Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

flatluigi posted:

Good job dude you took it even further than everyone else! :waycool:

I'm Australian. Calling people cunts is a national pasttime for us, regardless of gender.

Ya oval office. :v:

Mister Roboto posted:

What's a little creepy is that about 80% of the thread have revealed they played the game, so this means they're getting RE-angry again at a fictional character when watching someone else play. The first time was not enough, gotta tell all 30 people here how much I hate her this time around!

That's...something. I'm not sure what.

Thats not creepy - its either pathetic or just plain human nature depending on the viritol involved. Its only natural to want to share your experiences with others, after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Some people take it too far, but fiction that doesn't make you care about the characters in it (whether you like them or hate them) - if the characters and their struggles make you feel nothing, that's fiction that probably isn't doing its job very well.

EdgeryWorthy
Oct 5, 2012

So what's your type? You're a herbivore guy, so do you prefer a carnivore girl?
I just think it's funny that we all expect everyone to be as caring and nice as Luna and harshly judge someone like Alice, when almost anyone in this thread would be freaked out and be looking out for themselves if put into this situation like this in real life.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

It's time to re-do the rounds for the first time, as opposed to last time when we re-did the rounds for the third time.

I mean...

Last time we re-did the rounds, we were doing those rounds for the first time--

--I mean, this is the first time we're seeing the aftermath of the same AB Game with different results.

You know what I mean.

VLR OST: [Anxiousness]

Sigma, K and Quark's conversation ameowt Schrödinger's Cat is unchanged, as is the followup about the Radical-6 article.

999 OST: [Riddle and Puzzle]

Listen in: [English/Japanese]

We should just hurry up and try to find out how to get out of here.

Quark has a point.
If we want to know what's going on outside, the fastest way to find out is by going outside.

Yeah, you're right.

Good! Mr. K and I will keep searching the cabins, then.
What are you going to do?

I... guess I'll go somewhere else.

Okay.

Then we will see you later.

Later.

[Music fades out]

This is, of course, the variation of this conversation that isn't immediately interrupted by someone discovering the bomb.

Here, we get some new stuff.

999 OST: [Imaginary]

Ugh. What're are you doing here?

Still mad, huh?

Obviously!

Ah, come on now, you don't have to get your panties in a bunch.

That's easy for you to say, Dio! You're sitting pretty at 5 BP!
Tenmyouji and I only have 1! You do understand what that means, don't you?!

That's no reason to take your anger out on people.
You won't get your BP back by being a jerk to him.

What's this? You're going to take his side?
I thought you of all people would agree with me.

I do.

Why would you care? You've got what, maybe five years left? Maybe less?
I'm not like you! I'm still young! I want to live a long life!
There's so many things I still want to do!

Like what?

Well, let's see...
I want to wear lots of gorgeous clothes...
I want to eat tons of delicious food, and fall in love...

What an idiot.

Excuse me?!

I was going to take your side, but after that load of horseshit you're on your own.

And from here it's as before; Alice tells us about her father, and the group discusses just how goddamn mysterious they all are. Sigma resolves to muse on this elsewhere.

[Music fades out]

This room is entirely unchanged - Sigma, Phi, Luna and Clover discuss the headaches they've all been having and how weird they all feel. Until...

What is it?

I found something horrible in room 2 in the crew quarters!

Something...?

...Horrible?

VLR OST: [Strain]

Never mind! You'll understand when you see it!

This scene proceeds identically to before except with some characters swapped around; It's K who leads us to the bomb instead of Clover, Quark who fetches the others instead of Luna, and Tenmyouji who screams "Where's the bomb?!" instead of Dio. Everyone stares at the bomb for a while, Alice talks about dead-man switches, then...

VLR OST: [Eeriness]

It was me.
I found it while Quark and I were investigating this area.
We split up to collect the rest of you.

How did you know it was a bomb?

When?

I'm not sure.

Because of the amnesia?

Yes.

