Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Kangra posted:

Even before she turned up dead I thought there was a possibility that Luna is an android.

Umbilical Lotus posted:

Out of all the people I suspect to be secret robots, Luna's at the top of the list.

Kay Kessler posted:

I think this proves that Luna's not some kind of android.

This has been under discussion for a very, very long time.

Oh, and I spotted something else that amused me when we were talking about the alternate outcome of the previous ending, where Sigma betrayed Dio and the vial of Axelavir got smashed:

Kgummy posted:

Oh Dio, if you hadn't smashed that vial, you could still have made it out.

Actually no you wouldn't have, after you pulled this crap no one would ally when going against you ever again.

Now you're just trapped in a building of people who blame you for K getting out. After all, K wouldn't leave if the cure was still intact.

Or at least shouldn't do so.

And we all saw how that turned out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

irlZaphod posted:

I truly hate that in the previous ending we saw, you get the ID card with "PASS JUMPYDOLL" written on it, and it's not used here.

I still forget if there's even any hints about what username/password to use for this computer.

In addition to what the others have said you gotta think about whose account and password each of these must be.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
12345? That's the same combination I use on my luggage!

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Regy Rusty posted:

In addition to what the others have said you gotta think about whose account and password each of these must be.

I don't recall us seeing a second computer which wants a password. I guess it might be in the third White Door which we haven't visited yet though.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Fedule posted:

Previously on this route: uhhhhh man where do we even loving start with this? Here's something; everybody except Sigma and Phi is dead. Alice got Radical-6 and stabbed herself because that's apparently a cosmic constant, but Clover belives Luna did it. Luna was injected with tubocuarine under suspicious circumstances; our heroes suspect Clover did it. Clover was herself killed along with Tenmyouji in the infirmary; Clover left the mysterious dying message "016" on her inner thigh, though. Quark is missing, but his bracelet was found on Temyouji, suggesting nothing good. Dio and K were found dead in the Rec Room, and it seems K thought Dio did everything. Someone, somehow has opened an AB gate - Sigma and Phi think it's Quark - but then we had to stop because Sigma [/i]really[i] wanted to investigate a computer in the Director's Office but didn't know the login. All throughout this route, we've teamed up with Luna and faced her in the AB Game, and she has allied every time. She openly trusts Sigma, and you, thread, evidently came to trust her too, even before we went on to see her never once pick Betray in every other game in the flowchart that we've seen.

The last time we were on this route was August 28, 2013. We finally continued it today, on December 19, 2017.

This recap was absolutely necessary.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Bleep bloop, Luna's a robot.

That aside, I really love the Sigma and Phi dynamic. After a whole game of Junpei and Akane flirting with each other in the most awkward way despite not having seen each other in over a decade, it's nice having two characters bouncing off of each other in a more organic way.

And yeah, if you cheat/have played the game before, you can do Luna's route first and immediately put in the username and password without hitting a single plot lock.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Dec 20, 2017

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Bleep bloop, Luna's a robot.

That aside, I really love the Sigma and Phi dynamic. After a whole game of Junpei and Akane flirting with each other in the most awkward way despite not having seen each other in over a decade, it's nice having two characters bouncing off of each other in a more organic way.

Still on the "Phi is Sigma's daughter" train and recent revelations have only made that more likely!

Sai-kun
Feb 6, 2011

Is it ever going to be enough, to love another and be loved?
oh my god shes a fuckin robot

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Sai-kun posted:

oh my god shes a fuckin robot
What kind of idiot would make a robot you can't gently caress?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Luna is the best robot.

Leraika posted:

They're explicit about where to use the passwords for this computer when you're given them, yeah.

e: beaten to it
I think the first gate/second gate stuff threw me off, I thought maybe they were individual passwords to doors or something. I was keeping notes with passwords etc, but I didn't record the "if you encounter the two-headed lion" part, and not having that bit of info related to them didn't help.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Luna's neck sure looks long and thin in that profile drawing.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
honestly I would have been disappointed if she hadnt been the robot

especially considering I hadnt gotten her ending yet

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
It’s now safe to point that this is one of the (impressively few) points where the plot cheats.

