Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I'm up on a month since my last Hotel Dusk update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
I still, over four years later, get the occasional person asking me to finish up Police Quest 3.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

I believe.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Virtue posted:

I believe.
And that is your last reward

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

PMush Perfect posted:

And that is your last reward

I hope the rest of Lettuce Play Zero Escape is Virtue's Last Reward. Patience is a virtue right?

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

The Sakura Wars LP will finish one of these days, I just know it.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
One day, I'll finish up the Sword of Mana LP.*

*This is a dirty, filthy lie.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

idonotlikepeas posted:

I still, over four years later, get the occasional person asking me to finish up Police Quest 3.

Police Quests 1+2 were really good, man.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
OK, I'm caught up now.

I liked 999 alright when I finally came across it on the archive, it was an addictive read, but some of the final reveals were kind of offputting - mainly the reveal that a bunch of the numbers on the bracelets were wrong, the rules for the game were in a different base, and it was a complete coincidence across multiple timelines that there wasn't a contradiction. If I'm remembering that right. It seemed like kind of a dick move.

When the characters and scenario at first present themselves as even crazier, I was dreading an even more clever twist. But at some point, a new game came out, and I became curious about catching up so I could play it.

And of course this has been a very compelling addictive read. There's obviously some things that are going to be huge twists about the characters - we still haven't come to how our friend the GAULEM's chat was relevant, and though the characters seem to be flesh and blood enough to all catch viruses and get stabbed and lethally injected there's still something off here.
However, all the rules of the game have been enforced as promised, and I don't see any way they could pull the rug out there.

I'm probably going to buy and play through the steam versions. I also have heard they don't have the puzzles but honestly not sure that's even that much of a bad thing... but is it true?

Anyhow it's been a fun ride, probably the best VN I've seen.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The Steam versions of 999 and VLR are the full games. The iOS version of 999 is the one that removes the puzzles.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

Hemingway To Go! posted:

I liked 999 alright when I finally came across it on the archive, it was an addictive read, but some of the final reveals were kind of offputting - mainly the reveal that a bunch of the numbers on the bracelets were wrong, the rules for the game were in a different base, and it was a complete coincidence across multiple timelines that there wasn't a contradiction. If I'm remembering that right. It seemed like kind of a dick move.

This is incorrect. The only two characters with misleading bracelets were Santa and Akane, and their bracelets complemented each other in such a way that no one would notice as long as they always went into the same rooms. The game rules were exactly as presented, not in a different base.

Suraht
Feb 12, 2014

DanielCross posted:

This is incorrect. The only two characters with misleading bracelets were Santa and Akane, and their bracelets complemented each other in such a way that no one would notice as long as they always went into the same rooms. The game rules were exactly as presented, not in a different base.

To be fair, they did use a different base for the final door, a decent percentage of the puzzles, and made a lot of references to alternate bases, so it could almost seem like the base thing was tied into the game rules.

Also, they did have at least one other bracelet that had a misleading number in the one found with the corpse behind the 1 door. Not quite as ubiquitous as Hemingway seemed to claim, but I can't argue that it felt like there was a lot of base and bracelet shenanigans.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Waffleman_ posted:

The Steam versions of 999 and VLR are the full games. The iOS version of 999 is the one that removes the puzzles.

hell yeah. probably will get it when schedule clears up, hopefully there aren't crash errors

DanielCross posted:

It's been a long time since I read it and it was late when I finished, so I remembered more characters having that twist and the q/9 thing as being presented as being a thing all along. Again, experiencing it myself might make things feel a lot different.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

idonotlikepeas posted:

The Police Quest 1/2 LPs were mentioned in the new King's Quest thread, and I wanted to point out Police Quest 3 was LP'd also, but then remembered it never got finished and was sad.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

idonotlikepeas posted:

I legit never realized it's been four years, which is probably a major contributor to why when I see you posting, I think to myself "I wish they would get around to finishing Police Quest 3"

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Me a couple of days ago: 999 was great, let's read VLR's LP. Oh, it started in 2013? Perfect, it's finished already.

