Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jakedust
Sep 24, 2017

Did we see the image with the two hands before? I'm not sure I remember the "skeletal" hand on the right.

Fedule posted:

By the way, sorry this took so long. There was, uh, a lot to write up.

Does that mean the next updates are coming soon or it's just my optimism speaking? :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

jakedust posted:

Did we see the image with the two hands before? I'm not sure I remember the "skeletal" hand on the right.

It was a long time back but it was in this update.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

jakedust posted:

It was back when Sigma was wondering why Alice's vote changed and compared it to a game of rock, paper, scissors.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Fedule posted:

Oh that one's all on the game. Jumpstart is the name of the very first node on the chart, where Sigma wakes up in the AB Room. It's just that, you can be forgiven for never realizing that, because there's no reason to ever jump to it again, and although sometimes the game kind of default-jumps you to there when there's nothing else for it to do (eg, you automatically jump there after any ending, but the game immediately opens the flowchart so you can jump somewhere else) the name doesn't really get splashed to your screen at any point.
That just makes it even better. :allears:

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

...Ow... Ow ow ow ow ow...!
Damnit... Feels like my head's gonna explode...
...Wait.

VLR OST: [Sinisterness]

Looks like an elevator, but...

Listen in: [English/Japanese]

No. This is one of the AB Rooms.

And what the hell's an AB Room?

I guess you did lose your memory after all.

Memory...?

Memory...

[Music fades out]

VLR OST: [Consternation]

She grinned.

Check your bracelet.

BP is 3...

Does this mean this is the beginning of the game? We've gone back to when we first woke up in the AB Room?

I think we woke up a little earlier this time.

How do you know?

Push the buttons on the side of your bracelet.

I think we're about an hour early.

Wait a minute... If you're right...

Yeah.
Akane might still be alive.
We got back before Dio killed her. I think.

Then...

Right. We're here for one reason.

To stop her from getting killed.

Exactly.

Let's move! We need to get out of here, fast!

Don't need to tell me twice.

Let's go!

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
:f5:

I don't remember anything about this escape room.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I mean, technically, you do.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Waffleman_ posted:

I mean, technically, you do.

Wait, what are you talki-

:aaaaa:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Hmm, so I decided to take a look at the first escape room update and see if there was anything that popped up as noteworthy in hindsight. Only thing I can see is this:

Fedule posted:

Moving on...

What do you think this means?

Hell if I know.
It's just a bunch of pictures of... babies and old people.
Why don't you see if you can get it off the wall?

The solution to this puzzle was that there were 4 "babies" and 7 "old people" in the picture. That adds up to 11 people. And whaddaya know, if you add the Nonary game participants along with Akane and Zero, you also get 11 people :thunk:

Yeah it's a stretch, but this is definitely the type of nonsense I'd expect from these games. If we take the obvious conclusion that Akane and Zero are both "old", then there's 5 old farts and 4 "babies" among the participants. Of course from here I'm not even sure what that information is supposed to imply, whether it be using physical age, "actual" age, or some other time-based factor to delineate the participants. We still aren't even precisely sure when this game is taking place!

Oh well, that's my two cents. Feel free to speculate on how I'm completely wrong about this, it wouldn't be the first time. :v:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Someone forgot to add Zero III and G-OLM. There should be 13!

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Looking at my own posts in the thread to come up with ideas:

zonohedron posted:

Onmi posted:

Just speculating, but Sigma and Phi can jump through time. In 999 the Nonary game was to solve the crisis of the young Akane, not the current Akane, so maybe it's the same thing? This Nonary Game is to stop the Myrmidons by training Sigma and Phi to jump back in time.
That would explain why Dio is there: to stop whoever Zero is training from stopping the Myrmidons. So we have to stop Dio from stopping Sigma (or Sigma and Phi) from stopping the Myrmidons, and make sure no one stops us from stopping Dio... okay I'll stop :v:

I do not blame myself for not remembering this because that was 2015.

It seems like that's the idea, though: we had to stop Dio from blowing everybody up (accomplished, I think), and now we have to stop him from killing Akane (probably), and I'm guessing after that we have to... er... something. I can't imagine we have to go all the way back to before whatever societal collapse resulted in root beer being a rare and expensive treat. That'd be weird for Quark and Tenmyouji, who lived through that, right?

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005
Akane and quark both seem to have issues with disappearing, maybe that's got something to do with it

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

It looks like we're going to be escaping the Elevator AB Room for the second time! I mean... the first time. I mean... you know what I mean.

VLR OST: [Ambidexterity]

Here's a nice familiar tune.

Okay, how did this one go again?

Oh, I think we needed that poster...

This is our past, remember?

That means we're just repeating history.

You see what I'm getting at?

The password for the safe should be the same one we got earlier?