From Clover’s ending in 2015:

Yep, that’s Luna killed with a knife and bleeding red. There are assorted weird explanations for this involving her playing dead and smearing herself with blood (!) but it’s basically just to avoid the early reveal.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

hyphz posted:

Yep, that’s Luna killed with a knife and bleeding red.

I always just wrote that off as being a result of Sigma's encroaching insanity

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

hyphz posted:

It’s now safe to point that this is one of the (impressively few) points where the plot cheats.

From Clover’s ending in 2015:

Yep, that’s Luna killed with a knife and bleeding red. There are assorted weird explanations for this involving her playing dead and smearing herself with blood (!) but it’s basically just to avoid the early reveal.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I think that was the explanation for how Ace died in one of the 999 endings when he shouldn't have

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

DeathChicken posted:

I think that was the explanation for how Ace died in one of the 999 endings when he shouldn't have

Submarine Ending, yes.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

DeathChicken posted:

Yes, in the sub ending it seems like everyone is dead except Junpei, but then he gets stabbed in the back. With later context it's clear that Ace stabbed everyone else and was just pretending to be dead.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

You know, for the attempt at sympathy they try for him in the True Ending when he explains his motivation, Ace sure is an amoral, psychotic monster.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

You know, for the attempt at sympathy they try for him in the True Ending when he explains his motivation, Ace sure is an amoral, psychotic monster.

Yeah, but even in game everyone's all COOL MOTIVE STILL MURDER, so it's not like the game itself treats him sympathetically.

beru04
May 4, 2013

Stop making me realise things.

Leraika posted:

Yeah, but even in game everyone's all COOL MOTIVE STILL MURDER, so it's not like the game itself treats him sympathetically.

Pretty much.

Potusandrew
May 29, 2013
I never really understood how people were able to figure out that Luna was an android. I haven't played the game so I've just been following along and even if it has been a while since I looked at the first parts, I never came to the conclusion myself

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
process of elimination
though I still wondered if it was Phi, but that seemed too obvious

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Potusandrew posted:

I never really understood how people were able to figure out that Luna was an android. I haven't played the game so I've just been following along and even if it has been a while since I looked at the first parts, I never came to the conclusion myself

I think the idea got most of its serious consideration at about the time we learned K's backstory, which had him raised in this facility with a robot guardian who was programmed to be nice and to get sad if K ignored her.

By the time we got to that point, it was clear that:
  • Luna's backstory remained a complete cipher
  • She has a medical license, but is not a doctor or nurse
  • the Gaulem Bay was only visited on Luna's path (and K's ending, but it was already open)
  • we also knew at that time that the Magenta-ally-then-betray-Luna path, and allying then betraying Luna led to "Game Over: Luna", but the only alternate branch led this path, where Luna was already dead by injection.
  • Since Game Over: Character and Character.EXE endings are paired, and everyone else in this path except Quark is definitely dead, there's no one left to give Luna any context for "Luna.EXE".

All of those things together made Luna a high-probability candidate to be a Gaulem.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

999 OST: [Chill and Rigor]

Listen in: [English/Japanese]

Luna...

Yeah...

Why's there a picture of Luna in this file?

There's something written underneath it...
It says "Appearance after application of ABT."

ABT... ABT...

When a GAULEM's all new and shiny, they've got on a nice suit of ABT over that metal skeleton.

Even feels like real skin, with pores, a little bit of hair, and a few pimples, scars, and the like.
Truth to tell, I doubt you'd be able to tell the real from the fake even if it was right in front of you.
See, right in the middle of—

Luna was a GAULEM...
And "DM-L-016" was her product ID...

That must have been what G-OLM was trying to tell us when he was...stopped.

Hmm...

But...why?
Why would Luna be in the game?

Hm... I don't know how autonomous she really is, but I find it hard to believe she would have come here of her own free will.

So you're saying she was sent here by Zero Sr.

Probably.

Look. At the bottom of the screen it shows her current status.

You think her "special mission" is to participate in the game?

Probably.

So why did Zero Sr. want a robot as a participant?

