Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RoeCocoa
Oct 23, 2010

I signed in for the first time in months to read the NieR: Automata LP, and saw that this thread was back. Twice! A pleasant surprise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Bruceski posted:

That was a satisfying update, catch y'all in 2018.
Give Fedule some credit. There's gonna be one more update, and then the next hiatus.

For real, though, glad to see this is back!

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

PMush Perfect posted:

Give Fedule some credit. There's gonna be one more update, and then the next hiatus.

You're god drat right, and here it is.

(I actually thought I had already posted the previous update before the last break, and I was very disheartened I couldn't bring the thread back from a week before archiving with an update titled Escape: Archives, but here we are.)

(I continue to be astonished that updates continue to get receptions on any level beyond the recurring joke of the thread's recurring death. I talk a lot of poo poo but this here is sincere: you people give me the strength to continue doing this completely nonsensical thing and I love you all.)

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

The Archives is one of only two remaining escape rooms in the game!

Sigma (6BP, Yellow Pair) and Luna (5BP, Yellow Pair) are stuck in here with Clover (6BP, Cyan Solo).

VLR OST: [Data]

This is what's going to be in your ears for all this time. It's the only escape track that gets reused outside its original room... once. That's the most immediately notable thing about it. It's... some noises. It's... very ambient. I'm reaching here.

Archives is not a complicated room, or a long one, or one very full of meaningful content. It is, however, high on a lot of peoples' lists of unfavourites, for one very particular reason that we will get to.

This seems an obvious start.

It says "Management Number." What do you think it means?

Well, pretty much the only thing anyone's gonna manage in this room is books...
It's got the letters A, B, C, and D, and then the numbers 1 through 8 running vertically.

Maybe it's referring to the bookshelves in front of us?

Hm...

Well, the bookshelf has 8 rows, and so does this chart.

There's a narrow bookshelf on either side, and wider ones in the middle.

Yes, they're shaped just like the diagrams on the chart.

Hey, there's a blue slot here.

You think we're supposed to put something in it?

It's an awfully small hole... What would we be putting in it?

There comes a point where this not being obvious stops being believable. But here we are.

Then the bookshelves from the left would be A, B, C, and D, right?

That would make the thin one on the left A, and then B, C, and D as you go to the right.

Yeah, and I think the numbers are the rows, counting from the top.

So the top left shelf would be column A, row 1.

I think it'd be easier if you just call it A-01.

This little barrage of hints, it turns out, is almost entirely unnecessary. But we'll get to that.

Let's take a little spin, literally, around the room. Note the safe on the floor by the exit door. It's surprisingly easy to miss, especially on the 3DS's tiny screen.

I don't think we'll be able to force it open, but... No harm in trying.

*rattle*

...Nope. Well, I didn't think that'd work.

I guess we'll have to open the lock if we want to open the box.

Uh, well... Did you see this die on top?

Oh. Yeah, that is...totally a die.

You're not making it sound any less suspicious.

Well it's perfectly ordinary.

Moving on.

This sure is a desk with things on it.

Yup.

I don't see a spring... Maybe we should check the movement...

The movement...?

Sorry, "movement" means the internal pieces that actually make it work. Like the cylinder here.
Unfortunately it looks like it's been fixed in place with a Phillips screw.

Lady it looks like there's a helluva lot more missing from this music box than a spring.

Oh, must be notebook paper.

I don't see any notes on it, though...

It kinda looks to me as though this paper has indents of something written on it, but I guess it's likely just coincidental. It's definitely not part of a puzzle, in any case. Well, I mean, the paper is, but we're not gonna be doing the pencil rubbing trick on it or anything.

One last thing on this desk...

This looks like the sort of ink you'd use with a dip pen, but... I don't remember seeing anything like that.
Then again, I suppose you could use it for a lot of different things.

Continuing our tour... some scales.

Time for an elaborate puzzle!

lol j/k you can just open the drawer.

Why would you have a screwdriver in a room full of books?

Maybe it's useful if you're reading some deconstructionist literature?

...What?

What a coincidence. We'll get to all that in just a bit, after we poke at these scales and the stuff on them.

Quite.

Yes. I think you usually use weights like this to weigh things, but I suppose you could do other things with it.

If you put it in a snowball, you could get a little extra oomph.

