Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

I want to unpack the things we know right now but I'm really worried about unintentional spoilers. Is there someone I should PM to screen it? I have no knowledge at all about anything about this game beyond what we know from 999 and so far in this lp.

I know nothing of the characters or any of their motivations or anything but I feel like I can unpack a substantial amount of speculation based on two facts we've been presented with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Cake Attack posted:

Two facts that were presented in the game and not the thread? Go ahead, speculation is hardly against the rules. It's not a spoiler if you don't know it's true.

I mean, if you really want you can PM me, but I'd just end up spoiling you if your speculation was right.

e: Also, you're almost certainly wrong, no matter how right you think you are :v:

Heh, I'm glad of that.

I'll just go with it then:

Zyla's Thinking Way Too Hard About Words: Part the First*

*who knows if more of these will come to me :v:

Trigger warnings: :spergin::words:

So this game is the Nonary Game: Ambidex Edition.

We can unpack Nona - Nine. It's a new edition of the same game we're familiar with. We again have nine characters, each with a three and a color on their bracelets.

If we assume nine to continue to be a theme, then it seems obvious that it will take three people to open a door. 3+3+3 = 9. We don't know if there will be different numbered doors. I feel like the colors and the blending of them will be significant to the opening of the colored doors as someone has already pointed out.

Ambidex is the really interesting word to me.

That Zero 3 makes this the Ambidex edition calls a lot of attention to "Ambidex". It seems clear that it is a descriptor of the game to the point where Zero III is comfortable drawing the theme around it.

Since the last game seemed to work with a lot of puns, and even the title of this game (and the title of the LP :tinfoil:) operates on that theme, then it seems to stand to reason that words are really important and will probably have multiple meanings - (see: 0 being the o bracelet, the 9 being a q in the incinerator.).

The two parts of the word are "Ambi" and "dex". Ambidextrous/Ambidexterity comes immediately to mind - this generally refers to the ability to use either hand interchangeably with some skill.

"Ambi-" is a root that invokes versatility - it means AROUND, ABOUT & BOTH.

Ambidextrous is the most obvious word constructed out of it.

Amb/Ambi also forms other really important words:

Amble - leisurely moving around - We're certainly going to do a lot of moving around. Leisurely is interesting. Could be significant as to the level of danger everyone's in, or the priorities of Zero III.
Ambition - eagerness for achievement and honor - Motivation for this nonary game?
Ambiguous - uncertainty - "Ambidex" is ambiguous :v:
Ambit - another word for boundaries - Limitations on the game's activities? More rules?
Ambient - Surrounding - Describes their imprisonment? Someting surrounding them? Ambient is often used as a descriptor of sound to imply the sounds we hear when everyone is being vocally silent. This could be significant as well. Something in the background we can't see unless we pay attention?
Ambivalence - an attraction and repulsion working together. "I don't care but I still need to pay attention to what's going on" A descriptor of Zero III's opinion of this game? We speak of Valence when it comes to electrons - the push and pull of chemical reactions? This might be significant for any underlying :science: going on here. (which given 999, is almost certainly the case still, in my opinion)

Dex(tr/o) is root that generally refers to the direction or orientation of the right.

Ambidextrous technically means able to use both of your arms as well as your right. (Left-handed author's note: :arghfist: drat you latin and your dextronormative words!)

The bracelets are on everyone's left hand (had to go back and check). The location of them could be significant, given the "ambidex" signifier. (I swear if this is significant I'll go all 999 Clover Axe end on this writer :black101:)

Significant words that involve "dex" that come to mind

Index - a directory containing correct information, something that both sorts and catalogues things. - Could refer to the bracelets themselves as somehow repositories of data.

Dexterity - generally refers to agility and skill. Could be a requirement of the puzzles or the game more generally - application of specific skills, or really complex motor functions from the players.

Dextro - a descriptor of a compound in chemistry. If there's science to be found this could be significant.

----

So with all that said let's tie it together. Ambidex could be a mashup of many of these words and intentionally invoking and evoking their implications into the design, motivations, and consequences of this Nonary Game. It could be a short version of "Ambulatory Index" or "Ambidextrous Index" or even more simply just "Ambidextrous Edition.

We can't draw any conclusions whatsoever, so this probably makes none of this a spoiler (and I have no clue at all what is to come, can't stress this enough) nothing definitive but potential exists for this nonary game have significance regarding these potential interpretations of Ambidex.

