Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Calling it now: this is the Funyarinpa.

Seshoho Cian posted:

Additionally, they spell "dunno" wrong and it makes ME IRRATIONALLY ANGRY :argh:

Seconding that. :argh:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

A remix of Unary Game is the best music for the first puzzle.

If only the room was flooding, it'd be a perfect homage~

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

saihate posted:

Luna really IS an Audino. Just wait for her to whip out Heal Pulse with that medical license.

Luna seems more like the Nurse at the Pokemon Center, with the ADAM being that machine that you put your Pokemon in.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Dr. Stab posted:

The game is kinda broken in emulating the prisoner dilemma, since there's a strategy we can employ that does not require any trust on the part of the participants. Since a betray/ally still results in a net gain of points, and a betray/betray results in no net loss of points, if the players agree beforehand to always choose betray/ally (such that the person with the fewest points chooses betray so that nobody will ever die), then eventually everyone will get enough points.

I might be misinterpreting what you're trying to say, but I think there might be a problem in your reasoning.

If someone says "Hey, I'll choose ally" and then chooses betray while the other person chooses ally, then they successfully conned that person and put them closer to death.

Color Printer posted:

As for Luna....

Well now I'm just imagining Luna laughing maniacally and slamming her hand down on the "BETRAY" button. It's a pretty funny image.

If I were more clever, I'd be able to turn that into a joke about medical malpractice.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Phi rationalizes it very well.

In a perfect world, everyone would ally and be able to trust each other. But with everyone starting out as strangers, betrayal is bound to happen. And even as they get to know each other in the subsequent rounds (which there have to be since no one can get 9 yet), there's still that stigma of being betrayed in Round 1 in addition to the desperation of the betrayed not wanting to be stuck at 1 BP while the others get closer to escape. So more betrayals will happen as a result.

With that in mind, choosing Ally is open to more risk than reward due to the fact that you need three rounds to get 9 BP and also risk losing 2 BP if someone betrays you.

So betrayal is the more powerful and sensible option, but only if it's done against someone you can convince to ally with you. Furthermore, betraying offers you safety, since doing it prevents you from losing any points. Of course, you also can't gain points and can end up just as stuck as someone with low BP from allying foolishly.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Sorites posted:

What was the point of making you earn your way into the AB rooms? I suspect there'll soon be an element of "If you don't solve the puzzles fast enough, you'll be locked out and can be safely betrayed in absentia". What else would the auto-Ally rule be for?

I'm assuming that this is essentially what the puzzle rooms are for.

That or Zero needs them to do something in the puzzle rooms for some crazy reason like in 999.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Zandar posted:

Is Sigma going to be as much of a dick as Junpei?

Junpei was only a dick outside of Door 3, as I recall. Otherwise, he was fairly cool about going with the flow until the last three doors when he stuck with Clover to hear more of her story about the previous Nonary Game.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

The "Stupid Jerkface" outcome strikes again!

I love how the game is set up for you to awkwardly stare at the person you just betrayed/look into the eyes of the person you just murdered. Zero III is a wonderful little sadist.

And, I suppose Zero Sr./Zero II(?) is as well.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Zyla posted:

Maybe Tenmoyouji has a really huge estate and quark wants a piece of that sweet, sweet inheritance earlier.

A summer home with a pool is nicer than a root beer float.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Kinfolk910 posted:

Re: Prisoner's dilemma.

Maybe the one that was thrown at me in class wasn't the true classic. The one I did in class was the kind where "Work together to get ahead, split up to fail." sort of thing. As expected we were supposed to talk to our "fellow prisoners" and discuss things.

I think the original dilemma is something along the lines of:

Criminal A and Criminal B are arrested and put into separate rooms.

A is told that he is going to be in jail for a year if he doesn't confess, but if he gives evidence on B, then he will go free. B, meanwhile, will have four years. But if they both confess, they get two years.

B is then told the same thing.

So, the question is, do you trust the other prisoner enough to not rat you out and increase your jail time? Or do you both trying to rat each other out and cause your sentence to double?

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Jun 4, 2013

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Does it bother no one else that Zero III is calling Clover "Cleaver" considering what happened in the non-canon Axe Ending?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Poland Spring posted:

Here we have a laundry detergent mascot reject chirping pun filled exposition at us every few minutes. I get it's SO CUTE and CHEERFUL but that is really not what I enjoy this series for, and it deflates the atmosphere and tension.

