Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Who names their kid Sigma?

Two bracelets with the same number and the word Pair. Would that mean there's 9 pairs of players in this game? That doesn't seem likely, it's hard to get distinct characters and arcs for that many different people.

This was produced by the same guy who made "Ever 17", right? I wonder what this game's mysticbabble twist will be. :geno: I'm a bit less enthused for this game because of that one and the previous game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Heh, nice Tolkein reference. "One of these days, Witch-king..."

What the hell is that linked-ring thing barely covering Alice? That's not even worth being called clothing. Also, I don't buy that Alice is a mummy from ancient Egypt. Her speech patterns are too modern, and even if she learned a new language, there's no trace of an accent.

Ha ha I like that Phi and Sigma are not getting along at all, and that someone instantly wonders if they've got a thing.

Clover and the other guy must be the green pair. If Zandar is right, that's a nice way of changing the mechanic from last time.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Zero responded to Phi, so that's not a pre-recorded message, unless Phi is Zero. Mind you, she did work out that anagram really quickly considering how many letters that was.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Zyla posted:

And anyone that thinks Alice isn't the lady Junpei's crew found in the desert is almost certainly wrong given her immediate recognition of Clover. The egyptian motif in her clothing and her makeup - the solid turquoise coloring over the eyes is absolutely consistent with ancient egyptian style - the use of makeup, and specifically that color is common in depictions of how people would look in that time.

On the other hand, a real Egyptian from 2000 years ago shouldn't sound like they're from Nebraska. There isn't even a narrative note along the lines of "Sigma noticed that Alice had a strange accent, but couldn't place it". (Plus my personal opinion is that "Egyptians invented magic ice 2000 years ago and froze someone alive and they're okay" is really dumb.)

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

RentCavalier posted:

I don't know why everyone assumed immediately that he was a man in a mask and not, say, a robot. When I first saw him leap ten feet into the air out of a sealed vault carrying a grown woman, I would have basically assumed he was an android. I guess it isn't very plausible in hindsight though.

Given the twists and the final scene of the previous game, there doesn't actually appear to be any limits to what is plausible (a bad thing). The robot guy could be Wyatt Earp pulled through time and transplanted into a robot body for all we know.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Yea, I have a question. What does the rabbit mean by "primary doors", and where are they?

Was Clover abducted on her way to a costume party where she was dressed up as Pebbles Flintstone?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Magenta/Luna. Let the cryo-preserved ancient Egyptian go with the Clover Flintstone and the alien who built the pyramids.

I bet that there will be three sets of rooms and Chromatic doors. The pair/solo thing will probably switch after the first set of rooms, so that the next time, it will be Sigma/Alice as a pair and Phi as a solo, or Phi/Alice as a pair with Sigma as a solo.

Endorph posted:

EDIT: Also, that bit about the anesthetic only being there out of mercy seems like a pretty significant clue, going forward.

The most interesting clue for me was the nine minute gap between the anesthetic and the poison. That'll clearly be important later.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I agree that the next time you might want to consider going off-site for a poll, but in fairness, there was really no way to know in advance that the thread would get over 100 votes.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Uh... that's new.

There must be someone else controlling the game. Someone had to move the body into there, and the players were all in their groups of three the whole time.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

evilspacehopper posted:

Well it's the leftmost room which Sigma and Phi weren't in before and haven't seen inside of yet. Nobody had to move the body into the room if it was there the whole time and we didn't know. Well that is if the body was there at the start, it could have been placed any time which means you could be right or one of the nine players here killed them while we were solving the elevator puzzle.

That is true, but if that's the case, the obvious answer is "K and/or Clover did it", and that seems a little too obvious to be right. If K did it, I imagine that he'd try to take the left-most elevator, if only so people don't ask him, "hey, did you see a body in the elevator you came out of?"

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jun 1, 2013

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Medieval Medic posted:

There is always the posibility that it was the doing of more than one person. Remember how people could return after solving the puzzle? For all we know, the three that went in one of the other doors(or even six!) are accomplices that immediatly doubled back after solving their room.

Also possible, but unlikely. The more people working together, the less plausible it is. Two people couldn't leave a small puzzle room without being noticed by the third, so all three would have to be working together. But Sigma was the one who decided where everyone would go. A real conspiring trio would be more likely to volunteer their choice of door before Sigma. You'd need 5 conspirators working to account for all door combinations, which seems too many.

