Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Don't be silly, Fedule's just making up for all the backlog from several updates ago. The world requires balance, y'know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Yeah, a lot of stuff happened. There was a trip across the country (it was fun), a wedding (it was beautiful), and lots of videogames, and some idiot introduced me to the West Wing, and college uni is starting up again in a week.

That said, I'll be updating today.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

VLR OST: [Placidity]

Listen in: [English/Japanese]

Think this actually works?

Donno. Only one way to find out, though.

Hey. Someone's coming.

*Pant* *Pant* *Pant*

What's going on here?

We bumped into them a little while ago.

Who'd have thought we'd bump into you, too?

Lemme see the map.

Oh... sure.

All three routes end up here.

That map... It's just like the one we found in the crew quarters.

Crew quarters?

Oh, we found a map like that too.
There was one in the lounge.

There's a lounge?
Anyway, ours was in the infirmary.

Hmm... Maybe we should sit down for a bit and exchange information.

No. There's plenty of time for that after we check out this elevator.

You may have noticed that that scene just now was extremely similar to the scene we got after exiting the lounge on the last branch! We're going to be seeing a lot of this; a mixture of new scenes and old scenes, and old scenes with switched around names and places.

That means it's time for us to avail ourselves of 999's most innovative feature...

Wheeeee!

VLR continues the proud tradition of having the greatest fast-forward button in videogames, allowing us to breeze through text and animations at ludicrous speed. It even lets us skip through those god-forsaken bleeping map segments and door-opening animations!

The other very useful thing about it is that it screeches to a halt whenever there's new or new-ish dialogue to see.

So yeah, I'm going to be skipping (and summarizing) these bits, whether they're entirely recycled or just other people saying the same things. As such, this update is going to cover a lot of ground!

Anyway, after everyone discovers that they all have the same note about supplementary rules, they all head back to Warehouse A, as they did last time...

...but via a different route.

That means you can come visit the lounge, too.

You'd like it, Grandpa.
There's lots of alcohol. They've even got some of your favorite.

Oh ho! Well, that sounds great.
Maybe I'll go have a drink later.

The hell, man? How are you so drat calm?

I can't be sure yet, but there's no way this is all just coincidence.

Yeah. There's even a Zero...

Whatever it is that's going on, we need to get in touch with headquarters, and fast.

Yeah, I agree.
They've probably figured out we're gone by now...

Yeah...

Do you think they'll find us?

Let's hope so.

(How are these two connected...?)

Sigma stealthily slips away, and everyone continues on their merry way.

We are reunited with Zero III, who promptly starts needling Dio.

And then we have to play the Ambidex game!

But, er, then this happens.

The group quickly concludes that K is a hitman working for Clover, whom he has known since childhood. Someone timidly suggests that maybe Luna did it and the AB Rooms have been moved around, but is shouted down for that being a dumb answer that would come out of nowhere.

Then everyone starts wondering about whether the murderer was in fact Zero Sr., and then gets reminded about the time limit and decides to just get on with the AB Game.

Sigma and Phi are the last to leave.

I mean, there was a dead lady in there just a few minutes ago...

What, are you worried there's a ghost or something?

No! No, of course not... It's just...
Doesn't it bother you?

Nope. I don't believe in ghosts.
I feel bad that she died, of course... But there's not really anything I can do about that, is there?

drat... You're pretty cold, you know that?

That's... pretty much the definition of "cold".

Anyway. Let's go.
Looks like the others have already gone in.

VLR OST: [Ambidexterity]

No. Look at the screen. There's something there...

Ghost comment aside, this is pretty much the same as before.

Zero lays out the rules.

The entire spiel is identical to before, except the names and colour assignments are switched around to reflect what actually happened.

One thing that's kinda nifty, I guess, is that even when his lines are all otherwise identical, Zero III always, always,
always uses a different version of this line for each possible version of all of his scenes.

Rock, paper, scissors.

R-Rock, paper, scissors...?

We have to decide who's going to press the button.

