Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
ˇYay! Mexican food owns. And because I live 20 minutes away from the border, it's not exactly hard to get whatever ingredients I need, for cheap.

Let's start off with flour tortillas, which go with everything. I'm vegan, so the fat I use is shortening (or sometimes canola oil) but feel free to go with lard or a 50/50 mix of lard + shortening, or add some butter, or whatever:

Flour Tortillas
3/4 lbs flour
5 tbsp fat
3/4 tsp salt
~3/4 cup warm water
(Optional: scant 1/2 tsp baking powder)

Mix the flour and fat until the fat's all mixed in. The mixture should be sort of crumbly.

Add the salt and some of the water in and combine. You want enough water to make everything damp but not very wet or anything. Knead until smooth - you don't need to knead as much as bread, but it should be sort of stretchy (Rick Bayless says it should be 'firm' which might be more helpful but whatever). Robert Rodriguez has an example if you need to see it in action.

Split into 12 balls and let rest for 15-30 minutes or more if you have the time. Cover them with something so they don't dry out. Plastic wrap or a damp cloth works.

On a floured surface roll them out to a ~7 inch circle: flatten the dough a bit, roll it out, turn it 1/3rd of a turn, roll again, keep on going, etc. Put onto a heated cast iron pan (or something else heavy) on medium to medium high heat. Bubbles should form. Give it 30-45 seconds (you want it to be browning) then flip it over and give it another 30-45 seconds (it will probably puff up).

Beats the poo poo out of the cardboard tortillas they sell at the grocery store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
You can roll corn tortillas if you want. You just can't press flour tortillas. The second post in this thread, right after the OP, has helpful advice.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Chumpion posted:

Are there any mexican cookbooks or reading or blogs that you goons would find indispensable?

I am a good little Mexican cook in that I can find recipes and make them nice but with being in the uk it's borderline impossible for me to have some mexican friends or recommendations or even the ability to know the difference between tex-mex and real mexican poo poo without a long intense google session. If I wanted to perfect some Pakistani or Indian cooking I'd have about five close friends to speak to, we're not too fresh on the South Americans here in the cold North of England.
Authentic Mexican by Rick Bayless is a pretty good book.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Every time I make corn tortillas I can't make it so that they start bubbling and puffing up when I put it on the stove. Am I just not using enough water? I don't really measure it but maybe I should a few times. I just add enough water to get a consistency where I can make balls with it and then smash it down.
Flour tortillas puff and bubble. Corn tortillas don't, really.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Edminster posted:

What? No, this is wrong. Corn tortillas will puff up into a nice ball when properly made.

Well gently caress. Maybe I should buy a tortilla press or something. Or maybe now that I know I'm doing it wrong, I'll be able to fix it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Flautas.

• Locked thread