Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Elite posted:

3) Somebody just got murdered like.. 5 minutes ago
Don't forget the old lady! That's two dead people right there. I think that's more than enough reason to want to get the hell out when no one has any idea who could have done it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Justin_Brett posted:

Plus there's basically no benefit from being the first person to 9 points. K could still get out fairly easily if they tried to stop him, but I doubt he'd want to be in that position.

You get to leave the second no-one's looking and even if you don't actually get through the door, the 9 door only opens once. So once someone gets to 9 they can remove all hope of escape so long as they can get to the lever.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Here's my theory.

Quark absorbed some of Clover's potential insanity and killed Alice.

Now Clover is going to kill everyone else.

This is clearly a path that results in player death.

I can't wait to see how many ways we can die :allears:

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

dscruffy1 posted:

So what's the mindfuck hook for this one? 999 had the idea of passing on information through the collective unconscious, but either I haven't been playing close enough attention or it hasn't come up yet for this one.

Well Phi is getting her information somehow or other, presumably either through time travel shenanigans or metamorphic fields. Then there's whatever's going on with Quark, and the fact that some or all of the cast are probably robots and/or the apocalypse happened after they got kidnapped.

Of course these are all clues we as the players are picking up on, I'm kind of curious to see when the characters themselves are going to begin to realize it. It's a little weird they haven't even really tried to figure out how they might all be connected yet, and the only people who seem to have actual information (Phi and Clover) aren't exactly being helpful.

I have to say this game isn't doing Clover any favors, she was sooo much more likeable in 999.

edit: Also we'll never find the bloody body of a little kid knifed in a corner since there's no way the game will go there, so Quark is clearly the murderer as he's the only one immune from being a murderee.

Zoe fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jul 6, 2013

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

Zoe posted:

I have to say this game isn't doing Clover any favors, she was sooo much more likeable in 999.
She also wore clothing in 999. However, her hair was more ridiculous.

You win some, you lose some?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Shei-kun posted:

She also wore clothing in 999. However, her hair was more ridiculous.

You win some, you lose some?

Cosplaying as Pebbles is all the rage in the future.

LateToTheParty
Oct 13, 2012

The bane of my existence.

Super Jay Mann posted:

So far we've got psychotic AIs and the possibility of snatchers/replicants, but that's about it so far.

:spergin: I think you mean SNATCHERS.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Zoe posted:

How so? She really does not seem to be different personality wise.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

MonsterEnvy posted:

How so? She really does not seem to be different personality wise.

She's a lot less intelligent. In the first game, Clover doesn't let anything slip about her connection to the Nonary Game until she's absolutely certain that she can trust Junpei.

In this game, she's already mentioned that she and Alice are a part of an "organization", which only makes her sound more suspicious than she may have been initially given her comments about the fact the Nonary Game was supposed to be over.

It really doesn't help that she was oversexed for this game. In fact, the game was promoted via a flash game where you had to tap the 9 door open with Clover on the other side.

And her breasts would jiggle every time that you tapped the door.

Fedule posted:

You're planning on betraying me, aren't you Dio?

Give me a little credit!

-Less than five minutes later-

You bitch!
Goddamnit, Phi!
Open this loving door!
How am I supposed to vote?!

So, I think this pretty much confirms that Dio can't be trusted and/or was flat out lying about Quark.

Then again, Quark has gone completely nuts, so it could be a 50/50 toss up.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Jul 6, 2013

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Instant Grat posted:

I understood that line to mean that, with 5 BP, betraying won't help him get out any quicker - 2 rounds of ally/ally and he'll be out, and it's the same for Luna. Betrayal will only serve to cause people to distrust him - ally/ally or betray/ally, he's still one round away from the magic 9.

Maybe orenronen can shed some light on how it was worded in the original Japanese version...

Sigma's lines are unchanged, but Luna's next line, translated as "Oh... I see...", is more like "Oh, so that's the reason you won't betray..." in a disappointed tone of voice, implying more explicitly she wished he would ally for a more altruistic reason than Nonary game strategy.

There is one segment of text in this update that's almost a complete rewrite from the original. Anyone care to guess what it is?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

orenronen posted:

Sigma's lines are unchanged, but Luna's next line, translated as "Oh... I see...", is more like "Oh, so that's the reason you won't betray..." in a disappointed tone of voice, implying more explicitly she wished he would ally for a more altruistic reason than Nonary game strategy.

There is one segment of text in this update that's almost a complete rewrite from the original. Anyone care to guess what it is?

Clover's line about "We promised we'd catch them together"?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

She's a lot less intelligent. In the first game, Clover doesn't let anything slip about her connection to the Nonary Game until she's absolutely certain that she can trust Junpei.

In this game, she's already mentioned that she and Alice are a part of an "organization", which only makes her sound more suspicious than she may have been initially given her comments about the fact the Nonary Game was supposed to be over.

