Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

kiffkin posted:

I realise you folks who've played the game before are enthusiastic about wanting to share with those of us who haven't - which is great - but the :allears: reactions :allears: got very old very quickly in Dragonatrix's 999 thread and there's already four posts saying the same thing on the first page. It's very easy to get a bit too close to the 'nudge, nudge' type spoilers, and it did cross that line in the 999 thread :( . Can we take it as read now, please? Also I am not the most patient person in the world and I'm getting a bit over-excited too.

:ohdearsass:

Going to second this, it can get very easily close to the 'geez this is going to be so awesome, I can't wait to see you guys squirm over it :allears:' territory. That's evil mastermind petting a cat in the lap business.

Anyway, from what we've seen of the boxart we know there are going to be at least one repeat player, so... should be interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Zandar posted:

So if this game is the Ambidex Edition, shouldn't these two have their bracelets on different hands?

Ambidex doesn't just mean being able to use both hands, though that is the most common meaning. It can also mean being unusually skillful, or being deceitful.

I'm guessing it could mean either the first or third meaning in regards to this game, considering the dextral/sinistral thing in the first game, but it could always involve lying and cheating.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Easy Mode Sigma is pretty pathetic at puzzles. :sweatdrop: I'm anticipating everyone yelling at him while he hunches over a new one, sweat down his head as they give each other looks of knowing disappointment.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

might be wrong posted:

Literally all I get from her so far is that she's a meek, 'nice' character. The only reason she's interesting so far is because people in the thread are practically holding up signs saying 'Guess what she's gonna be GREAT.'

Seriously, it's actually getting annoying. "HEY GUYS WINK WINK NUDGE NUDGE"

I'm sure all characters in the game have their moments, but let the people who've never seen it find out for themselves.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Phi rationalizes it very well.

In a perfect world, everyone would ally and be able to trust each other. But with everyone starting out as strangers, betrayal is bound to happen. And even as they get to know each other in the subsequent rounds (which there have to be since no one can get 9 yet), there's still that stigma of being betrayed in Round 1 in addition to the desperation of the betrayed not wanting to be stuck at 1 BP while the others get closer to escape. So more betrayals will happen as a result.

With that in mind, choosing Ally is open to more risk than reward due to the fact that you need three rounds to get 9 BP and also risk losing 2 BP if someone betrays you.

So betrayal is the more powerful and sensible option, but only if it's done against someone you can convince to ally with you. Furthermore, betraying offers you safety, since doing it prevents you from losing any points. Of course, you also can't gain points and can end up just as stuck as someone with low BP from allying foolishly.

The counterpoint, though, is that betrayal essentially paints up a big warning sign on you. The 'safe' point for betrayal would be 6 points, since that gets you enough to get out. The only way to initially get 6 is to either betray when the opponent allies while you're at three, which is right now.

But if you betray right now, then that signals to everyone that if they ally against you, you could possibly win.

Realistically the fastest choices are either to betray successfully twice, or to ally succesfully three times. The problem comes again, if you ally twice, then you're at seven - if your opponent doesn't have enough points to get out, they'll likely betray to set you back down to five. So you'd have no choice but to betray as well, which means a stalemate ad infinitum.

It does come down to the personalities of the players - I could see someone like Luna allying even if it means she'll be trapped here, while someone like Dio seeking to only get out and not caring about anyone else. Or situations where Clover and Alice only want to help each other and screw everyone else.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

SharpWingedSpear posted:

Wow, K and Clover betraying Alice really threw me off.

poo poo just got real. :suspense:

v

We hope we can. They're sitting at 1 BP now, so how willing are they to trust us?

The most likely scenario is that everyone who Betrayed this round is going to end up getting betrayed - everyone will be on edge about them possibly winning. Potentially all the ones at 1 BP could just end up betraying as well if they don't mind the potential death.

Sigma, Phi and Luna have the safest options right now, as they could Betray or Ally without fear - because of that someone is more likely to Ally with them, since they couldn't win even if they Betrayed.

As for K and Clover, I still think it's possible Clover could have just Betrayed anyway no matter who it was - she was still pretty logical in 999, Snake notwithstanding, and she might have just concluded it would be easier for someone to get out just as fast as they can and come back with help.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Jeek posted:

You know who else was nice and quiet and ended up being the mastermind who throw nine other person into a little murder game for a stupid time loop's sake? :v:

On the other hand, the loudest, rudest person (Lotus) turned out to be the most innocent.

