Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Now I'm trying to think if there's anything that would've hinted at everyone operating at super-slow-mo the entire time. Was gravity ever a factor in anything? If you dropped an object and saw it just instantly plop onto the ground you'd probably think something was strange.

We're lucky Luna is so nice because watching everyone taking an eternity to do anything sounds exasperating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Reminds me of a line from X-Men when someone asked Quicksilver why he was such a jerk. "Imagine standing in the world's slowest line at the grocery store. Now imagine that is every moment of your life."

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.

Pigbuster posted:

Now I'm trying to think if there's anything that would've hinted at everyone operating at super-slow-mo the entire time. Was gravity ever a factor in anything? If you dropped an object and saw it just instantly plop onto the ground you'd probably think something was strange.

We're lucky Luna is so nice because watching everyone taking an eternity to do anything sounds exasperating.

Phi could jump higher than Dio is tall. I was assuming that was anime-physics, but if gravity is a factor... :psyduck:

FighterKnuckles
Apr 17, 2010

The truth is in sight!

Dark Flame Master posted:

Phi could jump higher than Dio is tall. I was assuming that was anime-physics, but if gravity is a factor... :psyduck:

Phi was also hiding above the AB rooms, so it more of a "jump off a roof and clock a dude with your boots" than a dramatic anime jump.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Imagine Luna watching Clover trying to stab her with the injection gun, or Alice trying to stab herself, or everyone trying to take the knife away from Quark.

"Like... guys. This is honestly kind of pathetic."

In fact, every puzzle room must have been an absolute pain. Especially if Sigma keeps messing up.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

zeroescape.jpg

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Fedule posted:

(Sh-She can fly?! How in the hell...)

Phi has been doing the rocket jump thing since literally the first room. I think she also jumps over Sigma's head back during the infamous "I hate you because you betrayed me in the timeline you haven't been to yet" branch.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I think someone mentioned Akane sounds like she's talking very slowly? That might be to account for Radical-6.

If she's speaking normally and not infected, it would be the opposite: she'd sound like a chipmunk on fastforward. Either she herself is also infected, or Akane is making a Herculean effort to speak and move slowly enough to not seem strange to Sigma and Phi's perceptions.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Imagine Luna watching Clover trying to stab her with the injection gun, or Alice trying to stab herself, or everyone trying to take the knife away from Quark.

"Like... guys. This is honestly kind of pathetic."

In fact, every puzzle room must have been an absolute pain. Especially if Sigma keeps messing up.

Again, either she's making a conscious effort to operate slowly to seem normal to the participants, or her GAULEM's systems are being deliberately slowed down by the mainframe to match.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Kerning Chameleon posted:

If she's speaking normally and not infected, it would be the opposite: she'd sound like a chipmunk on fastforward. Either she herself is also infected, or Akane is making a Herculean effort to speak and move slowly enough to not seem strange to Sigma and Phi's perceptions.

Again, either she's making a conscious effort to operate slowly to seem normal to the participants, or her GAULEM's systems are being deliberately slowed down by the mainframe to match.

I would not put it past Akane to infect herself just for this moment.

SimplyUnknown1
Aug 18, 2017

Cat Cat Cat

Kerning Chameleon posted:

I think we can safely say that Akane is not a GAULEM. Remember, Sigma's cybernetic arm bled white when it was cut, and she has always bled red in timelines that she was killed. The odds of her specifically operating slowly or infecting herself with Radical-6 seem much higher.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

We've already been shown that Luna is the GAULEM. That whole piece of intrigue has already been resolved. No one else is a robot.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
We know she likes going all the way for minor inconveniences; in 999 she captured 8 people because she couldnt be bothered to solve a simple Sudoku.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
This at least explains the missing body and the bracelet on Dio this time. I imagine he was quite confused.

SimplyUnknown1 posted:

I think we can safely say that Akane is not a GAULEM. Remember, Sigma's cybernetic arm bled white when it was cut, and she has always bled red in timelines that she was killed. The odds of her specifically operating slowly or infecting herself with Radical-6 seem much higher.

Especially since she has at least 3 vials of Axelevir placed here and a machine to duplicate more, so she could certainly have another one hidden away to cure herself.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Pigbuster posted:

Back after doing the Lounge when they are discussing the article about Radical-6 they start talking about whether it's possible they have it or not. Phi and Sigma both mention how they feel sluggish and their bodies & movement just feel off and strange, but they can never really put a finger on how to explain it or why they feel that way.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

DeathChicken posted:

Phi has been doing the rocket jump thing since literally the first room. I think she also jumps over Sigma's head back during the infamous "I hate you because you betrayed me in the timeline you haven't been to yet" branch.

Huh, yeah, I forgot about Phi's jumping prowess. I'd assumed that from everyone's perspectives she should land at her destination the instant her feet leave the ground, or that she couldn't jump at all since she'd be too slow to get momentum, but I'm probably overthinking it. Maybe physical actions aren't actually slowed down but everyone's perception is screwy enough that it just looks a little off to them, rather than super jarring.

They're definitely all talking in monster voices, though.

