Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Add me to the "I played the game on hard, so I'm looking forward to the easy mode dialogue" list.

Fedule posted:

Man, you're an idiot. I'm pretty sure that's an elementary school-level maze...

If it's so easy, you do it!

Can I?

...No! I can do it! I'll show you!

*Sigh*
All right, fine.

This was priceless. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Fedule posted:

VLR OST: [Sinisterness]

VLR OST: [Eeriness]

When I played 999, I was never really disturbed by the stuff it presented, even the very graphic descriptions of the exploded corpses or murder scenes.

VLR, on the other hand, did a fantastic job of creeping me the hell out, partly with the setting we find ourselves in, but mainly due to the music. Both these tracks, Sinisterness and Eeriness, convey a sense of something being seriously wrong in a way that the music in 999 didn't.

Made playing the game late at night a much more nerve-wracking experience, for me at least.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Yet another track on the OST that, combined with the setting, was remarkably effective at sending chills down my spine. It's not so bad after it gets going, but that first 20 seconds or so just creeps me the hell out.

For me, the music in this game was far more disturbing than the gory explosion descriptions from 999.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

njsykora posted:

You say that like Luna isn't the best character already.

Well, she's certainly got some stiff competition from old man Tenmyouji.

Fedule posted:

Ugh. Stuck with a kid and some old fart...
I can't see how this could possibly go badly.

Hmph. Well, maybe we'll get lucky and you'll pull your head out of your rear end.

What'd you just say?!

:allears:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

might be wrong posted:

Literally all I get from her so far is that she's a meek, 'nice' character. The only reason she's interesting so far is because people in the thread are practically holding up signs saying 'Guess what she's gonna be GREAT.'

ApplesandOranges posted:

Seriously, it's actually getting annoying. "HEY GUYS WINK WINK NUDGE NUDGE"

I'm sure all characters in the game have their moments, but let the people who've never seen it find out for themselves.

It would be nice if the people who have already beaten the game and are participating in the voting would just vote and leave it at that. You don't need to justify your votes, and I'm pretty sure the people who haven't played before (and maybe even some of the people who have played before) don't really care why you're trying to railroad the LP in a particular direction.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Count Bleck posted:

Remember that 999 Took place in 2028 as well, and it had some neat poo poo going on.

999 actually took place in 2027/2018. :v:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

It's moments like this that make it a crime Sigma's not voiced in the game. Hearing Troy Baker's delivery on this would have been the best thing. :allears:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Medieval Medic posted:

I feel like the best scenario right now with the choice we have is Sigma+Alice+Luna, Tenmyouji+Quark+Clover, Dio+Phi+K.

Sigma and Luna is a good combo, we already allied, there is no reason to betray, which means Alice will go back up two. Dio, Phi and K can go screw themselves because we know they will all betray each other which means they don't get to escape before us. What is interesting is the second group. Tenmouyji will be the person to decide what to do in that pair, likely betray to keep himself from dying, and also because Clover was in a pair that betrayed previously. The most favorable outcome is for Clover to be a bro and take a hit for them.

Supposing this works out: Quark has 8 points; Sigma and Luna have 7 points; Dio and K have 6 points; Phi has 5 points; Tenmyouji and Clover have 4 points; Alice has 3.

Your math's off; if Tenmyoji and Quark pick Betray and Clover picks Ally, then Quark would have 9 BP.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

The sad part about getting all the optional hint dialogue is that you miss out on an amusing reaction from Sigma if you can solve the 120V minigame without assistance.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Zack Ater posted:

Is "color group" supposed to mean those with the same color bracelet, or those who went through the same colored door?

Those who went through the same Chromatic Door. So Sigma, Alice and Luna are all part of the same "color group" for this round of the AB Game.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

theshim posted:

That looks like Alice's bracelet on the floor next to her. You'd think the killer spaghetti monster would have taken it...

Why would they? That would just incriminate them as the murderer.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Fedule posted:

Alright, thread, I hate to do this to you, but I suddenly find myself called away from home for a week. No, this is not going to be like last time where I want to Ireland for a week and ended up almost getting my Path of Radiance LP archived - I'll be back in a week (no open returns this time!), after which it's back to work.

I'm not leaving you with nothing, though...

It's been two weeks and no word from Fedule.

I think Clover got to him. :ohdear:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

RoeCocoa posted:

THE THRONE IS MINE, MOTION FINAL THEME TUNE.

Sorry, not yet; even if that was the last seize map, you still have to fight a dragon at some point before the end.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Podima posted:

I dunno, I did the Alice branch first because I wanted to know what the hell was up with her after the ending of 999.

