Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I'm half surprised that Sigma didn't get stuck by gawking gormlessly at the door until it was too late to get through it. But hey, at least he did offer a logical excuse (understandably, it doesn't mollify the ones left behind to die).

Dio's got some nerve accusing other people of being dicks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Dio's accusing the other people of being selfish pricks while they also try and plead and give excuses about how they're not being assholes. He, on the other hand, doesn't care and owns up to his own dickishness.

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

Finding out what to do with only 5 minutes of life, the long number string, who planted the bombs and how to log into that computer weren't so important after all. We're out and we're breathing in that fresh hard vacuum(?) and affording ourselves outrageous luxuries like root beer floats and scrap metal.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

They picked exactly the wrong character to try and guilt trip us. See ya, Clover!

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I'm half surprised that Sigma didn't get stuck by gawking gormlessly at the door until it was too late to get through it. But hey, at least he did offer a logical excuse (understandably, it doesn't mollify the ones left behind to die).

He almost did, Phi had to drag him through.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

LupusAter posted:

Fedule, I see you've learned well from Dragonatrix's LP when it comes to absolutely evil cliffhangers...
(I haven't played the game, so this isn't a spoiler in any form, only my impression.)

To be fair, nearly every single time the game waits for you to press X would qualify as an evil cliffhanger - it's certainly a masterpiece in that respect

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Sentient Data posted:

To be fair, nearly every single time the game waits for you to press X would qualify as an evil cliffhanger - it's certainly a masterpiece in that respect

Fedule posted:

Please check your bracelet to see your updated Bracelet Points.

Could you imagine if this was the entire update? :allears:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

SSNeoman posted:

They picked exactly the wrong character to try and guilt trip us. See ya, Clover!

To be fair I don't think Clover has done all that much wrong this game. Other than just being generally incompetent at her job, I guess. And we just threw her to the dogs right after her best friend died and after we suggested to ally. I guess it just prove's that the title of this game is correct. :v:

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Betraying Clover here really does feel super-lovely since it's kicking her in multiple ways while she's already down, but there's no guilt tripping like a Luna guilt trip

Fedule posted:

I trusted you...

Goodbye.

Luna's face twisted as she spun away, but not before I saw tears glistening in the corners of her eyes.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

I'm hoping this turns out to be like the Submarine ending and we wind up randomly getting killed before we make it outside. Or we make it outside and then get hit by a truck out of nowhere. :unsmigghh:

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Dio's little speech inspired me.

I'm sure it's been done before.

Edited to fix the sound effects and some other things

Tarezax fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Oct 1, 2014

Fates End
Oct 17, 2009

Tarezax posted:

Dio's little speech inspired me.

Edited to fix the sound effects and some other things

That is loving amazing.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Tarezax posted:

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Listen in: [English/Japanese]

Is that a hallway?

Only one way to find out!

VLR OST: [Anxiousness]

Oh...

This must be the prep room...

I think I searched this place with Dio and Luna...

Well, this is probably just another one that looks like it.
You really think you would have been able to get to something on the other side of the number nine door?

Hold up. You know about the one on floor B too?

Yeah. I visited it with Tenmyouji when we were looking for Quark.

Huh.

...What?

Oh, you didn't.

What are you talking about?

Didn't I just say what I'm talking about?
The air inside this facility is kept at a higher pressure than the air outside.
Apparently, they're doing it to keep the virus from getting in.
If you're leaving, you have to lower the pressure until it matches what's outside.
This room is where you prepare for all of that.

They keep you from getting infected once you're outside.
You have to put one on before you can go into the pressure exchange chamber downstairs.

How do you know all that...?

Luna told me.

Really...?
Wait, why did Luna know all that?

Apparently it was all in a manual she found in a room we searched.

Hm...

Well... I wouldn't say it's mysterious.
I think it's that Radical-6 thing Alice was talking about. Don't quote me on that though.

That sounds... bad...

[Music fades out]

Let's get those suits on and head outside.

No argument here. Let's do it.

We climbed into the protective suits in silence, then headed down to the pressure exchange chamber.