...Guys, I think Dio is our best ally here.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Medieval Medic posted:

I wonder how(if at all) we will get assigned new pairs. If we get to choose(one can always hope), it is everyones best interest to keep Phi and Siggy together, and enter next door with Alice, then have Ten and Luna pair up and go through the door with Quark, and leave Dio with K and Clover.

I'd probably actually pair Ten and Quark and group them with Luna - if Ten and Quark are separate and Quark is indeed a backstabber he could just Betray again and doom Tenmyouji. With Ten and Quark together, even if Quark betrays it's just helping Ten, and Luna can afford the point hit. The problem of course is that Quark just wins if that happens.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Okay, so our options:

1. Sigma+Alice+K, Tenmyouji+Quark+Luna, Dio+Phi+Clover
2. Sigma+Alice+Luna, Tenmyouji+Quark+Clover, Dio+Phi+K
3. Sigma+Alice+Clover, Tenmyouji+Quark+K, Dio+Phi+Luna

Option 3 sounds like there'll be some nice backstory with Alice+Clover, and doesn't really leave anyone in danger of dying unless Clover betrays and we ally, or K betrays and T+Q ally. Option 2 is nice because Luna's likely to ally and we can either betray her to get Alice to 4 and Sigma to 8, or ally and put both Sigma and Luna in range of winning. The rest generally have little to worry about - Tenmyouji could die but Clover could afford a point less if they agree to let Tenmyouji and Quark betray. Option 1 isn't really that interesting, but Tenmyouji and Quark can get some free points from the trusting Luna and we get K, who's a pretty fascinating character.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Kangra posted:

At least we won't have to hear 'B.O.' for a while.

I think B.O was chosen to rhyme with Dio - it's a fairly short name and there aren't that many ways to make a nickname out of it. I don't like it but I guess they were strapped on ideas.

I think it's pretty much a given whoever is going with Quark and Tenmyouji is going to have to Betray to prevent Quark from winning, and Quark and Tenmyouji have to betray to prevent Tenmyouji from losing. The only caveat is with Luna - she seems to always Ally, so the pair can either Ally in safety or Betray. I don't know if she'd be willing to Betray just to prevent Quark from winning though.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
One thing about the K/Clover betrayal is that they had no idea about the penalties for dropping to 0 BP - Zero III didn't say that they'd die either if someone escapes, just be trapped here. Alice didn't seem to mind until the penalties were explained - likely Clover and Alice just thought it was fine for just one of them to escape and come back with help later. Now that Clover knows she might be killing Alice she'd be a lot less inclined to betray her. We don't know anything about K, so we don't know if he'd kill someone by betraying.

In any case, there's little point for Sigma or Luna to betray here for their own benefit since they can't win this round. Phi doesn't need to betray either, but she's paired with Dio who likely would.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
How is betraying when you have 1 BP telling people you can't be trusted? It's basic survival instinct, which anyone should understand. You're doing it to save yourself. If you were starving and you killed a wild dog for food, are you telling people that you're into animal cruelty? Nope, you're doing it to survive.

Allying even when you're in danger either shows that you definitely don't think the other person would betray you, or you're gullible enough to think the other person won't betray you.

If I was against someone who only had 1 BP, I'd expect them to betray, and wouldn't really think anything bad about them if they did - I'd be doing the same thing. If they ally instead, it's a pleasant surprise if anything.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Rinaldo posted:

It's a translation error. In the Japanese version he says "Last time you and Clover chose to betray".

In that case, wouldn't he only want to go with Luna, since she was the only one of the three Solos who didn't betray? Odd that he'd single out K here. At least K mentioned he didn't want to go with Alice either.

Anyway, Option A is really the best choice - it keeps both K and Tenmyouji happy, it's likely neither Dio or K will win after the next round, and we have a good shot of allying with Luna and getting 7 points. Alice and Clover won't be as happy but it shouldn't be that hard to smooth things over with them.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Assuming none of the information the cast has told us so far was a lie, that would probably rule out Quark and Tenmyouji, and likely Clover. Probably rule out K simply because of it being too obvious, so that would leave Phi, Dio, Luna and Alice.

I'd go with Dio simply because he's the most dapper and it would be funny if someone programmed him to be a jerk.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

LupusAter posted:

Gotta say, K's jazz hands pose in his surprised expression has a certain charm.

I can't stop laughing at his surprised expression, it just looks hilarious to me.

And Quark's disappearance is really odd - there can't have been many places for him to run, right? Outside of the three initial rooms. He might have ducked into the Gaulem Bay or wherever it was Phi's group went, but it shouldn't take them that long to go through the five rooms.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The one thing is that we don't really have a motive for killing Alice. Barring any potential personal grudges, if we look at it from the perspective of an AB game player, one reasonable conclusion is to guarantee Ally in any potential future rounds. It's basically giving the group a free Luna - someone who'll always Ally. You could even kill two people for double the benefit.

