Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005

Shear Modulus posted:

Well, at the very beginning, when all you know is that you've been kidnapped by a dude in a gas mask and thrown in a overly complex death trap, it seems fairly realistic.

I guess the exact point when the game goes off track is up to the reader: either past the first door when June starts talking about frozen mummies who put a curse on the Titanic and writers who are possessed by their future ghosts, or even earlier when Lotus' outfit is introduced.

I don't know, for me, it was the lack of the incredibly standard "OMG KAWAII" character (with the possible exception of Clover, who ends up swiftly redeeming herself) that's found in an incredible amount of Japanese games. There also felt like there was an element of danger, water flooding in and a mysterious and ominous masked figure, who only very rarely spoke. Even the characters themselves were a BIT more "realistic", a bit more sympathetic. Here we've got a new toy line giving us exposition CONSTANTLY, we've got stage magicians, little kids who like taping bottles to their heads for no apparent reason, someone who wears even LESS than Lotus, and a giant talking robot. I really can't feel any attachment to these characters with the possible exception of Clover, mostly because I know what she's going through right now.

Complaints aside, I thoroughly enjoyed the first game, and I hope that this one soon picks up the sense of danger and tragedy the first encapsulated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005
cyan/Alice

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005

lotus circle posted:

To be fair, Zero in 999 was a girl bent on revenge against the guys who hosed up her life and killed her in different continuums, along with trying to save her own life in the process. Kind of hard to top that.

Right, but you only found out about that at the very end. Up until then, Zero was kind of this imposing, looming threat that could be ANYONE, and the lack of face or personality really sold the atmosphere. Plus the "less is more" style used with Zero's dialogue was excellent. Here we have a laundry detergent mascot reject chirping pun filled exposition at us every few minutes. I get it's SO CUTE and CHEERFUL but that is really not what I enjoy this series for, and it deflates the atmosphere and tension.

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005
"Remember me as you pass by,
As you are now, so once was I,
As I am now, so you must be,
Prepare for death and follow me."

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005

Onmi posted:

Ace already pulled that nonsense in the submarine ending.

Calling it now, DIO IS ACE.

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005

tiistai posted:

Probably means nothing? I can't tell if you're kidding or not.

Oh my god, the value of the Ace card is one.......and sometimes ELEVEN! There's already a 9th person present, who's to say there aren't two more! We've got the G-OLM, and Zero III, THEY DID IT!

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005

Onmi posted:

I AM YOU
YOU WILL BE ME
SHE KNOWS EVERYTHING.

Yeah, that pretty much sums up my thoughts that time travel of some sort is involved. Except since it's a Zero Escape game I doubt it will be as simple as time travel.

For some reason I think this and MEMENTO MORI are intertwined in meaning, especially considering how linked the morphogenic field is with death, or the threat/fear of it. Maybe in each of these endings in which people die and things get all messed up, we find part of a code, and the fear of death transmits it to alternate pathways of possibility somehow to put in a full password. WE are the transmitters AND the receivers. And Zero, apparently :aaaaa:

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005
There is no way Radical-6 isn't related to Ice-9 in some way, and probably Alice was patient zero, given the conte-

PATIENT ZERO :aaaaa:

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005
Given the age of Ten, I'm expecting to see Chekhov's AED to be used at some point in the future.

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005

Glazius posted:

People lost all sense of self-preservation and killed themselves.

Makes me think the woman in the beginning may not have been a murder after all.

Edit: Was Quark in the same voting chamber Alice was last time? Did Luna end up there in any of the voting sessions in that branch?

Edit edit: Luna finds Alice's body first, dies first, mysteriously. Dio and K find Luna's body first, and then die, also mysteriously. Ten and Clover: ???

Edit X3 combo: I'm betting the bloodbath starts pretty soon, then.

Poland Spring fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Oct 11, 2013

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005
You know who else was gigantic and pretended to be nice? Ace. Unless they pull some weird "armor is super bulky so surprise it's XXX" smaller character thing.

Edit: and he would have EVERY reason to feign amnesia, too.

