Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
The early speculation on bracelets reminds me of the speculation I had with my friends when promotional material for the game came out. We made up the craziest stuff, none of which I will tell you about so you can think of those same crazy things yourself! Ah, the memories. :allears: I can't wait to see what everyone thinks of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

MonsterEnvy posted:

It was?

I think it does take place after but did anything say it did.
The 999 Q&A says the game is set in 2027. The very first image on the very first update gives us the date the game takes place in.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

whitehelm posted:

On the other hand, this could be an indication she's going psycho early. She smiled quite a bit when she had the axe.
Without spoiling anything, Clover's character models are just kind of weird with her expressions. There are many times where they don't quite match what she is saying and the tone behind it. It's even odder because there is a variant of that model where she's frowning after speaking in that same pose, but it just isn't used for some reason.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

whitehelm posted:

It was a joke. I doubt anyone actually thinks the next update will be her pulling out an axe.
It wasn't really a response to the axe as much as it was a response to the comment on character models in general. Clover's is really the only one with this issue thankfully.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Sorites posted:

Heya, just got in on this thread (I had to marathon the 999 LP first). Question: Do we know the ages of the characters? I mean, the game's pretty anime even compared to 999, which already had some age/appearance ratio shenanigans (See: Snake being in his twenties; Lotus being forty).

I mainly ask because of the "Grandpa" exchange from the first update, but also so it won't come out of left field if we later find out Quark's like thirty and the character artists assumed that was obvious (as with everyone giving Lotus poo poo for being old when she looks about nineteen).
That would be a negative. Unlike 999, which had ages given to you on the Japanese site, VLR doesn't have any official ages on either variation of the site. Quark is mentioned to be 10 in descriptions and you can assume Clover is about a year older given the time gap between 999's end (2027) and VLR's start (late 2028), but that's about it.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Magenta Door with Luna.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Fall posted:

I'll bring it up when it becomes relevant and no longer a (very minor) spoiler.
Did you even read the first post? Because if you did you'll know this isn't allowed either in regards to the spoiler policy.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Hey Fedule, if you see this could I possibly have a way to contact you via email? I'm not positive how kosher this is or if it falls under the dreaded :filez: but I recently came to purchase the 999/VLR art book and can offer some scans of concept art you can use if you want to, since the most that can be found around the web are low-quality camera shots.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
What, no annoying map movement gif that goes on for way too long and can't be skipped at all? These poor people who never played the game will now never know the joy of having to wait through dots moving on a blueprint map, without being able to skip it the first time through.

Still not as bad as 999's d-pad fastforward, but still awful.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Spatula City posted:

What is this dot movement thing being talked about? I'm confused. :saddowns:
Fedule spared you all of having to watching a blinking dot moving on a blueprint map to the location and instead just outlined the course it took. Think yourselves lucky.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

njsykora posted:

We should also point out that the bartender was serving a child alcohol, nobody's pointed that out yet.
Hey, it only said son not child. For all we know he could have been legal, going for a drink with his parents. Only he decided to be an rear end in a top hat and lie about it, causing everyone trouble. What a little rear end in a top hat. :argh:

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
I have to say that this is the scene that really made me like Phi. As a player it is rather instinctive that you trust other characters in the game to have best intentions in bad situations, but the truth is you never really know. Betray is actually the best option in a real world situation because you either get nothing or gain something by conning the other person. Picking Ally is risky in comparison because you either get 2 points or you lose 3. Phi understands this and can be very pragmatic about the situation. I kind of wish she was the player character rather than Sigma, but oh well.

(Also Fedule, is it ok to talk about the OVA now?)

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

distactedOne posted:

If we assume we want all 9 players out, we want to gain as many total points as possible.

Ally/Ally is +6 points, Betray/Betray is a waste of a round.

For Ally/Betray, if the pair is the traitor, that's +4 in total. If the solo backstabs, it's -1.

There's just no reason to betray. Assuming we want all 9 players out.
If you just want to get yourself out, you can hypothetically escape in two rounds, blah blah things already said by others.

I don't know what Phi is thinking, acting like betrayal is the rational option.