Are you kidding me? We don't even know if it's a real bomb.
Are you gonna tell me you believe that guy who can't remember his own loving name knows a bomb when he sees it--

That's a bomb. I'm sure of it.

How do you know?

I just do, okay?

And from here Alice continues not telling us that she's a secret agent, Quark gets the greatest allegorical physics lesson ever conceived, and everyone suddenly realizes they're out of time.

VLR OST: [Strain]

Phi tells us our options, which are, as a reminder:

Well, you decided the first time, right?

Y-Yeah...

Then can I decide this time?

Why you?

I only have 1 BP left...
Doesn't it seem like the fair thing is to let the person who's at the greatest disadvantage choose? Wouldn't you agree?

I mean, you've only got 1 BP, right?

You've got a point.
But how about we listen to what Alice wants first?
So, tell us. Which door and which people do you want?

The green door.
And I want to go with K and Quark.

That means Tenmyouji and Dio will go with Clover through the blue door...

Is that all right with you, Tenmyouji?

Wh-Why?
If we go through there together, that means you'll be playing against me in the next AB Game. Are you really, really sure?

Yeah, I'm sure. Matter of fact, that's why I want to go with you.
You said you didn't trust me, right?
Well, I'd like to change your mind.
I figure this'll give me the chance.

U-Um...

I've been wanting to pair up with Alice, too.
There's something I want to talk to you about.

Oh? And that is...?

We'll get to that later.

Y-Yes. ...I guess.

What about the rest of you? Is that okay too?

Despite the presentation, this really isn't any different from any other time we've done this. If we refuse...

Why not?

Because.

Rrgghh...

Oh no... this is bad...
Which door do you want then? The only other choices are A and C...

I thought about it again.

If I want with A, then Luna and I would end up paired with Clover, and we'd go through the green door.

On the other hand, if I chose C, we'd be going through the blue door with Alice.

So which one did I want?

So let's just vote on this normally.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Fedule posted:

Why would you care? You've got what, maybe five years left? Maybe less?
I'm not like you! I'm still young! I want to live a long life!
There's so many things I still want to do!

Like what?

Well, let's see...
I want to wear lots of gorgeous clothes...
I want to eat tons of delicious food, and fall in love...

What an idiot.

Excuse me?!

I was going to take your side, but after that load of horseshit you're on your own.
I reckon this segment sums up an awful lot of peoples feelings on Alice.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Tenmyouji wasn't this buddy-buddy with Clover and Alice in previous routes was he? :psyduck:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

Tenmyouji wasn't this buddy-buddy with Clover and Alice in previous routes was he? :psyduck:

He's definitely got something on with Clover - I mean, he somehow got Clover to Ally with him on the Magenta path.

As for what he has with Alice, who knows, but maybe it has something to do with Ice-9.

Tenmyouji is reeking of something from 999 though, considering Clover and Alice.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Hmmm... I wonder what would happen if we go through with Alice again, and this time, we ally on purpose, knowing she will betray. I doubt it'll happen, but I think it would be neat if Sigma had the option to explicitly tell Alice to hit "Betray", so he could make it up to her by deliberately allying. That would be a way to restore trust. But that's not going to happen, I'm sure.

I'm not sure that we can trust Phi to Ally with us, given that we hit Betray (oh, and er, the bombs). There's only one way to find out, I suppose. Or maybe it's another "you automatically pick wrong no matter what" thing.

I was wrong about Radical-6 not existing, but Alice's revelations about the Myrmidons makes me think that the newspaper mentioning the outbreak is indeed fake. This facility might be a Myrmidon base, and the participants are test subjects for the effectiveness of the Radical-6 virus they engineered.

No wait, that's not twisty enough for this series. The leader of the Myrmidons is Abraham Lincoln, who was secretly a time-traveler from the year 3216. "Left" is his half-brother, John Wilkes Booth (also a time-traveler).

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Feb 12, 2014

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Fedule posted:

Well, you decided the first time, right?

Y-Yeah...

Then can I decide this time?

Why you?

