Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Not only is Zero III amazing, the banter between Sigma and Phi is great too. This game's localization is overall much improved over 999's, which is really necessary for how wordy it is.

I don't understand why they didn't have Sigma voiced. It had to have been a conscious decision to leave his dialog as "beep beep boop" since everyone else is voiced but I think it really hurts the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

It's a really common VN convention not to voice the main character. Fate/Stay Night comes to mind.

Of course, this is usually so the protagonist can act as a cypher for the player, but it's caught on with games that don't have everyman protagonists.

Oh, okay. I haven't played any visual novels besides these two games so I didn't know. I still think it's dumb; I can see the logic if you're taking the role of some high school kid hitting on girls (which is what I still think of when I hear "visual novels") but for something like this game I disagree with genre convention.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

I'm listening to the Japanese voicing for the first time, and I can't help but notice that pretty much all of the English writing and proper nouns ("Ambidex Room," "Pair," "Solo," "Nonary Game: Ambidex Edition," "Two Milkmen Go Comedy!") is still rendered and spoken by the characters in English. Speaking as someone who has no real familiarity with Japanese language media, is this common? Is the audience expected to know enough English to be able to follow along with what the phrases mean and the characters rearranging the letters?

Also, wow, Tenmyouji sounds totally different in the Japanese voices. Instead of a grumpy old dude he sounds like a doddering senior citizen.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Super Jay Mann posted:

The only thing that throws me off about comments like that is that 999 was never really "grounded in reality" in the first place.

Well, at the very beginning, when all you know is that you've been kidnapped by a dude in a gas mask and thrown in a overly complex death trap, it seems fairly realistic.

I guess the exact point when the game goes off track is up to the reader: either past the first door when June starts talking about frozen mummies who put a curse on the Titanic and writers who are possessed by their future ghosts, or even earlier when Lotus' outfit is introduced.

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 20:04 on May 27, 2013

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

If there's one thing we learned from the last game it's that the shy girl can't be trusted. Team up with Luna in the magenta door to keep an eye on her.

Plus, that way Clover and Alice can stay together and maybe Alice can help Clover figure something out about our situation, or at least keep her from going berserk.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

bumble posted:

God, this part had me stumped for longer than I care to admit because I didn't realize the order of the drinks was important. Even finally solving it was frustrating, because I was sure this puzzle was going to lead me to the fourth hemi-hemisphere I had missed instead of optional bonus content. :doh:

At least you weren't stuck for 15 minutes on the part that gave me trouble: figuring out that you needed to put the needles on the clock. I imagined Sigma solving the logic puzzle in a few minutes and getting the secret safe code, then spending the next quarter of an hour dumbly wandering around the room slack-jawed, attempting to poke the needles into everything else in the room while Phi and Luna sort of watch nervously. I even figured out that 4:50 was the important time, looked at the clock without realizing it went with the needles and had a "GREEN SUN" all prepared and everything.

I guess I was expecting them to be labeled "clock hands" if they involved the clock.

Edit: Also one of the hemi-hemispheres (I forget which) is super easy to overlook.

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 03:23 on May 31, 2013

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Like Color Printer said a lot of the other players know each other and will probably team up. If Sigma and Phi are the only ones who pick betray now they would just make themselves into targets. Seems like a terrible way to try and get out alive.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Line of the game right here. With all the great lines he has it's a travesty Sigma isn't voiced.

Nidoking posted:

I didn't see an answer to this in the thread - K is the chemical symbol for the element Potassium, probably because of an alternate name similar to Kalium. It's no more sensible than W for Tungsten (Wolfram).

The deal with elements like this that have English names that don't seem to sync up with the chemical symbols is just due to language differences and historical artifacts. In the case of K, someone in England decided that some specific substance he was working with should be called Potassium and someone else who spoke another language decided to call it Kalium. The problem only would come up much later when the scientific community felt the need to standardize what every element was referred to and decided to go with the abbrevation for Kalium, but by that point in the English-speaking scientific community, the name Potassium had stuck.

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Jun 3, 2013

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Color Printer posted:

She was really only ever quiet when she thought her brother had died from internal explosions. Other than that she was as vocal as most of the others.

I also don't know if I would call her the "nicest" of the bunch. Except maybe in the True Ending, when you know, Snake was revealed to be alive.

He was talking about June.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Fedule, it looks like the Japanese clip for part 4 ("sorry") is messed up somehow. It appears to be less than a second of background music.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

DarkHamsterlord posted:

There's also the fact that none of these people know each other, for the most part. Could you really trust someone you met about two or three hours ago not to be selfish and try to escape as quickly as possible by choosing betray? Even if there was no reason to suspect anyone of being Zero and/or a murderer, it's still hard to trust someone you just met.