Me today: :negative:

I actually have the game but I was too lazy to play 999 until recently. What would be the fastest path to reach the current LP state in game? I guess most of the game overs are not required.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

You have to hit every game over. :unsmigghh:

Just play it, it's great. I replayed it recently, even knowing the story and remembering most of the puzzles it was still fantastic to play through.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

DanielCross posted:

It's still a bit of a 'twist for twist's sake' since it just meant that there was a duplicate numbered bracelet and the only real reason it was there was so that Santa would so eagerly rush to enter door 3 if you chose it.

Also nobody noticing that Lotus went to all the same rooms as June/Santa on that route is funny.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

gmq posted:

I actually have the game but I was too lazy to play 999 until recently. What would be the fastest path to reach the current LP state in game? I guess most of the game overs are not required.

You have to hit one specific bad ending (Alice -> Betray -> Phi -> Betray) to pass a plot lock, but otherwise you can go for all the good endings and skip the bad endings (which as seen in the LP are usually some variant of "someone else gets out, sucks to be you"). Some of the bad endings are admittedly somewhat more interesting though.

Otherwise, since the LP's actually done nearly all the routes at this point, you'd basically have to play through all of them in some order or other, in order to catch up to the LP. So aside from "you don't need to bother with an obviously bad ally/betrayal choice for a bad ending" there's not much you can avoid.

I will point out that you can solve puzzle rooms on easy (which gets you the fun and usually insulting-to-Sigma hints from your companions, not to mention spelling out the solutions to some of the more obnoxious puzzles), then hop back in after escaping and redo the room on hard when you already know the safe solutions so you can pretty much immediately grab the gold file and leave. Also if you've got the story really fresh in your mind from the LP you can tell the game to allow skip mode even for unread text, though use this feature at your own peril.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
It's also worth noting that Dio and Clover are the only endings not behind a plot lock at the outset of the game.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.
Was going to post this earlier but I forgot.

Watching Jeopardy this past week, there were not one, but two clues that had information referenced in 999. July 4th's Daily Double was "The neurological condition prosopagnosia is often called this blindness, for what isn't recognized" (this stumped the player). The next day saw the clue "The leaves of this good luck item are said to represent faith, hope, love & luck."

Just a random coincidence, but I thought that was neat.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

A completely astonishing 100% of respondents have opted for the only available option; chasing down the only available route still unimpeded by plotlocks.

Previously on this path: Sigma elects to choose the right over the rational and votes to Ally with Alice, against the advice of Phi. Unfortunately, this triggered some sort of quantum echo that caused Alice to hit the Betray button five minutes previously. Don't ask.

VLR OST: [Strain]

You may recall that the choice here works a little differently to the other routes. Alice suggests she take a path with K and Quark, which would stick us with Phi and Luna in the red door. We are given a chance to object, which we take.

Why not?

Because.

Rrgghh...

Oh no...this is bad...
Which door do you want then? The only other choices are A and C...

I thought about it again.

If I went with A, then Luna and I would end up paired with Clover, and we'd go through the green door.
On the other hand, if I chose C, we'd be going through the blue door with Alice.
So which one did I want?

And here the game throws you back to the traditional choice. Except, as we know now from experience, it's not really a choice at all.

I'd like to take Option C.
We'll take Alice and the blue door.

Listen in: [English/Japanese]

What on Earth makes you think I'd be willing to do that!?

There's no way in hell! I'm not going anywhere with you.
You betrayed me in the last AB Game!

I don't pair up with assholes.

One minute remains until Chromatic Doors close.

We don't have much time left...
Sigma, please, can't you reconsider...?

I didn't really have a choice.
There was no way I'd be able to physically force Alice to come with me, at least not in less than a minute.

...and now we're given a choice between taking the option Alice suggested in the first place, and the only actual alternative.

I'll settle for Option A.
That's Clover and the green door.