I only have 1 BP left...
Doesn't it seem like the fair thing is to let the person who's at the greatest disadvantage choose? Wouldn't you agree?

I... I don't think this even merits a comment. I'll just vote to pair her up with Dio and be done with this.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
I want more quality Phi time. Thematically we should probably stick with Alice all the way while we're on an Alice kick, but I miss Phi.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Aumanor posted:

I... I don't think this even merits a comment. I'll just vote to pair her up with Dio and be done with this.

She does have a point. Why should Sigma be the one to decide the pairings and thus, everyone's opponents? After all, he hit Betray like a jerk. :colbert:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Aumanor posted:

Pairing Alice up with Dio is actually the best solution. Now all those who dislike Alice can watch her get Betrayed by Dio... again.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
I'm really liking Ten this time through. :) We should hang out with him next time we get the chance, he obviously knows something.

So am I understanding this right? If we went through the blue door with Alice, we'd have the chance to betray her again? I'm surprised more people aren't voting for that...I'm over the whole Schroedinger's Betrayal thing since the game at least acknowledged it, but other than the chance to betray Luna (which obviously isn't going to happen) we've never really taken an opportunity to play Sigma at Dio levels of dickery yet and just spam the betray button the whole way through...would be interesting to see Luna's reaction too.

Alternately we could do what Stabbey suggested and ally with Alice knowing she'll betray us...surely the game won't find some way to throw that back in our face, and it might finally make her finally trust us.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I'm curious to see what happens if we try and kill anyone, but I'm too dumb to figure out what choice would most likely lead to Alice losing her point - if any.

EdgeryWorthy posted:

I just think it's funny that we all expect everyone to be as caring and nice as Luna and harshly judge someone like Alice, when almost anyone in this thread would be freaked out and be looking out for themselves if put into this situation like this in real life.
There's a pretty thick line between "looking out for yourself" and "remorseless murder".

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Zoe posted:

other than the chance to betray Luna (which obviously isn't going to happen)

Well it's not happening right now, since betraying Alice won the (previous) vote. But wasn't betraying Luna the #2 choice? The goon hivemind has a strong urge to rip off that band-aid and get it over with, by the looks of things.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

VagueRant posted:

I'm curious to see what happens if we try and kill anyone, but I'm too dumb to figure out what choice would most likely lead to Alice losing her point - if any.

No chance of her voting ally unless she's unconscious or something and...well, you saw how well that worked out.

I think Sigma is the only sucker who ever lets himself get murdered that way.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Vil posted:

Well it's not happening right now, since betraying Alice won the (previous) vote. But wasn't betraying Luna the #2 choice? The goon hivemind has a strong urge to rip off that band-aid and get it over with, by the looks of things.

Right now I'm clinging to hope that before we hit the point where betraying Luna is the only way to progrss we'll have found something about her that will make it feel less like kicking a puppy

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Zoe posted:

So am I understanding this right? If we went through the blue door with Alice, we'd have the chance to betray her again? I'm surprised more people aren't voting for that...

If we picked the blue door, Alice would probably just veto it. There's no reason for the others to take our preference over hers.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

GilliamYaeger posted:

I reckon this segment sums up an awful lot of peoples feelings on Alice.

I had honestly forgotten about that "You have maybe five years or less" line. Harsh.

Color Printer posted:

She does have a point. Why should Sigma be the one to decide the pairings and thus, everyone's opponents? After all, he hit Betray like a jerk. :colbert:

At the risk of re-igniting more Alice hate, I'd like to redirect attention back to this conversation after Alice chose Betray against Sigma.

Fedule posted:

We need a system here, or we'll never have time to argue it out.
Why don't we let the people who are at the most disadvantage right now decide?

The most what?

The people who only have 1 BP.

Oh, so that would be me, you, and Tenmyouji.

Well then what would you suggest?!

We'll be fair and take a vote.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

At the risk of re-igniting more Alice hate
I already stopped caring beyond "can we kill her?".