Same here. I was coming in fresh off 999, so I really wanted to know what the deal was there.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Fedule posted:

comeonesaysomethingareyouthereyoureyeslookkindablank

Minor typo. I usually make that mistake too, for some reason.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

I'm fairly sure you're at least allowed to mention the name of the show, provided you don't actually discuss anything relevant to it. But on the off chance I'm wrong, here's a link to an SAclopedia article about it and why it's forbidden to talk about on SA.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=2338

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

quote:

GTF-FM-R-2OC

Rainbow Dash from MLP:FiM. Reference to a line of hers in Season 1.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

For those out there following this, even if you're not listening to the dialogue for whatever reason (which you really should be, the hell is wrong with you?), you should at least read the update while listening to this playing in the background.

Consternation remains one of the creepiest goddamn tracks.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Xernoia posted:

019 gives you A-B-J, but I can't think of anything that ABJ could stand for.

Applewood Bacon & Jelly. Clearly she was attempting to order a sandwich.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

But Phi was in the security room. I don't think she would've been unable to notice Sigma heading over towards the Rec Room.

The couch Sigma went to lay down on was on the direct opposite side of the room from the bank of monitors Phi was using to review the security footage; her back would've been to Sigma the whole time.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

namesake posted:

Argh, why is the entire cast A) suspicious and B)dead?

Because C) murder mystery game.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Battle Pigeon posted:

I wonder if there's Alice cosplayers who stay true to the game, not sure I dare search.

I just did a quick GIS for "Virtue's Last Reward Alice Cosplay" and "Virtue's Last Reward Cosplay".

Neither one turned up any images of Alice cosplayers. Lots of Clovers, Sigmas, Phis, a few Dios and Lunas and a Quark or two. Even some Zero IIIs. But no Alices.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Login: Zero
Password: swordfish

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

lotus circle posted:

See this is the trick the game plays. Even if you know Luna won't betray you after seeing what happens when you ally with her, you need to betray her at some point to get full completion. It's even worse when you have a vita and you want that drat platinum trophy. :smith:

I'm with you. Picking Betray always made me feel like a complete shitheel. There was one time, when I first started playing, when I did it and thought I wouldn't have to feel bad about it... and then the game made me feel bad about it anyway. :smith: :respek: :smith:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Super Jay Mann posted:

Um... uh.... :stare:

So this LP isn't ending any time soon I see. Maybe I should just bite the bullet and get the game myself?

That's what I did when it hit me how long the 999 LP was going to take. (No offense to Dragonatrix intended there, that LP was awesome; I just couldn't stand waiting to get answers.)

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

As I'm reading it, theshim's problem is this:

1) In order for the events of 999 to take place, Past!Akane must survive the Nonary Game on the Gigantic.
2) In order for Past!Akane to survive the Nonary Game on the Gigantic, Junpei must follow the Coffin/True Route.
3) If Junpei does not follow the Coffin/True Route, Past!Akane dies in the Noary Game on the Gigantic.
4) If Past!Akane dies in the Nonary Game on the Gigantic, it's impossible for her to be present during the events of 999.
5) If Akane isn't present to set up and run the events of 999, then it's impossible for her to save herself in the past.
6) TIME PARADOX. Causality divides itself by zero and the universe ceases to exist.

Essentially, if at any time Junpei deviates from the following set of choices

code:
Door 4 > Take Bookmark > Learn about Ice-9 from Akane > Door 7 > Talk about Ice-9 with Seven > Give Bookmark to Clover > Door 1 > Coffin
it should be an instant Game Over as soon as you make the wrong decision, because at that point, it's impossible to save Akane. The timeline should not continue past that point, and Past!Akane should not be able to receive information based on events that can't ever happen because of an impossible timeline.

Is that correct, theshim?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Switching gears for a moment, let's check out the current results of the poll:

Go through the Yellow Door with Tenmyoji - 109 votes
Betray Luna in the second AB Game - 93 votes
Go through the Cyan Door with Alice - 87 votes
Go through the Blue Door with K - 35 votes
Betray Luna in the first AB Game - 28 votes
Go through the Red Door with Clover - 22 votes

I'm kind of surprised that not many people seem to want to hang out with K.

I'm not really surprised that nobody seems to want to hang out with Clover.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Cardiovorax posted:

Do whatever you want, Fedule, but please cut down on the cliffhangers for the next round. Four cliffhangers for four pretty short updates right after each other is pretty excessive.

You realize this is only going to encourage him to put in more cliffhangers, right?

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Yeah, that's the beauty of the game.

