Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Oh my. Zero is fantastic. :allears:

So either we're stuck with Phi the whole game (which is not a horrible prospect, she's pretty awesome) and can never spend time with Dio, Quark, Clover, or K ... or, more likely so as not to exclude half the cast, either a. color and/or b. pair/solo status is flexible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

I would have thought Myrmidon would be an Achilles reference before a Fire Emblem reference.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

I find these lines interesting. Is Sigma implying that he's unknowingly a gaulem himself?

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Battle Pigeon posted:

I take no responsibility for accuracy, but here's an "improved version" where Sigma has figured out how to type words :v:

So now the username and password are both "Sigma"?

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Dammit Fedule, every cliffhanger you post makes me want to go get the game.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

jonjonaug posted:

Then go get it. Visual novel LPs are nearly piracy to begin with, you should buy the game if you're enjoying it.

Truth be told, the only thing stopping me is the fact that I have neither a 3DS nor a Vita. While I can afford getting the handheld console too, I'm not inclined to get one just for one game, in spite of Fedule's motivation-by-cliffhanger. So I'm currently wibbling in indecision about which of them has more/better other games that I might want.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

If certain branches do in fact go further than others, which makes logical sense as a possibility, my guess is that Fedule likely chose a spot to cut off the image such that nothing would be given away by the game's UI.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Schrodinger's cat is Schrodinger's dead old woman. Therefore, the dead old woman is a cat, and talking about her will make Sigma lapse into cat puns.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Dio allied? Alice betrayed? :psyboom:

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

I bought it too, and the only thing stopping me from playing it right now (well, besides me being at work) is that I wanted free (slow) shipping from Amazon.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

TheRamblingSoul posted:

I just got VLR in the mail after reading this Let's Play, I hope you all are happy. :colbert:

...Oh god, I need to know what happens next! :f5:

My copy just arrived today as well. I hope Fedule is getting kickbacks for this.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Instant Grat posted:

I don't think orenronen's been hired by Spike yet

Which, as a tangent, is a goddamn shame.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Looks like there are 9 significant story branches, 18 if you count what are presumably forks for AB game results after round 2 (although from what we saw with the Dio blackmail thing, it's possible for some of those to lead straight to bad endings).

We've gone down, and gotten stuck at with a To Be Continued, two of those nine (having seen one bad ending as well), and are currently making our way down a third. I'd say 20% is pretty generous.

Been playing through it myself, and I would like to echo the hate for the map traversal animations with the moving dot and the door opening animations.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Yeah, I meant a game over as a bad ending. I am operating under the hopeful assumption that all "endings" will be good ones. :unsmith: My own playthrough (and 999 expectations) will probably prove me wrong, but whatever.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

35-40 hours, listening to dialogue, sounds about right. There is a lot of meat to this game. Even when you think you're nearly done and there can't be that much left. I just finished myself, and clocked in at about 32 hours (hard mode; not sure whether easy mode would have made it take longer for more dialogue to read, or take less time for a few particularly obnoxious puzzles).

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

When I played through here myself, I got stuck for an embarrassingly long time because I couldn't spot the copper/bronze key.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Bruceski posted:

BTW, anyone playing this on their own, if the game tells you to write something down WRITE IT DOWN. Not all plot-locks are automatic like this, but they do an okay job of warning you when otherwise.

Yeah, I had to go back and replay some scenes because I was all "Sigma will just remember it for me, right? :downs:" the first time around.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

tiistai posted:

Of course I allied, I couldn't possibly betray Luna's expectations :kimchi:

Yep that's the reason

When I played, that was pretty much my reasoning for every one of my initial AB decisions: what would Luna think?

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Ometeotl posted:

I voted Ally exactly to see this reaction. It's just so satisfying.

Ditto. I was completely blindsided by it in my own playthrough.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Carlioo posted:

You know what would be funny? If we pick betray at this point, then find out that Alice was unconscious this time, meaning we betrayed someone who couldn't make a choice. Feels like a situation they could pull on us.

Schrodinger's treacherous bitch?

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Schrodinger's treacherous bitch.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

GeneralYeti posted:

I'm more shocked that Dio picked Ally. What the gently caress is going on here, VLR?

He did that last time through the Alice path too. The only votes that changed were ours and Alice's.

Also, this caught me by surprise on my playthrough too. I started when this LP was partway down the Alice path we just took, so I went in going "okay, I know what happens: Luna allies, Ten betrays, Alice betrays, so I'll play accordingly and betray Ten and Alice". Alice was my first route, so I betrayed her and was all "ha, take that, gently caress your... betrayal...? oh, huh, that's weird".

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Zoe posted:

other than the chance to betray Luna (which obviously isn't going to happen)

Well it's not happening right now, since betraying Alice won the (previous) vote. But wasn't betraying Luna the #2 choice? The goon hivemind has a strong urge to rip off that band-aid and get it over with, by the looks of things.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Well, even if the 2D sprites don't blink or breathe or anything, each and every separate pose is its own piece of artwork.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Also remember that as the player, you're not subjected to the goon hivemind's decision of what to do next. So if you want to go check out something else, you absolutely can.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Color Printer posted:

I hate this room. I hate this room. I hate this room.

The puzzles are too complicated and it's not fun. I hate this room.

I don't hate the room overall, but I do despise one particular puzzle in it. Mostly because I played on hard. I'm curious to see what the hints are on easy.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Ugh, this room. Or more specific, this sliding ice puzzle.