Potusandrew
May 29, 2013
Something that caught my eye was we've had multiple hints that Sigma is older than his picture appears. But when they showed the key around his leg, it looked quite young to me.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

SimplyUnknown1 posted:

I... never claimed that at all? The first part of my post was in response to a post about Akane, and the second in response to a post about Luna. Obviously Akane isn't a robot. Sorry if I was unclear about that distinction, I guess.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
We still haven't determined the real question of if Fedule is a robot.

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

We're a couple, when our bodies double.

PMush Perfect posted:

We still haven't determined the real question of if Fedule is a robot.

Nah but operating in slow motion? Possible.

Drufle
Dec 15, 2010
Well, the moon's gravity differs from earth's gravity by a factor of the square root of six..., so that would account for nobody really seeing anything weird (aside from Phi's super jumps).

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
I mentioned before that the timers seem to tick down way too fast, that the dialogue spoken can't account for 45 minutes just disappearing.

placid saviour
Apr 6, 2009
That's ludicrously well-done gameplay/story integration, if that were intentional.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Carados posted:

Nah but operating in slow motion? Possible.
:drat:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Added Space posted:

I mentioned before that the timers seem to tick down way too fast, that the dialogue spoken can't account for 45 minutes just disappearing.

placid saviour posted:

That's ludicrously well-done gameplay/story integration, if that were intentional.
poo poo, I never noticed that.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Added Space posted:

placid saviour posted:

That's also something I would never have noticed as a thread-reader rather than game-player. Not only do those of us only experiencing it through the thread have an abnormally long amount of time to think about puzzles and foreshadowing, we also miss little details like that.

...actually, now that I think about it, hasn't Fedule said at one point that the loading screen suggesting walking from one area to another takes forever?

Pigbuster posted:

Drufle posted:

Well, the moon's gravity differs from earth's gravity by a factor of the square root of six..., so that would account for nobody really seeing anything weird (aside from Phi's super jumps).

And speaking of having an abnormally long time to think about things: when we were arguing that we couldn't be on the moon, let alone one of the moons of Mars, the primary objection to this was that the gravity would be dramatically different than on Earth, in an impossible-to-ignore way, and that there were other explanations for "giant red thing in the sky" that didn't involve explaining away why gravity was so different. :psyduck:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

The only hangup I have with the whole time dilation thing is that if this is what's happening, then the 9 door being open for only 9 seconds is clearly a lie.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

zonohedron posted:

...actually, now that I think about it, hasn't Fedule said at one point that the loading screen suggesting walking from one area to another takes forever?

It's not that they take forever, it's just that there's so many of them and it sucks to have dialogue and events put on hold for a couple seconds to hear bloop bloop bloop bloop bloop bleep-bleep-bleep-bleep-bleep-bleep-bleep *door opening sound* *button press sound* *elevator sound* bloop bloop bloop bloop bloop bleep-bleep-bleep-bleep-bleep-bleep-bleep

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Fedule posted:

It's not that they take forever, it's just that there's so many of them and it sucks to have dialogue and events put on hold for a couple seconds to hear bloop bloop bloop bloop bloop bleep-bleep-bleep-bleep-bleep-bleep-bleep *door opening sound* *button press sound* *elevator sound* bloop bloop bloop bloop bloop bleep-bleep-bleep-bleep-bleep-bleep-bleep

I can still hear the music.

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!

Added Space posted:

Although it's never mentioned in game one way or the other, as far as I know, I don't think the time on the bracelets is real-time. It would run the risk of backfiring very easily and causing everyone to become suspicious, since it would be obvious that the time on the bracelets isn't fitting with how much time has really passed if anyone was looking at a bracelet for an extended period (like, say while waiting to vote in an AB room). Rather, it probably shows the time relative to the Radical-6 slowdown.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Epicmissingno posted:

Although it's never mentioned in game one way or the other, as far as I know, I don't think the time on the bracelets is real-time. It would run the risk of backfiring very easily and causing everyone to become suspicious, since it would be obvious that the time on the bracelets isn't fitting with how much time has really passed if anyone was looking at a bracelet for an extended period (like, say while waiting to vote in an AB room). Rather, it probably shows the time relative to the Radical-6 slowdown.

except the time dilation varies based on the progression of the disease which is different for each person

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
...well, I suppose if you wanted to put people's brains in a state of seeking desperate connections, only communicating through bullshit proverbs would be one way of doing that.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Listen in: [English/Japanese]

VLR OST: [Placidity]

Why are we here?

Do you know what happened at the AB Gate?

K and I went back to the infirmary, but...

We waited and waited, and the two of you never returned.

So we went to the warehouse to check on you...

We found you passed out in front of the AB Rooms.

K and I hurried back here with you.

I looked over at Phi, and met her eyes.

You mean what happened a long time ago?

Yeah. You got him pretty good, huh?

Hey, what're you guys talking about?

What am I, chopped liver?

Back among the conscious and not psychotic, huh?

Yeah. Thanks.

Grandpa told me what you did.

Thanks for finding the medicine for us.

No problem. All in a day's work.
Although... I wouldn't mind a little swimsuit action...

Really grabbing at straws here, aren't you?