That's not what I meant!

Do we actually have anything to weigh?

Well, the scale had a die and a weight on it when we found it.

We've got three dice. I think we should be able to figure out what they weigh using this weight.

Puzzle time! I won't bore you with the instructions. It's a scale.

Buuuuut I think we probably need more hints or--

It certainly doesn't look that way.
I think all we're supposed to do with it is weigh things.

Oh.

Well, as we've already seen, the red die weighs 50g.

We can also see the blue die weighs more than the green.

The slightest experimental spirit will show that the green die weighs 50g more than the red, or 100g. There's really only two possibilities for the weight of the blue at this point...

...And we guessed correctly that it was 150g. Well, that was hard.

If you want, you can back out repeatedly and Luna will exhaustively walk you through the whole thing. But honestly I imagine most people will probably figure it out faster than it would take her to say it all.

...and that's everything! There's not much in here. Let's start working these leads.

As puzzles go, it's pretty straightforward. We just need the right five-digit number.

As you may have suspected, what we need here is the weight of the dice, and it is just a math problem. As long as we remember our order of operations and don't add before we multiply, like some sort of chump, we can very easily arrive at the answer...

Good job! Let's open it!

Heh heh. Sounds like fun.

Let's open it up.

*rustle* *rustle* *rustle*

I...I can't read it...
I think this is Latin.

Looks that way.

Well, it's not a total loss. There's a bookmark at least.

Hm... Maybe we should take that.

The bookmark, obviously, goes in the archive. That's, the archive, singular, to differentiate it from the archives, plural, which is the room we are in. Yeah.

Yup.

Well, that's... everything.

We've missed something.

What is it? I can't see from down here.

We should probably poke at the bookshelves, but let's pare down our inventory a bit first.

Then maybe the cylinder is what's important.

Even by this game's standards, this is some undue strain on the fourth wall.

Why don't you try putting some ink on it?

...Ink?

Just do it.

I hope you know what you're doing...

Of course! More. Put more on. Slather it on.

What are you going to do with it?

Um...
Uh, Clover? What am I supposed to do with it now?

You're gonna roll the cylinder across the paper. Make sure you press down!

What the hell is that going to accomplish?

The ink on the sticky-outy bits will get pressed onto the paper, right? We can see what the pattern is.

Sticky-outy...?

Just do it!

And there we go. Pattern transcribed.

And that's four items abstracted into a file.

Here's the finished project and a better look at the indentations in the original page. I wanna say it's a bunch of equations. It looks equation-y.

Anyway. The shelves.

You're right, it's a different color.

Let's have a look at it.

Hey, there's something written on the back cover of this book!

I won't bore you with the transcription of all the text for all the books we're going to be picking up, but suffice to say they all have titles, and stuff written on the back.

So I'm not sure how coincidental any of this is, but. In theory, the puzzle here is that the notes on the back of these books tell us the correct positions for the other books according to the referencing system laid out on the central computer thing. But as it happens, it's much more satisfying to go for the intellectual sledgehammer approach and observe that the labels on each book just so happen to all refer to the same locations those books were found in, and thus the title scrawled on it is the title of the book that needs to replace them. When you do that it turns out that the books are just pairs that need to be swapped.

And it's just a matter of doing the gruntwork. If you really want you can also interact with the shelves to learn the label of each shelf.

Let's just skip over that mess. The titles of the four books are, when arranged in order, "Go Up", "The Staircase", "To The Sun", "And Lion". Cool.

I think it came from the other side of the wall.

No, that wasn't the wall... I think it came from the bookshelf.

Wh-What's happening...?

I guess it was one of those trick bookshelves, where if you put the right thing in the right place it does stuff.

It's like a staircase...

Well, if they were nice enough to give us stairs, I guess we should climb them.

Should I go?

Well, with a big skirt like that it might get kind of dangerous...

Oh. If I just hike it up, I think I should be—

And, uh, I think there's somebody down on all fours, trying to not to look like he's staring up toward the bookshelf...

S-Sigma...?

What are you doing?

I, uh...lost a contact...

You don't wear any!

*violence*

Ow!

You climb.

Okay...

Okay... That's the only thing that's up here.
Guess I might as well take it.
Huh.
Can't really go any further... This is a dead end.

Are you done yet?