Yeah, Zero III is definitely odd. In some ways, he's rather adorable, but also a bit creepy.

I do like how the VA at least sells the difference between the two sides to his character, but it is weird to see a virtual rabbit as one of the "Zero"es of the game after how grounded in reality the first game was... for the most part.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Seems that Clover betrayed Alice intentionally, judging by her reaction.

If she hadn't, Alice likely would've been upset at just K.

Justin_Brett posted:

"I know, I'll tell the guy his grandson is secretly a sociopath out to kill him! What WON'T he buy about that?"

"And I'll have him talk the exact same way that I do! It's GENIUS."

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Wild Knight posted:

Why can't we see Sigma in these shots? Is that important, or is that the game specifically taking every possible measure to anonymize Sigma, to the extent of not showing not only his face and his voice, but his model?

He's not in the voting mugshots either.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Zandar posted:

We still haven't seen how Zero would react to physical violence, though. Trying to restrain him could get you penalised.

Someone was murdered and he didn't say a thing.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Color Printer posted:

He only managed to get it off because he crushed his prosthetic arm a bit. Junpei definitely also tried to get his off in the beginning. Them being securely attached was real; the detonator was false. (Jury's still out on whether or not there were actually any bombs in their intestines, though.)

June only put bombs in Cap, Guy X, and the 9th Man. (I can't recall all of their names.)

I'm pretty certain she didn't put one in Ace, since that could have potentially ruined the chance for him to go to Door 1 and confess on that camera that she had set up.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

KasaiAisu posted:

I'd have to check and see if Snake's bracelet detached when he died in one of the bad ends, I'm somewhat curious now. The only plotholes I've found earlier have been directly caused by pseudoscience, normally they're good for this sort of thing.

Snake doesn't die in any of the bad endings, because he's in the coffin the whole time.

His bracelet seems kind of like a red herring when you think about it. The fact that he can remove it at any time never came into play during the True Ending.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Or she opens it and realizes he's alive, only to feel a deep sense of shame about all of the murders.

And then they die in the incinerator.

On the topic of bad endings, I hope this game has some really good ones. The nine door being in plan sight and the betrayal system makes me a bit nervous that some of them might be variations of "Haha, I have 9 BP, later suckers." But I hope too many of them aren't like that.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Jun 6, 2013

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Fedule posted:

Sadly, we may never meet again.

VLR OST: [Confession]

Ahh, the sad music of this game. Perfect place to have it play for the first time. :allears:

Seriously, though, not having Zero III's antics anymore is pretty upsetting.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Phelddagrif posted:

I'm guessing that the "auto-ally" rule for those who don't vote will have to change for the next rounds (auto-betray, perhaps?) since the players know what ally means now. Otherwise, they could just agree as a group to not play the AB game at all. Everyone stays out of the rooms, everyone allies, everyone gets 2 points risk-free.

An auto-betray default seems pointless. I mean, if it says something like "If no votes are registered, everyone will auto-betray" then everyone will either vote normally, or just pick betray to avoid losing points.

Auto-ally has a far greater risk and therefore more incentive for people to go into the booths to vote.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Well, I think it's clear what's going on.

Zero is the mistress. She's pissed that Sigma didn't call her the day after.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

theshim posted:

Cloverrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :argh:

Once again, vital information comes down to "make Clover trust you". drat it all.

Only instead of the Axe Ending, you get the Vogue Ending. It's basically where she just kinda poses for Sigma while everyone else sneaks out the 9 door and leaves him to die.

Fedule posted:

Why is Zero making us do all this?

Um... Well, this is just, um, speculation, but...
Maybe it's... for entertainment. So rich, powerful people can watch.

Entertainment?

Yes. They're probably off in an opulent theater, watching us struggle while they drink brandy and eat caviar...

Isn't that exactly what Lord Gordain's Nonary Game was?

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jun 10, 2013

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Chilblain posted:

Shortly after escaping the Nonary Game for the second time, Snake decided to place a copyright upon that pose and sue anyone else who placed their hand on their chin. This Nonary Game was put together by Clover all for the purpose of making him realize how ridiculous that is.

Alice also decided to take part since Nonary Games and interventions are interchangeable in Japan.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

curiousCat posted:

Junpei read the note in 999. It was read by Zero over the speakers in the japanese version.

