Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Cyan to screw up as quickly as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
I'm going to speculate that the AB game is some version of the Prisoner's Dilemma. The hallmarks are there; a group of people that has no reason to trust each other, being isolated into separate rooms, incentive to betray others to improve your own situation.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
I'm going to guess that the BP won't update until we're through the next set of chromatic doors. Since they're different colors this time we'll be teaming up with different people. You don't have the option to immediately strangle someone who betrayed you and you get intel on the next person you're going up against.

Also, in the version of the Prisoner's Dilemma with multiple trials it's usually to your advantage to ally in the first round.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

booksnake posted:

Also hah, zero sum games, zero escape, I see what the writers were doing here.

:eng101: This is not a zero-sum game. In a zero sum game we would be competing directly for eachother's points. Everyone has 3 right now, so in a zero-sum game those 27 points would be all the points we ever get. You'd have to compete to be one of the maximum 3 people who gets 9 points and leaves.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Murdering K honestly seems like a good option at this point. If for no other reason then to get people to stop being jerks.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

alcharagia posted:

How are you going to murder that guy, out of curiosity?

I mean far be it from me to poke holes in your ideas, but... you've looked at him, right?

Being in armor doesn't make you invincible. A strong blow to the head will still cause a coup-contrecoup brain injury. :black101:

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
We've already seen the next set of door - red, blue, and green. Absent some other kind of rules-fuckery, it seems like we're stuck with Alice this time around.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

tiistai posted:

This reminds me of a thing that bothered me in 999, namely how the hell didn't Snake's bracelet fall off his prosthetic wrist. I mean, they did sense the heartbeat, as well.

I guess it could have just been built differently, especially if Snake was in on the whole deal.

You're forgetting that nearly all of the bracelets, except those of the 9th man and fake Snake, were duds that only opened doors. Snake had no problem simply taking his off at one point, presumably others could but noone was brave enough to try.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

ApplesandOranges posted:

Okay, so our options:

1. Sigma+Alice+K, Tenmyouji+Quark+Luna, Dio+Phi+Clover

I'd have to go for this option. Dio and Phi together are inevitably going to betray someone and Clover can take a hit; Tenmyouji will keep Quark in line if need be and Luna's a shoe-in to ally with them, and it really simplifies our choice since betraying K is a good choice whatever he does.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
There's an additional confounding factor here - the potential that one of the players is a traitor who is attempting to kill the others while (presumably) not being subject to the penalties themselves. That player will want to betray as frequently as they can while concealing their actions. They would always betray in the first round before the rest of the players knew the rules, and then betray as often as they could afterward to drive point totals down. They probably wouldn't kill the first player themselves, but would not hesitate to do so afterward once the precedent is set.

Another confounding factor is the game master (Zero III), who may alter some or all of the rules to aid the traitor. Changing auto-ally to auto-betray on the fly (say, if people elect to stay out of the rooms) or other rules alterations can change strategies.

One of the better strategies might be a mutual pact - anyone who chooses betray will be killed (or disabled if anyone finds a rope) by all the other members. Presumably the rest of the players could disable whoever the traitor was. This is further confounded by K, who may or may not be a robot that could not be disabled by humans.

I advocate teaming up with K since we need to betray someone to protect Alice, and of all the players he's the one we can most easily say that we don't trust.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
My question is, where's K's left leg?

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

Aumanor posted:

So... Our perfect strategy of having no one play the AB game goes down the drain- trying that will just get everyone killed. I guess it would make no sense for Zero to leave a zero-risk solution to the problem.

:eng101: Right-o. We're hitting something called the Nash equilibrium. That is, in a situation where there are many choices of action people will tend towards the collection of choices where no-one would be happier making a different choice. In the Prisoner's Dilemma, if both parties choose to ally, one would be happier choosing betray since they get more points. If one chose betray and one chose ally, the one choosing ally would be happier choosing betray since they wouldn't lose points. If both choose betray, neither would be happier choosing ally. Therefore the tendency is toward double betrayal.

The way to get past the Nash equilibrium is to create a contract where you agree to alter the costs so that betrayal is less attractive. Considering the cost here is death, the contract would have to involve death.

So my murder-pact solution still stands - kill anyone who betrays.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Anyone with even a passing knowledge of anatomy would realize there's notable difference between the human skeleton and the gaulem fame, so examination by palpitation would be pretty easy - assuming you could get people to agree to it.

The Chinese room is about the nature of understanding. The old boy's analogy was flawed since it contained errors that could be discovered by deeper examination; it's generally accepted that if there are no flaws that can be discovered and you can perfectly respond to any input, there's no functional difference between that and what we call understanding.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
I wonder what natural language pundits would say about Watson, the computer that understands natural language well enough to beat the best human players at Jeopardy.

The question of our bodies being controlled by some external force, the "soul" if you will, has already been tested and debunked based on the total dependence of the mind on the physical brain. Alter the physical brain and you alter the mind. One fun example was a split brain patient who had two separate personalities - one that controlled the mouth and one that communicated through the left hand. They were different enough that one personality was Christian and one was an atheist.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Oh, Clover, are you murdering people again? What a scamp.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

Glazius posted:

This is an interesting game to look at, knowing how the patterns cropped up in 999. We haven't had any STRANGE TALES OF PHILOSOPHY make interesting chains into each other yet, but I'm wondering if anything that we found so far could chain into the Chinese Room.

Dio did mention Schrodinger's Cat was on a file in another room.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
I assume the whole flipped letter thing is supposed to be harder for Japanese audiences since they'd be less familiar with English characters.

That said, my bet is that Quark is in the suit and the mysterious K is behind this all.

Also, Sigma is totally a robot.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

Fedule posted:

Be very careful when discussing this change.

Claydolls probably references the Terracotta Army, since both they and Myrmidons were ancient warriors who obeyed without question.

The most obvious reference is to the Gaulems, and seems to implicate that they were intended primarily as a military force.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
It's probably something simpler, like

Login: Nineth
Password: Mori

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Who's to say that everyone isn't infected? If they were all processing at the same speed, who would notice? It would also explain why the countdown timers seem so ridiculously fast.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Maybe in this iteration Quark hasn't been infected with Radical-6 and so he was able to act faster then Dio.

There's a whole bunch of little hints that the true ending is somewhere along this branch.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
So, after all this, I resubmit the best solution to all this: the mutual murder pact. Agree on an outcome, and anyone who doesn't go along with the group consensus gets killed by the rest of the group. Not looking so bad now after all the poo poo people pulled, huh?

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
The other end is labeled with the katakana "ra", indicating whatever it is begins with an R if that helps.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Hopefully we can explain to Luna that we'll collapse this branch out reality when we open the quantum catshit box or however this ends.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Why it does so was only discovered recently:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmlAYnFF_s8

Advice: stay away from this guy's other videos.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
Dio, are you murdering people again? Honestly, we can't let you out of our sight for one second.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

It's because we never learn. :allears:

Or because people see a dead end coming quickly and want to fill it out.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
And now Quark will miraculously recover and escape for reasons unexplained.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
A boy, raised in a laboratory as an experiment, rejected when he doesn't meet his father's expectations... sounds familiar.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
This is a zero escape game, so absurd pseudoscience babble is always a possible explanation.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
:iiam:

Is that the password for the computer we saw way back? Milkevoli?

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

Fedule posted:

Knock it off!

You stop committing suicide RIGHT NOW young lady! And put on a shirt!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
I mentioned before that the timers seem to tick down way too fast, that the dialogue spoken can't account for 45 minutes just disappearing.

• Locked thread