Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alberenza
Mar 28, 2013
I'd say definitely go for a Luna run on your first play through. The story simply gels better that way if you ask me. (Although I'll admit my first playthrough I picked Tenny)

Thanks for the LP, as I've really been wanting to hear the English dub for this game and watching everyone's speculation will be priceless, since for the first time reading one of these I'll actually have knowledge of the game.

Alberenza fucked around with this message at 04:21 on May 29, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alberenza
Mar 28, 2013
Yes being killed via an explosion is a far worse death then dying painlessly in your sleep...
However this time we know the threat is actually real, after all they wouldn't pull the 'no detonator after all!' stunt twice. Not to mention, those 9 minutes of tension as you struggle to stay awake would be far creepier than simply exploding before you even knew what hit you. Then again, searching frantically for the DEAD with only 81 seconds left to live is also kinda scary...

Personally, I also prefer the fact that the death is actually being caused by the bracelet and not an unseen bomb. Kinda creepy to imagine those needles not even inches away from your soft skin.

Alberenza
Mar 28, 2013

klafbang posted:

Could you (not just Alberenza; you weren't the first or only to do this)? It's incredibly annoying for people who haven't played. it may not fall under the wink-wink-nudge-nudge clause, but it's every bit as annoying.

If Fedule wanted to go with the best narrative, I'm sure he'd abolish voting at all. He went with voting, but comments like this makes it nearly moot, as people whimhavent played dont go in without prior knowledge anymore. If you have played and feel it should go some way, cast your vote and argue with we have already seen.

I apologize as it was not my intention to try and devalue Fedule's decision to grant control over the paths made in the LP to the readers of this thread. I believe the story was designed to work no matter what you choose, and the statement made in my prior post was simply my opinion.
Nevertheless I have taken what you said to heart and I shall not make such comments again, even when casting a vote.

Alberenza
Mar 28, 2013
Wait wait wait the order was important? I mean obviously, but it was possible to work out?
When I played I got the drinks all right, set them out wrong and then I just tinkered about with the order mindlessly until I got it right.
Stupid luck I suppose, didn't even think anything further about the bartender's perspective.

Alberenza
Mar 28, 2013

Medieval Medic posted:

There is always the posibility that it was the doing of more than one person. Remember how people could return after solving the puzzle? For all we know, the three that went in one of the other doors(or even six!) are accomplices that immediatly doubled back after solving their room.

Ahh, but if they opened the AB rooms we would have heard an announcement telling us that they had been opened.

Alberenza
Mar 28, 2013
If this were taking place somewhere off of earth, then there would be noticeable differences in gravity, crazy jumps aside. (There must be a different reason for those)
While moon bases may be possible, anti-gravity machines probably wouldn't be possible in 2028.

Alberenza
Mar 28, 2013

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Hmmm... the first game's time magic was someone sending and receiving psychic messages to/from the future. Maybe Phi is afflicted with a different kind of time magic - some kind of loop, repeating the same day over and over again, like that one movie with Bill Murray. What was it called again?

Groundhog day.
EDIT: Beaten

Anyway, I don't think the results of this AB game were too shocking. Both Dio and K would be able to easily overpower their respective partners, and K appears to act somewhat logically whereas Dio is in all likelihood a complete rear end in a top hat.

Alberenza
Mar 28, 2013

Dr. Stab posted:

How do you know that wasn't the canon ending? It's not like there's anyone else from the first nonary game here. :v:

Literally every reason there is, then again something is telling me that this post was in jest.

However, to stretch my smug muscles, one reason the axe ending isn't cannon is because time would probably implode, what with the Akane closed loop thing.

Alberenza
Mar 28, 2013
... I don't think there is anything wrong with this game being more Dangan Ronpa styled. After all, Dangan Ronpa is amazing. Although, I will say that Monobear is an infinitely better villain compared to Zero III.

I love these kinds of villains because one, the zero persona in 999 (and indeed most other hands off, imposing villains) have basically no character. Yes, Akane and Santa have character, but ZERO does not.
Even if Zero III is less immediately imposing, you have that feeling from the film misery where it seems he can be talked to just fine because of his bubbly attitude, but it makes those moments where he starts revealing in your death and betrayal even more potent, and much more potent (his 'you'll be penalized' line is still my favorite from him.)
It's basically all about contrast. How can someone who seems so upbeat be so cruel? Someone like Zero from 999 works in his own way, but he ultimately fails as a character, and works better as a plot device to build up tension, which is fine in its own right. Personally, I like to know who my villain actually is, and unfortunately we never see Akane 'unmasked' as it were. In fact, I think Ace was the better (and ultimately 'real') villain of 999, because as a villain, he actually talks to you and manages to be imposing without having to be non-existent.

Alberenza
Mar 28, 2013

asymmetrical posted:

Very easily. I see this character archetype used so drat often in works of this genre and I'm sick of it. The contrast was cool the first or second time, but nothing new is added with each iteration and now the archetype is exhausted. There are more options for a villain than "mostly silent but still threatening non-character" and "overly bubbly and obnoxious uber-creeper."