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005

Elite posted:

Sigma thinks Dio is already voting but it wouldn't be too surprising if something had happened to him. I mean a character disappearing for a moment in this game usually results in them turning back up in less-than-stellar health, so far anyway.

Calling it. Sigma will be shocked to find Dio picked "ally", and then find his corpse.

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

The first time I saw that "To Be Continued" I just kinda stared at the screen blankly.

I mean, surviving a lethal injection is near impossible when the bracelet is practically fused to your wrist.

There is one firmly established way to do this already (heart stopping), and they DO have a doctor with them, so maybe that could be a way to remove it safely, if they can start him going again with the AED. The problem is would be stopping it long enough, in time.

Oh, and I think leaving out the 9 door MAY be a death sentence, considering all the hints that things outside may not be going so well. The whole point may not be to leave, but to stay and GET ALONG! :D

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005

Dr. Stab posted:

Is it just me, or is there no way that that took 4 minutes? All he did was walk up to Dio and then Dio gave him the medicine. Everyone would have to be talking really slowly for that to take 4 minutes.

Maybe he's infected with Radical 6! :tinfoil:

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005

Speedball posted:

Gotta say, if Dio's secret is that deep down he's really an rear end in a top hat, then that makes "K is really a Robot, just like he appears to be" entirely plausible.

I still say he's Ace. Would give him a perfectly plausible reason to feign ignorance (with Alice and Clover around), he's about the right build to match K, and, like Ace before more was revealed about him, K is faux-cooperative, until he finds a way to make an advantage for himself.

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005

Kanfy posted:

Sigma being just some guy who happened to get kidnapped would actually be a genuine twist.

Chances are slim what with him working at a lab before. He's probably the one who invented Radical-6 in the first place, or he IS Radical-6 or something nutty like that.

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005

Nidoking posted:

Well, isn't it obvious? Sigma is only one of a number of people named Sigma. One of them is responsible for Radical-6, one killed an old lady and dumped her corpse in a booth, one trapped someone in a robotic suit... somehow, all of them are connected to this game except the innocent one, who was kidnapped by the other five simply for sharing their auspicious name. Hence the alternative, rejected subtitle for the game - Six Sigmas.

At least that's what the game has you think, but really it's just Sigma's not-yet-unlocked ability to travel through is OWN morphogenic field. Those "other" sigmas? They're the "innocent" sigma, but from alternate timelines! The real story is about consolidating all the timelines to ensure Sigma dies. The end!

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005

Slowbeef posted:

I will crack skulls if ya'll start making cat puns.

God drat I had just finished my post when I saw this. Well PLAYED.

It WOULD be hilarious if the talking to cats thing became a plot point though.

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005
oh HELL YES, things just got super interesting. MORPHIC FIELD POWERS, ACTIVATE!

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005
Interesting fact: the only round in which Luna votes in the same box she started out in is the only round in which we don't see the dead body. Having previously established that it was in her box it originated from, it's worth watching her.

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005

ApplesandOranges posted:

We don't know which rooms any of the others are in. We just know Sigma/Phi are in the leftmost room (where K/Clover were.)

Actually, we do. Everyone is in the same rooms as they started in on this route.

In other routes, Luna ends up being the solo for someone other than who she started next to.

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005

DWK posted:

But to vote in the AB game, they can go in any room and the game doesn't tell us who goes into what room.

Guess we'll have to see how the voting goes then

E: for less rear end in a top hat

Poland Spring fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Nov 17, 2013

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005

tiistai posted:

Case in point: Sigma and Phi are in the leftmost room right now.

Which was already mentioned

but still, who knows who's where

Edit: gently caress, you're right. Eh, maybe Luna's still in the same room, who knows.

Poland Spring fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Nov 17, 2013

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005

Eeepies posted:

Is Dio semi-colourblind? Why was he puzzled whether he had Magneta or not?

Oh I'm sure this will NEVER come up :allears:

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005
My money's on him being Magenta/Cyan colorblind, although that's not a weird enough disorder for the sequel to 999.

