Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Seems that Clover betrayed Alice intentionally, judging by her reaction.

If she hadn't, Alice likely would've been upset at just K.

"And I'll have him talk the exact same way that I do! It's GENIUS."
"Which will make him think I'm lying, and let Quark deceive him again!" :tinfoil:
I think it's just Dio being a jerk, though.

If we do find out the truth, I doubt we'd find out soon.

Wild Knight posted:

Why can't we see Sigma in these shots? Is that important, or is that the game specifically taking every possible measure to anonymize Sigma, to the extent of not showing not only his face and his voice, but his model?
Is it going to turn out Sigma is Phi and it's an unreliable narrator thing?

I'm just going to guess they didn't finalize having Sigma having any portrait or something until after the did the scenes. Unless we're seeing it through Sigma's eyes, and he decided to stand off to the side for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
We've already seen the next set of door - red, blue, and green. Absent some other kind of rules-fuckery, it seems like we're stuck with Alice this time around.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Green Intern posted:

Sigma is the cameraman.

Well yeah, it's first person view. Sigma is just standing to the side and is also suddenly 15 feet tall/levitating.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
"Oh, by the way, I forgot to tell you, you can't go through a Chromatic Door you've already gone through."

kvltmanifesto
Oct 10, 2012

Wild Knight posted:

Why can't we see Sigma in these shots? Is that important, or is that the game specifically taking every possible measure to anonymize Sigma, to the extent of not showing not only his face and his voice, but his model?
Yeah, I found it pretty distracting when I played through. But apparently it's just standard practice for visual novels. I'm pretty sure most of them are the same way.

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.

Yeah Bro posted:

Seriously? The safest choice is to keep teaming up with Luna, because the others will die if they ally and get betrayed. If we go with Tenmyouji or Alice, they'd probably betray us just to make sure they don't die; Luna is the only safe choice if we want to get 9 BP. Course, we'll probably get a bad ending for not saving everyone, but at least 3 people'd make it out fine.

I didn't mean safest for us, I meant safest in terms of keeping everybody alive. It's definitely a bigger risk for us to pair up with someone with 1 BP, but the net gain for the entire group will likely be bigger if we do.

Bachus
May 31, 2011
I just want to jump in here and say great LP. And that this voice acting is amazing.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

kvltmanifesto posted:

Yeah, I found it pretty distracting when I played through. But apparently it's just standard practice for visual novels. I'm pretty sure most of them are the same way.

Cake Attack posted:

It's another one of those VN conventions meant so that the main character can be more of a cypher for the player. Just like the lack of voice acting for Sigma.

You guys should keep in mind that the Zero Escape series is basically a spiritual successor to the Infinity series (its head writer was one of the main writers for those games and 999 reused a ton of plot twists and setting elements from those games). The Infinity games really loved messing with your expectations by having standard visual novel devices actually be hiding or foreshadowing major plot twists. The whole "you can't see the protagonist because this is a visual novel" thing was played with extensively in Ever17 to great effect where for about half the game you're not even who you think you are and another character is actually who you think you are pretending to be the character who is the player perspective in the other half of the game. Usually if there's some unnecessary convention being followed, it is because the game is screwing with you (like the "large box for narration, small box for character dialogue" format in 999 actually having Akane's perspective on events the entire time).

Yeah Bro
Feb 4, 2012

Phelddagrif posted:

I didn't mean safest for us, I meant safest in terms of keeping everybody alive. It's definitely a bigger risk for us to pair up with someone with 1 BP, but the net gain for the entire group will likely be bigger if we do.

So, let ourselves lose 2 BP in order to bring someone else up to 4? Could work, but then you have to consider what the other groups are doing; both K+Clover and Dio+Quark only need 3 BP to get out, if they manage to trick someone into allying with them (I bet Quark is a sneaky betraying bastard, ready to back stab anyone if need be) then they'll have 9 and be able to leave, meaning that we and the rest of the group'd be up poo poo creek. Anything but self-preservation is too dangerous to consider with the current amount of unknown variables.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I suspect we'll be swapping pairs or colors soon to keep things unpredictable (and a chance to be in a room with Dio, Quark, K, or Clover).

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Autumncomet posted:

I suspect we'll be swapping pairs or colors soon to keep things unpredictable (and a chance to be in a room with Dio, Quark, K, or Clover).

Yeah, "soon."