That note only existed to tie up an issue that couldn't be addressed in English.

Nine is "kyu" in Japanese, and since it was the Nonary Game, everyone just assumed the door they was searching for was 9.

They didn't realize that Zero had actually told them that the door was seriously Q so they wouldn't be stuck in there and die.

Which... actually sheds some new light on why Akane gets pissed at Junpei in the kitchen for not being able to solve that base-9 code if you keep messing it up.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Fedule posted:

Sigma! You have to choose!

Wh-What? Why me?

Please, just do it!

Ah, the woes of being an RPG protagonist.

Maybe hanging out with Clover and Alice will get them both to trust us?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Voting is off-site now, Rent.

But it is interesting to see how the votes all have their merits now.

Luna is the safest option if we assume that no one in the next round gets 9 and tries to ditch us.

Clover has information that might be helpful to us, even though they're likely just 999 spoilers. That organization did sound interesting, though.

And K... well, he's a guy in a robot suit. What's not to like?

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jun 12, 2013

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

tiistai posted:

Maybe she just, I dunno, trusts Sigma.

Or Luna is genre savvy enough to recognize main characters on sight.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

xxlicious posted:

There IS that parallel there, yeah, but this implies that the very first choice we made got us off the true end, doesn't it? If that's the case, I would've expected him to break down right after the first round of the AB game, actually, when the results were announced.

Choosing Door 5 in 999 immediately locks you out of the True Ending for that playthrough, but Akane still behaves normally throughout the game.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Pierzak posted:

And now we see Alice's evil face.

I'm pretty sure she made that same face when Zero III told them that their bracelets killed them at 0 BP.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

curiousCat posted:

You know what character you guys will love?

All of them.

Even the corpse of the old lady!?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Well, I think it's clear what's going on.

Zero is the mistress. She's pissed that Sigma didn't call her the day after.

Either this person is British, or my theory had more credence than I thought. :tinfoil:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

So, someone in the group is a GAULEM, eh?

I wonder if that extends to the "dead" old woman in the infirmary, or just the living cast.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

RentCavalier posted:

So, in addition to a death game, somebody in the group may very well be an android and won't even know it. That's a spooky thought.

Yep!

So, now we're in a game with a murderer, an android, a potential axe murderer, psycho Quark, and a mysterious robot man.

Assuming none of those are overlapping people, this is very spooky!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I might be wrong, but I though G-OLM was voiced by Nolan North.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

morsanlgeos posted:

Speaking of thought experiments, did the Locke's Socks/Ship of Theseus reference in 999 actually relate to the story at all, or did the doll just remind Clover of Snake's arm?

I had assumed that it was related to Snake's arm. But, considering that Clover brought it up after Junpei showed her the bookmark, chances are that it did have relevance to the previous Nonary Game and the morphogenetic fields.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

King of Solomon posted:

This right here is a good example of Clover's smile being part of her default model making her look weird and wrong. Such a weird decision on the developers' part.

She looks like she's getting ready to cut someone. :stonk:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Well, that just made voting easie-

...Aww, poo poo, Clover's gonna cut someone, isn't she? :stonk:

And the fact this death trap has edible food makes it seem far less menacing than the first one!

Fedule posted:

You must've done a lot of drugs to look like that at twenty-two.

Fedule posted:

This might seem hard to believe at--

Oh come on, at least let me tell you first!

In lighter news, Phi is steadily moving closer to becoming the best character with each update. :allears:

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Jun 29, 2013

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Looking closely, I noticed a knife handle in Alice's breasts.

LupusAter posted:

On a meta level, Clover is the perfect red herring, but she did stop to talk to Alice... I don't know what to think.

Didn't Clover mention that she and Alice are co-workers in an organization?

Besides, they've been fairly familiar with each other up to this point, including Alice reacting in worry about Clover when she saw her with K at the beginning of the game.

Seems pretty likely that Clover and Sigma of the remaining people definitely aren't the murderers.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jun 30, 2013

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

They're gonna need her bracelet, especially since before Zero Jr. told us that we need three people per door, no exceptions. Or in the case now, three bracelets.

Which means that they can take it now by virtue of necessity without looking guilty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Well, I never said it was a motive. I was just speaking hypothetically based on an earlier person's post.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jul 1, 2013

• Locked thread