Exactly! Now hurry up and open it!

Okay, but at least--

Right now I'm leaning toward idiot!
The password for the safe is—

Right, right, the same password it was when we did it the first time.

Then hurry up!

Fine.

We figured it out last time.

Jesus christ, game, we get it.

I think I've mentioned before that safe passwords are generated when you start a new game and remain fixed after that. That's how you can cheat at rooms, if you want to do that for some reason. I mean, like, other than the fact that Sigma can
canonically cheat at rooms himself, anyway, as we are literally doing right now.

Anyway, all this stuff is still in our Archives, so we can just go bring up the password and get rolling.

Okay, it's...

No! That's the wrong password!
We need the other one to get the key!

Oh. Whoops.

Hang on... how come there's no Gold File in here? We haven't gotten it yet... have we created a time paradox? :ohdear:

Good work!

Hurry up and grab the cracker!

...Cracker?

Aah! drat, I meant key!

How the hell...?

Just shut up and do it!

I think I remember something about the fire extinguisher though--

We have the key, open the door!

No, just let me--

Can you even hear me?!

Okay, fine.

For God's sake, just do it already!

No need to yell.
All right!

Good. Looks like that worked.

What do you think...?

I know, I know. I don't need to ask every time, right?

Then why the hell are you asking?! Hurry up and—

Right! Right! I'm going, I'm going!
Ten! Nine! Eight!

One! Done!

Bite me! You were taking too long.
We're on a schedule here!

Ugh...

Since we didn't get a File this time, I figured this might be a good time to complain a bit more about how the secret files sometimes just straight up spoil things for no good reason, and sometimes are just complete garbage.

Here's one from the Laboratory:

JUMPYDOLL:

Why would you do this? As it happens, the "official" reveal of what we now know this refers to isn't very far ahead of this file in the route involved, but between then and it sits a plot lock you probably won't get past until quite late in the game. This thing is a giant glaring klaxon and a flashing sign that reads "HEY GUYS AKANE IS IN THIS GAME", at a time when there's absolutely no reason to start someone suspecting that, and worse, the file doesn't even really impart any interesting advice or knowledge.

This is actually a favourite trick of the game; to directly refer to events that are going to happen later in some route by giving you a secret file earlier in the route that talks about it. But it just seems like instead of nice foreshadowing and flavour they just... spoil things.

On which note, these two files came from Q:

Tenmyouji and Alice:

Tenmyouji and Clover:

This, on the other hand, is more like what I feel the secret files ought to have been in the first place - an opportunity to look back on times where big reveals were foreshadowed, and clarify things. Most people will probably have forgotten stuff like Clover and Tenmyouji's occasional asides that neither of them comment upon. And it's also a good chance to do things like expound on people's reasons for unexpectedly picking Ally or Betray in past AB Games. Alas that these two jump the gun just slightly; Q is the last chance the game has to hand you a file, but it also comes right before this particular reveal is made really blatant.

Alas also at the lack of proofreading. "The the" aside, what the hell is a purple door? I think this is supposed to refer to one of the Magenta/Green paths.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Hardest escape room ever.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Gotta love a game where the solution to a puzzle room is "I don't wanna deal with this right now, go look it up."

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I remember when I got here on my own playthrough, I actually started to try to solve the puzzle again like normal and then had an "... Oh, right. Duh," moment when Phi started berating me for it. :allears:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

I was actually thinking before this update about how it would make sense in the timeline to solve the same puzzle twice but of course, you were never supposed to solve it the first time in the first place. Or something.

Temporal phrasing gets really weird when time travel is involved.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Okay but what about Sigma's oven? :ohdear:

SimplyUnknown1
Aug 18, 2017

Cat Cat Cat
Collapses I discovered this thread literally 2 days ago and finally reached the end! I'm kind of glad that I arrived at this point because I have played this game before and I don't really have to worry about spoiling.

However, there is something that I do want to bring up. When I first played the game, I had no idea it was the second in a trilogy. I had never heard of 999. So I went into this game completely blind. The story was great and I really enjoyed playing, but there were a few reveals that didn't really matter to me, such as with Tenmyoji with Akane's picture. I honestly thought it was character background, not earlier game background.

Anyways, my question is this; how many people played 999 before VLR, and do you feel that colored your playthrough more than it would have if you'd gone in blind like I did?

Also, great job with this playthrough, Fedule! Congrats on making it this far!

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
I did everything in 999 very thoroughly before VLR came out, because it took me well over a dozen playthroughs to find the Safe Ending, so I was well prepared for timeline shenanigans. The first route I took in this one was allying with Tenmyouji twice, and when I hit the plot lock and had to go revise one of my choices, I decided to Betray at my first opportunity, since that seemed like the "good" route. Hence, I discovered this game's central gimmick with my very first time jump. I think the game plays out pretty differently when you've seen that before doing much of anything significant. I also recognized the characters I was meant to recognize, as little as that ultimately seemed to matter, and I think I'd forgotten most of the finer details of 999 before I got to the endings where they're relevant.