If it were me, I'd chuck my AB card in the trash and let the system automatically ally.
Your math is a little off there dude.

Ally/Ally: Sigma, Phi and Luna all get 2 points each.
Betray/Betray: None of them get any points. No gain, no loss.
Betray/Ally: Sigma and Phi get 3 points, while Luna loses 2 points.
Ally/Betray: Sigma and Phi lose 2 points, while Luna gets 3 points.

And you sort of need to think about the situation they're in. Locked in a place with total strangers (only a couple people seem to know one another from before), one of them is the person who locked everyone in and on top of that they just found a dead body. From our perspective as the player we can be a little more rational about it, but from the perspective of a character kidnapped and forced to play an insane game, getting out ASAP may be the priority here. You may want to be nice and help everyone get out, but what about the others? Can you trust that they feel the same? That's the meaning behind the Ambidex Game - do you trust the other person not to con you if they can?

lotus circle fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jun 2, 2013

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

ProfessorProf posted:

Gain points: Closer to escaping, but we don't know how much closer, since it hasn't been stated (unless I missed it) how many rounds there are going to be. Gaining points slowly and steadily could be a viable strategy, or it could be suicide.
Round number hasn't been stated, but it's obviously more than once because no one can reach 9 BP with just one round of the game.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

njsykora posted:

Working out the ramifications of allying/betraying is going to be to this thread what digital roots were to the 999 thread.
At least we won't have to worry about complicated algorithm theories! Simple mathematics all the way :v:

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

People complain about the doors and the dot moving around, but for me the worst is

SIGGY

PHIIIIDOOOO

On repeat playthroughs, you can never skip it :suicide:
You can skip it though. Unless by repeat playthroughs you mean when you go down other routes.

Even then, moving blueprint map dot trumps all in the annoyance factor :v:

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Pierzak posted:

In normal-mode or psycho-mode? :v:
Now I'm imagining Clover trying to beat K with an axe and not being able to hit him through the armor. She just looks vaguely upset that she failed and K doesn't even really react to it.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

SharpWingedSpear posted:

Isn't every ending in 999 technically a 'cannon' ending? Akane could only know what information to give Junpei in the true ending because he had obtained the information in different possible outcomes. Semantics though.

Does anyone else feel that Zero III is a lot less compelling of a villain than Zero was in 999? Zero III is just DR-styled and not as imposing to me.
To be fair, Zero in 999 was a girl bent on revenge against the guys who hosed up her life and killed her in different continuums, along with trying to save her own life in the process. Kind of hard to top that.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
I really do love Erin Fitzgerald's voice work for Quark in that entire scene. It's definitely one of my favorite scenes to replay, especially when you can tell O'Brien is having a lot of fun voicing Dio as he explains what a horrible hellspawn Quark is.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Regy Rusty posted:

I always love Alice's "What the hell?" in this update for some reason.
Because it's so wonderfully voiced and genuinely gives the impression of how pissed off Alice is at the situation she's in right now. One Betray away from death. While Atsuko Tanaka is a great voice actress, I have to give this to Tara Platt. She knows how to hit the right range.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Wild Knight posted:

Even to the extent of not including them in group shots, huh?

So no water with the theory that Sigma is actually some sort of tangible ghost and is occasionally sneaking away from the group to give us, the player, these cinematic group shots.
This is Zero Escape we're talking about here. The game series where the protagonist saved his love interest in the past via telekinetic link up and she goes on a quest to make a stable time loop, while killing all the bastards who trapped her. Anything is possible in this series.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
I have to say, I'm looking forward to the next voting round and seeing what those reading blind will choose. It'll be a different voting process than we had the first time, where you were just picking who looked interesting. Now you need to actually think on who would benefit you best during the AB Game.

I imagine Luna will be the popular choice because she allied with you once before, but consider the following: K and Clover absolutely cannot pick Betray this time. Alice has 1 BP and now everyone is aware that dropping to 0 means death. Even if Sigma and Alice pick Betray and the Solo they go against pick Betray, the latter can easily be accused of attempted murder because Alice's 1 BP. For their best interest it would be naturally wiser to pick Ally unless they're cool with admitting that they were willing to kill someone to get out. Even if they may lose 2 of their points for it, it's a smarter alternative to attempting murder if they plan to get anyone to trust them again.