Was there anything up there?

Yeah. I'm heading back down now.

No puzzles or anything like that.

Just that stuffed animal?

Yeah.

Dog...?

I'm...pretty sure that's a lion.

This is a lion? It doesn't really look like one...

Nah, it's a lion.

Oh, hold on... There's a zipper on its back.

Let's see what's inside!

Well then.

Incidentally, if you examine any of the other bookshelves in the room;

Can you read it?

No... I'm sorry.

You, uh, don't need to apologize for that...
What about you, Clover?

Of course not.

And there's a blue slot in the stand...

Let's see what happens when I put it in, then.

Is anyone else's Final Room Puzzle sense tingling?

It's showing...the dice.

I wonder what the puzzle is...

Well, there's only one way to find out!

Obviously, there are two possible ways of going about this, because there are always two ways of going about these.

The first is to refer back to our handy Bookmark, and line up some colours.

It's not much of a thing.

Good work, Sigma!

That was amazing!

The color's changed.

Do you think...?

Let's take a look!

Yeah. It's the password to the safe.

Hell yeah.

Unfortunately... that entirely reasonable puzzle solution only gets us the optional combination.

The solution for getting the required combination requires us to match
both the colour key and the number key we got off the music box cylinder. This is a weapons-grade motherfucker.

I mean, even if you have the nicety of being on the 3DS version and thus being able to have either (not both!) keys displayed on the top screen, you've still got to worry about the rather abstract spatial and numerical reasoning puzzle of getting each die into the required space with the right number facing up. This here panel represents a brick wall for a lot of players.

Except... what if it was actually not very hard at all?

Retry the puzzle enough times on Easy mode, and once Clover gets bored of reminding you about the bookmark and the cylinder, as though
those are the details you're struggling with, the game will break character and straight up tell you The Secret;

Retry once more, and they'll lay it all out;

And that's pretty much the ballgame; get some die set to the number you want, then finagle it on the X axis, then finagle it on the Y axis. There's enough room that this instantly becomes a nonproblem.

...of course, there remains the small issue that in order for this incredible piece of Actually Useful Advice to be received, a player needs to a) be playing on Easy Mode, which the game very aptly shames most people into not doing, and b) needs to repeatedly enter and exit the puzzle, which there isn't really a lot of reason to do if you don't know it gives you escalating hints when on Easy mode. The whole thing is a very nice little trick, but not really a great puzzle.

Anyway.

Excellent work!

Thanks Clover.

And that's it. That's the whole room. I dallied for like three months writing this poo poo up and it's only barely longer than some of the meatier plot updates. But hey, we've officially escaped the archives now.

Yeah. It's just like the ones I saw in the AB Room and the crew quarters.
If we enter the right password, it should open up. I think.

Good job, Sigma!

So, what've we got this time?
First...

A map.

It says "FLOOR B."

The one we found in the cabin said "FLOOR A."

(Localisation whoopsie! "Cabin" was the name for the Crew Quarters in the Japanese version.)

So did the map in the infirmary.

Then that means floor A must be the top floor, right?
We did come down here on the elevator, after all...

So it would seem.

There's more stuff in there.
Oh, I know what those are.

These ones have moons on them.

They must be the moon keys the announcer was talking about, then!

That means we can play the AB Game!

We got two, just like with the sun keys.

As a pair, Luna and I should only need one.

Then I'll take the other one.

So... What's next?

A piece of paper. It has something written on it...

"Not voting is not an hoption.
If both parties refuse to vote, then everybunny gets penalized!"
"In other words,
one person out of every color group of three has to vote."

In other words, we can't all abstain...
We have to vote...

A-Anyway, what else is there in the safe?

Only one thing...

...A key.

Is this the exit key?!

Looks like it.
We can open the door!

Let's go!

Hold yer' horses.

Ha! It opened!

Good good. Well done.

Now we go.

Go ahead!

I'm all set.

Then here we go.
Three... two... one!