So you betray because, as far as you know, your opponent may be trying to escape as quickly as possible, leaving everyone else to die.

Technically both of the pairs of people who for sure know each other were party to a betrayal, so we could say that NOT knowing the other players is the way to ensure that they won't be selfish.

suddenly cats posted:

Prosthetics in these games are far more advanced than the kind of technology we have in real life. They're meant to be indistinguishable from a real human body part--after all, Junpei did say in 999 that he couldn't tell at all by looking that Snake's arm was prosthetic.

Well, it is like 15 years in the future and Snake being hilariously overeducated made me think he was from a rich family.

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jun 6, 2013

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

ApplesandOranges posted:

Okay, so our options:

1. Sigma+Alice+K, Tenmyouji+Quark+Luna, Dio+Phi+Clover
2. Sigma+Alice+Luna, Tenmyouji+Quark+Clover, Dio+Phi+K
3. Sigma+Alice+Clover, Tenmyouji+Quark+K, Dio+Phi+Luna

Option 3 sounds like there'll be some nice backstory with Alice+Clover, and doesn't really leave anyone in danger of dying unless Clover betrays and we ally, or K betrays and T+Q ally. Option 2 is nice because Luna's likely to ally and we can either betray her to get Alice to 4 and Sigma to 8, or ally and put both Sigma and Luna in range of winning. The rest generally have little to worry about - Tenmyouji could die but Clover could afford a point less if they agree to let Tenmyouji and Quark betray. Option 1 isn't really that interesting, but Tenmyouji and Quark can get some free points from the trusting Luna and we get K, who's a pretty fascinating character.

Edit: This post was so long and confusing it seemed unsalvageable so I deleted most if it. Basically we have to worry about Alice's life now, and Luna seems to be the safest choice for her for two reasons. First, track record: Luna voted ally last round, but K and Clover voted betray - against Alice even! (but we don't know why :tinfoil:). Second, from a points perspective Luna has the least incentive to vote betray since she'd be one more round away from victory either way while everyone with 6 could betray and escape right away.

Also something about how pitting everyone who has 6 points against each other (Dio/K and Quark/Clover) seems like the safest way to ensure they all betray each other and nobody gets 9 and escapes with people left behind. Conveniently enough this is what happens if we go into a door with Luna!

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jun 6, 2013

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Dragonatrix posted:

Considering how Dio's shown himself to be kind of a giant asshat, why would he suddenly care about either Clover or Luna now? :psyduck:

Oops. That whole post was a giant pile of word salad that I edited for like 15 minutes in a vain attempt to make it clear and completely forgot to clarify that. What I meant to say is that in a world where everyone goes with option 3, Dio betraying Luna and Luna allying with Dio is pretty likely. This puts Dio up to 9. Clover will probably realize this and might decide to betray Alice and Sigma to get herself up to 9 because she knows she's hosed if she doesn't have 9 when Dio tries to escape.

John Lee posted:

And if he DID turn out to be a cackling villain who says "HOHOHOHO, YOU FOOL! NOW YOU ARE DEAD, AND I HAVE ANOTHER POINT!", it'd be worth the small risk I took to let everybody else know that K is a douchbag, and a poor planner at that.

Well yeah, but for K right now the difference between allying and betraying isn't just another point, it's the critical point that makes the difference between escaping immediately and having to wait another round. Same goes for Dio, Clover and Quark obviously.

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jun 6, 2013

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Kgummy posted:

You know, that made me realize something about the whole final door saying 'q'. It doesn't actually work in 999, when you think about it. At least in the English translation. If only because the note was in braille. Since 'q' and '9' are different, with numbers having the braille for '#' before them, and then using the letters a-i replacing 1-9, and j being 0.

There were two notes. The first one is the one that everyone had, then Snake had the bonus braille one.

The first one mentions the [9] door.

e: beaten, but I had proof!

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

It wouldn't really be a handheld mystery adventure game if we didn't spray something with luminol, would it?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

When K showed Sigma and Phi the hole in the back of his head in the infirmary it says he takes off his robe so they can get a look (but the robe doesn't actually cover the back of his head???)

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

I think the dividing line in whether you liked how 999's structure became evident over several plays is whether or not you were okay with how it forced you to see the same scenes or solve the same puzzles as you "felt out" the branches in the plot. I played the game for a few hours every couple of days over the course of like a month so replaying the same sections several times never got too irritating. When I got the coffin ending naturally and had to later replay that sequence to get the real ending it was a week or more later so I didn't really mind seeing it again; I had forgotten a lot of what happened anyway.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Nidoking posted:

It all makes sense now! Clover is a Final Fantasy character and she was trying to poison her attacker even though she was muted. A shame blood is only good for draining spells. If she'd written "osmose" it might have worked.