999 OST: [Riddle and Puzzle]

Then,out of nowhere, Dio spoke up.

I never thought I'd succeed so easily.

It took me a moment to realize his voice was coming from the speaker in my helmet. Apparently the radio was designed to activate automatically.

You mean getting out of here?

No, you're thinking too small.
Hmm... I guess I can tell you who I really am.

What?

You see, the thing is... I'm a hero.
I was sent here from far away to save mankind.

What? Too surprised to speak?

Uh, Dio... I think maybe you should... calm down a bit.

We're all excited to be getting out of here, but...

Never mind. You're clearly too small-minded to understand.

We were still going back and forth when the quiet hiss of air escaping slowed...

...and stopped.

A door at the end of the room slowly ground open.

We walked through to find ourselves in a nearly identical room.
After two more decompressions, the last door finally opened.

[Music fades out]

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Oh man did radical six turn the moon red?? :ohdear:

Alopex
May 31, 2012

This is the sleeve I have chosen.
I'm less surprised by what appears to be the loving moon than I am by Dio, what the gently caress is his deal?

Is he an alien? I would not be surprised.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
IT's /Dio./ Why're we taking anything he says at face value, again? :P

LupusAter
Sep 5, 2011

Well, Dio does mean "God" in Italian, so...

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

quote:

...This looks familiar.

Welp. Nice knowing you guys.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Wait, we're actually on the loving moon. Okay... I suppose.

Also, Dio is clearly fall of poo poo. Or possibly delusional.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Oh man, did Radical 6 turn the Earth red?? :ohdear:

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

My first thought was that they're not on Earth anymore, and Dio knew that, explaining his "sent here from far away" thing. That would mean the suits are because there's no or not enough breathable air, rather than because the air is contaminated. I don't know where there would be a single visible red celestial object in the sky, though, and you'd think the different gravity would have been a hint.

Earth's moon is red sometimes - during a lunar eclipse or if there's a lot of smoke in the air from forest fires - and there could also be filters on the helmet, so I think they probably are actually on Earth and Dio's just delusional, but... :ohdear:

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Wait, we're actually on the loving moon. Okay... I suppose.

If that red cratered thing is supposed to be Earth up there, there's bigger problems to worry about. It's more likely that this is Earth, and the red moon is because of a total lunar eclipse. Wasn't there a thing about lunar eclipses in one of the puzzle rooms?

Also hazmat suits are NOT vaccuum-rated, so I think they'd probably notice really quickly if there was no air outside.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Oct 2, 2014

xeose4
Sep 22, 2014
Forgive my disgusting ignorance, but couldn't that be Mars, given artistic liberty on the size?

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

If that red cratered thing is supposed to be Earth up there, there's bigger problems to worry about. It's more likely that this is Earth, and the red moon is because of a total lunar eclipse. Wasn't there a thing about lunar eclipses in one of the puzzle rooms?

Also hazmat suits are NOT vaccuum-rated, so I think they'd probably notice really quickly if there was no air outside.

Well, as far as the suits go, would Sigma actually know that the suit he just put on shouldn't be vacuum-rated but apparently is anyway?

That aside, I do think they're probably on Earth; the Lounge had a magazine that said there would be a total lunar eclipse at 4:50 PM UT on 12/31/2028, which Sigma thought would be six days after he was abducted.

If they were actually in Nevada (when they were in the garden there was a map that had 'Nevada Test Site' on it), that'd be 9:50 AM, and it wouldn't be that dark outside at 9:50 AM in December, though. (And it can't be "the forest fires (or nuclear fallout) so intense that that's the sun" because I think I see stars in the sky.)

xeose4 posted:

Forgive my disgusting ignorance, but couldn't that be Mars, given artistic liberty on the size?

"It's Mars, just drawn extra big to make it obvious" should still have it be a lot smaller than the red thing, probably no bigger than a quarter that size. Also, the red thing looks about right to be the moon in Sigma's vision of the base exploding. (Link goes to when they found the bomb in the crew quarters, not to when he first had the vision/hallucination/whatever, because I can't find that post.)

