Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Fedule posted:

comeonesaysomethingareyouthereyoureyeslookkindablank

Minor typo. I usually make that mistake too, for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Green Intern posted:

There are some other 'Named' GAULEMs in these lists, aside from G-OLM.

To list a few: O-TKU = Otaku
A-5KY = ASCII?
M-1K3 = Mike
K-1ND = Kind
P-RTY = Party

Looks like the devs had a little bit of fun with the list.

I also see Miku (Vocaloid, computer-modeled pop singer singing computer-made songs for anyone who's avoided that bit of the internet weirdness), Yoshi, List, Apple, Games, Dragon, and Bishi. Zero's clearly a bit of an internet geek.

symptom
Oct 19, 2011
I also see O-TKU/Otaku. I'm sad I never noticed those before now.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

The block of FMs including Apple, Party, Gems, and Kind are apparently a "Show That Must Not Be Named" reference, though I don't remember where I read that.

EDIT:
Apparently that was from a spoileriffic interview with the translators. Uh, don't go looking for it.

Just Andi Now fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Aug 17, 2013

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Green Intern posted:

P-RTY = Party

Well at least the Andrew W.K. bot was made...

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

And what is that show? I see nothing by that title on Google.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

SectumSempra posted:

Its pretty clear that the bracelet activated

It is? Because that's rather strange, considering the bracelets should only activate after voting.

Meirlkor
Feb 18, 2013

Bruceski posted:

quote:

There are some other 'Named' GAULEMs in these lists, aside from G-OLM.

To list a few: O-TKU = Otaku
A-5KY = ASCII?
M-1K3 = Mike
K-1ND = Kind
P-RTY = Party

Looks like the devs had a little bit of fun with the list.
I also see Miku (Vocaloid, computer-modeled pop singer singing computer-made songs for anyone who's avoided that bit of the internet weirdness), Yoshi, List, Apple, Games, Dragon, and Bishi. Zero's clearly a bit of an internet geek.

There also seems to be a 'Miko', a 'Gems', and a 'Sony' in there, as well as what looks suspiciously like 'bare' (B-AR3).
I think Y-051 being Yoshi is stretching it a little, though. Surely they can't all be references to something.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

It is? Because that's rather strange, considering the bracelets should only activate after voting.
Also if you break the rules, I think. But no idea why only Sigma would be injected.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Bruceski posted:

And what is that show? I see nothing by that title on Google.

It's not the title. The show really can't be named here. You're really better off not knowing.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

I'm fairly sure you're at least allowed to mention the name of the show, provided you don't actually discuss anything relevant to it. But on the off chance I'm wrong, here's a link to an SAclopedia article about it and why it's forbidden to talk about on SA.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=2338

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

...I was thinking of a completely different Show That Must Not Be Named.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.
Oh no Sigma! :ohdear: Is he a Gaulem too?

edit: It seems like he got shut down, like G-OLM. Maybe Zero didn't want him seeing who the murderer was?

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

GeneralYeti posted:

Oh no Sigma! :ohdear: Is he a Gaulem too?

edit: It seems like he got shut down, like G-OLM. Maybe Zero didn't want him seeing who the murderer was?

This is a much better explanation than having the bracelet zap him. But last time, the golem we met got that special announcement about some unauthorized process, etc. before he got shut down, here there was no warning whatsoever.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Any of those ID numbers give hints as to who (if anyone) might be a gaulem? The only one I see is M-9LU for Luna, but it's only the last two letters so it might just be a coincidence.

Kay Kessler fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Aug 17, 2013

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Good old G-OLM. Deactivated and still ready to lend a hand.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Bifauxnen posted:

But last time, the golem we met got that special announcement about some unauthorized process, etc. before he got shut down, here there was no warning whatsoever.
Remember that G-0LM had some awareness of/access to the system. Sigma has none (if he's a Gaulem).

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Pierzak posted:

Remember that G-0LM had some awareness of/access to the system. Sigma has none (if he's a Gaulem).

That he's told us about.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
So yeah, apparently every single one of the GAULEM names is a reference.

quote:

Nobara “Noba” Nakayama: There’s a scene on the computer, where it has all the data loading and it has all the information.... We wanted to change everything; on the screen originally it was a whole different set of numbers. We went through all this debate to change it. All the names--we changed them. So my name is in it, Ben’s name is in it...

Bateman: If you look at the screen that has all the GAULEM [robot] product IDs--and there’s like 36 of them--I changed every single one of them so that each one of them is a reference to something. There’s one for each of us in the office. There’s some that refer to other things like characters from Dr. Who and things like that... It’s not plot-related, but it’s an Easter egg.... There’s one for each of the main six from My Little Pony.

Noba: And then he also put in his girlfriend’s name. So there’s that for the US audience. You guys can try to figure out what they refer to. That was a fun one. We pushed for that.