And for our trouble, we of course have a fresh crop of Secret Files;

Antimatter Bomb:

Detonator:

Cybernetic Arm:

Luna's Necklace:

The Three Laws of Robotics:

The Zeroth Law:

Fedule fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Sep 10, 2017

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
gently caress that Dice puzzle. When I played I was convinced that the cylinder was part of the solution to escape rather than to the file. And then I had to look up how to get the escape password because the idea of following one and not the other literally didn't make sense in my head.

gently caress dice.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

This is back! :peanut:

Yeah, I played on Hard because, y'know, gotta get those Gold Files, and that dice puzzle was an absolute bitch.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

what an absurdly cryptic puzzle, no wonder it took you a few months

SMaster777
Dec 17, 2013

I wish this was my Smash main.

Head Hit Keyboard posted:

gently caress that Dice puzzle. When I played I was convinced that the cylinder was part of the solution to escape rather than to the file. And then I had to look up how to get the escape password because the idea of following one and not the other literally didn't make sense in my head.

gently caress dice.

This sentiment, I can fully agree with. I was playing VLR on my Vita via Nonary Games one day while I was with Dad waiting for his truck to get a repair. I spent 90% of the entire time on the dice.

gently caress dice.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Thanks for still doing this Fedule. :cheers:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

SatansBestBuddy posted:

what an absurdly cryptic puzzle, no wonder it took you a few months
I'm somewhere between :perfect: and :cripes:

Also, goddamn, I could feel the exhaustion at doing this room even when you know how to.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Edit:

Fedule posted:

I don't entirely disagree, but no.

Ok

BlazeEmblem fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Sep 4, 2017

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

Nice to see Kon still getting work after Bleach ended

quote:

gently caress dice.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Fedule posted:

If you put it in a snowball, you could get a little extra oomph.
:drat:

(For reference, 50g is a bit heavier than a C battery. Probably not likely to do any real damage, but still, drat, dude.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Sep 4, 2017

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

To make matters worse, while nowhere near as famous (or as save file threatening) as the PEC room crash, the Archives also have a tendency to occasionally freeze. It happened to me after I finally solved the stupid dice puzzle and so I had to restart and figure it out a second time. :geno:

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

BlazeEmblem posted:

Hey, Fedule, maybe

I don't entirely disagree, but no.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
You can do it.

You're almost there.

I believe in you.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
Welcome back Fedule! It's good to see you updating again :)

Man, that dice puzzle is just...not a puzzle. At least it seems more like just bashing your head into a wall than a puzzle, but there's a reason I'm not in a life or death game maze.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

The dice puzzle just seems like whatever to me? I mean yeah it's poorly designed as far as being an actual puzzle requiring critical thinking goes but manipulating die faces in a confined space like that doesn't strike me as something to bash your head over. I dunno, maybe it's just me.

Also something about the scale of the room really bothers me. The bookshelves and the books themselves appear way too large relative to their surroundings. I mean I guess they're all big, hulking encyclopedia-sized tomes and it would work that way but the way it looks when viewing the scene from afar makes it look like the door is barely 4 feet high, for example.

Finally, I take issue with them saying that these are just regular, ordinary dice when they pick them up. If you picked up a die that weighed 50g you will dang well know immediately that something is way off about it, much less 100g and 150g. For reference, 150g is roughly equivalent to a roll of pennies. :colbert:

JavaJesus
Jul 4, 2007

The big problem I had with the dice puzzle came from accidentally loving up the color+number solution (which I recall doing a lot because I'm bad at dice, I guess?). See, if you get all the colors right but somehow got at least one number wrong, then your colors are still right which means congratulations on getting the color-only password again. This means that due to "correctly" "solving" the puzzle and getting the old password again, you get to watch the whole process of receiving a password and then you get to go back into the puzzle which has completely started over.

Zakrelo
Dec 19, 2015
Those files seem interesting. The cybernetic arms one implies that if one of our cast has a fake arm(Not sure if any of them do, my brain wasn't built for remembering things half a year ago, which is when I re-read this LP), they still die if injected by the bracelet. Of course, that doesn't stop them from doing what Snake did in 999 and just smashing their arm so they can slide the bracelet off. Also, "Libido powered robot"? This is clearly foreshadowing that Sigma is a GAULEM. :v:

The 3 laws and 0th laws seem to imply that if one of our cast members are a robot/GAULEM, they would have to either be someone who hasn't taken any action to harm a human(Luna perhaps?), or that if have harmed someone, it was for the greater good. Of course, it could also be that GAULEMs don't follow the laws of robotics. I guess these files are here to make you wonder if they're foreshadowing or red herrings.

