Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
One of my pillows actually is missing. :tinfoil:

Anyway, I'll probably go share these in the VLR thread so that everyone can tell me that I'm gay or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I'm surprised people are voting magenta/betray/red/ally over yellow/betray; it's almost assuredly a Bad End since we've finally completed a path, and there are no feel good feelings for doing it like Betraying Dio did.

Rith
Oct 10, 2012

YOU'VE GOT THAT WRONG!

ApplesandOranges posted:

I'm surprised people are voting magenta/betray/red/ally over yellow/betray; it's almost assuredly a Bad End since we've finally completed a path, and there are no feel good feelings for doing it like Betraying Dio did.

We've got this string of numbers that can potentially put us through a Plot Lock, but we can't actually vote to go for the Plot Lock until the next poll, assuming that the thread's identified the lock correctly. Going for a Bad End makes sense; it means we'll be able to pursue the lock almost immediately afterwards.

That's the sensible argument I'm using to try to persuade other people into voting magenta/betray/red/ally. To be honest, I just want to see how much Sigma kicks himself in the head for allying.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

I suspect people voting for things where it's unlikely to lead to anything interesting are like me and wanting to 'clean up' the list by getting the non-options and likely game overs out of the way.

xeose4
Sep 22, 2014

Blasmeister posted:

I suspect people voting for things where it's unlikely to lead to anything interesting are like me and wanting to 'clean up' the list by getting the non-options and likely game overs out of the way.

Yup, this is me. Let's just get the dangling threads over with.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Blasmeister posted:

Pffft, like I had *any* idea what any of the choices actually implied.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

By a quite narrow margin of two votes, we have elected to do-over the decision that got us stuck in a desert with Dio and Phi. Virtue is its own last reward!

Hey, you never know. It's still trust - who knows if we'll get quantum-betrayed again?

This little bit proceeds identically to before, until...

VLR OST: [Strain]

Listen in: [English/Japanese]

So it has come to this, then...

What's going on?! He hasn't even seen the results yet!

It took only seconds for Tenmyouji and K to explain the math to her.

Please check your bracelet to see your updated Bracelet Points.

The announcer's voice hadn't even faded when Dio reached the door. With a grunt, he swung the lever down.

There's no point in trying to stop him now.
The door has already opened.

But...!

Dio leapt through the door without so much as a backward glance.
Phi paused in front of it, then turned to look at me.

I...I chose "ally".
I made a promise. Clover trusted me.

Sigma...

I see. Makes sense.
I guess that's how this ends, then.
You had to make a choice that was right for you.
And now I have to make the choice that's right for me.

Phi turned, her eyes sad, and followed Dio through the door.

[Music fades out]

The number nine door has closed.
This ends the Nonary Game.
Thank you for your participation.
As the game is over, all doors other than the number nine door have been unlocked.
Escape is not possible.
Please enjoy your stay.

VLR OST: [Demise]

We can only hold out hope that help will arrive.

For... for choosing "ally".

Yeah...
Well, a promise is a promise, right?

Maybe one of the people who just escaped...

Or maybe one of us...

Well... There's one other person...

Oh yeah...

Suddenly full of energy, Tenmyouji leapt up and took off for one of the warehouse's exits.

That left only myself, Clover and K.
We stared at the number nine door in silence.
It would never open again.
What else could we do but stare?

Virtue doesn't feel like much.

Yeah, now that we've seen a "real" ending some of these Game Overs seem a little anaemic by comparison. Don't worry, though. There's still some good stuff in some of them.

This is starting to become a nice little ritual, isn't it?

And on top of that, we've now covered half of what I'm going to term the "major" plot branches! Don't overthink this terminology too much, it's just a reference to how the flowchart looks.

Speaking of plot branches, we've got a new one to play with! Several people noted in the thread that we have indeed just come across a conspicuously long string of arbitrary numbers and that this may be worth looking in to.

