Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.
I'd believe it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Klobbinator
Sep 8, 2013
I must admit I expected way more puns in this game, but I guess not having Junpei as a character would also void 999 from at least half of the puns it has.

On another topic, I know the twist for this game will involve Clover being a Flintstone, and that's definitely not cool. Shame on you, Spike!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

The Klobbinator posted:

I must admit I expected way more puns in this game, but I guess not having Junpei as a character would also void 999 from at least half of the puns it has.

spoilers I guess??? Meow can you say that? Sigma isn't kitten around when it comes to his medicat condition.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Oct 6, 2013

The Klobbinator
Sep 8, 2013

Bruceski posted:

spoilers I guess??? Meow can you say that? Sigma isn't kitten around when it comes to his medicat condition.

spoilers I guess??? I understand that purrfectly meow, I completely purrgot about that; but it still isn't enough for my Zero Escape pun quota.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Oct 6, 2013

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.
I hate you all.

The Klobbinator posted:

I understand that purrfectly meow, I completely purrgot about that; but it still isn't enough for my Zero Escape pun quota.

Hey now, no need to be getting catty.

CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

And let us not forget Zero the III's hare-y bunny puns. I can't blame you if you've forcotton, since it has been a while, but the rabbit pace at which he spewed them out has to count fur something.

So that this post doesn't consist solely of terrible puns, I've posted in this thread before, but I figured I should take the time to thank Fedule for reminding me that this game existed. I'd forgotten all about it, despite loving 999, so finding this thread and reading up to the first puzzle room convinced me to make the splurge and buy this game. I'm glad I did too, those cliffhangers are evil. I'm already reading the Dangan Ronpa LP, I'm not sure if I could handle another cliffhanger-happy one.

On the other hand, reading the speculation in this thread is torture in its own way, so let me just say I'm glad someone's doing irony-posts.

CandyCrazy fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Oct 5, 2013

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

The Klobbinator posted:

On another topic, I know the twist for this game will involve Clover being a Flintstone, and that's definitely not cool. Shame on you, Spike!

If that turns out to be true, then you'll definitely have plenty of rock puns to satisfy your needs.

ProofsNRefutations
Feb 22, 2011
I have to admit that I'm becoming more and more suspicious that Sigma and Phi are robots. They both have greek letters for names, Phi has super jumping powers, they both feel strange since the game began. Alternatively, Phi is totally Zero because a Phi looks kinda sorta like a Zero which seemed to be the kind of reasoning behind half the reveals in 999.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

ProofsNRefutations posted:

I have to admit that I'm becoming more and more suspicious that Sigma and Phi are robots. They both have greek letters for names, Phi has super jumping powers, they both feel strange since the game began. Alternatively, Phi is totally Zero because a Phi looks kinda sorta like a Zero which seemed to be the kind of reasoning behind half the reveals in 999.

But so does a lowercase Sigma. :tinfoil:

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

CottonWolf posted:

But so does a lowercase Sigma. :tinfoil:

But names are proper nouns and would start with, or in this case, consist of in their entirety, uppercase letters.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Nidoking posted:

But names are proper nouns and would start with, or in this case, consist of in their entirety, uppercase letters.

chaos :colbert:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sigma's a robot and so is Zero, and they're going to have a lightsaber duel after Sigma kills Clover. Zero will wonder what he's fighting for.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Endorph posted:

Sigma's a robot and so is Zero, and they're going to have a lightsaber duel after Sigma kills Clover. Zero will wonder what he's fighting for.

So between this, Clover's bugged expressions, and Luna being an Audino, it's becoming increasingly difficult to take this game even remotely seriously. :v:

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

Super Jay Mann posted:

So between this, Clover's bugged expressions, and Luna being an Audino, it's becoming increasingly difficult to take this game even remotely seriously. :v:

The resolution of the plot will involve robotic duplicates of Luna being beaten up over and over and over, FOR THE EXPERIENCE. All the time, the Lunabots will just say "I forgive you, Sigma" and "It's okay, I understand."

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

And then Dio will steal Phi's first kiss.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

ProofsNRefutations posted:

Her name isn't Phi, it's a badly-written Q.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Bruceski posted:

Her name isn't Phi, it's a badly-written Q.