Also, glad to see this back!

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
That dice puzzle and the terrible goddamn parallelogram puzzle from the Director's office were the two points where I was like "how badly do I really want these gold files?" :argh:

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Glad to see this continue. The LP made me just buy and play through the game ages back, but it's nice to see stuff gone through again.

The dice puzzle, while doable for me just with fiddling about, seems a lot like the sliding tile puzzles (sometime called 15 Puzzle?) Where if you've played about enough to know the underlying ways of moving things (in the context the puzzle offers) it's fine, and if you never learned like me it's a huge road block. Or those drat sliding block puzzles the Layton games nearly always have to open an endgame door.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Yeah the Archives is weird because it's technically really short, but that dice puzzle is such a horrible puzzle. I disagree that's "not a puzzle", it's just one based on spatial reasoning or whatever. The problem is that's pretty difficult for a lot of people, through no fault of their own. Also it's frustrating trying to roll the dice around and get the correct face, with also the correct orientation for it, especially when you get some in place and don't want to mess with them.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
I dont even remember how I did it
Just that I didnt have access to the internet at the time
so pain was there to be had

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I don't remember how much trouble I had with the dice puzzle because I forgot about the dice puzzle completely until now.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Regy Rusty posted:

To make matters worse, while nowhere near as famous (or as save file threatening) as the PEC room crash, the Archives also have a tendency to occasionally freeze. It happened to me after I finally solved the stupid dice puzzle and so I had to restart and figure it out a second time. :geno:

Same thing happened to me. I was pissed.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

This is literally the only puzzle in the entire series that I just threw up my hand and looked at a walkthrough.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
There's more of that lion-sun stuff. Have we seen anything to explain that yet?

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Glazius posted:

There's more of that lion-sun stuff. Have we seen anything to explain that yet?

Memento mori, if the nineth lion ate the sun

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Zero Escape: Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

I don't remember how the hell I trial and error'ed my way through that dice puzzle, but it made me want to throw the 3DS across the room.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
I don't remember the dice puzzle giving me any grief, but I'm also used to spatial reasoning puzzles like that one.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008
In case anyone had trouble moving the dice around on a small screen with the stylus, the Steam version lets you select a die and move it around with the arrow keys.

Sai-kun
Feb 6, 2011

Is it ever going to be enough, to love another and be loved?
I just read every update via the first post and never bothered to check the dates of posts until just now.

What. The. Fuuuuuuckkkkkk okay I guess I'm plopping my rear end down in this thread for updates n poo poo :unsmigghh:

More on topic about the game, I know jack poo poo about this series so I read the suggested 999 LP before diving into this one, and both have been great. This is definitely not my type of game in terms of gameplay, but the story has been awesome, so thanks for keeping this alive and running, Fed!

also gently caress dio :rip: shithead

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Maybe he keeps stopping time in the thread? :j:

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

VLR OST: [Anxiousness]

Listen in: [English/Japanese]

Is this another warehouse?

It looks like it.

Just like the one on floor A...

It's something different, though...

Did...did they make a mistake? That isn't how you spell it...
They added that "e" to "ninth," but why?

Yeah... That is weird.

What does it mean?

Well, I think "memento mori" is Latin for something like "remember death" or "don't forget your mortality."
That other part, I mean, I assume it's just what it says on the tin.

A conditional relating to whether or not a lion has eaten the sun?

Uh...yeah.

But what on Earth does that mean?
It just seems like gibberish.

Agreed. Whatever it means is beyond me.

Doesn't it look just like the one on the other floor?

Yeah. There's a big "9" on the other door.
I guess that means this door isn't important.

I don't see anything that looks like it might open it either.

...Yup. Nothing. Not opening.

Of course it isn't.
I mean look at this thing... It's solid steel.

Well how do you open it, then?

From the other side, maybe...?

The other side?

Do you think they could be Chromatic Doors?
There are three of them...

Hm... Yeah, I think you're right.

These must be the next set of Chromatic Doors we're supposed to go through.

But...they're all the same color.

Well...
For all the other doors, we had to add colors together to make another color.
In this case, we probably just have to make white instead.

[Music fades out]

Suddenly, the voice of the announcer echoed through the warehouse.

Forty-five minutes remain until Ambidex Game polling closes.