Hey, I wasn't talking to Quark. That was an offer for Alice.

Not really my point...

Now that you guys are awake, all we've gotta do is open the number nine door!

...Huh?

What are you talking about?

Look at your bracelet.

Um...

I have 10 BP!

That means I got 6 more points while I was out.

But...how?

We've played the AB Game three times.

Three times?!

Yes.
Of course, the color and group assignments were shuffled around each time.
But no matter who voted, everyone chose "ally."

I was stunned. How had everyone cooperated long enough to raise all of our BP past 9?

Was it because Akane hadn't been killed? Without a death to start things off, maybe we'd been less suspicious of one another.

Or could the bombs have had something to do with it? We'd all joined forces against Dio, and Phi and I had been able to disarm all of them.
All of us had banded together against a common enemy and overcome a tremendous threat. Perhaps that had strengthened our bond.

...Which, I had to admit, would be somewhat ironic.
After all, Dio had planted the bombs that forced us all to work together against him.

This must have been what Akane was talking about...

Sacrifices had to be made, for the sake of the project.

Let's open the door and get out of here!

Wait...

After some discussion, we decided to leave Dio behind.

Alice was the only holdout. She'd complained about wanting to take him back to her superiors, but after I mentioned they'd come back to investigate after we escaped and deal with Dio then, she reluctantly complied.

[Music fades out]

Yes! Just get on with it!

Everyone else swallowed and nodded.

I grabbed the lever and pulled it down.

The number nine door has been opened.
It will remain open for 9 seconds.

VLR OST: [Demise]

All right everybody! Let's move!

I didn't need to tell them twice.

The room inside was clearly a loading elevator. It looked sort of like a large plate on top of a huge pedestal.
We ran to the center of the plate and turned around.
The number nine door stood wide open.

The number nine door is closing.

This ends the Nonary Game.
Thank you for your participation.
As the game is over, all doors other than the number nine door have been unlocked.

Listen in: [English/Japanese]

Yes. We should keep moving.

[Music fades out]

Beyond the door was a wide hallway that ended in a very solid wall.

To the left we found a very familiar-looking door.
We pushed it open and went in.

You know what this place is?

Y-Yeah, sort of.
This whole facility is pressurized, apparently.
I think the idea is to keep the air outside, and consequently the virus, from getting inside.
That means that if we want to go out, we have to decompress so we match the outside air pressure.
This room here is where you prepare for going into the actual pressure exchange room.

I figure we need to put those on and head to the decompression room downstairs.

W-Whoa! Hold on a minute!
You're saying the air outside is full of that horrible virus?!

Yeah... That's what it seems like.

Of course, according to Akane we were all already infected with Radical-6, so the whole room seemed a little pointless...

Did...did they...?

No! That's not possible!

Let's go outside.
There's no way to know what's really going on until we do.

All right.

No one else objected. We all donned the protective suits and headed downstairs to the decompression room.

999 OST: [Riddle and Puzzle]

As soon as we were all inside, the process began.
Through my helmet I could hear the soft hiss of air being sucked out of the room.

We stood there for several minutes, waiting for the process to finish.
At last it did, and we heard the door begin to open.

Beyond it was another decompression chamber.
We repeated the process two more times before we reached the final door and opened it.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

We win :toot: For real this time :toot:

Well, except Dio :smuggo:

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

theshim posted:

Well, now we know that there is no path that just has uniform allying to win the game (not that anyone really expected it, of course). Betrayal and death are the order of the day! :unsmigghh:

I found this really funny for some reason.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Plot twist, it's just an endless chain of airlocks, everybody just got punked.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I feel like a few betrays here and there could have possibly sped up the process a little and wouldn't have come across as "Reeee, how dare you backstab me" if it had been discussed in advance. Phi, for example, isn't exactly hurting for points.

I guess it's nicer to have everyone vote Ally, though.

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!
Who's voting against who is decided by which doors everyone goes through, right? So what would that mean for these rounds? Everyone just picks a partner and votes, or the bracelet groups that make white count again? If it's the latter, then there's a serious flaw: if Sigma, Phi and Dio were to be in an arrangement where they would have had to all go through the same white door, then they all would have died.

Then again, with how much Akane and Zero know about what will happen across all the timelines, that eventuality probably wouldn't come up in any case.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

zonohedron posted:

And speaking of having an abnormally long time to think about things: when we were arguing that we couldn't be on the moon, let alone one of the moons of Mars, the primary objection to this was that the gravity would be dramatically different than on Earth, in an impossible-to-ignore way, and that there were other explanations for "giant red thing in the sky" that didn't involve explaining away why gravity was so different. :psyduck:

I still think "Everyone's brain is operating in slow motion" wouldn't cut it because even if your perception of time was off, you're used to moving your body in 1 g, and that would produce different, unexpected results if you were actually moving in 0.16 g.

EDIT: AH ha ha ha! gently caress Dio.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Nidoking posted:

I found this really funny for some reason.

How many of those do you still have saved up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

I'm only surprised Sigma opening the door didn't result in seven people punt kicking him and laughing as they ran out without him.

• Locked thread