Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

EclecticTastes posted:

Even outside of that timeline, she was pretty terrible outside of the two "real" endings (the True Ending, and the timeline you need to achieve it), and she's demonstrated pretty well that she hasn't changed a bit since, she's a few well-placed words from Dio and a weapon away from reenacting that particular bad end in every single one of the "Alice is dead" timelines we've seen so far. Even when Alice hasn't died, Clover has managed to consistently be the worst non-Dio character outside of her ending, and Dio's at least better company in the puzzle rooms. I wouldn't be surprised if the devs were cognizant of this, and that's why betraying Clover is the right move in Dio's ending.

Then again, you have to betray Alice and Tenmyouji to get their endings. And Phi by morphogenetic shenanigans.

I guess that just establishes Luna as the one true ally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

ApplesandOranges posted:

Then again, you have to betray Alice and Tenmyouji to get their endings. And Phi by morphogenetic shenanigans.

I guess that just establishes Luna as the one true ally.

Well, you have to betray Luna for the Dio ending, the only person that Sigma hasn't betrayed at all without getting a bad end thus far is Quark, pretty sure. Possibly Dio, as well, but that's only because you so rarely get teamed with him. Though, it's true that Luna hasn't voted Betray once of her own free will, so she's definitely the nicest person, at least.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Good people die, but Alice also dies a lot and she was a jerk.

So it all evens out in the end, I guess?

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Okay, there's clearly no need to run this one any further.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Kgummy posted:

After all, K wouldn't leave if the cure was still intact.

Or at least shouldn't do so.

Welp. Looks like he did.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

EclecticTastes posted:

Well, you have to betray Luna for the Dio ending, the only person that Sigma hasn't betrayed at all without getting a bad end thus far is Quark, pretty sure. Possibly Dio, as well, but that's only because you so rarely get teamed with him. Though, it's true that Luna hasn't voted Betray once of her own free will, so she's definitely the nicest person, at least.

You have to betray Tenmyouji and Quark to get the Tenmyouji end, I think.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

You have to betray Tenmyouji and Quark to get the Tenmyouji end, I think.

That gets you the bad ending where Clover escapes.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

The people have spoken, and it's, uh, pretty decisive.

90% of 119 respondents want us to do this one over.

So let's not fall for that ploy this time.

Good people die. Or, get locked in weird facilities for eternity.

What a good round.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Dio betrayed? Well I never

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
good job, tenmyouji. now disease-addled quark is gonna make a run for it as soon as the room is clear.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Luna would be so sad to see that everyone else betrayed each other.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Well it wouldn't be the first time, unless I'm remembering the Alice pathway incorrectly.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
And now Quark will miraculously recover and escape for reasons unexplained.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
It's a Betrayal party! :toot:

Except for Luna, but she was always a party pooper.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Jagged Jim posted:

Except for Luna, but she was always a party pooper.

Even from the grave, she's votin' Ally.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

At least K's not screwing us with timey wimey "Oh I voted Ally now just to make you look like a dick." nonsense.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Does that make K more or less of a jerk than everyone else?

Well, everyone else aside from Alice, who is still the worst. :argh:

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Does that make K more or less of a jerk than everyone else?

Well, everyone else aside from Alice, who is still the worst. :argh:

Tenmyouji changed his vote between timelines, too, so he's just as bad in that regard.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

EclecticTastes posted:

Tenmyouji changed his vote between timelines, too, so he's just as bad in that regard.

Tenmyouji punched out Dio though, so that makes up for it.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

Tenmyouji punched out Dio though, so that makes up for it.

Alice was half of the team that unmasked Dio as the bad guy (Sigma being the other half), so I'd say the score is even.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Her reaction to you saving her from committing suicide was immediately running out of nowhere and voting betray. I'm still mad.

alcharagia posted:

It's really amazing how one screenshot can so perfectly capture the exact moment Alice became my least favorite character in this game.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Feb 19, 2017

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"
I've completely lost track of these votes on a general level, was there ever a point in this game where the opposing party doesn't betray you with increasingly terrible excuses for doing so?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

AnotherGamer posted:

I've completely lost track of these votes on a general level, was there ever a point in this game where the opposing party doesn't betray you with increasingly terrible excuses for doing so?