So where next?

cd ~/magenta/ally/red
After successfully allying with Luna, go through the Red door with Alice and Clover

cd ~/magenta/ally/blue
After successfully allying with Luna, go through the Blue door with Alice and K

cd ~/yellow/ally/green
After being betrayed by Tenmyouji, go through the Green door with Clover and Quark

cd ~/yellow/ally/blue
After being betrayed by Tenmyouji, go through the Blue door with Clover and Tenmyouji

cd ~/yellow/betray
Betray Tenmyouji after escaping the Infirmary

cd ~/cyan/ally/blue/betray && chmod u+rxw *
Lock No. 05: What is the long string of numbers?

cd ~/cyan/betray/blue
After successfully betraying Alice, reject Alice's suggestion and insist on taking the Blue door with Luna and Alice

cd ~/cyan/betray/green
After successfully betraying Alice, reject Alice's suggestion and insist on taking the Green door with Luna and Clover

Fedule fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Oct 17, 2014

xeose4
Sep 22, 2014
Welp, that's one loose end taken care of.

I kinda wish it had been less anticlimactic. There's definitely something about Quark, how the game doggedly refuses to reveal what happens to him after he disappears.

It's also interesting to note that, unlike Alice back in her path, Clover did not suffer from Schrodinger's Vote in this branching path.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
I forgot if you've already done the chmod thing before, so I was half hoping for sudo cd ~/cyan/ally/blue/betray. Good thing chmod is cooler.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
I like how you're pretending there could be anything but one outcome here.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
I'm pretty sure we can break that Plot Lock regarding the identity of the bomber, as well.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
This vote isn't close.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
I wanna do the long string of number plot lock thanks.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Cyouni posted:

I'm pretty sure we can break that Plot Lock regarding the identity of the bomber, as well.

No, we can't. As obvious as it seems we only know for a fact that he knows the password to the 0 bomb.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
So if Sigma's not there to knock Dio down does it means Phi loses the fight and doesn't get the password? She dies (or lives on scraping out an existence in a post-apocalyptic desert) knowing that thanks to Sigma everything that's happened in this timeline is now pointless? Huh, nice how this 'meh' sort of ending becomes exponentially more hosed up in context.

Also are the bombs still going to go off and kill everyone in the facility? I kind of forgot what the deal was with those, it's been awhile.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Zoe posted:

Also are the bombs still going to go off and kill everyone in the facility? I kind of forgot what the deal was with those, it's been awhile.

Well, it'd be kind of pointless to set up bombs and then not use them. It wouldn't be unreasonable to assume they're on a timer.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

xeose4 posted:

It's also interesting to note that, unlike Alice back in her path, Clover did not suffer from Schrodinger's Vote in this branching path.

That's actually kinda interesting, I mean a vote hasn't changed every time we've split paths but still. Alice and Phi are the only characters who've done that though, right? For Phi it made sense since she can dimension-hop, so i'm wondering if maybe Alice can too and like Sigma she just can't remember doing it.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Zoe posted:

So if Sigma's not there to knock Dio down does it means Phi loses the fight and doesn't get the password? She dies (or lives on scraping out an existence in a post-apocalyptic desert) knowing that thanks to Sigma everything that's happened in this timeline is now pointless? Huh, nice how this 'meh' sort of ending becomes exponentially more hosed up in context.

She jumped into the timeline where the three of them got out - she might not have jumped to the timeline where only two of them got out.

In this timeline, the bombs were never seen, so for all we know, they could be set up somewhere.

Naerylan
Feb 17, 2011

Fedule posted:

cd ~/cyan/betray/blue
After successfully betraying Alice, reject Alice's suggestion and insist on taking the Blue door with Luna and Alice

How would that even work exactly? Betray Alice and also force her to explore a room with you? I doubt it would be that simple.
Also meta-game speaking there are only two branches at the "second Chromatic Door" line on the story map for cyan/betray. In fact looking at the map it seems the second door's choice is always either railroaded into one color or offered an option of either of the other two, with no overlaps. I'd be interested to see if we could pick this option soon and determine if it does derail into the other choice thus removing two branches from the voting pool at once.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Not only am I still not dead, now I have a backlog again! We'll get through it kinda quick because there are some meaty updates incoming but now I've bought myself some time!

God I miss unemployment academia.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

An overwhelming majority of 63% of 292 respondents have connected the dots between Dio's long string of numbers and Alice's pressing need for a long string of numbers and want to see where that goes.