Well she was kind of depressed over her supposed dead brother in the first game. She is acting the same as she did when he was alive really. (She was always kind of thick in the last game)

kvltmanifesto
Oct 10, 2012

orenronen posted:

My money's on the weird airplane/discovering a dead body metaphor thing.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Skunkrocker posted:

Speaking of screwing everyone over, Fedule, are you going to pull a Dragonatrix and show off all the endings?

For now, I'm going with "no" (because seriously now) but we all know how that turned out with 999 so I'm just going to fall back on following the votes. For now.

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

I shall admit my wickedness.

orenronen posted:

The turbulence part, perhaps?

EDIT: Beaten, but it's not like I have any better ideas.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

orenronen posted:

Is it where Dio flips out and goes all American with swear words and threats?

FluffySquirrel
Oct 26, 2010

orenronen posted:

I'm gonna go with 'It seemed like a bit of a stretch to think a kid could kill someone of Alice's size, though.'

Everyone in Japan knows better, after being raised on this kind of thing

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
I thought the Luna dialogue was implying Luna has a thing for Sigma. :3:

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out

Fedule posted:

For now, I'm going with "no" (because seriously now) but we all know how that turned out with 999 so I'm just going to fall back on following the votes. For now.

I'm confused now you've said this. All the different endings are the results of the game playing out in different ways with different scenes, results and rooms unlocked. You also need to hit all the endings to get the actual end of the game.

So... Why do an LP of this game if you don't want to show the full game and story off? It's not like showing off every piece of item dialogue like the previous one tried to do, it's the actual story.

Or I'm being really rude and I've misunderstood something, in which case I apologise for my post.

If it's the sheer amount of transcribing involved in writing the LP up I'm more than happy to help out.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Lethemonster posted:

I'm confused now you've said this. All the different endings are the results of the game playing out in different ways with different scenes, results and rooms unlocked. You also need to hit all the endings to get the actual end of the game.

So... Why do an LP of this game if you don't want to show the full game and story off? It's not like showing off every piece of item dialogue like the previous one tried to do, it's the actual story.

Or I'm being really rude and I've misunderstood something, in which case I apologise for my post.

If it's the sheer amount of transcribing involved in writing the LP up I'm more than happy to help out.

There's Official Endings and there's Game Overs. Some of the Game Overs are really good and I'd be sad if we skipped them, but I don't think any of them are necessary for the True We're Not Joking This Time Ending.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

I assume most of the Game Overs are several variations of "oops you hit 0 BP and died".

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Lethemonster posted:

I guess at some point I'm going to have to divulge how the endings all break down, but let's just say that you and I are working off of different interpretations of "all the endings".

In either case, I plan to follow the votes and see where that takes us. I imagine we're going to see the vast majority of the game's content without me having to force any decisions.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Fedule posted:

I guess at some point I'm going to have to divulge how the endings all break down, but let's just say that you and I are working off of different interpretations of "all the endings".

In either case, I plan to follow the votes and see where that takes us. I imagine we're going to see the vast majority of the game's content without me having to force any decisions.

I rather assumed it was always going to be votes all the way at least until the final ending, and then maybe just a showcase of the optional endings we missed, one update per. I just didn't want to be the first one in the thread to say anything about how that works.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Let's not worry about this until we at least get a ending, eh? After seeing the 999 LP, I think we can be reasonably confident that Fedule won't short us on content.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

kvltmanifesto posted:

My money's on the weird airplane/discovering a dead body metaphor thing.

Bingo.

Basically, this is all completely new material:

It's not even replacing anything -- the original has a short sentence about Sigma's feet shaking, and nothing more. The other narration from Sigma regarding the body, both when discovering it and when leaving the scene, is also heavily rewritten for increased pathos.

I can't help but fear the translator had some unpleasant experience with a dead body in his past.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

orenronen posted:

Bingo.

Basically, this is all completely new material:

It's not even replacing anything -- the original has a short sentence about Sigma's feet shaking, and nothing more. The other narration from Sigma regarding the body, both when discovering it and when leaving the scene, is also heavily rewritten for increased pathos.

I can't help but fear the translator had some unpleasant experience with a dead body in his past.

Huh, that always did seem to come out of left field to me, I wrote it off as similar to 999 trying to emphasize Junpei's affection for June even when the player had just met her. Interesting.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
I'm sure it's been brought up before, but we've already had references to quantum computing and Schrodinger's Cat, and we've got a kid named 'Quark' on the cast, so I'm guessing the obligatory mindfuck this game is centered around will involve all that?

I really feel for whatever writer was told, 'now explain quantum physics, but in, like, one paragraph of exposition, and in a way that the average teenager playing a DS will understand'.

Quiet Python
Nov 8, 2011
I'm just surprised no one has decked Dio yet. He's been nothing but a foul-mouthed bully to everyone, and I can assume that the only reason no one has belted him in the jaw is that he's been pretty much all talk and no action.