And you think that's a good way to decide?!

Just shut up and do it!

Alright, time to v-

-oh, hell with it.

Rock always wins!

Scissors!

Rock!

Damnit...

So what are you going to pick?

I guess "ally"?

We're playing against Tenmyouji.
Do you have any reason to think he won't betray you?

Um...
...I guess not.

If he does, what does that make our BP?

We'd be down to... uh... 1 point each.
But that's not hopeless.
I mean, sure, we'll be a little further away from the goal, but all we've gotta do is earn those points back.

And when will we do that?

Okay, well, I don't actually know.
But it's pretty obvious we'll be playing this game more than once.
After all, we can't get to 9 BP if we don't.

The decision's yours.
Now, decide.
Ally... Or betray.

Three...
Two...
One...

Okay, for real this time! Let's vote!

And yes, in an astonishing break from tradition the Rock Paper Scissors game is rigged in our favour.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

What the hell, Phi? Why's she all laid back this time when before she was all freaking out cause we didn't betray Luna?

Voting Ally cause that's how you're supposed to start out a proper tit-for-tat strategy without poisoning the well right off the bat. And cause Tenmyouji's pretty cool.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Voting ally since Quark is not in the group. So unless Tenmyouji's an rear end in a top hat or something he won't stab us in the back to make sure Quark gets 9 bp like he did with Clover in the last route.

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009

Fedule posted:

VLR continues the proud tradition of having the greatest fast-forward button in videogames, allowing us to breeze through text and animations at ludicrous speed. It even lets us skip through those god-forsaken bleeping map segments and door-opening animations!
Hold on, I thought people were saying that you couldn't skip the map segments/door-opening animations.

Fedule, you wouldn't happen to be lying, would you?

Nah, couldn't be.

Fedule posted:

The group quickly concludes that K is a hitman working for Clover, whom he has known since childhood. Someone timidly suggests that maybe Luna did it and the AB Rooms have been moved around, but is shouted down for that being a dumb answer that would come out of nowhere.

Anyways, more seriously, it looks like this is a route that Phi hasn't gone through some number of times.

Or not one where we get screwed over because of our first ally/betray choice.

Ally time, I guess.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Kgummy posted:

Hold on, I thought people were saying that you couldn't skip the map segments/door-opening animations.

I believe you can speed them up, but only if you've seen them before. So if a scene is different (even if the animation moves you between the same two points), you have to watch it again. And this game can get a little bit weird about which scenes it decides are new or not.

Changamer
Feb 20, 2013
Voting ally because Tenmyouji voted ally his first ambidex game, so I doubt he'll betray us.

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------

Changamer posted:

Voting ally because Tenmyouji voted ally his first ambidex game, so I doubt he'll betray us.

but wasn't his first ambidex game against Quark/Dio? of course he went ally then, but now I that he is by himself up against people he does not care about as much, I think his vote is still up in the air.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Last time in the first round, all the individuals voted 'ally', and the NPC pairs both voted 'betray'. It'll be interesting to see if the same happens again.

Either way, we should ally. Let's follow the Game Theory.

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

It was on this day that his greatest enemy defeated, the true lord of darkness arose. His name? MARIO.
I voted ally since I don't see not to vote ally this time around.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

In the last timeline Tenmyouji voted betray simply to get Quark more points. If we don't have to worry about that this time then it's safer to assume he'll ally with us, I think.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Aww, man. We're never going to betray anyone at this rate.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Speedball posted:

In the last timeline Tenmyouji voted betray simply to get Quark more points. If we don't have to worry about that this time then it's safer to assume he'll ally with us, I think.

It was also the second round and he had 1 point, so he would've been risking death if he had allied.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Voting ally, I guess it makes the most sense for the first round.

I was all set to just vote whichever way Phi was insisting on this time since SHE KNOWS EVERYTHING and all, but she doesn't seem to care much so whatever.