I was being rhetorical.

I'm of the mind that so long as they're entertaining, villain or not, then originality is a minor factor. Maybe its just because I'm a fan of the archetype though.
Thankfully, Zero III obviously isn't really the main villain, so I guess you guys will just have to keep your fingers crossed that that person will live up to your expectations.

Alberenza
Mar 28, 2013

KasaiAisu posted:

It seems like there's literally no reason to betray people though. Zero the Third mentioned that the game can go on as long as it needs to.

Avoiding a group of potential murderers sounds like a good reason to escape from this facility as soon as possible, to be honest. Then there is Zero, who for all we know could be separate to the murderer. Factor in scary and suspicious people like K and I'm of the mind that these characters, if anything, have held together pretty well so far. For some people in the cast, 'everyone escapes' may not necessarily be the good ending, probably only really for Sigma and Luna.

Alberenza
Mar 28, 2013

LateToTheParty posted:

So do the interactions between characters in this part change if you have a different partner or is it always the same outcome?

There may be some slight variations occasionally based on order, but even in other playthroughs the events don't really change.

EDIT: Beaten

Alberenza
Mar 28, 2013

Added Space posted:

My question is, where's K's left leg?

His red robe covers it.

I was wondering how the flow chart was going to work in the RP... I'd like to ask a question but it may have spoilers in terms of how the game is experienced and translated into the LP, but alas I'll have to wait, I'm sure it will get answered soon enough.

Must say the poll results are pretty funny right now.
EDIT: Oh my bad looks like we have a new lead.

Alberenza
Mar 28, 2013
My interpretation of the Chinese room in this context was that any conscious that simply uses the pre-defined responses to standard questions may not necessarily be operating via free will, and if you think about it humans may be similar. For example, small talk is a large example of the Chinese room. Someone sees you, they say 'Hi how are you doing?' and you reply 'fine thanks, and you?' We have that exact exchange almost everyday, with only minor variances, and we'll say 'fine' even if we don't feel 'fine,' because that's how it works.

(This following paragraph is just all rambling so only read if you are insane, or insanely bored or whatever)
Of course, humans are much more complex than that, so weather or not humans truly are simply Chinese rooms is debatable and I feel highly unlikely, though we do show signs of it in places. But you know, even it could be sensed that while we may not respond to every question with a specific answer, more complex questions such as debates on morality (for example, is it right to kill?) usually already have quite a few fixed answers, and people who give specific answers are then categorized. (So people who say 'killing is wrong' are 'normal' and others who say 'killing is fine' would probably be classified as someone with a mental disorder, or a criminal.) And of course, the number of answers to these questions can usually be answered with one hand... I wonder, if you could somehow ask a young child or someone who had never thought of such questions one of these questions, would they give one of these pre-defined answers or something new? In the case of the former, it could be a sign of morphogenetic field theory, but perhaps I've gone a bit off topic and too crazy. Still, while the game doesn't go for this weird and tenuous angle on the Chinese room, the fact that many of the options (Ally, betray) are debatable options, there may be something to think about, with the only problem I can think of being that ally and betray are literally the only options, no variation permitted. Well, whatever.

Alberenza
Mar 28, 2013

Bifauxnen posted:

I wonder if Fedule is just waiting for the next page, or for the next day so there's a decent amount of time to discuss things? (for the record, I am personally hoping for "next page")

By the way, does anything important happen if you guess different people as the culprit? Or does Sigma just explain things differently before we move on with the same search?

Picking anyone else basically results in Phi telling Sigma that he's most likely wrong despite Sigma trying to justify his answer, before explaining why Clover is the most likely suspect using Sigma's reasoning if you pick Clover.
So hooray! Sigma got something right. But that choice didn't really matter.

Alberenza
Mar 28, 2013

lotus circle posted:

It doesn't matter if they have the 9 bracelet. The important thing is that their bracelet has 9 when they leave. If it doesn't, the injections happen. The door can be opened at any time by anyone, but they can only go through it safely if the bracelet they're wearing has 9 BP or more. Quark's 9BP bracelet would only be useful to Quark...if he wearing it any way.

edit: beaten, but point stands.

Sorry to nitpick, but only people with 9BP can open the number 9 door.
So if they didn't have Quark's bracelet they wouldn't be able to open it...
Not that it matters much anyway, since yeah even with Quark's bracelet they'll get injected if the try to leave with their current BP, which you already know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alberenza
Mar 28, 2013

Jynxite posted:

I'm starting to believe that Dio does actually have a daughter now. When he was walking Sigma through the puzzle, he didn't flat out give Sigma the answer, Dio let Sigma puzzle it out for himself: something that reminds me a lot of how parents help their kids through homework. Plus, he didn't berate us except for once in the non-required puzzle. I'm inclined to trust him.

If that kind of aid in the puzzle sequences automatically means that that person might have a child, then everyone in this game would have a child.
Teny is already a guardian figure for Quark, I don't really think we need another one.

• Locked thread