(by the way, do not look up this interview if you're at all concerned about spoilers.)

For reasons I'll outline in a minute, I suck at this kind of "puzzle", but I'm betting others in this thread don't. So let's take the man up on his offer and collectively figure them out.

To reiterate, we're looking for:
  • Dr Who and "things like that" references
  • *shudder* Ponies. *shudder*
  • Names of people in the localization office (ie, Aksys, not Spike Chunsoft, although maybe Kotaro Uchikoshi is on here.)

The gender designations may or may not actually mean anything, and possibly the "models" are groups of some kind, although how this works given the chaos of the listing generally is up in the air.

Initial evidence suggests that the models are groups but just aren't all clumped together for whatever reason. Some groups may be less helpful than others. Also may be multiple groups with same initial for all we know.

I get the feeling that many of these are not straight-up names, so some actual thinking may be required. For example, apparently one of these is Ben Bateman, but none of them jump out at me... so yeah. I was hoping to start this off by digging up a few but christ, these are evidently harder than they first look. The only ones I'm reasonably confident are the god damned Ponies (although that's only because someone specifically mentioned that block of names and it was explicitly confirmed in the interview). It's, frankly, embarrassing. Hopefully some people here are better at spotting obscure references than I am.

quote:

GTM-XM-M-1KU - possible Hatsune Miku, though who knows what X stands for
GTF-KM-A-ED1
GTM-MM-Y-051
GTF-YM-B-AR3
GTF-SM-M-1KO
GTM-SM-A-K30
GTF-FM-L-1ST - Friendship Model, Twilight Sparkle
GTF-FM-A-PL3 - Friendship Model, Applejack
GTF-FM-K-1ND - Friendship Model, Fluttershy
GTF-FM-P-RTY - Friendship Model, Pinkie Pie
GTF-FM-G-3M5 - Friendship Model, Rarity
GTM-FM-D-AGN - Friendship Model, Spike the Dragon
GTM-KM-B-5H1
GTM-SM-S-BOY - Science Boy from 999? (Science Model?)
GTM-GM-D-W80 - Dr Who (Gallifrey Model?)
GTF-TM-A-R45
GTF-RM-S-0N7
GTF-CM-M-D5A
GTM-OM-B-154
GTM-DM-0-TKU
GTM-JM-H-397
GTF-YM-M-07L
GTF-JM-K-S07
GTM-CM-G-OLM - A freebie.
GTF-FM-R-2OC - Friendship Model, "20% cooler"
GTM-SM-J-117
GTF-GM-M-9LU
GTF-NM-0-13A
GTF-YM-A-5KY
GTF-AM-3-65V
GTM-AM-S-510
GTF-OM-Y-OBK
GTM-EN-I-K32
GTM-WM-S-ROS
GTM-CM-M-1K3
GTF-AM-Y-UKO - Possibly Yuko Abe of localization team (which suggests AM = Aksys Model)

Fedule fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Aug 19, 2013

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

quote:

GTF-FM-L-1ST - Apparently a Pony.
GTF-FM-A-PL3 - "
GTF-FM-K-1ND - "
GTF-FM-P-RTY - "
GTF-FM-G-3M5 - "
GTM-FM-D-AGN - "

In order: Twilight Sparkle, Applejack, Fluttershy, Pinkie Pie, Rarity and - how is that last one Rainbow Dash?

I assume they're all Friendship Models.

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

Fedule posted:

GTM-SM-S-BOY

This one's my favourite. Science Boy lives, guys. Science Boy lives. :unsmith:

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

:sueme:

GTM-GM-D-W80 is Dr. Who.
GTF-AM-Y-UKO could be Yuko Abe, the licensing manager of the localization team.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009

maswastaken posted:

In order: Twilight Sparkle, Applejack, Fluttershy, Pinkie Pie, Rarity and - how is that last one Rainbow Dash?

I assume they're all Friendship Models.
It might be a different character from that show, since it's the only one that's listed as 'male' bot.
Further down is this one:

quote:

GTF-FM-R-2OC

No idea if that's related at all or not, though.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The D-RGON is probably Spike the dragon. The other FM is definitely a reference to the lovely 20% cooler joke.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I initially read it as 2-ROC and was hoping we'd see some dinosaurs. :v:

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Minus Green posted:

GTM-GM-D-W80 is Dr. Who.
GTF-AM-Y-UKO could be Yuko Abe, the licensing manager of the localization team.

If D-W80 is Dr. Who, and we continue assuming that the models actually mean something, what's GM? I'm sorry, I'm probably the only Brit in existence who doesn't follow Dr. Who. Please don't report me.

Similar logic suggests AM might be Aksys Model if you're right about Y-UKO, which suggests GTF-AM-3-65V and GTM-AM-S-510 as possibly other Aksys staff. Er... if there are only two then they have to be Ben Bateman and Nobara Nakayama, except I can't really see how that makes any sense, so something here isn't right (it might be me).