Unrelated, I hope Sigma's connection to whatever is going on is more interesting than "I saw the future and know who was there, so I arranged for it to be so".

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

maswastaken posted:

When would he get to surreptitiously knock out Clover so that she wouldn't think to ask him that?

Well, if he's a bad guy, presumably before putting her in the "elevator". K said that Clover was unconscious from the time he woke up until after he leapt from the elevator. She never had a chance to see the inside of the elevator.

EDIT: In fact, it can't be a coincidence that Clover was out cold and can't confirm or deny the presence of a body there. Zero probably set it up to make K look suspicious. He's wearing a mask, claims to have amnesia, there's a dead or unconscious person in the elevator he came from, few people of the 9 had a chance to put it there.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jun 1, 2013

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Alberenza posted:

If this were taking place somewhere off of earth, then there would be noticeable differences in gravity, crazy jumps aside. (There must be a different reason for those)

While moon bases may be possible, anti-gravity machines probably wouldn't be possible in 2028.

Yes, while the idea "they're on the moon" did cross my mind a little while ago, I can't imagine that even Sigma would fail to notice the reduced gravity.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Astus posted:

You know, this is a pretty flawed version of the Prisoner's Dilemma, because
... <snip> ...
So, we're left with a game that at first glance looks like it is encouraging the group to back-stab each other to get ahead, but is actually punishing anyone stupid enough to push betray. Unless there's another gimmick, which there might well be.

If this Nonary game is anything like the last one, then you're probably right. The game in 999 appeared to encourage people to kill each other so that only a few could get out the last door, but it was actually designed to save all 9 players (except for two who I guess didn't count). Having this game actually be a trick where betrayal seems right - but isn't - would be right in line with that.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Fedule posted:

...Huh? "This time"...?

Hmmm... the first game's time magic was someone sending and receiving psychic messages to/from the future. Maybe Phi is afflicted with a different kind of time magic - some kind of loop, repeating the same day over and over again, like that one movie with Bill Murray. What was it called again?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Ha ha ha, Dio/Quark are playing that nicely. However they really decided, it's not hard to know who is telling the truth or not, which means that there's doubt for the next round as well about whether it's safe to ally with them or not (but I imagine that no one will).

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
There should be a real reason why Sigma is involved in the game. "Stable time loop" is not a real reason, and in this case, it would be far too repetitive.

Splitting up worked really well the last time. :allears: But then again the rules here are different. Killing someone for won't be helpful in this case because you need to get through the doors... no wait. A dead person would auto-ally, so that's 3 points for free.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
If that Radical-6 infection isn't made up, it looks like it's several months into the future at least, if not more. I do appreciate that Sigma and company actually realized that they should have heard of something causing that much death and are thinking that maybe it's been quite a while that they've been under.

They hinted that their bodies were feeling different. I'm not sure if, as Dio said, it was just from sleeping for a while, or if it was supposed to be hinting that they're actually on the Moon. It's hard to say, although the Radical-6 article suggests the former.

Given K and Clover's outfits, I wonder if they were both headed for a costume party, although I'm not sure who would wear a suit they can't take off themselves, no matter how comfortable.

Zero said that the pair assignments and colours are randomly shuffled after each AB round. On the second run through the game, we'll have to see if we get a different pair assignment/colour if we choose a different starting door and/or vote in the AB room.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jun 10, 2013

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Bifauxnen posted:

The obvious conclusion I'm drawing from the facility here is that they aren't quarantining everyone cause they have the disease. It could be because they don't have the disease, and they're some of the last people left alive. Maybe even the very last people left alive, with the whole of humanity being the equivalent of Akane stuck in the incinerator unless we solve the puzzle to find a cure or whatever.

That makes no sense either. Leaving out Zero-the-mole, three - and probably none - of these people have heard of this disease at the time they were kidnapped, which means they were kidnapped before it became widespread. Therefore, they weren't kidnapped because they were some of last surviving people. I also hope that the plot isn't "while you were sleeping, the apocalypse happened. Surprise!"

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
The only ones with 1 BP are Alice and Tenmyouji. If we go with Luna, then Tenmyouji will be paired with Clover. Tenmyouji will probably betray because Clover betrayed last time, and he can't afford to risk getting betrayed, and even if Clover allies, she can absorb the hit.

That would put Dio and Phi against K, and they'll probably all betray the other - if only so K doesn't reach 9, and they can absorb a hit.