VLR OST: [Strain]

What?! How the hell did that happen!?

Someone on one of the other teams must have opened one!
All they'd need is one of the moon keys...

Wh-Why would they do that without waiting for the rest of us?!

We can ask them when we get there!
Come on!

Several hours maybe thirty continuous seconds of bloop bloop bleeping, door opening animations and elevator sounds later, we emerge into a slightly different take on a scene we've already seen:

We leapt out of the magenta door and into the warehouse.
There stood Tenmyouji, Dio, and Alice.

Why'd you open one of the AB Rooms before the rest of us got back?!

Listen in: [English/Japanese]

Alice and I haven't done anything.

Dio apparently felt he didn't need to wait.

Yes! Yes I do have a problem!

Why?
I don't remember saying anything about waiting until everyone got back to open the AB Rooms.

Are you kidding me?! We didn't talk about it because we thought it was common sense!

Sigma's right.
We were able to get back quickly, but...
The others could still be stuck somewhere!

No sooner were the words out of her mouth...

Did something happen...?

Yes... It's Quark, you see. He...

What?
What happened to Quark!?

He collapsed.
It happened so suddenly. We were just searching our room...

Wh-What?!

Please, you must hurry to the infirmary!
His condition could change at any moment.
You should go...

Oh no...

Tenmyouji shoved K aside and leapt through the yellow door.
The rest of us exchanged a few startled looks, then ran off after him.

From here, we enter into a straight-up repeat.

Luna uses the infirmary equipment and diagnoses Quark with Radical-6 infection. She reveals that the Axelavir treatment exists but there isn't any to hand. The scene plays out identically to its equivalent in the adjacent route, with only the room names altered (K, Quark and Phi went to the B. Garden, and Dio, Tenmyouji and Alice to the Pantry).

Quark attempts suicide, spouting nonsense about the soul and the body, and is sedated.

As everyone is absorbing all this...

It becomes apparent that Alice is also infected. She runs off with a scalpel. The group splits up to look for her.

The following scenes are
technically new but are functionally repeats of the same search as before but in different rooms, and have no voice acting, so I'm gonna go ahead and heavily truncate them.

VLR OST: [Sinisterness]

Sigma searches the lounge, then heads up to floor B.

Nothing comes of this.

Sigma checks the crew quarters...

999 OST: [Trepidation]

The first thing I saw when I stepped through the door was the blossom of red on her chest.

It was almost like getting punched.
I stopped short, my body refusing to move.

No...
Why did this happen...?

I forced one shaking foot forward, then the next.
My legs began to wobble, and I put a hand against the wall to steady myself as my heart thundered in my chest.

(Calm down... Calm down...)
(This looks pretty bad, but you don't actually know anything yet...)
(Yeah, that's right...)
(Maybe it's not too late!)
(Maybe we can still save her!)

Then at last I pressed my fingers to her neck, and those hopes were dashed.

No pulse. Clearly she wasn't breathing either.
Her pupils had dilated hideously, making her face seem somehow inhuman.

No...

Embedded in her chest was a scalpel. I was no doctor, but judging by the angle it looked like it had pierced her heart.
Had someone stabbed her...?
No...
What if she...

No...
No...

Something in my brain snapped.

A scream clawed its way out of my body, taking my mind with it.
The last thing I felt was my body slumping to the floor as the world went dark.

When I came to, I was floating in a field of nothingness.

Welp.

Well, that wasn't very helpful, was it?

We're racking up time at any rate though.

Okay, I guess we're going to have to revisit some nodes lower down the fl-

-wait.

Oh, come on.

Yes, this here is a plot lock that unlocks itself.

Alright. Let's try that again...

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
So do you just have to go there first to progress or do you like not have the option the first go through?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

So do you just have to go there first to progress or do you like not have the option the first go through?

If I remember right, the bad end is required to unlock it. Fedule didn't skip over picking the right answer or anything.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
A plot lock which unlocks itself seems pointless. Why not just have Sigma go to the Crew Quarters immediately?'

Also this thread being back reminded me that I have a guess about the user name or password for the computer in the directors office to go with the other half which K gave us. I don't know if it's right or not, but it feels right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

The first go through Sigma just automatically searches through all the wrong rooms with no input.

• Locked thread