Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Yes, at long last.

Last month I finally found a place that sold queso oxatan and I went into a quesadilla frenzy. I made some pickled jalapeņos and just use them, the cheese, and a super light smear of this amazing dark red salsa the same store sells.

My "record" is 12 in one day but I was pretty drunk during most of it. The weak point is the store bought corn tortillas but as soon as this month is up I am going to try and make my own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Hah, a place by my old apartment sold that under the name "crazy corn". I never suspected it was a real dish.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

TMMadman posted:

Does Mexican street food count for this thread? Because I absolutely love elotes.

Boiled fresh corn served with butter, mayo, cayenne pepper/chili powder, cheese (cojita I believe) and I prefer to add a little lime. It's absolutely delicious and I love living in Chicago cause the food carts are all over the place. However, since I am always driving when I get it, I just get it served in a cup:

So I finally made this!

Sadly no picture before it was stirred up, with the cheese and chili powder on top it was kinda pretty. I used smoked corn and it was pretty great.

Also refried beans without lard/chicken stock are pretty sad things.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Hello mexican thread!

Fall and winter turn my thoughts to this stuff as I have a wood stove and it is pretty much the tits for roasting chiles, so much so that I almost never want to mess with mexican cooking in the summer.

My current obsession is making corn tortillas. I have had some success in getting them mixed and shaped but cooking them one at a time in a skillet is annoying. The answer is to get a decently sized comel. But that will not fit on my stove so I need to build something outside to heat it with.

I spent today messing around with building a rocket stove out of bricks and cinder blocks but I can't quite get it to work right. If anyone has made one before or knows if there is a thread about them somewhere I would love some info.

As for the comel, I would like one like 18"x18" or 24"x24". My plan was to buy a chunk of 3/16 or 1/4 plate steel and use that but I have no idea if it will work. I have never seen a cast iron one that large before and assume one would be pretty expensive. Anyone ever try something like this?

Test stove:

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Totally Reasonable posted:

I've made a couple of rocket stoves, Bunnielab.

Try putting it together such that you're only using 1/2 of the cinder blocks as the chimney, and make the firebox about 4x4x10". Then cut up some soda cans to make a little shelf that allows airflow under the fuel and into the bottom of the firebox.

That should get things working nicely.

How do you keep it from choking on it's own ash? I am looking to make something larger to fit a big rear end pan, the idea to use a rocket type stove is to give fast heat up time and low wood use. I could make a three sided block firepit and just use that but the delightful rouring sound the rocket gives is really appealing as well.

I do have an old wood stove my dad gave me, I might try to rig that up once I get it here.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
I cannot figure out what the hell is wrong with my tortillas. My issues are thus:

1)I cant get them pressed thin enough without the edges tearing. I have one of those cheap aluminium presses and it never gets them thinner then like 3/16". I can get them thinner with a wine bottle and pieces of wax paper but then I get the tearing. I have tried to add more water but then I get the issue of sticking to the paper.

2)They seem to cook too hard to fold. I am sure this is related to my thickness issue but even the few thin ones are so stiff when they are done and blistered that they crack.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

GrAviTy84 posted:

How long are you waiting after hydrating the Masa before making the tortillas? You need to let the dough hydrate so that it is pliable.

This might be it, I have just been making them right away, How long should I wait?

Also, I just broke my press trying to "enhance" it. Upside, I have a new pellet rifle target, but I would like to replace it. Anyone have one that they love?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Edminster posted:

Thanks! Now you, too can understand why I cringe my entire head deep into my torso when I see just what I looked like while pressing tortillas. It's in processing hell at the moment but when it's done the tortillas bit is at the start for the initial mixing and it picks up again at ~42.50 for the pressing and cooking. I've never been able to get my tortillas as thin as hers though but I suspect it's because I haven't a lifetime of practise in my hands.

http://youtu.be/yZ98GyWu21U

This is great, even if I don't understand a word of it. Can you tell me what proportions she is using?

Also really dig the huge rear end pencil sharpener on the counter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Edminster posted:

My spanish isn't too great but it's I think she used 4 1/4 cups water to "I forgot to measure" masa + flour. I, on the other hand, use for every cup of masa a tablespoon of flour and "enh, about this much" water. Hope this helps! :v:

Hah, well, I never put any flour, so maybe I will start there. My tortillas always come out too think, whenever I try to get them super thin they tare like crazy.

• Locked thread