:tinfoil: theories:

The bracelets are versatile, changeable, useful for many different things. I'm choosing to interpret the Dex to mean index and the index to be the bracelet - although I'm sure there are alternative interpretations as well for the significance of the "dex" root.

Unresolved Questions: May be possible to switch them between players or switch the values each player currently has or might have? Can the pair/solo value be changed? Will they change automatically as part of the mechanics of the game? Does someone have control over the information displayed on them?

"Ambulatory Index Game" would imply to me a movement of players and data from place to place, which seems so self-evident given our prior exposure to this in 999, but it could refer to the bracelets and what is on them to move about in some fashion.

"Ambidexterous Index Game" is a bit similar in meaning to the Ambulatory interpretation, but implies more of a mechanical or manual slant to the system of the bracelets. Maybe something to the thought of "you can do this game with both hands".

"Ambidexterous Game" could mean anything but require equal skill and flexibility from each side.

"Ambiguous Index Game" implies mystery as to how the bracelets work.

What does side mean in this context? Between players? Between factions?(999 callbacks: innocents vs guilty? players vs zero? Zero Team vs non Zero team?)

Additional Bonus Color :spergin::tinfoil: : I feel like the color combinations with 9 being a requisite value is surely a solution to at least the colored doors in front of us. Perhaps ambidex refers to the partners being changeable, or the groupings of 3 being changeable to make the colors and numbers align.(Calls back to the theory someone else had about the two partners being stuck with each other and a solo being a wildcard to make the color blend (you can make most any color with Red Blue and Green, which are the three potential colors of the bracelet's displayed data.

The color of the doors are possibly but at least look like Cyan Magenta and Yellow, which is the basis for a second color system for displays (with its missing but inherent blacK "CMYk". Why is black missing? or is it not actually missing? Black can be a combination of all colors together at their maximum values 255.255.255 is black in an 8-bit RGB binary color system.(255 = FF = max possible value for 8 bit hexadecimal binary coding) Yet there are 256 values- Zero is also a value :tinfoil:)

On a white canvas, zero values for each color give you white. On a Black canvas(Darkness), max values(colors) give you white. In painting, zero is white - a combination of colors gets you closer and closer to black. In light, zero is black - a combination of all colors on the visual spectrum gives you white light (we know this because a prism can split light into every color.)

Yeah thats a ridiculous amount of speculation about :words:

bean mom fucked around with this message at 21:04 on May 26, 2013

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Spyros posted:

I don't think he necessarily has to be a 999 character, although I can imagine Snake sounding like that. It's also easy to draw parallels between him and Seven (large and amnesiac), adding to the "visual shorthand" mentioned in a previous post.

I suppose Zero can't be the girl that reminds me of Akane - this surprise can't work again. Maybe it's the little boy and his weird hat allows him to control Zero III via some amazing brainwave technology that everyone but Sigma will have heard about.

A big thank you from me to Fedule as well. This is shaping up to be great.

Robot Monk (he is definitely dressed in the clothing of a Buddhist Monk - the clothing is possibly significant, and the "blind monk" is a cliche for sure) could very well be Snake. After all he is paired - and look who he is paired with. Wouldn't that be really hilariously appropriate? We know that Snake had some cybernetics already, it wouldn't be surprising for that tech to be carried forward or expanded upon to a full exoskeleton.

And anyone that thinks Alice isn't the lady Junpei's crew found in the desert is almost certainly wrong given her immediate recognition of Clover. The egyptian motif in her clothing and her makeup - the solid turquoise coloring over the eyes is absolutely consistent with ancient egyptian style - the use of makeup, and specifically that color is common in depictions of how people would look in that time.

bean mom fucked around with this message at 21:16 on May 26, 2013

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

A couple things on the June/Luna speculation:

They have absolutely identical standing postures, down to the position of their arms. Their bodies look extremely similar. The only real difference is the styling and coloring of their hair.

June and Moon are common rhyming words, and Luna is the diminuative of Lunar, which refers to the Moon.

From 999's true end:

The ending of 999 in the flashback has it ending at sunset. What rises in the sky after the sunset, in the next phase(read: next game)?

The moon.

Luna?