You think maybe it was to supervise the rest of us?
Maybe if something unexpected happened, she was supposed to...correct it or something?

What if it was some kind of Voight-Kampff test...

A what?

It's from an old book. A test to see how human she was—whether or not eight people would be able to figure out she was a robot.
That might almost explain the whole game, actually.
Making us solve puzzles and play the AB Game...
All of those things could have been designed to give us a chance to see her true nature.

So it's kind of like the Chinese room.

Yeah.
Luna is the girl locked in the room...

And the eight of us are the people outside it.

Hmmm...

Well, like I always say...

It's just a possibility, right?

Looks like a person, acts like a person, and talks like a person, then it's probably a person.

That she was a GAULEM, I mean.

Right now. I didn't know until I saw this stuff.

You're lying.
When I told you about what happened with G-OLM in the pantry, you said something about how this game might be sort of like the Chinese room.

I don't know why I said that.

It just...felt like it made sense.

Like you just knew it?

...Yeah.

Look, forget about that.
See Luna's status?

Yeah, it says the same thing it did a minute ago.
"Currently operational" "Executing special mission."

Luna's de—

You think robots die?

She was only injected with muscle relaxant...

[Music fades out]

All players please enter your votes.
If no vote is recorded before the deadline has passed, any non-voting parties will automatically ally.

VLR OST: [Strain]

Of course!
Luna's the one who opened the AB Gate!

That might not be the only thing she did. Look...

What do you mean?

What are the last three digits of her product ID?

And where have we see that before?

No... No, I don't believe it...
Are you saying it was Luna who handcuffed Clover and Tenmyouji?!

You remember where it is?

The crew quarters, of course I remember!

The game forgoes the bleepbloops here. Thanks game!

We were right...

Yeah...

Why... Why would Luna...?

Let's go.
The game hasn't stopped.
If we don't vote, we're going to get penalized.

Right. Off we go, then.

RelentlessImp
Mar 15, 2011
:psyduck: Where the hell else is this game going to go, it's even more batshit than 999 was.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

RelentlessImp posted:

:psyduck: Where the hell else is this game going to go, it's even more batshit than 999 was.

:getin:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

RelentlessImp posted:

There's no getting off Zero III's wild ride.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Hey man I know nobody's probably checked the OP since 2013 but I did warn you;

Fedule posted:

Actually, now I think about it, "Moreso" is pretty much VLR in a word. There's more of everything. More puzzles. More choices. Waaaaay more endings. Tons more pseudoscience. More mindfucks. More. More. Mooooore!

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

And no matter the timeline, the universe will make doubly loving certain that Alice is dead

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Lol who even reads OPs

(We love you Fedule)

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
The Luna handcuffed Ten and Clover theory is interesting, but it does rely on Luna waking up, introducing herself by her code designation, and Clover deciding to use her strength to write 016 instead of something that other people would know, like "lun". But the current theory is that she wrote dio backwards for some reason, so...

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Maybe she just really loves Pidgey.

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
I wasn't even aware this thread had an OP. I just assumed it's always been going and will never end.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Well, that was a pretty complicated lock to unlock. It makes sense that there's a big twist behind it.

Man, I can't wait to see what disarming all the bombs does for us.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Glazius posted:

Well, that was a pretty complicated lock to unlock. It makes sense that there's a big twist behind it.

Man, I can't wait to see what disarming all the bombs does for us.

I am guessing the true ending is somewhere down that line.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Congratulations! You're winner!

Sai-kun
Feb 6, 2011

Is it ever going to be enough, to love another and be loved?
this whole story (and 999's) is the dramatic video game equivalent of :getin: and i can't loving get enough.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

So, taking the piss out of a lime huh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Sai-kun posted:

this whole story (and 999's) is the dramatic video game equivalent of :getin: and i can't loving get enough.

Yea, don’t forget the same author wrote Remember 11, the one where it turns out that the characters know you exist and are setting up a super confusing mystery to trap you because from their POV you are a scary demon who spies on them and takes over their minds at critical points. (spoiler is nothing to do with the Zero Escape series)

• Locked thread