Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

PMush Perfect posted:

I'd be crying too but I am a damaged human being and unable to express my emotions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Oh good, I can post this orchestral cover of Blue Bird Lamentation now.

Polsy version, don't worry.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Boy, I forgot about this ending. I really should've replayed VLR as a refresher when ZTD came out so stuff like this was more in my mind.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
Luna deserves better.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

Luna is a good robot who didn’t deserve this. :(

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Hmmmm... so unless I'm missing something, are we just down to the Phi path now?

All that's left is to continue Phi's path and see the ending where we betray Luna. I think there are a couple of bad endings we didn't cover, but nothing very significant.

On my first playthrough of this game, I just skipped going back and betraying here. I just couldn't do that to Luna.

Also, I'm pretty sure this ending is why the campaign to get the third game made was called "Project Blue Bird".

BlazeEmblem fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jan 17, 2018

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

So there's why Zero Jr. vanished. Luna pulled the plug on that good fur nothing.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
I can safely say this was an emotional high point for me

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

:argh:

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

DeathChicken posted:

So there's why Zero Jr. vanished. Luna pulled the plug on that good fur nothing.

Hmm, doesn't seem likely. Zero III has a big goodbye scene after (pretending that he's) running out of tutorials to give.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Spatula City posted:

I thought the Luna dialogue was implying Luna has a thing for Sigma. :3:

I had to bookmark this because it was so perfect. It may be a bit of a leap to claim that it's true, given that she's a machine, but I like to think this was the case all along.

Then again, the same person also said this of the very timeline we just witnessed, before getting past the password lock:

Spatula City posted:

welp, this is the gently caress YOU YOU DON'T DESERVE ANY ANSWERS path. Just more and more questions piling up with no resolution to any of it.
And then an Ambidex Gate opening implies someone else is still alive. Which means either Quark or K (having shed his suit and made it look like he was dead). Quark is looking likely to be dead, though, given the bracelet. That or PARADOX VANISHED in a manner similar to June, which would be an insane theory in pretty much any other game, but within the context of this series is totally plausible. Given that this ending seems to be as bleak as the submarine ending in 999, it seems likely now that Phi and Sigma will get got without getting any answers. Congratulations VLR, you have succeeded in totally confusing me.

Life is full of ups and downs.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Something I just remembered from K's route:

Fedule posted:

Soon I found myself longing for a mother of my own. Someone who would always be with me, who would scold me if I did something wrong. At night they would read to me before bedtime. If only I had a mother like that, I thought, I would be so happy.

So, for the first time in my life, I asked my father for something. He had finished working and, as usual, was making his way toward his bedroom when I stopped him and asked for a mother.

He looked at me silently for a long moment before finally responding: "Okay." I remember to this day how happy I was at that moment.

A few months later, he called me into his laboratory. It was the first time he'd ever done anything like that. My heart was beating quickly as I stepped inside.

Standing next to him was a young woman, and my hopes soared.

But when he said her name—or rather, her ID number—they were dashed.

He had given me a robot to play the part of a mother. I didn't want a mother that was just a machine who did what a human told her to.
When I told my father that, he looked surprised for the first time in my life.

Then he frowned, coughed, and admonished me for being "a whiner." He'd never scolded me for anything before. At first I was surprised, then angry. Hot tears streamed down my face.

My father ordered the robot to take care of me, and shooed us out of his lab.

The robot was very convincing, and she smiled and spoke as if she was a real person, but I refused to answer her and locked myself in my room.

You can talk to a robot, and it will respond... But in the end you're still talking to a machine, not a person. If that was what I'd wanted, I still had the education software my father had given me.

When I ignored the robot as it tried to take care of me, it looked sad. It couldn't really be sad, of course: It was only programmed to look that way. A robot's facade of sadness didn't mean anything to me.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
If you put a Chinese room inside another Chinese room, inside another, how many instances does it take before it stops being sad when she dies?

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Kerning Chameleon posted:

Yeah I believe most of us pegged the robot mother as Luna immediately, though I may just be projecting my own thoughts to everyone else in this case.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

And even when we get a shot of Sigma here, we're only seeing his arms, which we've learned are prosthetics. Luna calls him "Doctor", people keep calling him old... Are we not going to get a shot of his goddamn face until the final ending or something?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Super Jay Mann posted:

Yeah I believe most of us pegged the robot mother as Luna immediately, though I may just be projecting my own thoughts to everyone else in this case.

No, you're not alone, I think about then is when most of the thread speculation was strongly in favor of Luna being the GAULEM.

Zereth posted:

And even when we get a shot of Sigma here, we're only seeing his arms, which we've learned are prosthetics. Luna calls him "Doctor", people keep calling him old... Are we not going to get a shot of his goddamn face until the final ending or something?