The game actually starts you from right after Alice's huge flashback, but I have mercifully elected to skip that. When we left off, Alice was commenting that the Myrmidons are fond of using long strings of numbers as decryption keys.

("He Was Convicted of a String of Numbers")

I was almost as surprised as she was.
The numbers had just kind of...appeared in my mind, and I was saying them before I knew what I was doing. Alice looked at me incredulously, and I stared back.

VLR OST: [Clarification]

Where did... Wait...
Can you say that again?

Uh... 78153 61098 83809 42419 90551.

...What?

That number you just told me...
Prime factor decomposition on that number gets you 198449351 to the third power.

You're talking about reducing an integer to a series of prime numbers that you multiply together to get it, right?
Like, if you have 30, then you'd get 2 x 3 x 5, right?

Exactly. You probably learned that in junior high, right?

So you're saying that 198449351 is a prime...
And if you multiply it by itself three times, you'd get 7815361098838094241990551?

Yes.

Don't tell me you just did all of that in your head...

What?! No! No way! That's impossible!

I told you. I'm better at math than most people.

That's not "better at math"!

Well, look at you—you just recited a huge string of numbers.
That seems pretty astounding too.

I...

I didn't know what to say. What would I tell her? That it just came to me?

Can't tell me, huh? Fine.

I'm pretty sure that's the key to the code, though.
I know the Myrmidons use prime factors for their keys...
And there aren't a lot of twenty-five-digit numbers that turn out to be the third power of a prime number...

I think there's a very good chance that number you memorized was specifically created by someone.

U-Uh... Could you explain that with...small words?

Well, look at the prime factors of your number:
198449351 to the third power. I think that's our hint for cracking the code.

...?

You still don't get it?
Try to remember the code we saw in the infirmary.
What did it say on the monitor?

Um...I think the first row was...

And the second row?

"BYOLWXYPXSVZEQGTKRTLED"......I think.
Then they just repeat.

We could really use someone like you back at the—um...

Well? Keep going. How do we decode that?

You use 198449351 to point you to the right letters.

How do we do that?

The next number is 9, so go nine letters over from the first one. Then eight from that one...
Just keep going until you get something.
Make sense?

I ran over what she'd said in my head.
The prime number Alice had given me was 198449351. So what would we get if we picked out letters like she'd explained?

The first letter would be "C," from the top left.
Then you'd move nine to the right, which would give you "O."
Then eight more to the right...

Eventually we'd get a word.
And that word was...

Yes, we do actually have to figure it out ourselves.

Yes, the Vita version is uniquely hamstrung by the lack of a second screen, and it was apparently beyond the programmers to allow you to switch between this screen and the answer input screen at will.

Better safe than sorry, I guess.

I mean, could they not have just given you the coded message and key as archive items? There's an archive access button right there for chrissakes! And the memo-pad. There's no shortage of ways to remember stuff.

Speaking of remembering stuff...

...I forgot the code.

[Music fades out]

VLR OST: [Desperation]

Hey! Get off my back! If I don't know, I don't know!

What?
Ugh. Just forget it. I'll figure it out on my own.

She stalked off.

Wait!

I went to follow her, but—

Stay where you are! I don't have any use for another braindead man!

Her voice was unexpectedly furious, and it stopped me cold. She fixed me with an icy glare, then turned and stalked off. I stayed frozen where I was and watched her go.

Welp. Clearly Alice was too angry to be able to decode the message herself given the key, even though she can perform prime factor decomposition of a 25-digit number in her head in seconds. Also everyone died for some reason.

By the way, prime factor decomposition takes a computer super-polynomial time in the number of digits involved [citation needed]. What I'm saying here is that Alice is
unreasonably good at numbers.

I mean, like, of all the stuff in this game that is straight-up fantastical,
this thing is what actually bugs me. A computer could do that sum in a fraction of a second - a 9-digit prime-factor is tiny in cryptographic terms - but Alice is still doing the equivalent of like 5 million calculations per second in her head here. I'd love to get some input from someone who actually has some degree of understanding of the time complexity of factorization algorithms on this, though. Y'know, to help put this lunacy in perspective.

Anyway... you guys can crack this code, right?

