Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

It's killing me that I feel like so much has happened and yet the moment when everything comes together is so so far out of sight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I love how the thread isn't even surprised by betrayals anymore. There's just resigned acceptance. :allears:

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I love how the thread isn't even surprised by betrayals anymore. There's just resigned acceptance. :allears:
See, at first, I was thinking, "Surely, choosing betray will just be horrible and could possibly kill people and nobody would do that." Then characters kept choosing betray and I went from rage to laughter, because you can't spell slaughter without laughter and we've only had one path littered with bodies and that's just not enough. 999 had several endings where everyone died. We're not meeting our death quota :colbert:

Also, I love seeing the reactions when Sigma chooses betray and I can't wait for us to go back to the Luna path and betray her first thing. I fully expect EVERYONE ELSE to choose Ally and for Sigma to be shunned as an absolute rear end in a top hat for betraying the most adorable and kind person there. :allears:

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Well maybe they'll be surprised by a SURPRISE INSOMNIA-DRIVEN DOUBLE UPDATE!

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Please check your bracelet to see your updated Bracelet Points.

VLR OST: [Desperation]

Why'd you choose "betray"?!
I thought we promised!

Listen in: [English/Japanese]

"We"? I don't remember that.

Wh-What?

You promised me.
You said you'd choose "ally".
But I don't recall promising you anything.
I was free to choose whatever I wanted.

H-Hold on...

I told you I'd make you pay, and now I am.

Huh?

This is your fault. You chose "betray" first.

First...?
Do you mean in round one...?

No.

Uh... Have you lost it?
Take a real good look at the results up there.

I didn't betray you. I've never betrayed you.

Yes you have.
Remember? Don't lie to me, Sigma.

...What?

Know about what...?

What's happening to you.
The strange things you've been seeing.

Do you mean the...

I turned around to see Luna, Clover and K.

It's nothing. Forget about it.

I'm afraid it's not that simple.
You were the only person who chose to "betray" this round.
Is there some connection to what you and Sigma were discussing?

But you wouldn't believe me.

You don't know that. We might believe a lot...

[Music fades out]

So, sorry, but I'm outta here.

Huh? What do you mean?

Do I really have to explain it?

VLR OST: [Consternation]

H-Hey! Wait!

I scrambled around in front of her and threw my arms out.

No! I'm not letting you go!

What happened to you?
I didn't think you were the kind of person who'd ditch the rest of us so you could get away.

I don't think you have the slightest idea what that feels like.

"Betrays your..." Wait, are you saying...

Whatever. Just get out of my way.

No! I'm not moving!

I see. Then you leave me no choice.

As she spoke, Phi bent down...

...Then shot up into the air and over my head. I spun around to see her standing next to the number nine door, her hand on the lever.

Nice try.

She grinned, and tightened her grip on the lever.

Wh-What the hell's that?

It's Latin.
"Applaud! The play has ended!" That's what it means.

L-Latin...?

See you later.

Wait! Stop!

[Music fades out]

Lock no. 08
How can we stop Phi?

And here we are again.

So... where to?

Our choices:

cd ~/magenta/ally/green/betray
Betray Luna after escaping the Gaulem Bay

cd ~/magenta/ally/red
After successfully allying with Luna, go through the Red door with Alice and Clover

cd ~/magenta/ally/blue
After successfully allying with Luna, go through the Blue door with Alice and K

cd ~/magenta/betray
Betray Luna after escaping the Lounge

cd ~/yellow/ally/green
After being betrayed by Tenmyouji, go through the Green door with Clover and Quark

cd ~/yellow/ally/blue
After being betrayed by Tenmyouji, go through the Blue door with Clover and Tenmyouji

cd ~/yellow/betray
Betray Tenmyouji after escaping the Infirmary

cd ~/cyan/betray/red/betray
Betray Phi after escaping the Control Room

cd ~/cyan/betray/blue
After successfully betraying Alice, reject Alice's suggestion and insist on taking the Blue door with Luna and Alice

cd ~/cyan/betray/green
After successfully betraying Alice, reject Alice's suggestion and insist on taking the Green door with Luna and Clover

Fedule fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Mar 18, 2014

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
As amusing as the WTF factor is, I hope we chose a path without a plot lock next time.

I get the feeling Fedule is enjoying this, though.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Mar 15, 2014

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
So. That's how she knew Sigmas name then.

Personally, after Tenmyoujis awesome gut punch to Dio, I wanna get back to his path and figure him out more.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
And yeah, that happened. Really killer update placement Fedule. :smug:

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
O-kay. So... either Phi's remembering a timeline where we betrayed her, even though we haven't done so (yet), or Sigma has some serious gap in his memory. As usual, it's nice to see him as confused as I am.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
I am so loving confused right now.

