Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

dscruffy1 posted:

So what's the mindfuck hook for this one? 999 had the idea of passing on information through the collective unconscious, but either I haven't been playing close enough attention or it hasn't come up yet for this one.

Well Phi is getting her information somehow or other, presumably either through time travel shenanigans or metamorphic fields. Then there's whatever's going on with Quark, and the fact that some or all of the cast are probably robots and/or the apocalypse happened after they got kidnapped.

Of course these are all clues we as the players are picking up on, I'm kind of curious to see when the characters themselves are going to begin to realize it. It's a little weird they haven't even really tried to figure out how they might all be connected yet, and the only people who seem to have actual information (Phi and Clover) aren't exactly being helpful.

I have to say this game isn't doing Clover any favors, she was sooo much more likeable in 999.

edit: Also we'll never find the bloody body of a little kid knifed in a corner since there's no way the game will go there, so Quark is clearly the murderer as he's the only one immune from being a murderee.

Zoe fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jul 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
I'm sure it's been brought up before, but we've already had references to quantum computing and Schrodinger's Cat, and we've got a kid named 'Quark' on the cast, so I'm guessing the obligatory mindfuck this game is centered around will involve all that?

I really feel for whatever writer was told, 'now explain quantum physics, but in, like, one paragraph of exposition, and in a way that the average teenager playing a DS will understand'.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Yeah, I really don't understand why she's being so tight-lipped about having been through all this poo poo a couple times before, and that's part of what's pissing me off about her, in a life or death situation like this a person with important information REALLY shouldn't be withholding it...at least last time she had the excuse of Snake making her promise to keep quiet or whatever.

If one of the others IS secretly Zero I'm sure they already know all about her, I don't really see the point of keeping the whole thing a big secret because she's 'not sure she can trust you'.

Honestly, if nothing else I imagine she'd be all "Pfft." :jerkbag: about the threat of deadly injection instead of reacting with shock exactly like everybody else...a needle and a permanent nap's not exactly intimidating compared to the threat of being exploded and being locked in an incinerator and expected to make contact with the future to survive.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Eeepies posted:

Was Dio correct? Did Quark betray Ten knowing that Ten will ally?
Did Quark and Ten set this up? Did Ten pick ally knowing he's going to get betrayed, giving Quark the chance to exit?

I love this theory because if Quark was told to betray him but hide the reason it means Dio's idiotic story might actually be the truth. :allears:

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
If I was in a group with a killer and I was the only one knew exactly who they were, you can be drat sure I'd call a meeting and make a general announcement about it. Even if nothing comes of it, gonna make them look mighty suspicious if I turn up dead half an hour later, and presumably they'll realize that.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Initially I read the graffiti as 'if the nineth lion ate the gun', which seemed slightly more ominous. It still looks more like a g than an s to me but I guess I'll take the game's word for it. v:shobon:v

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
I would really like to know what just happened. That can't be an actual ending, right? I'm going to just assume we're being messed with because of Fedule's love of cliffhangers.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Oh come on Zero games, after the '9' is 'q' incident last time I'm onto your bullshit, you know drat well that says 'dio'. :colbert:

edit: okay yeah probably wouldn't have bothered to post that if I'd realized this last page existed

Zoe fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Aug 25, 2013

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
So I take it we're going to get zero answers about the plague and any robots, mummies, and/or time travelers that might be running around this time?

This path is weird, there's no supernatural stuff or mind fuckery at all, just lots (and lots and lots and lots) of murder.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
So they've more or less come right out and said that Sigma is a gaulem now. I mean, 'everyone is robots' has been a popular theory, but I didn't expect confirmation this early on.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Speedball posted:

I guess he's just getting that from the "mental processing speed slowing down" line.

She.

But that, and also the '...And where had something like mental processing speed dropping come from?' line where Sigma specifically points out that those are pretty weird terms to be thinking in.

Whatever's going on with Phi is way more impressive though and that's what I want to know about it. She has amazing powers or drawing logical conclusions from things ('key fits in key-shaped hole!') and can also superjump and is maybe a time traveler who knows everything? They kind of dropped those little bits of weirdness after the early part of the game though, and of course Sigma is never ever going to be curious enough to ask.

Anyway, to focus back on the latest update, this whole twist of 'Surprise! Dio the rear end in a top hat turns out to be a huge rear end in a top hat' and 'K the decent guy continues to be a decent guy until he gets killed by an rear end in a top hat!' is falling a little flat for me. This is the sequel to 999, there's got to be more to it.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Wait, wait, you mean you don't have to replay half the game again and resolve all the exact same puzzles just to pick a different path? But that makes so much sense, it's like it's not a visual novel at all.