Fine by me.
Like I said before, there's something I want to talk to Alice about.

Are you going to tell me what this thing is?

That'll have to wait. Talk to me again on the other side.

Gah! Now I'm curious!

So you're fine with this, Alice? With Option A, I mean.

Do whatever you want. I don't care.

Okay, that's it then.
Let's go, everybody!

Ten seconds remain until Chromatic Doors close.
Nine...Eight...Seven...

We nodded quickly to one another, and split up.

Tenmyouji, Dio, and Alice headed toward the red door, while K, Quark, and Phi made their way toward the blue one.

The gaping maw of the green door bounced in front of me as Clover, Luna, and I ran toward it.

[Music fades out]

Two...One...Zero.
Chromatic Doors closing...

VLR OST: [Placidity]

Listen in: [English/Japanese]

All three doors seem to be locked.

Yeah.

I wonder what it is...

It looks like the thing next to the number nine door...

Clover, try pulling that lever.

Why do I have to do it?

It might be dangerous.
I was hoping you could just wrap your hands around it and give it a good jerk. It is kinda big, but I'm sure you can handle it. Just...be gentle.

Uh... This doesn't seem like appropriate workplace behavior.
You're kinda grossing me out.

I know you probably still think of yourself as just a girl, but you have to become a woman some—

You're not making it any better!
Why don't you do it?!

If you can't take it, then maybe Luna can. Have you done this before? You just start at the base and work your way up, then give it a good tug once you get to the top.

...Wh-What?

What is wrong with you?! If you're so desperate to give that lever a good time why don't you do it yourself!
Just leave me and Luna out of your sick fantasies, you creep!

Hmph. Fine. But I won't like it.

I sighed heavily and flipped the switch with as much languid disdain as I could manage.

One of the doors opened.

Yeah, just the one on the left.

Hmm, we might as well go through it.

Yeah.
Maybe we should try flipping it one more time, though... I think you could actually manage it with just one hand, Clover. Just do it real fast, it'll only take a second. Just up and down once...

Ugh. You are disgusting.

Go on, make the joke. I dare you.

Huh...

So, this is the archives.
That's what it said on the door, after all, but...

Yeah, I didn't really expect it to be so...archive-y. All these books and stuff everywhere...

Maybe we can find some clues here.

I agree.

All right, let's split up and have a look around.
Allons-y!

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Housekeeping note: I've gone back to Tindeck for audio because it is somehow still not dead and seems to have gotten over its fuckery with uploading stuff. Clyp, in the meantime, has started charging for more than a certain amount of use which I'm sure to hit and gently caress that noise. Audio is not that important to this LP, nice as it is.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

:toot:

Fedule, for real, thank you.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Yay we're back on this wild ride.

I've settled on "We're playing two separate sessions of this Nonary Game taking place in different time periods at the same time" as one of the twists in this game even though it's a touch too similar to 999's main twist, so part of me hopes I'm wrong and there's something even crazier afoot.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Glad this isn't dead! :peanut:

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

:toot:

Fedule, for real, thank you.

Same

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
It seems this LP is Fedule's own Nonary Game, until he finally finishes its many trials and walks through that final door he will never be truly free from it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Keep the faith.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Bruceski posted:

Keep the faith.

Clover will murder Fedule with an axe.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
That sure was an awkward penis joke.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Between betraying Alice and his behaviour here, I gotta say that Sigma's being a real... dick.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Not surprised this thread is finally in archives

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Fellis posted:

:drat:

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Fellis posted:

Oh that was the joke

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Really it looks like there's a fuckton of potential information on the shelves here.

Unless the base-builders were a big fan of Books By The Foot or something.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Fellis posted:

:thurman:

beru04
May 4, 2013

Stop making me realise things.
It's back, again!

You're really jerking us around with these stop-starts Fedule

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

That was a satisfying update, catch y'all in 2018.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Oh hi again thread.

The writer really likes these long innuendo filled conversations, huh.

• Locked thread