My god! If Phi is Q, then Sigma is obviously Bond -- he's definitely wooden enough, plus he's the hero -- and K is almost certainly one of Q's crazy inventions. It would explain Alice's outfit, too: she's not too underdressed for a Bond girl.

Y'know, lunacy aside, I can actually see Quark as a Nick Nack figure... We only have his word for it that he's actually a kid, after all.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
If Phi is Q, shouldn't she be off pestering Picard somewhere?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Ghostwoods posted:

We only have his word for it that he's actually a kid, after all.

Fedule posted:

Lemme give you a little warning, Tenmyouji.

I'll bet you money he's a born con man.
I donno what he is to you, but if I were you I'd trust the kid as far as I could throw him.
And at your age, that can't be far.
You hearing me, old man? Keep an eye on him.

Dio's a complete rear end in a top hat, but do we actually have proof that he's murderous? Hell, do we even have proof that he wanted to pick betray at all? He does say that Quark is the one that picked betray in the first round, and for the second round he could have simply not trusted Phi... Maybe he knew something we don't? Even if not, wouldn't you be pissed as hell if someone stole what is basically your chance for survival in this kind of situation?

Changamer
Feb 20, 2013

Sentient Data posted:

Dio's a complete rear end in a top hat, but do we actually have proof that he's murderous? Hell, do we even have proof that he wanted to pick betray at all? He does say that Quark is the one that picked betray in the first round, and for the second round he could have simply not trusted Phi... Maybe he knew something we don't? Even if not, wouldn't you be pissed as hell if someone stole what is basically your chance for survival in this kind of situation?

At this point in the game, it's impossible to tell who's lying. I'm gonna guess Quark, because Dio lying seems a bit too obvious.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Side note, I just re-bought the physical copy from a US Gamestop and noticed something unintentionally creepy on the receipt. The title is supposed to be Zero Escape etc, but Gamestop actually has it listed as "Zero's Escape". I just checked online, and the titles are the same there:

http://www.gamestop.com/browse?nav=16k-Zero+s+Escape+Virtue+s+Last+Reward

So, yeah, completely unintentional typo, but it's funny how a couple little words can send a chill down your spine when you're neck-deep in the game.

(Screenshot in case they fix it)

kvltmanifesto
Oct 10, 2012

And then you opened the package and instead of the normal art, the SD card just had ZERO'S ESCAPE written in black sharpie on the front.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

kvltmanifesto posted:

And then you opened the package and instead of the normal art, the SD card just had ZERO'S ESCAPE written in black sharpie on the front.

That's it exactly, were you at the same garage sale with the creepy old man that kept muttering to himself? Come to think of it, did you notice how his face was nothing but a hellish combination of the inky abyss and the most hyper realistic blood you've ever seen? Pretty sure it was punctuated only by glowing red eyes that bore into my very soul as I shakily handed over my crumpled birthday money

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Sentient Data posted:

That's it exactly, were you at the same garage sale with the creepy old man that kept muttering to himself? Come to think of it, did you notice how his face was nothing but a hellish combination of the inky abyss and the most hyper realistic blood you've ever seen? Pretty sure it was punctuated only by glowing red eyes that bore into my very soul as I shakily handed over my crumpled birthday money

Did that old man happen to look like Tenmyouji, actually?

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

ApplesandOranges posted:

Did that old man happen to look like Tenmyouji, actually?

Y'know, I did find it rather odd that there was a save on there already with a play time of exactly 666 hours...

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Instant Grat posted:

Y'know, I did find it rather odd that there was a save on there already with a play time of exactly 666 hours...
You had your DS upside down, genius.

kvltmanifesto
Oct 10, 2012

it was the most terrifying game of sudoku ever played

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
It's not Sigma's turn yet. This time, Junpei is Zero.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

999 OST: [Imaginary]

Listen in: [English/Japanese]

Want? I just came by to check up on you.

Oh. I thought maybe you were here to kill me.

W-Why would I do that...?

Because I betrayed you in the last AB Game.
I'm the reason you and Phi are down to 1 BP.

Yeah, but... that's hardly a reason to kill you.

Maybe...

On this side of the divider, yeah.

This side?