Watch, if we betray Phi, she'll have allied and we'll get a bad end when she murders us because we're trying to escape.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

Hogama posted:

O-kay. So... either Phi's remembering a timeline where we betrayed her, even though we haven't done so (yet), or Sigma has some serious gap in his memory. As usual, it's nice to see him as confused as I am.

Looks like we're gonna have to make a self fulfilling prophecy and betray her so the timeline she remembers happened exists.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Fedule posted:

I don't think you have the slightest idea what that feels like.

Oh cry me a river, Phi. :rolleyes: Everyone in this game is such a hypocrite.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

legoman727 posted:

I am so loving confused right now.

Watch, if we betray Phi, she'll have allied and we'll get a bad end when she murders us because we're trying to escape.

I'm pretty sure that's what this update implied. Minus the murder that is. Didn't she basically just outright say that in an alternate timeline or some such we betrayed her and so she's just betraying us right back? I like it because that's pretty much exactly what the goon hive-mind decided upon after getting betrayed by Alice.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
You maniacs, you blew it up

Fedule, the last English/Japanese links are the wrong way around.

e: Oh, not only that, the actual Japanese audio in that one is completely wrong.

tiistai fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Mar 15, 2014

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

tiistai posted:

Fedule, the last English/Japanese links are the wrong way around.

e: Oh, not only that, the actual Japanese audio in that one is completely wrong.

I have bollocksed this up tremendously.

I did say this update was insomnia-fueled.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
Nothing fuels paranoia half as well as random bouts of unreliable precognition. I'm looking forward to seeing all the clusterfucks this will cause in the future :allears:

VVV
Let's see what happens if WE are the ones to betray. Judging by the whole "promise" thing, Phi was expecting us to betray before we even walked into the AB room, and I think at this point it would just be rude todisappoint her. Besides, it may clarify if she just sees different possible futures at random moments depending on a path we're on, or if she's actively time-hopping like us.

Aumanor fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Mar 15, 2014

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Aumanor posted:

Nothing fuels paranoia half as well as rendom bouts of unreliable precognition. I'm looking forward to seeing all the clusterfucks this will cause in the future :allears:

The thing is, is Phi doing what we're doing, jumping back in time when she encounters a route she can't proceed through? Because when you think about it like Polygon said. Phi literally did what WE did with Alice, and Alice had no idea why we had chosen to do it.

Phi is another player :tinfoil:

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I'm pretty sure that's what this update implied. Minus the murder that is. Didn't she basically just outright say that in an alternate timeline or some such we betrayed her and so she's just betraying us right back? I like it because that's pretty much exactly what the goon hive-mind decided upon after getting betrayed by Alice.

Yeah, this is what I think just happened. We should go right back and pick betray to that choice.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
So now we're getting punished for betraying Phi even though we have never in fact betrayed Phi. If we betray her, she'll either MAGICALLY pick Ally making us a jerk, or she'll pick betray, and we'll still be a jerk either way.

Thanks, Game.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

As amusing as the WTF factor is, I hope we chose a path without a plot lock next time.

I get the feeling Fedule is enjoying this, though.

Given that going back and redoing things is explicitly part of the game's narrative, I'm getting the distinct impression that every path has a plot lock of some kind or a game over, or more likely, a plot lock BEFORE a game over.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Mar 15, 2014

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

And More posted:

Oh cry me a river, Phi. :rolleyes: Everyone in this game is such a hypocrite.

Luna isn't! :v:

And so far, Tenmyouji, Quark and K are still cool. Heck, Tenmyouji might be the only guy so far who's betrayed us that we didn't get really annoyed at and did a do-over for.

The most annoying part is that there's no way to get Phi to Ally/Ally. It would work really well since K and Clover Allied too, leaving K, Clover, Dio, Quark, Sigma, Luna and Phi all in range of winning.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Yet.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

ApplesandOranges posted:

Luna isn't! :v:

And so far, Tenmyouji, Quark and K are still cool. Heck, Tenmyouji might be the only guy so far who's betrayed us that we didn't get really annoyed at and did a do-over for.

The most annoying part is that there's no way to get Phi to Ally/Ally. It would work really well since K and Clover Allied too, leaving K, Clover, Dio, Quark, Sigma, Luna and Phi all in range of winning.

Yeah, the game pretends like the choice is binary, when in reality it should be quaternary. Maybe there is a really good explanation for it, but right now it seems a lot lazier than even Doctor Who gets.

Also: K is kind of a jerk if you ask me. A Luna, Ten, Quark Escape ending would be the best. It will never happen, though.

And More fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Mar 15, 2014

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

So now we're getting punished for betraying Phi even though we have never in fact betrayed Phi. If we betray her, she'll either MAGICALLY pick Ally making us a jerk, or she'll pick betray, and we'll still be a jerk either way.

Thanks, Game. Consume a phallus.