At least that would explain her stupid outfit.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

theshim posted:

See, this is outside the scope of the stated mechanics of the morphogenetic fieldset. Akane specifically has to be an almost Mary Sue exception to the rules, because she's not just able to transmit or receive information but to obtain it from sources that shouldn't even be possible. All other transmitters or receivers - even Junpei - are sending information they have obtained or receiving information from someone who knows it. Junpei receives the coffin password from and transmits the final puzzle solution to past Akane.

Akane alone is able to receive information from paradoxes. She can basically savestate, follow a path, and when she dies on that path instead jump back and keep the information she learned.

The thing is that Akane explicitly says that she can actually do that. I think the explanation was that since she was already with Santa she couldn't set up a link with him and instead had a link with her next most important person (Junpei), who happened to be in a similar situation like the intended aibling pairs. The fact that she was able to do it across time in addition to space is because she was double psychic or something (I think the game's words are her saying something like "I am special"). I guess if you're unwilling to accept that there's a seperate level of super psychicness that only applies to Akane (plus Junpei maybe) then it would seem unreasonable but that seems like a silly restriction to place on a plot device that's already supernatural.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

I have to agree about the differences in voice direction. I prefer to watch stuff in the original language because it tends to turn out better from there being more effort put into it but most of the Japanese voicing here comes off as bland. Tenmyouji ("old and grumpy" instead of just "old") and Phi (not sounding like a synthetic voice) seem to be characters it applies to the most but I prefer the English track in general.
The only one who I like better in Japanese is Dio, and that's only because it sounds like the Japanese dude gets much angrier (sometimes comically so) when he shows emotion than the English guy. I don't like either of Clover's voice tracks - the English one sounds put upon and overdramatic and the Japanese one is that incredibly irritating super-high pitch that every Japanese woman under 30 apparently has to sound like.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Sigma is white, but Clover's ethnicity is Anime.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Sentient Data posted:

Funny thing is I've always been focused on the hair color/style, the Pebbles outfit, and the tattoo/design under her right eye as things that made me go "huh", but you're on to something there. I took another look at her portrait in comparison to Sigma's, and her eyes are at least twice as big as his and Dio's - her skull must be a significantly different shape to support having such large eyes, so I'm willing to buy into your Anime ethnicity idea (and now I'll never be able to unsee the eye size difference)

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Let's Play! > Lettuce Play Virtue's Last Reward: Anime Phrenology

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Oct 18, 2013

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Kay Kessler posted:

Well that sure is subtle.

I don't get it. Is it a reference to something?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

GilliamYaeger posted:

The answer's pretty obvious if you ask me. He's drugged up, the bracelet is stuck to his arm...

The solution is to RIP HIS ARM OFF :black101:

Obviously. This problem's already been decisively solved in Raimi and Campbell, Evil Dead 2.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

That being said, it would certainly be interesting to have a game from the P.O.V. of a blind protagonist. I wonder how it'd mess with our expectations of the characters and setting.

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Sentient Data posted:

Really, the better question is which rooms don't have murder weapons. So far we've seen:
  • Elevator: Knife that killed the old woman (no proof it came specifically from an elevator, but someone had the knife at this point)
  • Lounge: Bottle for bludgeoning, broken bottle for laceration, alcohol for poisoning? Last one's doubtful but who knows when someone's passed out
  • Infirmary: Scalpel, lethal/nonlethal doses of who knows what from injection gun
  • Gaulem Bay: Screwdriver as a shiv (don't forget the intro to Speed 1), K's key (to murder him assuming something squishy is inside)
  • Laboratory: Another scalpel, ether for psychoactive or explosive properties
  • Security: No direct weapons, but it's endgame and can potentially blackmail with info

You forgot the giant axe and spear.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Well if Alice was telling the truth about being a normal person there's still at least one thawed-out mummy unaccounted for.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Thundersword238 posted:

I don't remember which part it came up in, but I think Sigma said he was a college student somewhere in America. I think it was California?

IIRC he said he was a grad student that went to school in California during a flashback.

I've been curious whether it's the same thing in the original version or if he's a Japanese grad student.

Also, during Alice's confessional she said she was a spy for the American government, but again I wonder whether that was the case in the original script.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Maybe Alice just came back to this timeline to the point right after Sigma told her the number, while in another timeline she had spent half an hour in front of a computer solving it and memorized the answer across timelines just to impress Sigma.

• Locked thread