Anyway, I voted go back to the beginning and hang out with Ten. Maybe we even can prevent the situation with Quark if we spend enough time stalking him to find out what he knows, most of the bad stuff this path happened because of that little brat getting all weird and disappear-y on us.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Fedule, post one screenshot per update.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
The .gifs of the passwords went as far as 'cur' and 'fou' ...'CURE FOUND'?

And hmm, Phi's reaction to the Radical 6 chat wasn't suspicious at all. 'She knows everything' indeed...

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Will Fedule post again or won't he? :ohdear: He's getting all meta with this cliffhanger business now...

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Voting ally, I guess it makes the most sense for the first round.

I was all set to just vote whichever way Phi was insisting on this time since SHE KNOWS EVERYTHING and all, but she doesn't seem to care much so whatever.

Zoe fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Sep 19, 2013

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Well gently caress.

...though to try and be fair, nobody knows about the whole zero points=death thing yet. As far as we know.

Ten better have a drat good excuse though. :mad:

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
drat, Clover is cold. "We aren't trying to blame you...for the fact that we betrayed and nearly killed you."

Hopefully she's safe for at least one more round, I can't imagine Phi allowing her to vote ally against certified betrayer Ten with both their lives on the line.

Nice to see Dio is still a douchebag, I wonder if he's going to try and frame Quark in every path...and he and K teaming up should be interesting.

It's amazing how this whole path can take on a completely different feel from the last one just based on the very first vote...I'm betting things go downhill fast in this one. Everyone is such an untrustworthy rear end in a top hat now, and even the few decent ones don't have a reason to vote anything but betray. :(

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Anybody have a link to the old Remember 11 LP? I always meant to check it out after Ever17 but never got very far into it...kind of have an urge to read it now while I wait for an update to see who gets murdered this time around. I could have sworn I had it bookmarked at some point, but can't find it now and it's not in the LP Archive either.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Awesome, thanks. :)

I have platinum, but 'Remember' and '11' are an annoyingly generic pair of words when you're trying to search for them...

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
I hope Alice hurries up and gets murdered again so we don't have to look at her dumb outfit anymore.

Even when she's standing next to Clover I can't get over how bad it is.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
If Phi is Q, shouldn't she be off pestering Picard somewhere?

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Wow, Dio is managing to act somewhat like a decent human being.

Or maybe it's just the fact that he's not making puns that makes him look good in comparison.

...I just don't know what it is about Clover in this game, but every time I see her she just infuriates me. I wish we really could smack that ditzy smile right off her face. And she was so awesome in the last game. :(

Right now, all I can think is she's either the worst secret agent that ever existed...or this is all an act and she's actually the best.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Endorph posted:

Not Dio, a poster in this thread. 'Let me give her a smack' is a step removed from 'Smack that ditzy smile right off her face.' Probably should have quoted them to make that point clearer.

That stupid smile never leaves her face, ever, no matter what the situation is. I think I've finally pinpointed it as the main reason I hate her now.

She's grating on me this much in a game, I think I would actually have to slap her for real at some point if I was in a situation that serious IRL and she was just constantly making dumb jokes and withholding vital information and looking at me with that face.

And I know it won't happen, but I would laugh really hard if at some point Phi does it for me, or Luna or someone otherwise calls her out on this poo poo.

Maybe this game is just aimed at guys and you all think it's cute or something, I don't know. (Actually, looking at Alice's outfit again...duh, of course it's aimed at guys. And Alice just as guilty of the whole withholding information thing, but at least she manages to have a serious expression once in awhile...so yeah, I guess it really does all comes back to that awful smile for me.)

edit:

ApplesandOranges posted:

Unless Alice dies again, in which case she'd probably flip everyone the bird and throw the switch.

Oh god I so want to see this now. Or at least I hope there's something somewhere on one of these paths to rival Axe Ending, it would help to redeem the character for me. Though you just know she'll be smiling as she does it. :smithicide:

Zoe fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Oct 13, 2013

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Yeah, like I said, I think it really is just the smile. 999 had more than it's fair share of awful, awful jokes and puns, (no children were dying of deadly contagious viruses, but people were still exploding and stuff, so there was never a point when jokes were exactly appropriate) and I can't remember disliking any specific character there.