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005
Someone in the cast has to have some sort of weird disorder, somewhere! Maybe Quark has that thing that Brooke Greenberg had and actually is in his 40s or some weird poo poo like that. And is Sigma's clone. WE NEED MORE WEIRD

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005

GeneralYeti posted:

I'm purr-etty sure nobody could miss that :v:

Ok ok, but in order to qualify this has to be a major plot point somewhere in the story. :colbert:

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005

Bruceski posted:

K is actually a hyper-intelligent cat inside the suit. A dead one.

So he's like the coat rat kid from Sideways Stories from Wayside School?

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005

theshim posted:

Everyone saying we made a mistake in this thread is correct.

The mistake was making the :betray: emote with Dio. It should be Alice.

Actually, Alice only really starts betraying in this path. Something about the death of the old lady changes people's motives, I guess.

Edit: Although she does end up betraying later in Ten's path, I guess. She did get hosed over, and needs the points, in that scenario though.

Poland Spring fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jan 31, 2014

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005
Since it's fairly obvious we're going to turn around and Betray Alice, I'm kind of curious to check out the other door options in the first branch we did with Luna. Considering the carnage that occurs in one of those branches, it may be worth it to see what happens if we pick a different door, or dare I suggest it...betray Luna.

Edit: Specifically, the branch with Clover and Alice might be interesting, if we're not sick of Alice by then.

Poland Spring fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jan 31, 2014

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005

DarkHamsterlord posted:

This LP will forever go unfinished as the thread refuses to betray Luna.

I think if we betray her after Alice dies, we might be able to SAVE HER LIFE!

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005

Zoe posted:

Watch, betraying Luna will be a requirement on the only winning path, just because the writer is a monster like that.

There's gotta be at least one plot lock/key in there, so yeah.

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005
Man, I *really* want to see what happens on the alternate path from the SUPER BAD END, but it looks like the hating-on-Alice train is gonna win. Not that I mind giving her poo poo, but I'd rather have her dead and not snarkily betraying folks then dumping sob stories on them to excuse herself. Just sayin'.

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005

xxlicious posted:

Oh god. An entire game full of morphogenetic field-assessing peeps. No wonder the cause-and-effect is so screwy! Wonder what the hell is going on between Tenmyouji and Clover? Could that old lady be... nah, impossible.

Wait, if time-travelling and cloning shenanigans are involved, could Tenmyouji be the older version of one of the characters in the cast, like Quark?

This makes me think that Quark is DEFINITELY a clone of someone.

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005
YEAH there's no way she's this nice without something loving weird going on with her

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005
I hope the Betray option ends/plot locks quickly, getting kind of tired of just choosing the other path. I wanna see what else happens in the "everyone dies" path, dang it!

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005

Onmi posted:

Well we gotta find the password for that to happen.

nooo I mean betraying Luna on that path. IT'S THE ONLY WAY TO SAVE HER

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005

Onmi posted:

How will betraying her stop Clover/Dio from killing her?

With a different reaction to what we vote for, she may avoid the fate she encountered. Though chances are it was the Radical virus just making her kill herself, and NEITHER ONE OF THEM did it.

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005
We really should betray Luna AFTER the Gaulem bay, but I'd take any opportunity to check another part of the story than this one, frankly. At least Phi actually had a REASON to betray us in that other path, even though we weren't privy to it...Dio though, I really want to see how he gets killed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005

ApplesandOranges posted:

I don't think there's a point in betraying Luna after the Gaulem Bay - it seems like one of the Ally/Betray decisions from the second set of doors onwards will definitely lead to a Bad End from what we've seen, and since Allying with Luna led us to another puzzle room, it seems firmly that it's the right thing to do in that instance, unless we need to do something like seeing the Bad End to unlock a plot point like here.

I am assuming that we will need to betray Luna after the Magenta door at some point though, so I'd rather get that part out of the way.

Yeah but some of us want to see a Bad End. Instead of just a "game over" screen. :getin:

• Locked thread