The least terrible reason is maybe Phi (I betrayed you because you betrayed me in another timeline). Or Dio I guess, because he just does what a Dio does, it's in his nature.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

AnotherGamer posted:

The very first path we ever took all those years ago (and which we still haven't gotten to the end of because of the terminal in Director's Room) was with Luna on the other side and she always voted Ally.

Tenmyouji and Clover have also "legitimately" voted Ally, while Alice and Phi have voted Ally but only when we voted Betray.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Kanfy posted:

The very first path we ever took all those years ago (and which we still haven't gotten to the end of because of the terminal in Director's Room) was with Luna on the other side and she always voted Ally.

Tenmyouji and Clover have also "legitimately" voted Ally, while Alice and Phi have voted Ally but only when we voted Betray.

Grouping with Tenmyouji at the first door decision results in him voting the opposite of you, same as Alice.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Grouping with Tenmyouji at the first door decision results in him voting the opposite of you, same as Alice.

That's true, but he does also mutually Ally with you on the path that eventually leads to Zero Sr.'s hologram message and Tenmyouji's ending.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
everyone except luna is a dick, but not all of them are willing to kill people.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

To be fair, in the case of Phi she votes betray because you betrayed her first for seemingly no reason and also remembers being betrayed by everyone in other timelines.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
NB: Tindeck has failed to process my uploads one too many times in a row, so I'm now moving new audio links over to Clyp, which seems to be basically the new Tindeck. This means you're going to be seeing a mix of Tindeck links and Clyp links (but all in text) from here on out, because like gently caress am I reuploading all of these files and changing all the links, and stuff already up on Tindeck seems not to be affected.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
VLR OST: [Eeriness]

Listen in: [English/Japanese]

Leading to a draw, it would seem.

You don't feel bad about it or anything?

I could ask the same of you.

Okay, yeah, I guess that's fair.

I had thought that you would choose "ally."

If I had, then you'd have 9 BP right now, wouldn't you?
Nice try, but I'm not gonna let you get out of here that easily.

As I told you before, even if I were to reach 9 BP, I would not necessarily leave immediately.
I might choose to wait until everyone else had also reached 9 BP.

Yeah, well... I considered that. Didn't seem likely.

Then you do not trust me.

Well...

No need to apologize. Trust must be earned in a game like this.

Says the guy who told me to trust him so he could betray me.

The honesty is refreshing but that's really not the brightest move...

If you'd just picked "ally," I'd have 9 BP right now...

Why on Earth would I have done that?

There's no way Clover would have chosen "ally" when you had a chance to betray her and get to 9 BP.

Are you an idiot or something?

Bunch of smartasses...

Of course. Luna... Luna's bracelet is already off.
No risk of a penalty for her now.

That brings Quark's BP up to 9.

Are you worried that he might try and get out?

Well, if he were to do so, the rest of us would be trapped here.

Hmph. Bet you're all pretty happy he isn't here right now, aren't you?

Whoa, whoa, nobody's saying that.

Maybe you aren't saying it, but I know what you're thinking.

[Music fades out]

The Ambidex Gates have closed.
Round three of the Ambidex Game will be the Star Round.
Star keys are required to open the gates.
There is no set limit on usage of the star keys.
The Ambidex Gates can be opened as many times as the players wish to open them.

VLR OST: [Placidity]

As many times as we want, huh...
Then that means we can play the AB game over and over using these star keys, right?

So it would seem.

Beyond the next set of Chromatic Doors.

Oh? You found them already?

Yeah, that's right. I forgot to tell you guys.
Take a look at the map...

White doors, huh.
Maybe that's where Quark went...

The warehouse on floor B, you said?

Yeah, but you're not going to be able to get through them until they open.

drat...

Time we had a look at all our colors, then.

Yeah. Looks like they've been shuffled around again.
Looks like I'm a...

You and me, huh?
Better than Dio I guess...

You say something?

What color are you?

*Sigh*

What's with the sigh?!

Forget about it.

What about you two?