In short pairing up with Alice is the best possible situation. In theory, it gives you a free Ally-Ally no matter who you go with. Unless K or Clover are really big enough assholes to attempt murder by way of the AB Game, they're guaranteed to ally with you and it's more likely that Luna would pick Ally a second time than Betray.

(Also I swear I'm not giving anything away in this, I'm just commenting on the mechanics of the AB game in regards to gameplay and how the characters act in this situation. It's what makes VLR I think a great sequel and even superior to 999 in a way.)

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
I think these two images are out of order?

Edit: drat I hate getting top page. Update was at the end of the previous page folks.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Pierzak posted:

As for K grabbing the key and escaping, I don't think we've told him how exactly his armor lock looks like.

Actually they did! Back in the infirmary.

Fedule posted:

There's a hole here... on the back of your head.

Listen in: [English/Japanese]

A... hole?

Yeah, looks like you... insert something.
It says "OPEN", so maybe if you put some kind of key in there...

You could open up the suit and take the mask off...

They didn't explicitly describe what the hole looks like, but he's aware of where it is.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

slowbeef posted:

Even though I've played this game, I promise I've forgotten how/if Chinese Room comes into play to the story proper.

I read it as GOL-M is a form of distributed AI (not really, it's the closest comparison I can think of). His explanations and reactions to the group are an example of Chinese Room. If GOL-M lost his connection to the "mainframe", he'd be "autonomous" in the sense he could still give pre-determined responses to experienced stimuli (that his creators/the master AI had already given him), but he's not sentient, nor could he react to completely new stimuli without the "mainframe" or whatever.

So it's sort of an extension of "I guess I feel pain, but only in the sense that I know how I should respond to it."

That's pretty much the gist of the concept as VLR presents it. GOL-M himself is practically a guy (or well, robot guy) in a Chinese Room, with Sigma, Luna and Alice acting as the people communicating with him through the door. They talk to him, he processes their reactions and simulates a human-like response. The idea of the Chinese Room as presented in VLR is that all people can, in a sense, be considered to be inside a Chinese Room. The girl in the room made the people she was communicating with think she knew Chinese because she was simulating the knowledge using a dictionary to send back messages. But because she never told anyone on the other side that she doesn't actually know Chinese, they're convinced that she does know Chinese. GOL-M proposes that humans pick out how they are going to react, usually on a subconscious level, and that isn't all too different from the girl simulating her knowledge of Chinese to those outside the door.

Basically the idea is that humans and AIs are not too far apart if a robot can simulate human behavior. And if a robot can properly convince everyone on the other side of the door that they're human, then what makes it different from a real human? Coupled with the fact that GAULEMs can be fitted to look human, it suddenly becomes clear that as long as there is no visible difference the GAULEM can pass for a human. And if it talks like a human, acts like a human, and looks like a human, then it may as well be a human.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Elite posted:

3) Somebody just got murdered like.. 5 minutes ago
Don't forget the old lady! That's two dead people right there. I think that's more than enough reason to want to get the hell out when no one has any idea who could have done it.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Spatula City posted:

I feel like the people who have played the game deliberately steered voting toward this outcome. Otherwise I can't explain why people wouldn't want to know what the deal with Alice is. :tinfoil:
Well if you recall the voting between Luna and Alice was actually pretty tight in the first set of doors and even in the second set Luna only won out by a small margin. I feel like people take too much for granted with "the people who know the game want to sway the LP direction" because while the game is popular, I doubt it's large enough for past players to have a large effect on voting.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Fedule posted:

If D-W80 is Dr. Who, and we continue assuming that the models actually mean something, what's GM? I'm sorry, I'm probably the only Brit in existence who doesn't follow Dr. Who. Please don't report me.
I'm assume it stands for Gallifrey Model, since that's the planet where the Time Lords come from.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
drat you Fedule now I can't influence the LP's direction with my insider info, you crafty jerk. :argh:

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

legoman727 posted:

So, it's just Sigma, Phi, Dio, and K left at this point. Oh geez. Is it safe to say that they're all screwed at this point? If I were those two, I'd grab Quark's bracelet and use it to get the hell out of here before I end up dead.