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Fedule posted:

If D-W80 is Dr. Who, and we continue assuming that the models actually mean something, what's GM? I'm sorry, I'm probably the only Brit in existence who doesn't follow Dr. Who. Please don't report me.
I'm assume it stands for Gallifrey Model, since that's the planet where the Time Lords come from.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

quote:

GTF-FM-R-2OC

Rainbow Dash from MLP:FiM. Reference to a line of hers in Season 1.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Man, I love the music for this game. Visual novels, if they have any audio at all, need to make sure their music is at least inoffensive but this one gets me in the right mood for all the creepy/mysterious stuff.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Fedule posted:

Similar logic suggests AM might be Aksys Model if you're right about Y-UKO, which suggests GTF-AM-3-65V and GTM-AM-S-510 as possibly other Aksys staff. Er... if there are only two then they have to be Ben Bateman and Nobara Nakayama, except I can't really see how that makes any sense, so something here isn't right (it might be me).

It's probably a Japanese number pun. If there's anything I know about Japanese developers, it's that they love shortening their names into number puns somehow.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
GTF-YM-B-AR3 - going to guess this is "Yogi Model" and "bare" is a purposeful misspelling.

Then again, if the gender designations are relevant, that doesn't fit, does it?

Ghost Car
Sep 14, 2009

Nidoking posted:

GTF-YM-B-AR3 - going to guess this is "Yogi Model" and "bare" is a purposeful misspelling.

Then again, if the gender designations are relevant, that doesn't fit, does it?

There are other YMs (M-07L and A-5KY), so if we're assuming the two-letter designation means the same thing every time it appears, I'm not sure that fits.

Meirlkor
Feb 18, 2013

Ghost Car posted:

There are other YMs (M-07L and A-5KY), so if we're assuming the two-letter designation means the same thing every time it appears, I'm not sure that fits.

If we're going to assume that (and I agree, actually), then it's pretty unlikely that GTM-SM-S-BOY is 999's Science Boy because there's three other SM models, GTF-SM-M-1KO, GTM-SM-A-K30 and GTM-SM-J-117. Not all of those really resemble anything that I can think of from 999, let alone that specific room.

Also, I think the first one (GTM-XM-M-1KU) would logically be Hatsune Miku, since there just aren't many well-known characters with the name Miku, and none that I can think of that are as Internet-popular as the voice program. That said, I can't figure out what XM would be. A cursory search didn't turn up anything related that starts with the letter X.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Meirlkor posted:

If we're going to assume that (and I agree, actually), then it's pretty unlikely that GTM-SM-S-BOY is 999's Science Boy because there's three other SM models, GTF-SM-M-1KO, GTM-SM-A-K30 and GTM-SM-J-117. Not all of those really resemble anything that I can think of from 999, let alone that specific room.

Either that or there's more than one S Model.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
I would really like to know what just happened. That can't be an actual ending, right? I'm going to just assume we're being messed with because of Fedule's love of cliffhangers.

saihate
Oct 16, 2009

ID: ththththt
PASS: hthththth

Meirlkor posted:

Also, I think the first one (GTM-XM-M-1KU) would logically be Hatsune Miku, since there just aren't many well-known characters with the name Miku, and none that I can think of that are as Internet-popular as the voice program. That said, I can't figure out what XM would be. A cursory search didn't turn up anything related that starts with the letter X.
I also think it's Miku because one of the Aksys staff members is a huge fan (judging from his Twitter account). Dunno what the X part would stand for despite being a long time Vocaloid fan.

saihate fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Aug 19, 2013

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Man, there are a hell of a lot of gaulems on that list, aren't there? When this...facility? Whatever you call it...when this place was fully staffed it must have had a lot of robots running around.

...which just puts more fuel on the fire of the "everyone's a robot" theory, doesn't it?

That would be a pretty good joke ending: now that we've got access to the code of all the robots, we can make everyone DANCE!

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Gotcha.

I sat up slowly, rubbbing tenderly at my head.

999 OST: [Imaginary]

Yeah, I'm fine. Don't worry about it.

Listen in: [English/Japanese]

You sure?

Yeah.

You really looked like you'd lost it for a minute there.

Well, I seem to have found it again.
This is the security office... Maybe they've got a lost and found?

Your sanity's pretty easy to miss. I'm surprised anyone found it, let alone turned it in.

(Heh...)

Yeah. I think I must just be getting tired. Kinda surprised it didn't catch up to me sooner.

I hope that's all it is... You haven't... caught a disease or something, have you?

Well, you're looking a lot better, so I can stop worrying... right?

What are you, my mom?

Fine. No more check-ins.

Anyway, I figured something out while you were resting.
Come have a look at this.