How many times so far have people like you jumped way too loving far to a conclusion only for the game to quickly go on and explain poo poo? Calm the gently caress down.

Phi says her vote is payback for how we betrayed her in the second round, and (I think) since this is the only time so far where we can actually choose to betray her in round 2 + also the path where we already know about time fuckery, we'll probably end up clearing the plot lock once we go back and betray her. And then we'll commiserate about both of us making paradoxical decisions based on things we haven't experienced yet and go have lunch or something.

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Thanks, Game. Consume a phallus.

Actually, the magical part is that she picked betrayal just now--she would've picked ally otherwise. Looks like those precognitions're part of the problem, not just part of the solution. In fact, this game seems to be showing us the problems of using precognition when multiple timeline exist. It happened to us with Alice, and it happened to Phi.

In the end, we outright shouldn't trust precognition for predicting how other people'll act, particularly when we aren't the only one with precognition. Only thing it's really good for is giving us knowledge of things like the Axelier duplicator.

Also, I voted to go back and betray Phi, not because I want to get back at her but because I want to get it over with.

EDIT: Actually, I just now had an idea of what knowledge might stop her. If Phi really is a robot like people've been speculating (after all, she has superhuman abilities like she just displayed right now), then she might have a shutdown/override password or something like that.

EDIT EDIT: Not that overriding someone's free will leaves a good taste in my mouth, but it's better than having one person escaping on her own and screwing the rest over.

Kaja Rainbow fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Mar 15, 2014

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005
I hope the Betray option ends/plot locks quickly, getting kind of tired of just choosing the other path. I wanna see what else happens in the "everyone dies" path, dang it!

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Damnit, people, we're going to have to go back and betray Luna at SOME POINT. We might as well do it NOW for maximum assholery.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Poland Spring posted:

I hope the Betray option ends/plot locks quickly, getting kind of tired of just choosing the other path. I wanna see what else happens in the "everyone dies" path, dang it!

Well we gotta find the password for that to happen.

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005

Onmi posted:

Well we gotta find the password for that to happen.

nooo I mean betraying Luna on that path. IT'S THE ONLY WAY TO SAVE HER

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Poland Spring posted:

nooo I mean betraying Luna on that path. IT'S THE ONLY WAY TO SAVE HER

How will betraying her stop Clover/Dio from killing her?

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Shei-kun posted:

Damnit, people, we're going to have to go back and betray Luna at SOME POINT. We might as well do it NOW for maximum assholery.

No. :colbert:

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005

Onmi posted:

How will betraying her stop Clover/Dio from killing her?

With a different reaction to what we vote for, she may avoid the fate she encountered. Though chances are it was the Radical virus just making her kill herself, and NEITHER ONE OF THEM did it.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Oh man, when I got to this point, it was the first time someone referenced events that hadn't taken place, as I hadn't done the whole Alice switcharoo yet. I had no clue what the poo poo was going on.

Is it too late to post this? :v:

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Heck, that idea came up way, way back in the thread.

Wild Knight posted:

...Motherfucker. That's how Phi knows everything, isn't it? She's just playing Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward within Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward.

We just didn't have evidence this strong at the time to support the idea.

Also, an ironic statement from upthread when we chose this path:

ApplesandOranges posted:

That would make option 2 the best choice though - Sigma and Phi can come to an agreement to double Ally and Luna'd be willing to go with it.

Phi, on the other hand, didn't seem particularly willing. But she has reasons, y'all.

Nidoking fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Mar 15, 2014

Wild Knight
Mar 27, 2010

Foul villain! I do not flee. I will never turn my back on you and run away!

[he says, running away]
BOOM, random speculation!

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Is it too late to post this? :v:

I don't even know how to respond to this.

unfair
Oct 6, 2012
Well, theoretically the number 9 door is still locked in the last shot - so not everyone has to die after the lock. For all we know K could incapacitate Phi before she pulls the lever. That'll be an interesting one to break through.

I still want to know what's up with her superjumps though.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Well, there is that whole "is someone a robot" question that's hanging out there.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Green Intern posted:

Well, there is that whole "is someone a robot" question that's hanging out there.

Also the "Possibly the Moon" stuff that people speculated. but honestly that almost feels like "On the gigantic" to me, more than likely, artificial lower gravity... What? It's nowhere NEAR the most unrealistic thing in the Zero Escape games.

might be wrong
Oct 11, 2012
This thread is so predictable--anytime someone screws us over, the first option to betray them back is gonna win by a landslide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?

Onmi posted:

Also the "Possibly the Moon" stuff that people speculated. but honestly that almost feels like "On the gigantic" to me, more than likely, artificial lower gravity... What? It's nowhere NEAR the most unrealistic thing in the Zero Escape games.

I'm going to be so mad if the big twist of this game was that we all somehow walked around this facility for hours without anyone realizing that we were in one-sixth Earth gravity.

• Locked thread