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

I'm excited for the mindfuckery to come, because these conclusions seem to be too obvious and simply figured out, although maybe having 999 fresh in my mind is priming me for this game.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Super Jay Mann posted:

The June codename is specifically an English localization thing and her original codename (Murasaki) has nothing to do with any of that.

hrm, I remember reading that but "June" had such significance, it felt like it was on purpose. The doll, after all is what gets her killed, and what saves her life at the same time. And it was named June. It felt like a perfect and appropriate callback and reveal. For it to just be a localization thing is weird to me, although I believe you.

just makes me think June was a plot relevant name. I wonder just how much rooting around the localization did. Because that was pretty genius. I wonder how that final sequence translates in the original japanese.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

They....probably called the doll Murasaki in the Japanese? v:v:v I think you're kinda overselling this.

Yeah probably. But that's the fun of this. :D

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

All I can say is wow to the current poll results.

Also I'm feeling pretty smug about my effort post being nearly completely right on everything so far :smugdog:

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Maybe Tenmoyouji has a really huge estate and quark wants a piece of that sweet, sweet inheritance earlier.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Ometeotl posted:

Phi's plan was pretty clever, but it would have been better if she made K promise to outside as well, as then he would default to Ally and there's no worries that he'll betray her.

He'd die if he couldn't get in to vote.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Male Man posted:

Only if both teams don't vote. If one of the two abstain they just default to Ally.

quote:

Not voting is not an hoption.
If both parties refuse to vote...
...then everybunny gets penalized!
In other words, one person out of every color group of three has to vote.

Ah, you're correct.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

I'd bet a ton of fake dollars that Luna's gonna betray here.

Because it makes way too much sense for her to Ally.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Medieval Medic posted:

Yeah, I have decided that Dio is the killer. He is just such an rear end in a top hat and his words reek of lies.

It's way too obvious, though.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Green Intern posted:

P-RTY = Party

Well at least the Andrew W.K. bot was made...

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

dunno why we're worrying so much about this, we just loving won :smugdog:

later gaters

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Well since we won, I want to congratulate Fedule on a stunning work of LP.

It's been a thrill to read.

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Luna had it coming

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Fedule posted:

Hello thread. This isn't the next update, but I thought you all might like to know that the Final Year Project in whose name I derailed this thread for several pages a while back has gone through the relentless process of Academic Assessment and my supervisor and her second-opinion-haver have stamped it with a classification of First Class, which is basically the poncy academic way of saying "A". So it wasn't all a gigantic waste of time!

I still can't believe I managed to graduate based on a project based (almost entirely) on a videogame.

Let's Graduate by Fedule :toot:

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Sentient Data posted:

I guess it assumes nobody would ever ask how many anuses someone has, but that means Google needs to check its privilege (though it's interesting that it apparently tries to compensate for grammar/typo, even with one other unicode character already present in the source text)

in some universes it's important to know

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Dr. Stab posted:

So I guess that's the end of the LP. Congrats Fedule.

well done

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Oh man did radical six turn the moon red?? :ohdear:

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

SgtSteel91 posted:

Was that long string of numbers that Sigma first found on the briefcase the Key needed for this plot lock with Alice?

also interesting are the discrepancies between alice's description of the Myrms and their Org and Dio's.

alice talks about left as the leader, but dio says left died and that hes a clone of left.

this means something!

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Artix posted:

In the ~40 days since the last update, we recorded (among other things) the entirety of Chapters 12 and 13 of FF13. There is a reason that you haven't seen an update and spoilers, it's not because Fedule hasn't been around. :ssh:

it's because he's a lazy gently caress

HOW DARE HE TAKE TIME TO ENJOY THINGS BEFORE PROVIDING US WITH INCREDIBLE FREE ENTERTAINMENT :argh:

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

sweet, siggy got a date out of this room!

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

maybe its just a romcom on the actual titanic in the actual 1940's

with pidgeons

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Zero sr. sure looks an awful lot like Sigma but just old

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

amazing all the people that vote to be good people when the game's name is literally "good people die"

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

SyntheticPolygon posted:

We can time travel though so we won't die even if we are good people.

no, we just have hundreds of doomed alternate universe us'es :(

THINK OF THE OTHER SIGMAS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bean mom
Jan 30, 2009

Poland Spring posted:

I'm getting pretty sick of spending years not looking up anything about this game to avoid spoilers, is there any way someone else could pick up this LP where Fedule left off

Play the game, or find a youtube lp, im sure there is one out there.

• Locked thread