepper (red or green are most common) to the pot.

Cover, and once it starts to boil, turn it down to a simmer, and DON'T loving TOUCH IT for about 20 minutes. If your heat isn't low enough you're going to burn the rice on the bottom of a pan. This isn't a paella you don't want to do that. If you are making a big pot of rice (like 3+ cups) because your familia is coming over to play Uno and eat tacos you want to stir it about 10 minutes in. Otherwise you'll get a clump of rice at the bottom and all the tomato paste will collect at the top on the edges and it will be gross.

My grandma always falls asleep watching TV at this point so she fucks the rice up all the time. She's 80 years old so oh well. Someone just has to keep an eye on her when she makes the rice.

I already know what you're asking. Bob, what about the 'con pollo'? You have to learn to walk before you can run, fucker. Make the rice a couple times so that you know how it's supposed to come out. It's very simple but it's easy to gently caress up.

A couple things you might want to add to the rice:

Corn. Peas. Canned jalepenos. Some families use a poo poo ton of garlic or comino and some weirdos use chili powder. Whatever floats your boat. Some people used canned diced tomato or they dice up the onions and green peppers. Hell you can try a can of the Rotel diced tomatoes with chilis if you want, and like it hot. If you try any of that poo poo with my family you will just get funny looks and nobody will eat your rice, but when I make it for my friends I add other poo poo.

Back to the chicken. The way my dad does it is boils a bunch of chicken wings (I use thighs) in water, then pours all that water out except enough to add to the rice, and leaves the chicken in while the rice cooks. It's that simple.

You should be making homemade flour tortillas before or while the rice cooks. Nothing like coming home from the bar and smashing a bowl of this poo poo. My cousin's mother in law was an alcoholic, she lived with him and his wife. So when we'd leave the bar at 2:00am, we'd call her up and ask her to make some chicken and rice and tortillas, and we'd stop somewhere along the way and get her a couple 40's of Old Milwaukee (the red and gold bottle) for compensation.

Bob Morales fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Apr 24, 2015

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Cinco de mayo potluck next Tuesday.

I get to see what all my white co-workers bring in and call 'enchiladas'

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Already heard one recipe being discussed. Flour tortillas, minute rice, cream cheese, chicken ('you can season it if you want'), cream of chicken soup, Chi-chi's brand salsa

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Pentaro posted:

It begins.

:saddowns:, Sad Enchiladowns.

I have no problem if you make the meat and even the sauce in a crockpot or whatever then fill the tortillas and put cheese and stuff on them after...

But that poo poo people make where the tortillas go in the crockpot too and you're just eating scoops of mush?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Bob's Barbacoa

Okay, it's not real Mexican barbacoa it's more like what you'd find at Chipotle. Either way I'm taking it for the potluck at work tomorrow so people can have something other than hamburger + taco seasoning packet.

Start with a 2lb or bigger beef roast. You also need a can of tomato, some beef broth, some chipotles, and a large yellow onion. Add jalapenos or serranos if you want it hot.

Trim the fat off the roast and render it in a dutch over in some oil for a bit, then take it out. You just want the pan to taste extra beefy. You can suck on a piece of golden fat or throw them all away.

Brown the meat. Season it with comino, chili powder, garlic, oregano, paprika (I can't find mine today), and salt and pepper. Bring it up to a simmer, or if you want just put the lid on and chuck it in the oven for 2 hours. I add about 3-4 chipotles and one big spoon of sauce. You can add more if you want it spicier and smokier. Also put the tomatoes and beef broth in.

Okay, here we are two hours later. Not quite done. Turn the heat down a little bit and remove the lid. Try to reduce some of the liquid out. We're not making sloppy joes here. Taste it. I'll add apple cider vinegar, whatever random hot sauce I have

This is pretty close but not quite where we want it. Run a potato masher through the meat real quick, or pull it apart with a fork if you didn't chop it up like I did. I kind of prefer big thin slices instead of little tiny shreds. I hosed up, oh well.

This is about done. You want to be able to scrap the meat to the sides and not really leave a lot of liquid behind. You don't want it 100% dry, though. The onions and tomato pretty much disappear.

I'll let this cool down and then put it in the fridge, then throw it in the crock pot at work tomorrow. I made this about once a month and it makes sick nachos or tacos.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

That looks pretty excellent. How important is it to brown the meat?

Not that important, I'd wager. I probably half-rear end browned half of it because I was in a hurry.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Do you have a time limit tomorrow? It sounds like a way to end up with beans that have been sitting at a restaurant buffet for a few hours, adding more water and such.

If the beans are soaked they only take about half hour or so to simmer and then mash up, season...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

ogarza posted:

In case anyone is still wondering, the only good store bought tortillas I've found in the northeast are 'El Milagro', they're made in Chicago and you can find them in most korean/latin markets in the DC area. (Global food, coco's mart, lotte, etc).

You will find them in the refrigerated section, and they only last a couple of days, sometimes a few might have a bit of mold when you just buy them =(, just the price you have to pay. Stuff on the shelves like 'la banderita' that lasts weeks taste and smell like spoiled tortillas.

You'll want to try these for sure:

http://www.vargastortillas.com/store/

They're made in my town but I have no affiliation with them - they'll ship so if you can't find good tortillas give them a shot

• Locked thread