At the very least, the colors have already changed.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Yeah, and Quark has the other blue Pair, which means we're gonna team up with that backstabbing, lying little bastard. :tinfoil:

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Terper posted:

Yeah, and Quark has the other blue Pair, which means we're gonna team up with that backstabbing, lying little bastard. :tinfoil:

If you're referring to that animated gif with the updated numbers, that was from before the colors changed (note Sigma still being red.)

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
That's not blue. It's Cyan.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

^^ Blue, cyan, whatever.

King of Solomon posted:

If you're referring to that animated gif with the updated numbers, that was from before the colors changed (note Sigma still being red.)

Ah, right. Didn't notice.
So, uh... who do you people want us to team up with?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Terper posted:

^^ Blue, cyan, whatever.

Ah, right. Didn't notice.
So, uh... who do you people want us to team up with?

If the colors and pairs did change no clue.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
If we go with 999's tradition, the true ending would most likely be one where we will solve puzzles with all other eight persons.

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

I shall admit my wickedness.

Fedule posted:

I'll bet you money he's a born con man.
I donno what he is to you, but if I were you I'd trust the kid as far as I could throw him.
And at your age, that can't be far.
Dio might be a worse jerk than his Brando namesake, but he sure knows his way around words.

Another pet peeve about replaying the game: this particular update is mostly skippable, except for the part where Zero predicts the deaths of the players (which depend on the people with 1 BP in this round). Always caught me off-guard after a good chunk of skipped dialogue.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
That is kind of minorly a spoiler? Edit maybe?

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Yeah I'd edit that out to be safe.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
It's...really not a spoiler to suggest that the results of the first round of the AB game will be different when the opponents are different. Keep in mind that every pair/solo combination changes when you take the other doors. That's not a spoiler, Phi pointed that out before we chose the Magenta door.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008
You only have to mash A for those couple lines before you can autoskip again. It's not like 999 where you have to go through the entire scene because a couple lines are different.

Fall
Jun 6, 2011
The scenes in 999 are also shorter than those we've seen so far. I'd take 999's "autoskip" over those loving beeping dot animations any day :suicide:

xxlicious
Feb 19, 2013
Dio's version of the story doesn't really add up: if he's really telling the truth about Quark being a backstabbing little bastard, it would be in his interests to keep quiet about it and act the villain to make other people trust Quark in order to expedite future betrayals. As it is, telling that story about Quark only serves to create reasonable doubt about his own trustworthiness by making Quark seem like the villain. He still needs other people to ally with him if he wants to gain anything from betrayals, after all.

I also much prefer Rie Kugimiya's rendition of Quark's speech, and Quark's dialogue in general. She makes him sound all innocent and adorable and childlike while spouting those evil, evil lines, creating a very creepy dissonant effect, instead of the English version where it's a very heavy-handed, muahaha villainous mastermind kind of delivery. No subtlety or originality there.

I really wish we could choose to set individual characters to one voice track or the other. For most of the characters, either voice works quite well, but I strongly prefer the English version of Tenmyouji (badass grandpa instead of "doddering senior citizen", I believe someone called him earlier) and the Japanese version of Quark (cute instead of just... bratty and bland). Also, holy drat Zero III never stops chewing the scenery. I really appreciate the efforts to liven up the exposition, and it IS pretty entertaining, but the Japanese version feels more subtly menacing. The English version makes me pay far more attention to the actress than to the character itself; every time I listen to her I can practically see the voice actress hamming it up and having the time of her life in a recording booth, instead of getting immersed in the character. Also the loving cackling really gets on my loving nerves. It's a great PERFORMANCE, to be sure, but that's the problem with it, I believe. It's very obvious and in your face about the fact that it's a performance.

Some Strange Flea
Apr 9, 2010

AAA
Pillbug

xxlicious posted:

It's very obvious and in your face about the fact that it's a performance.
Akane's tiny child old self found the whole "sinister abstract presence" thing just so boring last time, so I'm guessing Zero III is so cute and chipper and wacky for the benefit of any kids whose ADD brains are along for the ride.

i.e. us.

xxlicious
Feb 19, 2013
I do like that it's cute and wacky! It's all very fun and entertaining, and I do think that it's an improvement over how Zero was pretty much a non-character in 999. It's just that the Japanese version still has that fun wackiness without being so completely over-the-top to the point that it gets distracting and immersion-breaking. Well, to me at least. I keep focusing on her vocal patterns and anticipating what kind of tone she's going to use next, because she's being so blatant and deliberate about her delivery. I still find it really entertaining though, irritating cackles aside.