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
But where did Dio put his hat? :ohdear:

Fates End
Oct 17, 2009

zonohedron posted:

If they were actually in Nevada (when they were in the garden there was a map that had 'Nevada Test Site' on it), that'd be 9:50 AM, and it wouldn't be that dark outside at 9:50 AM in December, though. (And it can't be "the forest fires (or nuclear fallout) so intense that that's the sun" because I think I see stars in the sky.)

I think the Nevada Test Site was from 999.

Level Seven
Feb 14, 2013

Wubba dubba dubba
that blew.

Megamarm

curiousCat posted:

But where did Dio put his hat? :ohdear:

A true gentleman never removes his hat.

So it's probably in a pocket in the suit. :v:

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Dunno about you guys but I'm really freaked out about how the stars repeat! This must be some kind of mirror trickery.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
wtf Dio. Nothing he has done would indicate heroic intent. UNLESS. There's a possibility that he knows something that he thinks is so important that it's potentially worth the lives of 8 other people. Like, say, the origin of Radical-6.
It would be a hilarious twist if Dio turned out to be a good guy in the end.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

xeose4 posted:

No. If you're on Earth then Mars is a red dot. If you're on the Moon then Mars is still a red dot, the difference in distance is negligible when talking about the distance to Mars. For it to look that big we'd need to be on one of Mars's moons.

There was supposed to be a total eclipse a few days after we were kidnapped, and that's what the moon looks like during one since its illumination is limited to light bent by Earth's dusty dusty atmosphere. I watched it myself when we had an eclipse earlier this year, and I'm pretty sure I wasn't on the moon.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
Well, looks like another desert and a nice lunar eclipse. It does seem like its more polluted, the more nasty stuff in the air the more likely the moon will be red.

xeose4
Sep 22, 2014

Bruceski posted:

No. If you're on Earth then Mars is a red dot. If you're on the Moon then Mars is still a red dot, the difference in distance is negligible when talking about the distance to Mars. For it to look that big we'd need to be on one of Mars's moons.

There was supposed to be a total eclipse a few days after we were kidnapped, and that's what the moon looks like during one since its illumination is limited to light bent by Earth's dusty dusty atmosphere. I watched it myself when we had an eclipse earlier this year, and I'm pretty sure I wasn't on the moon.

So the only way that's Mars is if we're in Phobos or Deimos. Got it.

Also I never noticed the moon looked red during an eclipse. Must be a Southern Hemisphere thing, but it at most looked vaguely yellow.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

xeose4 posted:

Also I never noticed the moon looked red during an eclipse. Must be a Southern Hemisphere thing, but it at most looked vaguely yellow.

If it were Phobos or Deimos, Mars would be gigantic, they're significantly closer to Mars than the Earth is to the Moon.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
So, is Dio

- a psychotic ringmaster?
- the leader of the Myrmidons?
- a hero sent from far away?
- an alien?
- a giant bag of dicks?

Who knows?!

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

theshim posted:

So, is Dio

- a psychotic ringmaster?
- the leader of the Myrmidons?
- a hero sent from far away?
- an alien?
- a giant bag of dicks?

Who knows?!

He could be all those other things and still be a giant bag of dicks. :colbert:

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Looks pretty clearly like the moon as seen from the southern hemisphere.

e: I think it's also been mirrored somehow.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

xeose4 posted:

You pretty much need a perfect total lunar eclipse for a red moon, otherwise the spillover white light from the sun drowns out the color. The one I saw was more of a deep burnt orange, but I've seen pictures of it blood red in the right conditions.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Fates End posted:

I think the Nevada Test Site was from 999.

If they're on the same continent as Nevada, i.e. "a map might show both this place and that one", unless they are sufficiently far north that it is always dark, it won't be dark at 4:50 PM UTC. That's the only reason I brought up the map.

Interestingly, there will be a lunar eclipse that day. It doesn't look like it'll be visible from North America at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

zonohedron posted:

It doesn't look like it'll be visible from North America at all.

As if that's ever stopped localization teams

• Locked thread