And there's... You really gonna make me say it?

Oh... The lady who was murdered, you mean.

Why is that?

What, isn't that normal?
We found a dead body. Who the hell doesn't get a little freaked out?

Hell, some of you probably don't even remember she's in here...

That's just because we've got a lot of other stuff to think about.

Just trying to survive, huh?
Then don't you think we oughta figure out who killed her first?

What does that have to do with anything?

Ya don't think much do you?

If Zero is one of us...

You saw it too, right? The person in the gas mask?

Did you notice anything?

What?! You and Quark were grabbed together?!

Y-Yeah. Yeah, we were...

Is he your grandson?

So what if he is? Why do you want to know? That doesn't have anything to do with what's going on here.

But what if it does? Maybe it'll shed some light on something else...

I'm pretty sure it won't.

Why's that?

So it's got something to do with you then?

Why don't you just leave me alone?!

Because you're suspicious.

All right, tell me this then: When and where did Zero Sr. abduct you?

Forgive me if I don't feel like spilling my guts to a guy who probably hates 'em right now.

All right. Fine.
I'll just ask Quark.

Hey! Stop it!
Quark! Don't tell him a drat thing!

Whoa, you're getting more suspicious by the--

[Music fades out]

Qu-Quark!

Wh-What...

Move!

VLR OST: [Strain]

With a yell, he shoved me away and ran to the boy's side.

Quark!
What's wrong!
Say something!

Is he breathing?!

Yeah! He's breathing...

Then he just passed out?

I don't know!
Look, that doesn't matter. Just... go find that girl... Luna!
She said she was a doctor, didn't she?
Quark needs a doctor!

R-Right!
Hang on! I'll be right back!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
There's more to Tenmyouji than meets the eye, it would seem.

And something happens to Quark... again... for the first time!

Man, he has bad luck.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Oct 6, 2013

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

And something happens to Quark... again!

Probably the biggest thing to remember is that "again" isn't the right word - it's the first time that's happened as far as anyone (including the protagonist) knows. We basically reloaded a save from an earlier point and are just seeing the same event happen from a different angle.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Wait, so Quark's hat isn't fused to his head? I feel gypped.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

ApplesandOranges posted:

Wait, so Quark's hat isn't fused to his head? I feel gypped.

It's clearly his power source and must remain on his head at all times.

EDIT: vvvvv

That's a pretty decent price. Of course this game takes place in 2028 or whatever according to the intro so you know.

Color Printer fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Oct 6, 2013

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

"I'll bet you a pound of neodymium..."

That seems odd. Neodymium is hardly rare, and isn't a metal typically used for currency, or for, as far as I know, investment. Nd is good for strong magnets, but one pound?

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Zack Ater posted:

"I'll bet you a pound of neodymium..."

That seems odd.

Yeah, that leapt out at me, too. Magnets and lasers, right? Strange substance for someone to suddenly think of...

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Uggh, getting these people to give us info is like pulling teeth! C'mon. Surely Zero already knows everything about everyone here. If he didn't this is a pretty goddamn roundabout way to interrogate people!

...though it wouldn't be out of place for a Mission Impossible episode...

Strike what I said, maybe they really do need to be careful with their info. Check everyone for rubber masks!

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Quick, grab Quark's hat while nobody's looking!

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.

Pierzak posted:

Quick, grab Quark's hat while nobody's looking!

That'll stop him from killing Dio and K with his hat hands. Good thinking.

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

Tennmyouji mentioned in the last route that he scavenges rare earths from abandoned warehouses for a living, so the 'pound of neodymium' thing is just some character flavour. Hope I've helped solve that mystery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Speedball posted:

Uggh, getting these people to give us info is like pulling teeth! C'mon. Surely Zero already knows everything about everyone here. If he didn't this is a pretty goddamn roundabout way to interrogate people!

...though it wouldn't be out of place for a Mission Impossible episode...

Strike what I said, maybe they really do need to be careful with their info. Check everyone for rubber masks!

Well, look at it this way: Ace knew everything about Snake and Clover being in the previous Nonary Game, but didn't know if they remembered or could identify him.

So while it's possible Zero knows things about them, there might be details that Zero is unaware of.

• Locked thread