Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

My grandmother use to use ash in her tamales (ash tamal). I poo poo you not, these were the best tamales I have ever had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

These are the greatest corn tortillas you will ever buy. They don't rip up when you put them in grease. They're delicious for tacos, tostadas, or enchilidas.

Where I live there are at least 15 tortillerias in my city alone. I think the key is to go early and buy fresh and dont refrigerate them (this is key) like a lot of gringos do. They should almost have the consistency of dough. Good quality maize tortillas are amazing.

YEAH DOG posted:

If anyone has a recipe for loose Mexican chorizo, especially one that isn't super oily, that would be great! It seems like they are always greasy when I get them from the grocers.

Like you use in Chorizo con Huevo?

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Plan Z posted:

One of the keys for corn tortilla flour is to let it rest, covered for at least 20-30 minutes after mixing it very well. Trying to stuff it into a shell and cooking it right away before the maseca can properly absorb the moisture will result in some crappo tacos shells. For me, it's easy to just do maseca, and about 3/4 of the recommended water, waiting for a while, then adding water until achieving a somewhat dry mixture that softens when you knead it. If you plan on making tortillas a lot, buying one of those great Mexican tortilla-makers (they resemble those old laundry mangles) cuts so much fuss and mess out of the process. They're affordable if you can find them in person, but ordering them can be expensive if you don't know where to look.

I mix a little of that water with lime juice.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

bolo yeung posted:

I've had real legit Mexican in NYC. Chicago is busting with Mexicans. I've still never been to Chicago, but I would trust Mexican food more there than here in Texas.

I think one of the problems is some of the ingredients are a little harder to come by if you're in say, the northeast. I can get much better quality avocados and the like in California and the southwest in general. Its not that you cant get it, its just better quality and in more abundance in the southwest.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

DoctorPresident posted:

Last night my girlfriend and I made tamales oaxaqueños:

They were pretty boss.

Also, yesterday was México's day of independence so we get to pretend that things aren't as lovely as they are and eat lots of fatty food :haw:

And a thread favorite, pozole:

Then we drank mezcal and snacked on chapulines:

Badass. Those tamales look awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Tortilla Maker posted:

Had leftover pozole for dinner:

That looks drat good.

I always use pork in my pozole (just habit I guess). I'm going to have to try chicken here sometime.

• Locked thread