Both of them are yellow pairs.

Then... What color is Quark?

He's a red solo.

But solos can't group together, right?

That's why the pairs are magenta, yellow, and cyan.
Magenta is a mix of red and blue. Yellow is a mix of red and green. Cyan is a mix of blue and green.
So if you combine magenta with green you get white, and so on.

I see.

We just need to get to the floor B warehouse when the doors open, right?
I'll be taking off, then.

Where do you think you're going?

Anywhere that isn't here.
Hanging out with a murderer doesn't sound like a good time to me.

The guy who insists on splitting up is usually the first to bite it.

What?!

Then again, loners often turn out to be killers.

Just what are you getting at, old man? You think I killed them?!

Maybe, maybe not, but you're pretty drat suspicious.

You trying to start something, you wrinkled old piece of—!

Hey! Knock it off.
We don't actually know one of us is the killer, do we?

And there is an excellent chance that Zero Sr. and the killer are one and the same.

Then why did he kill Alice and Luna now?
If Zero Sr. wanted any of us dead, he could have done it way before this.
While we were, I don't know, unconscious, for instance.
What's the point of setting up this whole game just to kill off two of your participants halfway through?

Then are you saying there's another person in here somewhere?

It's possible.
I think it might be a good idea for us to all look for the killer.

Well, we gain nothing by standing around here.

Yeah...
I've got to find Quark, and soon.

If we're going to search, we should go in pairs this time.

How are we going to pair up, then?

If he decides he feels like snapping me in half there's not a whole hell of a lot I can do about it.

I'll go with anyone besides Dio.

I don't want to go with Dio either.

What the hell?!

Just figured that this way we don't have to make this into a huge argument.
Besides, I'm going to be stuck with you once we go through the Chromatic Doors anyway.
No reason to put it off.

I will go with Sigma.

Oh yeah?

Would you prefer someone else?

No, I guess you're okay...

Yup.

Looks like we're all set.

All right, Clover and I'll take the magenta door and the red door.

That leaves us with the yellow and green doors then.
Once we're all done, let's meet in the floor B warehouse, all right?

Got it.

See you later, then.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Sooner or later, everyone puts up with Dio.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
...Huh. Colour shufflings are different compared to the other Magenta path (Sigma and Phi were paired up there.) First time that's happened.

Anyway, pair-ups are...

(Alice+Luna)+Sigma
(Phi+K)+Dio
(Tenmyouji+Clover)+Quark

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Feb 21, 2017

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

ApplesandOranges posted:

...Huh. Colour shufflings are different compared to the other Magenta path (Sigma and Phi were paired up there.) First time that's happened.

Anyway, pair-ups are...

(Alice+Luna)+Sigma
(Phi+K)+Dio
(Tenmyouji+Clover)+Quark
From a purely metagame perspective, we're probably about to get murdered, just because a solo room would be really boring.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

Actually, as I recall, every time the third-round bracelets have been revealed up to this point, they've been different, even though you don't get to go through the white doors in most timelines. What's really strange is how the second-round rooms change based on timeline. Nobody but Sigma has gotten the GAULEM Bay as their puzzle room, for instance, and the Treatment Bay and Laboratory appear all over the timelines with little rhyme or reason.

EDIT:

theshim posted:

From a purely metagame perspective, we're probably about to get murdered, just because a solo room would be really boring.

I'd actually be interested in just one solo escape room, occurring near the end of the game, where the dialog is mostly the main character (in this case, Sigma) reflecting on what's occurred up to that point, without anyone else interjecting. The sort of room where instead of conversing between the characters, it becomes something of a one-sided conversation between the protagonist and the player.

EclecticTastes fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Feb 21, 2017

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Huh. Sigma's opponents are two empty bracelets. That's a guaranteed +3 BP, but there's literally no reason to ally there. So yet again, we're never making it to the vote.

But let's look at the likely results:

(Alice+Luna)+Sigma = Ally / Betray = Sigma: 8
(Phi+K)+Dio = Betray / Betray = Phi: 5, K: 6, Dio: 6
(Tenmyouji+Clover)+Quark = ???