I think the biggest thing you bring in if you played the original 999, at least, is a strong sense of relief at having a flowchart and not having to replay the story from the beginning every time. I can see people new to this game finding the story flow rather frustrating without that point of comparison.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Nidoking posted:

it took me well over a dozen playthroughs to find the Safe Ending
I'm about to blow your mind. Remember how, the first time you got an ending, the game unlocked the first trailer?

The trailer flashed the numbers of the right doors.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

PMush Perfect posted:

I'm about to blow your mind. Remember how, the first time you got an ending, the game unlocked the first trailer?

Believe me, this has been pointed out to me many times. So many times. When I claim to be the worst video game player on the planet, I have a lot of evidence to back that claim up. This is just the beginning.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

VLR OST: [Strain]

(Akane!)

Behind her was Dio.
He was moving quickly and quietly, a knife glinting in his right hand.

(poo poo—!)

There was no time to yell to her.
I scrambled down from the top of the AB Room—

Phi wasn't following me.
When I looked back, she was still standing on the roof.

Before I could finish, she moved.
She ran across the roof, launched herself into the air—

[Music fades out]

Listen in: [English/Japanese]

He's fine. Just unconscious.

I bent down and held my fingers in front of his mouth.
He was still breathing.

I don't think he saw me.
He probably has no idea what happened to him.

Guy went down like a sack of potatoes.

He had it coming.

I heard footsteps come to a stop right in front of us.
I looked up.

999 OST: [Digital Root]

I've been waiting for you.

You're here to hear the rest, right?

Wait... Just...wait a minute.

How can you be so calm?!
If we hadn't shown up just now, you'd...you'd...

Although, that reminds me. I haven't thanked you yet.
Thank you very much. I very much appreciate you saving me.

Th-That...! What...?!

Are you an esper too?

Yes. Indeed I am.
I am able to jump through time just like you.

Then what the hell were you thinking?!
If you knew he was going to stab you, why were you going to let him do it?!

Because I had to.

You what...?

Think back.
Why are you here?
If I hadn't been killed by Dio, no one else would have been murdered.
Consequently, your own abilities would never have manifested.

I did explain, didn't I?

In order for that to happen, some death was necessary.
When a human brain is faced with danger, its processing speed increases.
Information is processed more quickly, and time almost seems to slow—a few seconds can feel like an eternity.
Unfortunately, that in itself isn't enough to send oneself through time.
The amplitude of the consciousness is simply too small.
In order to increase the amplitude, we need to slow down the brain before the increase happens.

You pull back on the rubber band and then let go.
The potential energy you stored in the band is released and converted into kinetic energy.
That's what fires the bullet out of the slingshot.
Now, while a slingshot can only fire in one direction, your mind isn't similarly limited.
When the bullet of your consciousness is fired from the slingshot of your brain, it travels past the three-dimensional world and into the four-dimensional one.
From that perspective, time is no longer fixed.
Your consciousness has been released from the three-dimensional cage.

Whoa...what?

We're infected with Radical-6?

Yes.
Don't you remember, Sigma? Luna should have told you about it in another timeline.

Well, apart from Luna, of course.

Unfortunately, it was necessary.
We needed to slow your minds in order to "store up" your potential energy.
Then we provided a dire situation that would accelerate your processing speed.
The result is what you are now experiencing.

Even that, however, wasn't enough.
You had the ability to travel, but your memories could easily be lost during the trip.
If the project was to succeed, you had to be able to retain everything you learned in each reality.
That was the reason you were forced to jump so many times.
With each jump, your ability to remember improved.
Eventually you would be able to retain everything.

That is why we made you play the AB Game.
That was why you had to select different Chromatic Doors.
By forcing specific choices, we could cause you to make more jumps.

[Music fades out]

Well, okay, there are a lot of things I don't understand, but all of what you've just told me makes sense.
You did...all of this so that Phi and I could jump through four-dimensional space with our memories intact.
Right?

Yes...

But...why did you need us to do that?
People have died for this.
I mean, let's count how many different ways people died... Murder, antimatter explosion, suicide...
I've died. So has Phi. So have you.

VLR OST: [Divulgation]

So why would you do all this? What does it matter that Phi and I jump through time?

Haven't I told you? Death was unavoidable.
You were all destined to die.
Sacrifices had to be made, for the sake of the project.

I already know all that!
What I'm asking you is why!
What is so goddamn important that it's worth all this?!

Ah...

What...?
Just when is "eventually"?

In a future not very far from now.