I suspect he's not the killer here, because he's the obvious suspect. Unless we're going for the Clue "they all did it" ending.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

orenronen posted:

That does come across well in the current voice acting, though. I agree with Spatula City's interpretation of the delivery.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Quiet Python posted:

I suspect he's not the killer here, because he's the obvious suspect. Unless we're going for the Clue "they all did it" ending.

Only if there's a hidden voice track where Zero III's done by Tim Curry and Clover by Madeline Kahn.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Zoe posted:

I'm sure it's been brought up before, but we've already had references to quantum computing and Schrodinger's Cat, and we've got a kid named 'Quark' on the cast, so I'm guessing the obligatory mindfuck this game is centered around will involve all that?

That seems likely, though given the way things ended up in 999 I doubt it'll need to have much connection to QM as it's generally understood. We still know that Phi may have some future/alternate dimension knowledge that will come into play. I expect some sort of "we have to collapse the waves forms!" to be the eventual solution.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Alright, thread, I hate to do this to you, but I suddenly find myself called away from home for a week. No, this is not going to be like last time where I want to Ireland for a week and ended up almost getting my Path of Radiance LP archived - I'll be back in a week (no open returns this time!), after which it's back to work.

I'm not leaving you with nothing, though...

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

89% of 352 subjects voted to Ally with Luna... again. She's really won us over!

Listen in: [English/Japanese]

Results will be displayed in the warehouse.
Thank you for your participation.
Ambidex Gates now opening.

Listen in: [English/Japanese]

Please direct your attention to the results screen.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
K kept his word, and so did Luna. It's not a big surprise that Tenmyouji didn't, he was risking death if he didn't. But Quark can now escape... and I think he might just try to do that, given his panic earlier. They'll need to find him.

Hmmm... they can't leave the warehouse unguarded, nor will one person want to stay there alone, given a killer on the loose. So two people will have to stay, and the rest will have to move in groups to search. Oh right, they have to keep playing the doors game. No one can stay behind.
Well, I knew we were all dead as soon as Alice bit it. Is her bracelet still by the corpse, or has it vanished because the protagonist left it behind foolishly?

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
What surprised me more is that Clover allied. K would have looked horrible if he didn't ally, Luna was a given, there was pretty much no other offer.

I can't blame Mr.Ten for betraying, if you think about it this way:

The only way ally works is that Clover goes along with it, for a +2. Clover just turned insane, running out of the room, and she only needs 3 BP to run away.

On the other hand, if Ten betrays and Clover allies, only Quark gets to run out. Where's Quark? Missing, and there's a chance he might not even be around to claim his prize anyway.

Rith
Oct 10, 2012

YOU'VE GOT THAT WRONG!

Eeepies posted:

What surprised me more is that Clover allied. K would have looked horrible if he didn't ally, Luna was a given, there was pretty much no other offer.

I can't blame Mr.Ten for betraying, if you think about it this way:

The only way ally works is that Clover goes along with it, for a +2. Clover just turned insane, running out of the room, and she only needs 3 BP to run away.

On the other hand, if Ten betrays and Clover allies, only Quark gets to run out. Where's Quark? Missing, and there's a chance he might not even be around to claim his prize anyway.

Clover would have looked more horrible than K if she hadn't allied, I'd say; if she had betrayed, she would have risked killing Tenmyouji. For the same reason, I don't think there's any need to justify Tenmyouji's betrayal by looking at Clover's behaviour and Quark's absence; 'he didn't want to die' is a fair enough reason.

(I'm not trying to say we can't consider whether those things might have had an impact on Tenmyouji's decision, of course, but I think it would be hard to blame him for betraying even without Alice's death and Quark's disappearance.)

It's good to see nobody's at immediate risk of death now. Well, in the Ambidex Game, at any rate. My first reaction when I saw the updated scores was relief that Alice was out of the woods; remembering that her points aren't really a concern any more was an unpleasant moment.

Rith fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Jul 8, 2013

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
If Quark isn't found before the next set of doors close, we're gonna have two more dead people on our hands. Plus, now there's the chance that, wherever he is, he can escape and leave everyone else stranded.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Tenmyouji seemed pretty upset about that woman dying, so he probably betrayed so Quark could get 9 and escape.

But did he really think it was a good idea opting to further upset the already distraught (and possibly homicidal) girl?

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------
The real question is why would Clover even ally to begin with :confused:

We have seen what she is capable of when she has 0 trust with the people around her and someone close to her (at least believed to be) dead, and even then why would she think Tenny would even not go for the "defensive" betrayal to make sure he stays alive at the very least. and now with Alice dead even choosing ally to begin with would only slow her escape in this outcome, and I think she made it clear she wants out by any means at this point.

EDIT: VVVV exactly

NextTime000 fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jul 8, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

But did he really think it was a good idea opting to further upset the already distraught (and possibly homicidal) girl?
On the other hand, we know that Clover has psychotic tendencies, so I have precisely zero trust for her. I'd assume she's gonna hit betray.

• Locked thread