Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oakland Martini
Feb 14, 2008
Refugee from the great account hijacking of 2008
My family and I visited Guanajuato for a week to take a Spanish class a few years ago. My dad and I love cooking Mexican food, so one of our teachers' grandmothers offered to give us a lesson on cooking mole Poblano. I thought I would offer the recipe here since this seems like the best thread for it. It is a bit time-consuming but pretty easy overall, and tastes absolutely amazing.

Somebody's abuela posted:

Ingredients:
  • 3 each of the following dried chiles: guajillo, ancho, mulato, pasilla (seeded and destemmed)
  • 1/2 cup raisins
  • 1/2 cup almonds, 1/3 cup pecans, 1/3 cup filberts, 1/4 cup sesame seeds
  • 1/2 medium white onion (roughly chopped), 4-6 cloves garlic
  • 2-3 1-inch pieces of canela (Mexican cinnamon), 10 cloves, 10 allspice, 10 black peppercorns, all ground together in mortar
  • 3/4 to 1 disc Abuelita chocolate, broken into eights
  • 4-5 cups chicken stock (hot, preferably freshly-made)
Instructions:
  • Fry chiles in small batches for about one minute, put in large pot.
  • Fry onion and garlic for one minute, add to pot.
  • Fry nuts for one minute, add to pot.
  • Fry raisins for one minute, add to pot.
  • Fry spices for one minute, add to pot.
  • Dump contents of pot in blender, add chicken stock until 2/3 - 3/4 full and blend, then strain contents of blender back into pot.
  • Put everything that didn't make it through the strainer back into blender with 1-2 cups hot water, blend and strain. Repeat twice more.
  • After the third time blending, add blender contents straight to pot.
  • Simmer, stirring constantly, for 15 minutes.
  • Add chocolate slowly, one piece at a time, and keep stirring. Taste after each piece of chocolate to decide when to stop. This should take another 15 minutes or so.
  • Simmer 15 more minutes, still stirring.
  • Traditionally served over rice and chicken, but you can use it for pretty much anything that sounds good. I've even served it for dessert on top of chocolate cake.

We also had a fantastic garlic soup in a restaurant there, and after some experimentation I think we've got the recipe down:

quote:

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup olive oil
  • 16 cloves garlic, peeled and roughly chopped
  • 5 cups chicken stock
  • 1 can diced, fire-roasted tomatoes
  • 2 eggs, slightly beaten
  • Queso fresco
  • Croutons
Instructions:
  • Cook garlic in heavy pot on medium-low until soft and golden brown. Do not fry, just barely simmer; you don't want to come close to burning it or you will have to start over.
  • Strain oil out of garlic, return garlic to pot, add stock, simmer for 30 minutes partially covered.
  • While simmering, prepare soup bowls with crumbled cheese and croutons.
  • Blend 1 cup soup with tomatoes until smooth, return to pot.
  • Bring to boil, add salt to taste. Turn off heat, add eggs. Serve.

Oakland Martini fucked around with this message at 16:22 on May 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oakland Martini
Feb 14, 2008
On a different note, while I have all the Bayless cook books, I recently got Truly Mexican by Roberto Santibanez, and it is really fantastic. It focuses on almost entirely on sauces, so it has plenty of room to explore regional variations on broad themes (adobos, moles, salsas, etc.) At $25 for the hardcover version, it is a steal. I highly recommend it.

Oakland Martini fucked around with this message at 16:37 on May 25, 2013

Oakland Martini
Feb 14, 2008

Sjurygg posted:

Lard isn't really the killer it's made out to be. I wouldn't eat a block per day but I'll eat food made with it without fear.

One of the Bayless books claims that lard is substantially less unhealthy than butter (posting from my phone, don't have the book on hand).

Plus fresh lard is amazing. My local Mexican butcher sells fresh manteca, and I use that in place of other fats in pretty much every Mexican dish I cook.

Oakland Martini
Feb 14, 2008

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Anyone got any good mole or milanesa recipes? Those are my two favorite dishes and I decided it's time I slowly learn to cook all the Mexican recipes I grew up eating.

I posted a mole poblano recipe upthread that is pretty easy but still very authentic. I also posted a link to a fantastic cookbook that has recipes for just about every style of mole you can think of (the hazelnut no-chocolate mole is awesome).

Mole recipe:

Ingredients:
3 each of the following dried chiles: guajillo, ancho, mulato, pasilla (seeded and destemmed)
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup almonds, 1/3 cup pecans, 1/3 cup filberts, 1/4 cup sesame seeds
1/2 medium white onion (roughly chopped), 4-6 cloves garlic
2-3 1-inch pieces of canela (Mexican cinnamon), 10 cloves, 10 allspice, 10 black peppercorns, all ground together in mortar
3/4 to 1 disc Abuelita chocolate, broken into eights
4-5 cups chicken stock (hot, preferably freshly-made)
Instructions:
Fry chiles in small batches for about one minute, put in large pot.
Fry onion and garlic for one minute, add to pot.
Fry nuts for one minute, add to pot.
Fry raisins for one minute, add to pot.
Fry spices for one minute, add to pot.
Dump contents of pot in blender, add chicken stock until 2/3 - 3/4 full and blend, then strain contents of blender back into pot.
Put everything that didn't make it through the strainer back into blender with 1-2 cups hot water, blend and strain. Repeat twice more.
After the third time blending, add blender contents straight to pot.
Simmer, stirring constantly, for 15 minutes.
Add chocolate slowly, one piece at a time, and keep stirring. Taste after each piece of chocolate to decide when to stop. This should take another 15 minutes or so.
Simmer 15 more minutes, still stirring.
Traditionally served over rice and chicken, but you can use it for pretty much anything that sounds good. I've even served it for dessert on top of chocolate cake.

Oakland Martini
Feb 14, 2008

Makob posted:

I am going to be making tamales for the first time using a recipe passed on from my abuelita. I know they are amazing from every time she has made them so hopefully I don't screw it up too hard. I will be sure to post the results later. Hoping to make 5-6 dozen to share then just live off the rest for a few weeks. I could eat tamales with rice and beans for 3 meals a day with no complaints.

Fresh lard is the crucial ingredient for tamales in my opinion. Maseca masa para tamales seems just as good as any other masa, but lard seems to play a huge role in making amazing tamales. Most Mexican markets with butcher counters will have some.

Oakland Martini
Feb 14, 2008
Tried making vegetarian (technically they are vegan, but I wasn't aiming for that specifically) tamales for the first time. Homemade tamales are hands-down my favorite dish, but my girlfriend is veggie and I've always use fresh lard from my local Mexican butcher up until now. I followed Rick Bayless' recipe from Mexico, One Plate at a Time with Crisco in place of lard. For the filling, I sautéed oyster and shiitake mushrooms with some homemade chipotle-tomatillo salsa, agave syrup, and some beet greens I had on hand. I like banana leaves better than corn husks so I went with that.

Turns out lard isn't so crucial after all. These have as good a texture as I've ever achieved, which makes up for the hint of porkiness the lard usually provides. The texture of the mushrooms is also really nice compared to pork or chicken. Excuse the lovely phonepic, but it's all I have:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oakland Martini
Feb 14, 2008
Fresh epazote is great. I never had trouble finding it when I lived in California or even Minnesota, but here in Toronto it's eluded me thus far.

• Locked thread