And Phi I'm still trying to figure out, so at the moment she's legitimately interesting outside of her snarkiness and dumb bursts of humor. Obviously she knows something (possibly even EVERYTHING), which means she might have a reason to not worry or care as much about some of the others, only I can't tell yet if that's just on certain timelines or what.

Dio says dumb things too and is an rear end in a top hat but somehow he does it in a way that makes him extremely likeable. I think it's the top hat.

Zoe fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Oct 13, 2013

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Mister Roboto posted:

-The first pages had people constantly worrying about the fate of the first people with only 1 BP, Tenmyouji and Alice.

Except not Tenmyouji and everyone just cared about Alice. Seriously, it's funny, reread pages 2 and 3 and all the guys are so, SO worried... about the hot woman only.

Yeah, that's especially weird considering Alice is a mummy made of ice who can freeze or thaw herself at will, thousands of years old and also a robot - clearly that weird shirt-necklace thing is solid gold and thus super robot strength it's the only explanation for her being able to stand upright and walk around while wearing it. So she can probably do an okay job taking care of herself, guys!

Just...as long as knives aren't involved. :(

Bruceski posted:

He's a big boy, he can take it.

To get serious a moment though, besides Luna and maybe Sigma, K seems like the most decent human being out of the bunch so far. Even with half the other characters openly suspicious of him he never take offense and seems to be genuinely trying to be helpful, and he gets major points for having the sense to (allegedly) do CPR on Luna, even if it didn't work. I think another part of the reason I'm inclined to like him too is the 'amnesia + freakin gigantic' combo naturally brings Seven from the last game to mind. I'm going to be sad if he turns out to be evil...though at the same time, 'Dio, the obvious douchebag, turns out to be a murderer too, boy we were sure right to not trust that guy, weren't we?' seems a little too obvious a 'twist' for a game like this...

Though honestly, I don't want Dio to turn out to be evil either. :(

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Sigma is the dream of a dying city. He will sort through his daddy issues and save the world through the power of underwater soccer and epic high-fives.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Quick now someone make an Inception joke.

...are we missing anything else?

Mister Roboto posted:

Spoiler: Rosebud.

That had nothing to do with a dream, you ruined our streak. :argh: No one heard him say 'Rosebud' anyway, so how did it make the front page? It was all a lie, just a conspiracy to distract the sheeple from the deadly rampaging virus and the robots hiding among us. :argh: :tinfoil:

Zoe fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Oct 16, 2013

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Quark is a puppet being controlled by his hat, which is a robot that fires tiny missiles. You heard the game--it's canon now.

And whew!, I sure am glad we found the cure! I admit I was getting a little worried there, but everything will be fine now and no one will die. :)

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Just as long as he doesn't start making puns about rabbits.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
:psyduck:

Please, please tell me those girls are all just cosplaying at some kind of convention or something.

Or at least tell me they don't go to, like, the grocery store or the bank looking like that.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Mister Roboto posted:

You've never heard of Shibuya and Harajuku? Those are sectors of Tokyo where everyone dresses up to stand out like that. Kind of surprised you'd act like you haven't since almost all crazy Japanese fashions and styles started there, i.e. the whole gothic lolita look.

I guess when I think of subcultures with bizarre fashions I think more of punks or goths, not specifically one where grown women (or teenagers or whatever) dress up in this weird mix between a small child and a doll and an anime and then sexualize it. Oh well. It's probably a lot of fun putting together new outfits at least.

As for the cast of the game, in light of everyone's respective outfits I'm modifying my 'they're all robots' theory to 'Clover, Dio, and Alice are robots, hastily dressed from the bombed out remains of a post-apocalyptic costume shop by a rabbit AI who has only a vague understanding of how clothes work'. Really, it's a miracle none of them wound up with pants on their head.

And Quark's hat has already been explained by the game itself. Don't question it, or you will be shot by tiny missiles.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Who has the syringe gun dealy Luna was killed with before, and could that presumably be used to get the bracelet off Sigma? Though he passed up so many perfectly good opportunities to get the vial off of Dio, or at least let the others know that it's hard to believe he'll suddenly be capable of thinking that creatively.

Anyway, the body count has been disappointingly low this run, and the whole tone of the game still doesn't feel quite as intense as 999. Sigma hacking of his own arm and then beating Dio to death with it would certainly spice things up, but sadly our protagonist isn't nearly :black101: enough.