Zoe fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Sep 19, 2013

FishOnAPiano
Oct 9, 2012

Bifauxnen posted:

What the hell, Phi? Why's she all laid back this time when before she was all freaking out cause we didn't betray Luna?
Well we suspect she somehow knows some future paths, and we just saw that EVERYONE DIED when we allied with Luna before...

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Aww, man. We're never going to betray anyone at this rate.

Right? People in this thread are wusses.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

This is the part where I confess that I voted Betray on Luna the second time, partially to be an rear end, partially to mix things up. But apparently some of you wanted to be nice? God, no wonder everybody died.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Funfact: It was like 50/50 for at least fifty votes at the start.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I'm guessing we didn't see that Alice-and-Clover scene last time around? We should try and hook up with them later on.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Glazius posted:

I'm guessing we didn't see that Alice-and-Clover scene last time around? We should try and hook up with them later on.

Aside from the very first scene in this update (ie, the elevator bit), which I showed to make a point, everything I bother to record and write up in full from now on is new.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
I think people find it hard to betray likable characters like Luna and Tenmyougi. Now, if it were Dio or Quark, the decision would be MUCH easier.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Quark hasn't done anything to be likable or not, we haven't seen anything of him really.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Justin_Brett posted:

Quark hasn't done anything to be likable or not, we haven't seen anything of him really.

Unless you believe Dio when he said that Quark wanted to betray. But no one should believe Dio.

distactedOne
Oct 29, 2012
What are you talking about? Dio is clearly the most rational and trustworthy person in the entire group! :v:

dudermcbrohan
May 14, 2013
If we can't trust people as well dressed as Dio is then who can we trust?

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

dudermcbrohan posted:

Circus Ringmasters?

TheArchimage
Dec 17, 2008

dudermcbrohan posted:

People as badly dressed as Alice.

dotchan
Feb 28, 2008

I wanna get a Super Saiyan Mohawk when I grow up! :swoon:

Regy Rusty posted:

Right? People in this thread are wusses.

It's not a matter of being a wuss, it's a matter of sound strategy. :colbert:

Snarxle
Apr 23, 2013
All these votes for ally warm my heart! You guys are good people.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

How hard was it to make that fast-forwarding gif?

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Speedball posted:

How hard was it to make that fast-forwarding gif?

...Not very? Had to thin a few of 'em to fit the filesize but that's as complicated as it gets.

Rune Full Moon
Jun 23, 2005

Jin, did you forget to buy groceries? ... Looks like air for dinner. Again.

Snarxle posted:

All these votes for ally warm my heart! You guys are good people.

Considering the title of the game, that may not be a good thing.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Rune Full Moon posted:

Considering the title of the game, that may not be a good thing.

Yeah, the last time we trusted someone awesome everyone wound up dead, despite that Luna never technically betrayed us. It was the scenario that betrayed us!

dereku
Oct 23, 2010

Open up your senses

Speedball posted:

Yeah, the last time we trusted someone awesome everyone wound up dead, despite that Luna never technically betrayed us. It was the scenario that betrayed us!

Well then let us not trust the scenario not to screw us over and trust our fellow participants

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Spatula City posted:

I think people find it hard to betray likable characters like Luna and Tenmyougi. Now, if it were Dio or Quark, the decision would be MUCH easier.

I'm sure it'd get easier to do it if we ever got betrayed by them. I'm just wondering what the thread consensus is on Quark though, he's pretty much 90% coma.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

ApplesandOranges posted:

I'm sure it'd get easier to do it if we ever got betrayed by them. I'm just wondering what the thread consensus is on Quark though, he's pretty much 90% coma.

Maybe it's just been a while since we've seen him, but when was Quark in a coma? I thought he had ran off for most of the game.

Rune Full Moon
Jun 23, 2005

Jin, did you forget to buy groceries? ... Looks like air for dinner. Again.
ApplesandOranges, if that's information that we haven't seen yet, please edit your post.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
It's a figure of speech, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Obviously Quark was never real. He was inside us all along! That's why he vanished.

• Locked thread