Luna has a history of allying, and Sigma going with her will face her off against someone who has allied with her before, which will give her more incentive to ally again - if she doesn't want Alice to die, at least. If we decide to betray in the AB game, she can absorb the hit.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Kgummy posted:

Most likely we're going on a terrible end path. Why would Quark have to respond immediately? On the other hand, it could be him realizing that on the path we're on, everyone will die. He starts freaking out right after K and Ten arguing/the chromatic door '1 minute' announcement. I'm guessing that key to not everyone dying is K and Ten getting along. At least, getting along for now. Since there's apparently a ton of endings to this game, it would make sense if Quark wouldn't be able to remember all of what happens right away.

The odds are likely that we're on a horrible end, certainly. I hope that they don't repeat the identical plot twist from 999 for Quark - if only because that would be too repetitive. Plus, we've only made two path-affecting choices, and only gone through 1 door. I think that's a bit too soon for the game to start shouting "You lose."

I'm not sure how forcing Ten and K to get along would work. I suppose you could have picked Alice for the first door, forcing Ten and K together, but I'm not sure that would help since K and Clover picked Betray, and that was against Clover's friend Alice.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
The polls are neck and neck between taking Luna and taking Clover. Luna's pulled into a 3 vote lead at the moment.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I figured it was the robot. It was perceptive of Sigma to realize that G-OLM shouldn't have known Alice's name.

The existence of Gaulems could mean that the body could have been moved into K's elevator while everyone else was busy.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Each and every single time people have loads of spare time to make a decision, something will happen to put it off until the last 60 seconds, won't it.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

orenronen posted:

Sigma's lines are unchanged, but Luna's next line, translated as "Oh... I see...", is more like "Oh, so that's the reason you won't betray..." in a disappointed tone of voice, implying more explicitly she wished he would ally for a more altruistic reason than Nonary game strategy.

That does come across well in the current voice acting, though. I agree with Spatula City's interpretation of the delivery.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
K kept his word, and so did Luna. It's not a big surprise that Tenmyouji didn't, he was risking death if he didn't. But Quark can now escape... and I think he might just try to do that, given his panic earlier. They'll need to find him.

Hmmm... they can't leave the warehouse unguarded, nor will one person want to stay there alone, given a killer on the loose. So two people will have to stay, and the rest will have to move in groups to search. Oh right, they have to keep playing the doors game. No one can stay behind.
Well, I knew we were all dead as soon as Alice bit it. Is her bracelet still by the corpse, or has it vanished because the protagonist left it behind foolishly?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

What? O-Okay... Let's go.
(I'm going to have to see her again...)
(I feel sick just thinking about it.)

That's not a nice thing to say about Phi, Sigma. :v:

Naturally, Alice's bracelet will be gone when we get there.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
You might be working with them. Both of you could be in on it.

Goddamnit, Clover, that's idiotic. You have already told us that you know who killed Alice. You have just sealed your own death.

Scenario A: One or both of Sigma and Phi is indeed "in on it". If we're "in on it", we KNOW who the killer is already, and because you told us you know who did it, we now have a stronger motive to shut you up. You just told the killer's accomplices that you know who the killer is.

Scenario B: Neither of them are "in on it." Now we're both vulnerable to getting ambushed and attacked by the killer because you won't tell us who it is.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Even though this clearly seems to be the path for a bad ending once Alice died, I do like that at least we learned a lot, and it wasn't just a bunch of unanswered mysteries. There are little bits of information. Not enough to answer everything, but enough to feel like it wasn't just a waste.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I think it was Clover who killed Luna.

Dio came in, saw the dead body and took the knife out of Alice's chest. That could have been for legitimate self-defense purposes, or something more sinister.

K could easily have killed us if he had wanted to. He would have had to do nothing, instead he risked his own life and Dio's to throw Phi and Sigma into a white door. If K is telling the truth, the timeline matches Clover's death - 3 minutes pass between Clover and Luna moving out of frame and K entering. He said 3 minutes passed between hearing a scream and investigating.

I suppose that Luna could have just sat there in the room sulking after the argument with Clover, and Dio could have come in looking for the knife and tried to make some excuse to an alive Luna, then took the knife and left. But that seems iffy and risky for Dio to do.

Wait... actually. K said he heard a scream. Could you scream if you've been injected in your neck with an OD of muscle relaxant? I suppose it's possible. It is supposed to take a while to go into effect.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Aug 19, 2013

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I'm pretty sure that Dio went in there looking for Alice's bracelet, but when he saw Luna - whether dead or unconscious, he might have thought she was dead. If that's the case, Dio probably felt the need to protect himself and took the knife from Alice. He didn't take Alice's bracelet because that would be a clear giveaway that he was there and he didn't want to be blamed for Luna.