Though he was getting there when he started going after Dio even after being drugged...it's just a shame Dio actually handed over the medicine instead of getting strangled. I would have loved to see a scene something like Ace and Snake's final showdown.

...really they should have just brought Snake back and made the whole game from his POV. He was 200% more awesome than anyone here this time around, and think of all the money they could save by not needing graphics.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
So at some point in an alternate reality/the past/the future, Alice gets stabbed while outside on the grass, and Phi and Sigma get blown up while on the moon. Am I following that right?

....oookay. I know I've been waiting impatiently for this game to step up the weirdness to 999 levels, but drat. :f5:

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Phi just told Sigma that hitting zero BP kills, is he supposed to turn around and knowingly almost murder Alice now? Sigma's a decent human being okay? <:mad:>

Though the game does seem to be pushing really hard for that betray option this route...

Allying non-stop really is a simple solution that's in everyone's best interests, too bad we're never going to see any of these characters take advantage of the ample amounts of time they have to sit down and rationally discuss that as a strategy, too busy splitting up constantly and murdering each other.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
It's interesting how the game seesaws back and forth between people being more or less decent and then those same people turning into horrible jerks you could happily watch die and then back to decent again on another path.

I'm still not too happy with Alice, a simple apology upon her realization she almost killed us would have gone a long way, and 'you're an idiot for trusting me and I have to avenge the death of my father so it's totes okay I threw you under a bus' is not one. Also if she wanted to wear clothes so bad then she should have gone and done that before she got kidnapped. :mad:

They almost managed to make Dio seem like a human being again but we know better now and I'm sure it's going to turn out he murdered his dad or blackmailed him into committing suicide or something because that's just how he rolls.

Ten's comments pretty much confirm some kind of major weirdness with Quark, but I think we already knew that.

Zoe fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Nov 24, 2013

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

From Ten's comments, I suspect that either Quark is smart and is past elementary school already, or he's actually a lot older than he looks.

Didn't someone at one point theorize Ten was actually from some kind of post-apocalyptic future because of some comment he made about 'finding' a factory full of valuable metals? So let's not jump to conclusions, I'm sure all he meant is that a kid Quark's age should be in elementary school, but they're all closed at the moment because of the plague and robot takeover.

Zoe fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Nov 24, 2013

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
I wonder if Sigma's going to have another freak out episode now that he's discovered the...cylinder thing from his flashback.

I mean, it's horrible! It's really scary!

Look how scared she is. :v:

I think I'm going to have to go with whoever suggested that that woman planted the bomb, I can't see how else it could have just mysteriously not been there on the other paths. Still no closer to knowing who killed her...or anyone else for that matter.

If I had to take a wild guess I'd probably settle on Dio, but even after all that business with the medicine he still just seems just too drat obvious to be the main villain.

Ten definitely seemed to know the woman earlier, so I guess it's possible he knows something about what she was doing there. We've been giving him a pass all this time even when he was betraying and withholding information because all the other jerks were doing the exact same thing with way less of an excuse than protecting their grandson, but maybe we should be taken a more serious look at him as a suspect.

I wonder if they intended players to find this path first? Sigma's vision and now the bomb and the various other weird things they've been hinting at seem like they'd make a better introduction to the game and its stakes than what we originally got.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Someone give this guy his Stupid Newbie av back, I think he might need to hang onto that adorable little baby a couple weeks longer at least.

Also, Fedule, we've generously allowed you several days to spend 'quality time' or whatever with your family and eat turkey (assuming you're not some kind of filthy commie or something), can we please get back to Sigma making cat puns now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

dscruffy1 posted:

I think this is worth the response that Fedule is doing this piece of entertainment pro bono and therefore his update schedule is as he pleases. Even if that does mean taking extended breaks, even if that does mean we're jonesing right meow. We haven't "generously allowed him" poo poo. He's generously playing this game I have no intention of buying and I'm rather thankful that he's playing through it for me.

No, no, no, you don't get it, I am standing outside Fedule's bedroom window with a canister of gas and a rabbit puppet right now. I have been here for nine days. Any time he does anything that doesn't involve posting screenshots so I can find out wtf is going on with all these plague-ridden moon robots, I am patiently and generously allowing it out of the kindness of my heart.

And I bought 999 after the last LP but that ain't gonna happen with this one because I love my faithful plain ordinary DS and I will not be swayed by some fancy schmancy third dimension, ever. :colbert:

quote:

Koos has always been here, in one form or another.

whoops okay I apologize for feeding him then

• Locked thread