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011
I wonder how(if at all) we will get assigned new pairs. If we get to choose(one can always hope), it is everyones best interest to keep Phi and Siggy together because you know Phi will betray if she is not with us, and enter next door with Alice, then have Ten and Luna pair up and go through the door with Quark because Ten won't betray Quark, and Quark will be able to choose for himself, and leave Dio with K and Clover, and gently caress'em.

Medieval Medic fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jun 5, 2013

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Medieval Medic posted:

I wonder how(if at all) we will get assigned new pairs. If we get to choose(one can always hope), it is everyones best interest to keep Phi and Siggy together, and enter next door with Alice, then have Ten and Luna pair up and go through the door with Quark, and leave Dio with K and Clover.

I'd probably actually pair Ten and Quark and group them with Luna - if Ten and Quark are separate and Quark is indeed a backstabber he could just Betray again and doom Tenmyouji. With Ten and Quark together, even if Quark betrays it's just helping Ten, and Luna can afford the point hit. The problem of course is that Quark just wins if that happens.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

ApplesandOranges posted:

I'd probably actually pair Ten and Quark and group them with Luna - if Ten and Quark are separate and Quark is indeed a backstabber he could just Betray again and doom Tenmyouji. With Ten and Quark together, even if Quark betrays it's just helping Ten, and Luna can afford the point hit. The problem of course is that Quark just wins if that happens.

For them to 'win' they have to physically reach the door and pull the lever - since Quark is a kid, it probably wouldn't be too hard to restrain him.

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008

Wolpertinger posted:

For them to 'win' they have to physically reach the door and pull the lever - since Quark is a kid, it probably wouldn't be too hard to restrain him.

We still haven't seen how Zero would react to physical violence, though. Trying to restrain him could get you penalised.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
24,009,004,897?

Ok, that has to be something, but googling it seems a very bad idea if you want to avoid spoilers. It isn't random, because it is a prime number.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Fat Samurai posted:

24,009,004,897?

Ok, that has to be something, but googling it seems a very bad idea if you want to avoid spoilers. It isn't random, because it is a prime number.

I remember this being in the OP, but it bears repeating: do not google anything related to this game. You will be spoiled.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
EDIT: Derpity derp derp derp.

Aerdan fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jun 5, 2013

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Fat Samurai posted:

24,009,004,897?

It's worth mentioning they changed this number in the translation. In Japanese, it's 24494897.

Hyperteck
Mar 21, 2013

Aerdan posted:

The only possible significance (aside from information that may come up later...assuming something does come up later, which I don't know having not played VLR) is that the digital root is 9, primeness aside.

Actually, its digital root is 7. There's no such thing as a prime number with a digital root of 9, since every number with a digital root of 9 is a multiple of 9.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

orenronen posted:

It's worth mentioning they changed this number in the translation. In Japanese, it's 24494897.

That's not a prime. Oh, well, there goes my theory.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Zandar posted:

We still haven't seen how Zero would react to physical violence, though. Trying to restrain him could get you penalised.

Someone was murdered and he didn't say a thing.

Spyros
Apr 28, 2013
That murder might have been part of his plan, though.

Spyros fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jun 5, 2013

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
Huh, I had just assumed that number was simply a joke that it was the largest value that was storeable in whatever format the round number was put in. I guess it'll be relevant some point later.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Someone was murdered and he didn't say a thing.
I'd assume it was part of his plan, considering K said/theorized as much. At the very least Zero III doesn't doesn't care one way or the other. I guess it might be 'didn't have a bracelet, wasn't part of the game'.

Though Zero III did seem to imply that he already knew the death caused the bracelet to come off, much in the same manner as calling out Phi about knowing the death rule of the AB game. So either the murder victim had a bracelet and Dio took it; Something similar to the captain situation in 999. Or Dio knows more about the Nonary Game than he's letting on.

Don't really have enough to go off at the moment.

One other thing I noticed was that Tenmyouji kinda reacted badly. So there's probably a connection there. Similar to him and Quark. I can't tell if Quark knew her or not, though. So she could be anything from Ten's wife or a coworker.

Assuming that this Nonary Game's Zero Sr. was targeting specific people as happened in 999, I'd guess Dio and Tenmyouji were picked out. Possibly for different reasons. K might have been selected on purpose, but no idea considering he doesn't even have his memory. And we don't even know what he looks like at all, under all that metal.

I've got a theory as to who/what K is, but I keep thinking it's a bit too far fetched to be true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I assume K isn't a robot though because the bracelets require a heartbeat.

• Locked thread