Clover would want to betray to prevent Quark from escaping, Ten would ally, because he wants Quark to escape even if he can't. So that would make for an intersting vote which isn't going to happen anyway.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Feb 21, 2017

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

EclecticTastes posted:

Actually, as I recall, every time the third-round bracelets have been revealed up to this point, they've been different, even though you don't get to go through the white doors in most timelines. What's really strange is how the second-round rooms change based on timeline. Nobody but Sigma has gotten the GAULEM Bay as their puzzle room, for instance, and the Treatment Bay and Laboratory appear all over the timelines with little rhyme or reason.

The bracelet shufflings for the Tenmyouji/Clover endings were the same, even though we didn't go through the white door in the Clover ending.

Actually, the shufflings for the Cyan route seem to be jumbled up as well - Sigma was a Red solo on the Phi route, while he was a Cyan pair on the Alice route. So I guess the Yellow route's just a fluke.

Also, we haven't always seen who went to what rooms. So far on all three Magenta routes people have visited the Rec Room, but one team always shows up in a panic because Quark's gone missing, so probably they're the ones that visited the GAULEM bay.

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Feb 21, 2017

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

The bracelet shufflings for the Tenmyouji/Clover endings were the same, even though we didn't go through the white door in the Clover ending.

Actually, the shufflings for the Cyan route seem to be jumbled up as well - Sigma was a Red solo on the Phi route, while he was a Cyan pair on the Alice route. So I guess the Yellow route's just a fluke.

Also, we haven't always seen who went to what rooms. So far on all three Magenta routes people have visited the Rec Room, but one team always shows up in a panic because Quark's gone missing, so probably they're the ones that visited the GAULEM bay.

Both of the other known green door teams in the Luna third of the timelines tell you explicitly they went to the Treatment Center. If you notice, both on the map and just based on rooms traversed, each of the three second-round doors can lead to one of three rooms, and those are the only rooms that are opened, barring unusual happenings. The green door leads to the Treatment Center in two Luna timelines and all three Tenmyouji timelines based on what the other teams say/going through the room yourself. In the "disarm the bombs" timeline we're stuck on, the green door led to the Archives, given that it was unlocked, with Phi taking Sigma there to explain how the time shenanigans work. Additionally, the blue door has led to the PEC, Rec Room, and Botanical Garden, while the red door has led to the Pantry, Control Room, and Laboratory. So far, Sigma's team is the only one to ever find the Control Room, as well, other timelines have the red door teams describing either the Lab or the Pantry as their puzzle room. If you'd like one, I can make a quick list showing which team went where in each of the currently traversed timelines.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

EclecticTastes posted:

Both of the other known green door teams in the Luna third of the timelines tell you explicitly they went to the Treatment Center. If you notice, both on the map and just based on rooms traversed, each of the three second-round doors can lead to one of three rooms, and those are the only rooms that are opened, barring unusual happenings. The green door leads to the Treatment Center in two Luna timelines and all three Tenmyouji timelines based on what the other teams say/going through the room yourself. In the "disarm the bombs" timeline we're stuck on, the green door led to the Archives, given that it was unlocked, with Phi taking Sigma there to explain how the time shenanigans work. Additionally, the blue door has led to the PEC, Rec Room, and Botanical Garden, while the red door has led to the Pantry, Control Room, and Laboratory. So far, Sigma's team is the only one to ever find the Control Room, as well, other timelines have the red door teams describing either the Lab or the Pantry as their puzzle room. If you'd like one, I can make a quick list showing which team went where in each of the currently traversed timelines.

I wonder if that is related to the mysterious murdered woman who only appears in the one timeline.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I wonder if that is related to the mysterious murdered woman who only appears in the one timeline.

Two timelines. Her body showed up in the Magenta and Yellow paths.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Clover would want to betray to prevent Quark from escaping, Ten would ally, because he wants Quark to escape even if he can't. So that would make for an intersting vote which isn't going to happen anyway.

That's kind of academic unless they can find Quark first, otherwise they can't get through the Chomatic Doors. And even if they did Ten might just open the 9 Door and toss him out the airlock like he did that other time.

• Locked thread