Bullshit! That's not good enough!
Why can't you tell us now?!

Instead of answering, Akane knelt down next to Dio and picked his knife up off the floor.

Don't change the subject!

But it's almost time...

What are you talking about? We've got plenty of time!

Wh-What...?

This is the way it has to be. Don't fight it.

Lagomorph!

Yes.

You call him Zero Jr. His official designation is "Lagomorph."

Lagomorph, this is an order: Unlock my bracelet.

Compliance.

Now everything is in place.
I have put the bracelet onto Dio.

That's the one Quark is in, right?

Correct.
I will move him.
I will also put your bodies back into the third AB Room.
Once that's done, I will reset its puzzle to an unsolved state.

To recreate the history that you remember.
Your consciousness is about to leave your body and return to the future.
Your body will be emptied, and your other consciousness will jump back in...
If your bodies aren't back in the third AB Room by then, it would be...bad.

So you're saying some version of us is going to wake up in that room and repeat the same history again?
Well, I guess this could actually be our second or third time...

You are exactly correct.

Lastly, I'm going to leave this with you.

She paused, and pulled something out of her pocket.

[Music fades out]

I'll tie it onto your ankle so that you won't lose it, all right, Sigma?

"Tu fui, ego eris."

It's Latin. It means, "What you are, I was... What I am, you will be."

Yes.

What am I supposed to do with it?

It will help you meet someone who's very important.

What...?

You won't be alone.
I will be at your side, watching over you.
Now hurry!

Wait! I still—

Sad news for anyone who really wanted to betray Phi and Tenmyouji after all that; it looks like that choice has been taken out of our hands.

...Look, I know you're out there. 38 of you wanted to betray
Luna last time.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

It's everything I could have hoped for :swoon:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I think someone mentioned Akane sounds like she's talking very slowly? That might be to account for Radical-6.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
But has Dio been infected?

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

ApplesandOranges posted:

But has Dio been infected?

Yes, when I told him I could put him on the priority list for the vaccine he was so desperate it was pathetic.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

Alacron posted:

It's definitely the best moment of VLR so far. :syoon:

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Dio's dumbass face is just so perfect. :allears:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

*Record scratch*

Yeah, that's me. I bet you're wondering how I got here.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

There's nothing quite like Dio getting owned :allears:

Super Jay Mann fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Feb 25, 2018

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Alacron posted:

Yeah, I really got a kick out of that too.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

PMush Perfect posted:

I remember hearing about this, but never saw how it did that.

SMaster777
Dec 17, 2013

I wish this was my Smash main.
Phi dropkicking Dio is legitimately the best goddamn scene in this game.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Tarezax posted:

Yes, when I told him I could put him on the priority list for the vaccine he was so desperate it was pathetic.

Desperate

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

What I'm saying is that Phi's Rider Kicks can travel through time.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
Okay. This update highlights one of the few things I don't understand in this game. Phi and Sigma (and everyone else) have apparently been infected with Radical-6 the entire time and their brain's "processing speed" has been slowed. Okay, fine. But what the hell happened here, way way back in the Security room?

Fedule posted:

heyareyouallrightwhatsgoingon

(Wh-What...? Why is she talking like that?)

youreallydontlooksogoodyourskinsallpalemaybeyoushouldsitdownforaminute

(She sounds like someone's playing a tape of her voice all sped up...)
(What is going on here?)
(I can't understand what she's saying...)

comeonsaysomethingareyouthereyoureyeslookkindablank

(And why's she moving so fast? It's like watching a video on fast-forward...)
(What the hell is...)
(...Wait... could it be me/)
(Maybe my brain is slowing down somehow...)
(So it just looks like everything's sped up...)

heysigmawhattheheckisupwithyoulooktheresasofaovertherewhydontyouliedownforabit

If everyone's infected, it makes sense as to why nobody ever noticed a problem with each other. What happened here, then?

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Cyouni posted:

I remember hearing about this, but never saw how it did that.

The trailer that unlocks if you completed the coffin ending shows a bunch of images, but most importantly, shows three doors (with other images between them): 5,8, and 6. Picking these doors on a playthrough gives you the safe ending.

The trailer that unlocks when you do the safe ending shows the doors 4, 7, and 1. Doing these doors (and answering the questions properly) gives you the coffin/true ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Okay. This update highlights one of the few things I don't understand in this game. Phi and Sigma (and everyone else) have apparently been infected with Radical-6 the entire time and their brain's "processing speed" has been slowed. Okay, fine. But what the hell happened here, way way back in the Security room?

If everyone's infected, it makes sense as to why nobody ever noticed a problem with each other. What happened here, then?

I think it just flared up. Like how Alice is fine until it just triggers and she wants to kill herself, or at least appears fine.

• Locked thread