...Actually, the fact that his bracelet is still there should be really worrying. If the murderer just wanted to escape, he'd have taken the 9 point bracelet with him.
It doesn't matter if they have the 9 bracelet. The important thing is that their bracelet has 9 when they leave. If it doesn't, the injections happen. The door can be opened at any time by anyone, but they can only go through it safely if the bracelet they're wearing has 9 BP or more. Quark's 9BP bracelet would only be useful to Quark...if he wearing it any way.

edit: beaten, but point stands.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Personally I think it's better to just start over and pick Yellow or Cyan. Just to get a little taste of the other characters, since so far the LP has been fairly centered on Luna and not so much anyone else. And there would be a lot more content to get through by going down a whole new branch, rather than following the Magenta Door path.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Clarste posted:

Of course everyone loves Tenmyouji. I have to wonder about the people voting to betray Luna for no reason though (which is currently second highest). It's like kicking a puppy. Or maybe they just want to explore the branches systematically instead of going back to a moment we've already forgotten?
See this is the trick the game plays. Even if you know Luna won't betray you after seeing what happens when you ally with her, you need to betray her at some point to get full completion. It's even worse when you have a vita and you want that drat platinum trophy. :smith:

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

So, out of curiosity, if you know the password and username before you actually get that information in-game and input it here, do you actually get to bypass the To Be Continued screen entirely?

I mean, the fact that you can come back and redo it seems to imply that, but I just want to make sure.
Yes, you can skip the To Be Continued that way. Personally I looked it up without knowing what it was when I played for the first time, because I just wanted to see what would happen, and I will admit it wasn't a good idea. What I mean by it not being a good idea is, well, something I can't really say here!

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

miguelito posted:

For me, listening to this stuff in English actually makes her seem a lot more pleasant (even if that isn't saying much).
I'd be curious if the voice director even had her JP lines played in the studio for comparison, or if they just re-did the character from the ground up with the VA, personality and all.
She isn't the only one who has a very different English voice counterpart. Tenmyouji in the Japanese voicing is characterized more as just an elderly guy and that's about it. There's not much personality in the voice. He's far better acted in the English version and his voice matches his personality a lot more. The other characters...eh I'd say they're about the same between Japanese and English, with the notable exception being Zero III who is 99% different between the two versions.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
I'm hoping these results will, if nothing else, sway more votes to Betray in future voting rounds. The first taste of Betrayal is always bittersweet.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

unfair posted:

I didn't really realize how much I was enjoying Sigma's freedom from Phi until she showed back up again. I guess the constant snipes get old after a while - but maybe that would be different depending on how competent you were at the puzzles.
It isn't. The bits in the puzzle with her getting angry at Sigma only happen in easy mode if you mess up too many times. In hard mode you get very little character interaction because the game assumes you know what you're doing, so the characters don't really chime in. One of the downsides of the game design in comparison to 999, where the characters frequently spoke with Junpei and you didn't need to click things a hundred times for it.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
You've made a huge mistake thread. :golfclap:

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Kgummy posted:

Hey, Sigma promised he was going to ally. He didn't get Clover to promise.

All Sigma really needs to do is not go in the booth. Or just have someone strong keep Dio from entering the the voting booth, Sigma go in and ally.
Do you really think Dio is going to care who hits Betray or Ally? He just wants 9BP plain and simple. If he doesn't get to 9BP by the end of the round then it's safe to assume he'll smash that bottle. And if Dio is kept from entering the booth, he'll probably just smash the bottle right there and then because he can easily assume Sigma told someone the truth about the medicine.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry
Guys, poking holes into this isn't going to make you feel better. It is what it is. Besides, I think Sigma would be smarter than to play with the life of a little kid, on the chance that someone can restrain Dio before he figures out what's happening. It doesn't take more than a couple seconds to break something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

W.T. Fits posted:

I can't wait to see the Dio apologists try to justify this. :allears: :munch:
He tripped and fell into the monitor, accidentally clicking Betray in the process. drat those touch sensitive machines!

• Locked thread