It looks like Clover did it, which could be a misdirect, so it is possible that K is our culprit, but there's no clear evidence pointing to K. At the very least, we've eliminated Ten and Quark as suspects from Luna's murder, so that's progress.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I don't think it's particularly suspicious that K is checking his bracelet as he's leaving the room, instead of off-camera after he allegedly gives up resuscitating Luna. Hasn't anyone else started going somewhere to do something (get Phi and Sigma) and then remembered that they should check the time?

K could be the killer, but nothing on the tape has contradicted his story, and we lack evidence against him. There's no evidence that Clover only hit Luna on the head or choked her until she passed out - no bruises on the neck, although 3-10 minutes is perhaps not much time to form them.

In fictional mysteries, people now expect a twist. Perhaps the twist is that things are exactly as they seem.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I like that Sigma is not only asked to justify himself by Phi, but also that he does make a good case. And he made the case not based on K, who is the second-most likely suspect, but on Dio. Well written. Even so, this doesn't convict Clover. Luna could have been unconscious and Dio confused her for being dead.

Clover and Ten look to both be dead. I see Ten's bracelet on the ground. Looks like that's why they didn't make it to the white doors. So who cuffed then up like that? Dio? Unlikely, he was already at 8 points, and his opponent in the next round would be Alice, who was already dead -no matter what he chose in the next round, he'd be above 9. If he just wanted to get out, he was already in good position to do that. Neither of those two could possibly have reached 9 before him. He had no motive to kill those two.

It could be K or Quark... but I suspect that Ten might have done that himself. No, that would have killed Quark just the same. Nevermind.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Aug 21, 2013

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Glazius posted:

My money's on Tenmyouji taking Clover down with him. Unless we find evidence that they were drugged or something, it's a lot trickier for one person to force two people to get handcuffed to a thing than it is for one person to force one other person.

Especially in this case, where people believe (and it seems to be true from this scene) that not going through the doors would lead to death anyway. If someone tried to force them to do this, Both Clover and Ten would have no reason to comply - they'd have nothing to lose anyway.

My first thought was that Ten did this to Clover himself, but then my second thought was that he wouldn't because this would kill Quark as well. The only reason I could think of for Ten to do this would be if Quark was right there and Ten told Quark to leave immediately.

Could Phi have done this? Yes, during the time we were passed out in the security office - meaning that she was the one who knocked us out. I don't quite think that's where the game is going, though.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Aug 22, 2013

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

GeneralYeti posted:

Nine little players, they think they are set;
One disappears, and makes them all fret.

Eight little players, going to town;
The next one gets stabbed and simply falls down.

Seven little players, hoping they'll be found;
Poor player found dead when no one's around.

Six little players, looking for a door;
Two didn't make it in, now there's only four.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Huh... well, if Quark was in that room as well, Dio is the prime suspect. He almost certainly had the knife from Alice's body. Dio could possibly have threatened to kill Quark then and there if Ten didn't handcuff Clover and himself - although that's flimsy - would he have really complied, knowing that Quark would be dead soon if he didn't go through a door anyway? What happened to Quark's body?

I didn't see any scraping around Ten's right wrist where the cuff was.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Of course... Sigma and Phi opened their door, then Sigma passed out, and then they spent some time going over the footage. It takes these guys about 40 minutes to go through a few straight hallways, so Dio and K no doubt finished their room ages ago.

This is why Quark's bracelet is here. One of those two came here after finishing the tests - probably making the excuse that they need to split up an look for the others - and moved Quark's body. Why they forgot to pick up the bracelet, who can say.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Six little players, looking for a door;
Two didn't make it in, now there's only four.

Four little players, looking for a clue;
They found a spear and axe, think that will do?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Livingtrope posted:

Hey now, not everyone is dead, just most of them. Yay goons, you didn't kill everyone! :buddy:

Now now, don't jump to conclusions. The day's not over yet. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Username = ninethlion Password=mementomori

That's the best I can think of. I'm glad that Sigmat remembered the graffiti, or else I would have been shouting at the monitor to tell him to remember. But I'm not sure that the graffiti is enough to solve this given the possible combinations. This might be one of those "get a clue from another path" things?

• Locked thread