I don't know why, but I could not for the life of me solve it on my own. And I was playing on hard mode like a moron (rather than just playing on easy, then redoing the rooms on hard when I already knew the answer). It's one of two times that I caved and looked up the answer to a puzzle.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Glazius posted:

Huh. So what's here that the Myrmidons think is worth blowing up? Secret origins?

Quark's hat, obviously.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Possibly :siren: too, but that's pretty boring compared to the others.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Dreggon posted:

would like to see the path where robot suit man gets opened up with that key though, or where Sigma avoids being messed up by the tranquilizer after Dio betrayed him

Well, the key was found in one of the rooms encountered in the Luna path. I think so far we've tried to use it once in that one where everyone died, but it didn't work when K was dead. So your best bet for that would be another one of the forks of that same path. Even if Sigma's group doesn't go into the room with the key, one of the other groups still will, and it'll still be found.

(The same goes for any other items that turn up, especially in safes. They exist in all the various forks of the respective Luna/Tenmy/Alice paths. It's just a question of who finds them.)

As for that tranquilizer and Dio's betrayal, it's explicitly a plot lock, which logically means we'll eventually find information in some timeline that will let us deal with that somehow. Whether "deal with that" is Sigma getting off one last accomplishment before dying anyway, or somehow avoiding dying, who knows.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

ApplesandOranges posted:

Bear in mind the same rooms aren't always visited in all variants of the paths. The Laboratory was visited in both the Tenmyouji and Alice paths, but not in all of them (it's notably not visited in the Phi route).

The GAULEM bay doesn't seem to have been visited on any other route yet.

My bad, then. I thought that which three rooms were open were dictated only by the original choice. It's been a while.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Ten and Quark have a well-established dynamic from their life outside. So like Alice and Clover, either they were both in the pods or neither were in the pods.

Since there were only three pods, we also know that we can't have both the T&Q and A&C pairs in the pods.

death .cab for qt posted:

Crazy guessing time what if Clover trusts Ten with his life, and vice versa, because Ten is from the second or first Nonary game? With those Cryostasis pods, it's possible for time to have passed without it being so long that an entire generation dies off. If Clover was in a pod, and Tenmyouji was not, he could reveal that information to her and earn her trust. After all, she usually comes to trust him, but that appears to only happen through Morphogenic hullaballoo now—she just gets this gut feeling to trust him. We never got to hear, from her, what Ten revealed, and she would at least try to keep it secret until we paired up with her and had a moment alone, which I don't believe we did.

Operating under this theory, it would make more logical sense for A&C to be pod people and T&Q to not be. Otherwise Clover would be the old one in the pair. Setting aside Dio and K for previously described reasons, that leaves us with Sigma, Phi, and Luna for the third pod.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Brony Hunter posted:

Assuming that K's helmet has some kind of voice modulator, we actually have no idea if he's been the same person all this time :tinfoil:

K is secretly another Dio. Sometimes.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

I think it was more a joke on your user name.

Anyway, you're both right and not.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Captain Walker posted:

I guess people are trying to keep the thread alive while Fedule plays and LPs a game that's more fun on the gameplay and less hassle on the LP logistics, albeit not nearly as interesting on the story.

Adjusted for accuracy.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

gmq posted:

I actually have the game but I was too lazy to play 999 until recently. What would be the fastest path to reach the current LP state in game? I guess most of the game overs are not required.

You have to hit one specific bad ending (Alice -> Betray -> Phi -> Betray) to pass a plot lock, but otherwise you can go for all the good endings and skip the bad endings (which as seen in the LP are usually some variant of "someone else gets out, sucks to be you"). Some of the bad endings are admittedly somewhat more interesting though.

Otherwise, since the LP's actually done nearly all the routes at this point, you'd basically have to play through all of them in some order or other, in order to catch up to the LP. So aside from "you don't need to bother with an obviously bad ally/betrayal choice for a bad ending" there's not much you can avoid.

I will point out that you can solve puzzle rooms on easy (which gets you the fun and usually insulting-to-Sigma hints from your companions, not to mention spelling out the solutions to some of the more obnoxious puzzles), then hop back in after escaping and redo the room on hard when you already know the safe solutions so you can pretty much immediately grab the gold file and leave. Also if you've got the story really fresh in your mind from the LP you can tell the game to allow skip mode even for unread text, though use this feature at your own peril.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Also worth noting, that in every single other ending which features people left safely alive but trapped inside, the people who escaped could have saved the rest just by exploring where the elevator can go instead of immediately hightailing it out of there.

Well, Dio wouldn't, obviously.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

ApplesandOranges posted:

Well, let's see who escaped in each ending:

Luna: Phi, Quark. Sigma only one left alive.
K: Nobody
Dio: Dio, Phi, Sigma.
Tenmyouji: Tenmyouji, Quark, Clover.
Quark: K, Dio
Clover: EVERYONE DIES
Alice: EVERYONE DIES
Sigma: Everyone except Sigma

So the Luna and Tenmyouji endings are the only ones where I could see people going back, because Dio's a factor in the others.

There's also the bad endings to consider. A lot more of those are to the tune of "welp, someone else escaped, gently caress you".

fe: And update!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

DeathChicken posted:

I'll admit, I got all gooshy at old (young) awkward-rear end Akane showing up again.

Art style and all.

• Locked thread