Fedule fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Nov 12, 2014

klaphark
Mar 10, 2013
:laffo: that's a great ending.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I think cracking the code got me C O M P L E T E D.

Trisask
Jul 29, 2013
Given the downtime between updates, I'm starting to doubt the LP will be completed before 2030 or whenever this game takes place.

(That's the code by the way)

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I'm sure it's refreshing to everyone to see that Alice continues being a horrible person after that heartfelt apology.

Because, I mean, what normal person can't rattle off the secret code to a terrorist bomb without CIA training? Come on, Sigma.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Nov 12, 2014

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.
An easy explanation would be that Alice just looked into so much prime factor stuff during previous decoding shenanigans that she knows the answer to that one off the top of her head. Like, if you do a lot of, say, nursing, and if you get an 180 pound guy who needs some Drug X, you'll be able to skip all the internal calculations of converting pounds to kilograms and milligrams needed per kilogram and milligrams per cubic centimeter and just be able to say "well, I'd better get 15cc of Drug X" right off the top of your head.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I always figured she was some kind of savant, calculating it semi-unconsciously. To be fair, Sigma apparently has a photographic memory.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Maybe Alice just came back to this timeline to the point right after Sigma told her the number, while in another timeline she had spent half an hour in front of a computer solving it and memorized the answer across timelines just to impress Sigma.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Now how do you think they've made the pyramids without genuine mathematical prowess, huh?

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
Actually, factorization is weird (strongly believed to be super-polynomial, known to be sub-exponential). That is, for normal computers. For quantum computers, it is known to be polynomial. It has even been implemented and tested (Shur's algorithm factorizing 15). There is no reason to believe this universe doesn't have quantum computers.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

klafbang posted:

There is no reason to believe this universe doesn't have quantum computers.

Fedule posted:

I'm an artifical intelligence powered by a quantum computer.
Zero is the one who built me, of course.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

klafbang posted:

Actually, factorization is weird (strongly believed to be super-polynomial, known to be sub-exponential). That is, for normal computers. For quantum computers, it is known to be polynomial. It has even been implemented and tested (Shur's algorithm factorizing 15). There is no reason to believe this universe doesn't have quantum computers.

I like this post because it's further proof of my hypothesis that sticking the adjective quantum in front of anything causes me to immediately not know a loving thing about it.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
I don't know whether there's more to quantum computers than non-determinism, but here's how a non-deterministic computer would work: Instead of sequentially trying every possible solution one at a time until it finds the right one, the computer just chooses one at random and sees whether it works. Because this is a random choice, it spawns a collection of parallel universes where each solution was chosen, and in one of those universes, the chosen solution was correct. That's the universe the computer lives in, while the other universes just sort of GAME OVER and cease to exist in any meaningful way.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?

Fedule posted:

What?! No! No way! That's impossible!

I told you. I'm better at math than most people.

That's not "better at math"!

Well, look at you—you just recited a huge string of numbers.
That seems pretty astounding too.

Probably one of my favourite exchanges in the entire game. Someone calls out Sigma for something, finally.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Ironically, it's the person who no one calls out for not wearing any upper body clothing.

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

curiousCat posted:

Probably one of my favourite exchanges in the entire game. Someone calls out Sigma for something, finally.
And it's just for having an eidetic memory.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

maswastaken posted:

And it's just for having an eidetic memory.

Yeah, it's pretty ironic because this is pretty much the only thing that happened in that scene that a human can actually do.

distactedOne
Oct 29, 2012

Fedule posted:

Yes, the Vita version is uniquely hamstrung by the lack of a second screen, and it was apparently beyond the programmers to allow you to switch between this screen and the answer input screen at will.

Funny story: I "legitimately" failed at this point playing the 3DS version, because I didn't write down the code number and it didn't let me scroll back through the text to retrieve it.

Naturally, you don't get any warning at all for that one, so the puzzle is horribly implemented in both versions.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Fedule posted:

God I miss unemployment academia.

Don't worry, you'll get there in about, 400 AF and then you won't be singing the same tune

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

mateo360 posted:

Don't worry, you'll get there in about, 400 AF and then you won't be singing the same tune

Don't you dare remind me. :suicide:

• Locked thread