VVV: I meant it more in the "irredeemable character" sense.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Feb 12, 2014

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Pierzak posted:

Nah, she's already the Clover of this game, except with hypocrisy instead of an axe.

But Clover wasn't a jerk in 999 outside of that one ending.

And that was more brutal insanity than jerkishness. :smith:

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

I shall admit my wickedness.

ApplesandOranges posted:

As for what he has with Alice, who knows, but maybe it has something to do with Ice-9.
He probably just wants to ask her whether or not she's All-Ice, like he did in the previous route.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

I want to hang out with Alice if we can. Maybe the game will let us in on why she voted ally this time.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
I don't want to hang out with Alice any more for now because of all this negativity about her. If we're not with her for an update, maybe things will simmer down. Besides, a room puzzle with Phi and Luna sounds fun.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

Spatula City posted:

I don't want to hang out with Alice any more for now because of all this negativity about her. If we're not with her for an update, maybe things will simmer down. Besides, a room puzzle with Phi and Luna sounds fun.

Seriously, guys. All this ALICE :argh: stuff is starting to wear thin. Let's spend some more time with Phi, she's pretty cool.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Ten is my fave character, I forgot about this interaction. He's a calm, collected, pretty nice old man :)

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Austrian mook posted:

Ten is my fave character, I forgot about this interaction. He's a calm, collected, pretty nice old man :)

Yeah, I like Tenmyouji a lot too. I'd like to try and spend more time back on his route again first, before we get around to betraying Luna. Although I think betraying him makes me feel equally bad.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Jagged Jim posted:

Seriously, guys. All this ALICE :argh: stuff is starting to wear thin. Let's spend some more time with Phi, she's pretty cool.

All the ALICE :argh: stuff would probably stop if she just stopped doing and saying terrible things. The whole backstory about her father actually made her seem momentarily sympathetic, we need more scenes like that and less with her being a hypocrite and a jerk to old people, and we might get them if we ally with her on the next door.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug
gently caress Alice, gently caress Quark, gently caress Phi, gently caress this whole cast.

Let's Play Spelunky instead.

Time to vote!

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Red door with the Cobra.

Wait, that's the wrong type of vote, poo poo!

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Betray.

I have no idea who you're betraying, but just do it on general principle.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

slowbeef posted:

gently caress Alice, gently caress Quark, gently caress Phi, gently caress this whole cast.

I only like Spelunky when Diabetus is playing it. :colbert:

Seriously, we need more Luna and Phi time. And never not betray.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
I prefer Cave Story.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

I voted for going with Alice again, because I usually like to try and complete as much of a given dialog tree/plot thread as possible when given the option in games.

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

...some kind of monster, I think.

slowbeef posted:

Time to vote!

Triple Betray: Sacrifice the damsel, rob the vault, then bomb Kali's altar. Repeat until super high score, and ghost olmec's lair as the finale.

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

We could go Green with the worst secret agent ever who has, in fact, killed a player character once (and, well, pretty much everyone else).
We could get the Blues real bad with the other worst secret agent ever who has, in fact, killed this player character once.
We could see Red and face off with the woman who can jump ten feet in the air but still felt like treading all over the player character to get where she wanted to be.

Can't we just cut our arm off and wash our one remaining hand of this crap?

maswastaken fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Feb 13, 2014

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

EDIT: I switched colors up, I am dumb.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

slowbeef posted:

Time to vote!

Secret 3rd option: Sacrifice shopkeep in the vault.

D3m3
Feb 28, 2013

Why do birds suddenly appear every time you are near?

Austrian mook posted:

...I don't agree with anything in this statement except that Ten's also my favorite. Ten's a pretty intense guy, when you think about things like he said while searching for Quark in our first route, for example. I like that about him: he gives a poo poo. I find that added a lot of emotional weight to things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

slowbeef posted:

The damsel is actually Zero Zero, but if you don't ally this whole timeline will cease to exist and you'll hit a bad end. As the snake would tell you if you actually listened to it instead of getting railroaded :smug:

• Locked thread