On an instinctive level, everyone likely has some human decency that makes them want to get out. Then they're betrayed and knocked down to 1 BP and not only are they farther away from the goal of 9 BP to escape, but they're close to death. Fear will lead to choosing betrayal, which leads to the new betrayee feeling angry and vengeful, which leads to a desperate scramble to get the most points in the minimal amount of time.

It's like how crabs in a bucket will continue to pull each other down.

In other words, you want to be a good person... but in a situation like this, good people die.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Have I mentioned recently how much Consternation creeps me the gently caress out? Having a little kid screaming at the top of his lungs for you to kill him doesn't help.

Once again, this game is fantastic when it comes to using music to set the atmosphere of a scene.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

I can't wait to see the Dio apologists try to justify this. :allears: :munch:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Aumanor posted:

So, now that Dio's gone and killed us(HUGE TWIST!!!), I'm really curious as to the workings of the goonmind. How many of you who voted ally actually expected Dio not to betray? How many of you have already played through the game and just wanted to force this particular outcome? Do you think you could make a quick pol on the side, Fedule?

There's really no need for that, given that the whole point of the off-site polling to begin with was so that the thread wouldn't be cluttered up with tons of vote posts and justifications behind them. :v:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

That .gif is the best. And it still makes me hear "Take On Me" in my head whenever I see it. :allears:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

DarkHamsterlord posted:

I thought the point was to prevent a flood of posts that are just

"I vote Ally"

With no explanation, because 90% of the people voting aren't going to explain why they voted as they did. I don't think anyone cares if you post something like

"I voted ally because my mother taught me to always keep your promises, and Sigma promised to vote ally."

Sentient Data posted:

For a game like this, the experience of the LP isn't limited to just the game itself - the off-site voting makes things a hell of a lot easier to count the votes and stop a flood of 3-word posts, but a huge chunk of why I (and I'm assuming most of the thread) keep coming back is the interaction of the readers. Justifications and speculations that vary so widely add tons of depth to the LP, and if you step back it can even give a sense of how conflicted the inner workings of Siggy's mind could actually be.

Stopping the justification posts in a thread like this seem to be pretty analogous to going to a Rocky Horror theater showing and trying to sush the audience because you're trying to watch the movie.

Fair enough. I was mainly under the impression it was to curtail justification posts because it also would curtail the posts from people complaining about how the people who've played the game before and thus already know what's going to happen are unfairly influencing the direction the LP goes. But I suppose that was a mistaken assumption on my part.

That said, I still don't think it's necessary for Fedule to make another off-site poll just to indulge someone's curiosity.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

BlazeEmblem posted:

I loved this twist. You are expecting to die, then you find out that there is more to this. Every time I read a post saying that this was a bad ending, I was laughing to myself.

Same here, more or less. I love how this game messes with people's expectations. :allears:

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Pringles Monster posted:

That AED won't work on Sigma since he'd suffocate from respiratory paralysis instead. The AED would only work if he somehow develops a ventricular fibrillation or tachycardia.

I think what they meant was figure out a way to stop Sigma's heart so that the bracelet could be removed before he's injected with the tubocurarine, then use the AED to jump start it again once the bracelet's off.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah, count me in as another person who took this route first. I was mostly interested in seeing if I could get any information out of Alice because I was fresh off of the stinger from 999 and wanted to know what was up with crazy frozen Egyptian mummy lady.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Zoe posted:

Allying non-stop really is a simple solution that's in everyone's best interests, too bad we're never going to see any of these characters take advantage of the ample amounts of time they have to sit down and rationally discuss that as a strategy, too busy splitting up constantly and murdering each other.

That's the beauty of the whole set up, though, don't you see?

They don't know what the AB Game entails until they play it the first time. They don't find out the penalty for dropping to 0 BP or less until after the first set of results is announced. Then the colors and pair assignments are shuffled around and they have X amount of time to do whatever until the next set of Chromatic Doors open.

But why would they discuss optimal strategy for playing the AB game and saving everyone when playing the AB game is what Zero wants them to do? No, clearly we should use this time to investigate and see if Zero overlooked another way out, even though we were explicitly told that the number 9 door is the only way out! Screw doing what Zero wants us to do! You can't control us, man!

Oh yeah, and speaking of Zero, the rabbit already told us that one of the nine players is secretly Zero, so clearly that means we can't trust you enough to reveal anything useful to you! After all, you might secretly be Zero! And that's not even factoring possible bad blood resulting from betrayals in the first round of the AB Game.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Perhaps whoever was in charge of localization figured that the majority of the English speaking audience wouldn't know what a Biotope was, but would know what a Botanical Garden is. Hell, until it was brought up in this thread, I'd never even heard the word "Biotope" before in my life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ah, this moment. I remember this moment so well from when I played this game. I was so mad. :allears:

• Locked thread