Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

EclecticTastes posted:

[...]
If Sigma is a robot who merely simulates dying of tubocurarine when exposed to it, how does this knowledge prevent him from doing so again in one particular timeline?

1.Not knowing you are a robot means his reaction will be equal as long as he hasnīt gained the insight because he was programmed to or believes to die for it must be so, if he is sick, right?
2. Assuming that a morphogenetic field trigger is related to Sigma gaining the insight, maybe something is missing to trigger the specific insight? I donīt remember it particularly well, but he doesnīt access all alternate memories at the same time, does he?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

EclecticTastes posted:

I mean this in the nicest way, but don't step to me about Star Trek TNG. Data is well aware of his status as a machine, and all of his perceptions are colored by that. He's aware of his processes and subroutines, and is not at all subject to even simulated biological phenomena of most kinds. But we're getting off-track.

If Sigma is a robot who merely simulates dying of tubocurarine when exposed to it, how does this knowledge prevent him from doing so again in one particular timeline?

You are correct about Data, but in the episode Inheritance there was another Soong-type android that was not aware of her own nature, and in fact encountering a situation where she might find out triggered a alternate operating mode, which could conceivably work here.

I don't believe Sigma is one, though. I think the universe-hopping works better as a psychic phenomenon involving biological beings.

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
Yeah, I don't think Sigma's the android here.

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011

Zack Ater posted:

He promised someone else that he would tell Sigma, so presumably the person to whom he made that promise told it to him. Either this happened before the memory loss and he remembered along with the rest of his memory, or it's happened since he remembered.
Fair enough. I don't see how it could be since his memory returned, unless it was Dio before he killed him. He shouldn't have seen anybody else. Another possibility would be one of the other players, earlier during the game, even the Old Lady. But whoever it was knew Sigma could cross timelines, or the information would be pointless to receive now.

Zack Ater posted:

While he could have gave it in a less cryptic way (I presume you're talking about the whole "when you see a two-headed lion eating a sun" thing), I'm guessing it's because throughout the game there's a ton of imagery of lions and suns, so phrasing it this way might encourage an association that helps Sigma remember it in a different timeline.
Sigma was able to remember both a series of random digits and letters to break the code earlier. I suspect the answer is less in game and more author's license: this way is more dramatic and gives the player a puzzle, instead of saying "this is the password to the white terminal, you know, the one with the scratch on the top left corner."

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Mr.Misfit posted:

1.Not knowing you are a robot means his reaction will be equal as long as he hasnīt gained the insight because he was programmed to or believes to die for it must be so, if he is sick, right?
2. Assuming that a morphogenetic field trigger is related to Sigma gaining the insight, maybe something is missing to trigger the specific insight? I donīt remember it particularly well, but he doesnīt access all alternate memories at the same time, does he?

You're not explaining how Sigma could save himself with the knowledge that he's a robot. What evidence has been shown in the game that a robot could override its own programming, as you seem to be suggesting?

Additionally, you're still misunderstanding how things work in this game. Sigma isn't accessing the morphogenetic field (as Junpei did in 999), he's moving through it. Based on Phi's explanation, we're only controlling one Sigma, and that Sigma is experiencing all the different timelines. However, when he jumps, he can't access all of his memories easily (they're in cloud storage rather than the local hard drive, to borrow a recurring analogy), and needs something to knock them loose. It's stated that with practice, he'll be able to recall more and more memories, more easily.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Unrelated to speculation and what may or may not be speculation, I decided to pick up ZTD since it was on sale.

Holy poo poo, this game. :stare:

Seriously, if you wanna play it, just fork out for VLR on Steam, that game spoils this one on premise alone.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

EclecticTastes posted:

You're not explaining how Sigma could save himself with the knowledge that he's a robot. What evidence has been shown in the game that a robot could override its own programming, as you seem to be suggesting?

Additionally, you're still misunderstanding how things work in this game. Sigma isn't accessing the morphogenetic field (as Junpei did in 999), he's moving through it. Based on Phi's explanation, we're only controlling one Sigma, and that Sigma is experiencing all the different timelines. However, when he jumps, he can't access all of his memories easily (they're in cloud storage rather than the local hard drive, to borrow a recurring analogy), and needs something to knock them loose. It's stated that with practice, he'll be able to recall more and more memories, more easily.

Where has that been stated? That sounds like information from outside the game.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Reel it in EclecticTastes. There's no fair way for you to have this conversation.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

ApplesandOranges posted:

Where has that been stated? That sounds like information from outside the game.

This update, right here.

quote:

You and I seem to be able to jump from branch to branch.

Of course, our bodies aren't doing the jumping.
Our consciousnesses just sort of... dive into other versions of ourselves in other worlds.

The only way I can post in good conscience in this thread is to have carefully cataloged which facts are and are not presently known, so if I say that something has been established, you can trust that it has.

Regy Rusty posted:

Reel it in EclecticTastes. There's no fair way for you to have this conversation.

I've already posted all the relevant facts, so there's nothing more for me to add to the topic.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

ET, seriously take a loving chill pill.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Will anyone who has played the game please not participate in or attempt to guide legitimate blind speculation, kay, thanks.

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016

PMush Perfect posted:

ET, seriously take a loving chill pill.

I can understand your reasons for wanting him to stay out of this, but he did nothing to warrant that language.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

OddHaberdasher posted:

I can understand your reasons for wanting him to stay out of this, but he did nothing to warrant that language.

I dunno man. "Don't step to me" is pretty inflammatory language

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

OddHaberdasher posted:

I will point out this is the second time he's gone "WINK WINK NUDGE NUDGE" all over the thread, and I don't think the last time was even three updates ago.