Yes, almost certainly past the point of any plot locks. Sigma is almost certainly Zero by process of elimination, just with some kind of memory wipe or replacement.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

We all want to shoot Sigma in the face but that's no reason for such language.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Kerning Chameleon posted:

And yet K didn't feel the need to point out this robot looked like, I dunno...Luna

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

DeathChicken posted:

And yet K didn't feel the need to point out this robot looked like, I dunno...Luna

Maybe she didn't. Her face is artificial. Who's to say that she didn't look completely different previously?

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Well Sigma, your master plan to get trapped in a bunker with a cutie redhead has failed, bet you feel dumb now!

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Fellis posted:

Well Sigma, your master plan to get trapped in a bunker with a cutie redhead has failed, bet you feel dumb now!

Hahaha.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
well, if first you don't succeed...

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Unsurprisingly, the final ending is the one person in the game who has never given us a straight answer about a single god drat thing.

Habnabit
Dec 30, 2007

lift your skinny fists like
antennas in germany.

well that's some spoilers thanks

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Habnabit posted:

He means the vote we literally just made. This was the 'good' ending so, logically, the other one must be bad.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Betraying Luna is never a good ending.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Fedule posted:

I wrapped my arms around Luna and hugged her as tight as I could.

:same:

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Bruceski posted:

Betraying Luna is never a good ending.

Well, to be fair, it was one of the required steps to finding out that Dio was the bomber.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

Habnabit posted:

I'd hope people are capable of pattern recognition by now.

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Habnabit posted:

Don't worry, I removed the logical conclusion by removing the word "bad".

Does that work for you?

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Still reading the LP blind to any of VLR's plot twists, mostly just checking every six months or so to keep up to date.

So, uh... last read this thread when Sigma was bleeding white, only it turned out he had fake arms, which he then used in another timeline to not die, which got us a password into this timeline and finally, finally some answers out of Luna aaaaaand she's dead. Oh and a bunch of little reveals along the way. (foil, sure, why not)

So can I play Zero Time Dilemma now? I held off on that cause I heard it spoiled VLR, and given how VLR spoiled 999 rather spectacularly I figured due caution was warranted.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
No.

suddenly cats
Nov 16, 2006

Cats do not abide by the laws of nature, alright? You don't know shit about cats.
^^^ What they said. There's stuff yet to come in here that is definitely spoiled in ZTD.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

SatansBestBuddy posted:

So can I play Zero Time Dilemma now? I held off on that cause I heard it spoiled VLR, and given how VLR spoiled 999 rather spectacularly I figured due caution was warranted.

No. It spoils the final ending, which hasn't been reached yet.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
So, the exact same kind of spoiler that VLR did to 999. Great.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Yeah, VLR's plot is extremely backloaded. Even after all this time you could argue that we have only scratched the surface of the "main" plot.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
BTW can I just slide back in here to note that nothing BlazeEmblem said was really a spoiler in any sense I care about at this point. K. Thanks.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Habnabit posted:

Fight!

PMush Perfect posted:

He means the vote we literally just made. This was the 'good' ending so, logically, the other one must be bad.
First blood!

Cyouni posted:

I'd hope people are capable of pattern recognition by now.
Combo!

BlazeEmblem posted:

Don't worry, I removed the logical conclusion by removing the word "bad".

Does that work for you?
Finish him!

Fedule posted:

BTW can I just slide back in here to note that nothing BlazeEmblem said was really a spoiler in any sense I care about at this point. K. Thanks.
Fatality!

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Forty hours of visual novel across seventeen and a bit alternate histories have been spent setting up Luna's inevitable heel turn and we are NOT falling for it.

Round three of the Ambidex Game has been completed.
Results will be displayed in the warehouse.
Thank you for your participation.
Ambidex Gates now opening.

VLR OST: [Eeriness]

I leapt out of the door and ran toward the AB Room I thought she'd entered.
But...

Listen in: [English/Japanese]

That's odd... We came out the moment the gates opened.
There's no way she could have left already...

Then...

No... She didn't take it?!

Why would she show up just when we're about to vote?!
There was no reason for her to come here if she was just going to default...

Results from round three of the Ambidex Game will now be displayed.
Please direct your attention to the results screen.

R-Right! The results!

Yeah, let's go have a look.

[Music fades out]

Points have been assigned or subtracted accordingly.
Please check your bracelet to see your updated Bracelet Points.

...Huh.

...:toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
WE HAVE FINALLY GONE BEYOND NUMBER 9!

oh my god it's so expansive, so expressive, so magnificent with the simple addition of another digit

(yes I remember Quark hitting 11 earlier but IIRC he was in a coma and couldn't enjoy THE NUMBERS)

• Locked thread