The most probable killers, barring some weird form of suicide or psycho Quark, would be the people who stand to gain the most from an easy Betray - Clover, K and Dio. Ruling out Clover, it might be one of those two.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
There should be a no-brainer for this choice - there's no point to either of them betraying, as said. Looks like we're well on our way to allying, and Luna'd look like a colossal tool if she betrayed. And that was pretty clever of Phi, actually, I'm impressed.

More concerning is Tenmyouji and Clover. I think we're most likely looking at a double betray situation here - Clover's too suspicious not to do it, and Tenmyouji both wants to save himself and prevent Clover from winning.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
So we have magenta, cyan, yellow, green, blue and red, so my best guess is we're mixing a primary colour with a complement. This seems to limit any choices though - if that's true we're stuck with Luna for the third time.

I suppose another possibility is primary colours can pair up with any secondary that has their primary as one of the bases - so red can pair with either yellow or magenta, for example. If that's the case, our options would be either Tenmyouji or Alice.

In any case, it seems the colour breakdown is:

Magenta pair: Sigma/Phi
Green solo: Luna
Red solo: Tenmyouji
Blue solo: Alice
Cyan pair: Clover + Dio/Quark
Yellow pair: K + Quark/Dio

Interesting pairing opportunities, though at least two people will be in trouble if they don't find Quark.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Bruceski posted:

They've got 45 minutes plus time until the next vote after the white rooms, and have an underground complex full of various supplies. Cobble together some metal cover to put over the lever. Doesn't have to be Fort Knox, just enough that nobody can grab the lever without giving the others time to stop them.

But nooooooo, everybody's off looking for the kid instea.d of thinking ahead.

Or that if they don't find Quark before the doors close, Clover and Tenmyouji die.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
No blood, but the bracelet's off. I call shenanigans or poison.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Hogama posted:

She also looks like she has a bloody finger, so she might have been awake trying to do something. Unless her killer tampered with the scene, I suppose.

Clearly she was trying to write 11037 on the wall behind her. :v:

The other question is, where would anyone even get handcuffs from? K might know if we find him, he's the last person of the group who went through the infirmary.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Well, hi Quark, kinda.

And man that shot of Tenmyouji's hand with the cut creeps me out. They really knew how to make that wound look deep.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Fedule, you are a master of suspense. :allears:

I think Fedule's been hanging around orenoren too long.

Assuming Dio's the one who killed both Alice and the lady though, that still implies a time he was conscious before the AB game started. He woke up with Quark though, so there's something.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

tiistai posted:

So,

- Dio kills the lady
- Dio hides the knife
- Alice finds the knife
- Dio knows Alice found it, takes it from her and kills her with it, leaving the knife in the body
- Everybody finds the dead Alice, sees the knife
- Clover and Luna have an argument, Clover runs away
- Dio comes in to the room, finds Luna in whatever state she's in, leaves after pocketing the knife and "this thing" from Alice's body

Why?

Alternate possibility: assuming someone else is the killer, maybe once Dio came in and saw Luna dead, he took the knife for self-protection. Wouldn't be a huge leap of logic.

And the thing is the key, isn't it? Alice took it while we were going through the GAULEM bay.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Wyvernil posted:

Well, now we've reached the first roadblock in the game, so that's the end of that path for the moment. Now the game really begins. :getin:

So, in essence, the votes would work sort of like this, with the combined votes of an upper route contributing to the final choice?

AB Game 2: Betray (19)

Chromatic Door 2: Red (4), Blue (7), Green (19)

AB Game 1: Betray (5), Ally (30)

Chromatic Door 1: Yellow (20), Cyan (14), Magenta (35)

I wouldn't say that's quite fair to the Door 1 choices. I'd imagine it'd work like this:

AB Game 2: 19
Chromatic Door 2: Red (4), Blue (7), Total: 11
AB Game 1: Betray (5)
Chromatic Door 1: Yellow (20), Cyan (14), Total: 34

So it'd be a win that we go back to the first door, and from there Yellow would win. That's my assumption anyway, don't know how Fedule is actually breaking it down.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Dr. Stab posted:

One thing I've noticed is that the first option has won every poll so far. Is there another polling site that makes it so that the order of the options are randomized?

I think it's more coincidence than anything. People are clearly just interested in allying with Luna a bunch.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Divergences occur during voting and/or picking a door, from all indication.