Footage from room 2 in the crew quarters. The room where we found Alice and Luna.
I dug it out of G-OLM's cache.

When was this recorded...?

You'll see in a minute.

Up there on the right... That looks like some sort of timecode.

Can you figure it out?

No... It's just a bunch of numbers. I can't make heads or tails of it.

Yeah. The central server seems to be using its own time system.
Files appear to be named based on that system.
They might as well be random to you and me, which made it pretty hard to find this gem.

Yeah.

He looks at his bracelet here.
Probably checking how much time is left...

I'll just pause that and magnify it...

So that means this footage is from 21 minutes before the primary doors opened, right?

Exactly.

And that would have been the white doors in this case, right?

Yes.
After K leaves this room, it's about two minutes before he comes back with you and me.

There were 20 minutes on the clock when we met up with him, right?
So that means what we're seeing here is K one minute before he saw us.

Right.

Yeah, if you believe him.
The footage here doesn't show any of that.

Are there any other angles?

I looked around, but I couldn't find one. The only stuff left is shot from this position.

You mean that this is a record of what happened right around the time of Luna's death, right?

Exactly.

Are you ready?

Y-Yeah.

Okay. Let's keep going.

Let's say this is 0 hours, 0 minutes.
After all, it's not like we know what time it actually is.

Right.

There's no one here...

Yeah. About a minute goes by before anyone shows up.

Wait... How do you know it's been a minute?

This.

Yeah. If I play it back at normal speed, I can measure time using this hourglass.
Then I just add the time from the hourglass, and that's how far in we are.

Oh... Someone's coming in...

Yeah. This is 0 hours, 1 minute.

Right now, you and I are talking to Dio in the floor B warehouse.
With the timeframe we've established, calculating what we're doing is pretty easy.

Are they fighting?
Hm, no, it's not really a fight. It looks like Clover's just going off on Luna...
Luna's just staying silent and listening to her...

Yeah.

Can we hear them? Is there an audio track?

Want to listen to it?

[this sound defies onomatopoeia]

What the hell is this...?

Don't know. The audio data must have been transcoded into something else.

Well, we won't be able to understand anything in that.

Huh?

Clover's interrogation goes on for a while, but it's all pretty much the same thing.
Now, at 0 hours, 10 minutes, thing suddenly change.
Here.

Is there another-- Ah, no, you said this was it.

Yeah. This is the only one that I found.
It shouldn't be too hard to guess what happened after you've seen the next part, though.

She looked like she was kind of panicking...

Yeah.
This is about a minute and 40 seconds after they both left the frame, so 0 hours, 11 minutes, 40 seconds.

Luna's still in the room.
That means...

Hold on. Wait until you've seen the whole thing before you start deducing.
At 0 hours, 12 minutes, another person comes in, just missing her.

What's he up to?

I don't know.
But I'm pretty sure that whatever it was, he doesn't want us to know about it.

Why?

Remember what he said when you asked him about Quark?

You're saying he was lying.
He wasn't in the floor B warehouse the whole time. He went to the crew quarters after we left him.

Yeah.
So what would have been important enough for him to lie about it?
We should consider that it might have been something bad.

And whatever it was, it happened during this time?

Yeah. I think so.

Maybe he heard a noise.

Like what?

The cyan door opening?

That brings us to 0 hours, 13 minutes, 10 seconds.

Ahh... When he heard K open the cyan door, he panicked.
Whatever he was up to, he didn't want K to catch him at it.

Yeah, below the bottom of the frame, just like the others.

If K was telling the truth, this is where he begins to try and recuscitate Luna.
Anyway, nothing happens for the next 16 minutes.
It's just... this.

So I'll fast-forward, alright?

Sure.

All right, should be around here. One sec...

Hmm... So we've come full circle, huh?

Yeah.

For our arbitrary timecode, that's 0 hours, and 29 minutes.

One minute later, at 0 hours, 30 minutes, K heads to the floor A warehouse.

Once he gets there, he'll tell us about Luna's death.

I've looked at it carefully...

And I think it has something to tell us.

You mean who killed Luna, right?

Well, I can't say for sure. This footage makes for pretty shaky evidence.
But it does suggest a very likely culprit.

Better think carefully before voting!

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
drat you Fedule now I can't influence the LP's direction with my insider info, you crafty jerk. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
Dio's an rear end in a top hat and we got no idea what K's deal is, but Clover has a proven track record of psycho killing (at least in an alternate timeline). Plus she's the one with an established motivation for killing Luna. Also, given the amount of time Clover, Dio, and K spent on the scene, it makes the most sense that Clover or K did it, not Dio. But Luna not moving into view after the confrontation with Clover seems pretty strongly to point to Clover. Which could be a red herring, but that's viewer logic. It makes the most sense for Sigma to say it was Clover even just given what he knows.

• Locked thread