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
Okay, first of all I don't see 'don't step to me' or a similar sentiment in his last two posts, just pointing out things stated in something already posted in order to correct someone. I disliked ET's 'wink,wink nudge,nudge' as well, and agree that someone who has already seen/knows about the plot shouldn't post 'speculation' or 'gentle hints' but he merely explained knowledge we already were told nearly three years ago to correct someones misapprehension and then defended himself against PMush calling spoilers. None of that was inflammatory OR 'wink,wink' and indeed PMush's language certainly inflamed me to defend ET.

Getting back to topic....I think that 'Sigma' is not a robot. I also think that 'K' is not a robot.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I'm thinking OddHaberdasher is the robot because jesus christ

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug
Can anyone remind me what mention/evidence of Quantum Malarkey has popped up in game (if there has been any)?

What I'm wondering is: given the existence of both humanoid robots and clones, what reason is there to believe Quantum Malarkey is involved in this in any way, besides the fact that 999 set it up?

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Oh my god will you all just drop it before I break out the holidays.

Speculators should be allowed to get things wrong, and should not be "helped" by people who have the benefit of full hindsight.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Some Strange Flea posted:

Can anyone remind me what mention/evidence of Quantum Malarkey has popped up in game (if there has been any)?

What I'm wondering is: given the existence of both humanoid robots and clones, what reason is there to believe Quantum Malarkey is involved in this in any way, besides the fact that 999 set it up?

Phi and Sigma talked about Schrodinger's Cat, which seems to be the explanation for things like how changing our vote from Ally to Betray made Alice change from Betray to Ally.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
The real question we should be asking is whether Quark's hat is better than Dio's.

OddHaberdasher
Jan 21, 2016
Quark is just trying too hard with that hat, I mean if you're wearing an aviator hat you're either a pilot or a poser in my opinion. Dio's hat is suitable for many purposes and gives an all round 100 points of asshattery. Dio's hat fits, Quark's doesn't.

Vexrm
Feb 2, 2009

Full of hot raspberry jam blooded passion.
I'm secretly hoping Quirk's Hat is virtue's last reward. Virtue, how do we earn points to gain your rewards? Is it a daily log in thing or something?

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
Dio's hat wins simply because it actually fits on the radiation suit. You try putting Quark's hat on that.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Vexrm posted:

I'm secretly hoping Quirk's Hat is virtue's last reward. Virtue, how do we earn points to gain your rewards? Is it a daily log in thing or something?

It's a gatcha. You can buy more rolls or get one a year for free

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Both pale in comparison to Seven's beanie.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I have a friend (not me) who is stuck in the game and isn't sure what hotspots she needs to proceed. Where's the spoiler thread I can ask? Can't find it in Games.

Edit: Never mind, got it!

Podima fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Apr 5, 2017

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Oh my god I can't believe I reached the end

Count me as yet another who binged the thread in a matter of days; I just played through 999 and VLR for the first time with their release on Steam (after having played ZTD first back when it released, not knowing it was the third of a trilogy until it was too late) and then binged the 999 LP thread and this one because I just can't get out of ZE headspace.

Anyway mostly what I want to say is that this is a phenomenal effort and incredibly fun to watch, especially to see all the poo poo I glossed over my first time through. Excited to see the rest!

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Fedule posted:

Oh my god will you all just drop it before I break out the holidays.

i could go for a holiday tbh

OddHaberdasher posted:

Okay, first of all I don't see 'don't step to me' or a similar sentiment in his last two posts, just pointing out things stated in something already posted in order to correct someone. I disliked ET's 'wink,wink nudge,nudge' as well, and agree that someone who has already seen/knows about the plot shouldn't post 'speculation' or 'gentle hints' but he merely explained knowledge we already were told nearly three years ago to correct someones misapprehension and then defended himself against PMush calling spoilers. None of that was inflammatory OR 'wink,wink' and indeed PMush's language certainly inflamed me to defend ET.

you're a brain-damaged moron who wouldn't know inflammatory language if it punched you in the mouth and pissed on you while you cried

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

mandatory lesbian suddenly felt a sharp pain in the wrist

"The second drug...
Tubocurarine..."

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
reopening this thread was a mistake

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Y'all are scaring away the updates

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Virtue posted:

Y'all are scaring away the updates

Let it be your last reward

*gets shot*

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

I think we're just dreading being subjected to more Clover, to a goon.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

AweStriker posted:

I think we're just dreading being subjected to more Clover, to a goon.

I like Clover! :shobon:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Clover is a good girl and only murdered us once. There are much more hateable people in the series. :colbert:

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
I've been thinking of reading this LP again since I never finished it, but drat how long IS this game? Gonna be a thread 4 years in the making soon.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Clover is a good girl and only murdered us once. There are much more hateable people in the series. :colbert:

She never murdered anyone!

Parallel universes which may or may not have even happened at all don't count :colbert:

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Putty posted:

I've been thinking of reading this LP again since I never finished it, but drat how long IS this game? Gonna be a thread 4 years in the making soon.

To be fair, updates just resumed recently after the thread was abandoned for about a year. We've basically got one path left, then cleaning up remaining plot locks and heading into the ending.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

whitehelm posted:

To be fair, updates just resumed recently after the thread was abandoned for about a year. We've basically got one path left, then cleaning up remaining plot locks and heading into the ending.

Fingers crossed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.
If anyone has a hankering for more VLR while we wait for Fedule, I recommend checking out the LP on youtube by dragoneye13. The guy does a good job talking about his thoughts and theories on the game, and most importantly, does not do a voice for Sigma or the narration. It's frankly criminal how few views he's gotten, so definitely check him out (if you don't mind spoiling yourself that is - as I post this, he's very near the end of the game).

First video is here, though he also did a part 0 recap of 999.

• Locked thread