I think what was being pointed out was that after the first door, we don't seem to be able to go through our pick of the three doors - it's either we get two doors to pick, or just one.

So I guess if we hadn't picked Luna for the green door, either K or Clover would object to going with Sigma.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Spatula City posted:

I think people find it hard to betray likable characters like Luna and Tenmyougi. Now, if it were Dio or Quark, the decision would be MUCH easier.

I'm sure it'd get easier to do it if we ever got betrayed by them. I'm just wondering what the thread consensus is on Quark though, he's pretty much 90% coma.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

DaveWoo posted:

Well, considering that we're at 1 BP right now, yeah, I'd say we're probably going to be leaning a bit towards Betrayal in future rounds.

Now watch as somehow Betraying in the next round gets us a bad end as Fedule cackles maniacally.

But man, Alice can't catch a break, can she? 2 AB games and she's at 1 BP for both of them.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Alright, so possible combinations:

Option A: Sigma+Clover+Quark, Alice+K+Dio, Luna+Phi+Tenmyouji
Option B: Sigma+Clover+Tenmyouji, Alice+K+Quark, Luna+Phi+Dio
Option C: Sigma+Clover+Dio, Alice+K+Tenmyouji, Luna+Phi+Quark

If this path is like the last route we took, I'm guessing we'll get two options to choose from and the last option will be if we betrayed Ten.

Curious how Sigma always seems to be in a pair, though, same as Phi.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Nidoking posted:

I have no idea how you came to this conclusion from the information presented in the thread.

Feinne posted a screenshot of the flowchart a while back? After Allying with Luna the first time it showed only two paths diverging from it.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I'm actually with Alice, it was smart of her to stop Clover when she did, from her perspective. I mean, we know Sigma's clear (right?), but she doesn't.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Sentient Data posted:

That's it exactly, were you at the same garage sale with the creepy old man that kept muttering to himself? Come to think of it, did you notice how his face was nothing but a hellish combination of the inky abyss and the most hyper realistic blood you've ever seen? Pretty sure it was punctuated only by glowing red eyes that bore into my very soul as I shakily handed over my crumpled birthday money

Did that old man happen to look like Tenmyouji, actually?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Wait, so Quark's hat isn't fused to his head? I feel gypped.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
See, that's what happens when Quark loses his hat.

Axelavir, huh? Couldn't be a reference to Cleaver Clover the Axe ending or anything?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Kay Kessler posted:

I'm still interested in seeing a Luna vs. Dio round, just to see the aftermath conversation after the inevitable betrayal. Also, from what I remember of how little I played, choosing Tenmyoji takes you to the one infamous room.

It seems like picking Alice at the first three doors matches Quark and Dio against Luna, and Clover and K against Tenmyouji, so that should be interesting.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Aumanor posted:

Out of all the players that can reach 9 points in this round, I'd say Clover is the one we can safely allow to. She won't escape without Alice, who won't get to 9 for at least 3 more rounds, and even if they were both above the threshold, tey seem to be more interested in figuring zero and this place out than bailing out of here.

Unless Alice dies again, in which case she'd probably flip everyone the bird and throw the switch.

legendsuper posted:

I don't really see Dio as a prick. It just seems that the odds are never in his favor.

Is Tenmyouji going to stand up at some point when Quark is going to be in danger and go, 'I volunteer!'?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Regy Rusty posted:

If Dio pulls off a successful betrayal he'll have enough points to escape.

You could say the same of K, Tenmyouji, Quark or Clover.

In fact, given K/Clover and Quark/Dio's voting trends in the first round, it's rare to have a second AB game without someone in danger of dying/winning.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Considering that Phi was making bad puns in the security office while they were all still worried about Tenmyouji and Clover in the last route, it's probably just her design and smile that's wigging you out.

It's still too early to tell if any of the information in the room will change our perspective on Dio, but so far it seems like he's pretty inclined to Betray.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Rith posted:

There was Santa's 'Any of you chumps know Japanese? No? Well, "san" means "3"' line, which made absolutely no sense, given that they didn't change any of the obviously Japanese character names. Maybe it was a terrible joke on Santa's part: asking a group of evidently Japanese people, probably in Japanese, whether they knew Japanese? I suppose 'it's a terrible joke' is usually a safe bet in these games.

(Speaking of which: I wasn't sure about Clover in this game at first, but she won me over with this update. I hadn't realised how much I'd been missing all of Junpei's horrible puns in his absence.)

I think it might have made slightly more sense if Santa had asked if they knew Chinese instead, since "san" also means "3" there. Would still have been kind of weird since Japanese people would know exactly what it meant, but... ehh.

• Locked thread