Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

oh hey look what's out

actually not too bad, considering

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Sagebrush posted:

oh hey look what's out

actually not too bad, considering

I need a 2 TB M2 drive, and then gonna hope throwing Xeon cores at it helps.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
They have certainly some optimizing to do, considering my 2070S is more often than not pegged at 99% with default "high" settings at OK-ish frame rates. Plus this 10GB RAM usage depending on the area.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

quote:

Disappointed in Microsoft

After reviewing the PC specs to get play the new game i can officially say Microsoft does not care about flight simmers. I am the proud owner of a dell Dell OptiPlex 755 I bought back in 2007 at a garage sale. It is equipped with a dual core processor with 2.4 GHZ boost. Now you would think this pc would be good enough to run a simple game. The PC is only 15 years old. BUT NO. you're going to tell me my 2.4ghz CPU can't run it. We all know flight sims only use the first core. M$ wont actually upgrade the engine at al Microsoft set the bar so high that only the richest of the rich can afford such a Machine to run it. And why do we need a 100$ operating system to run such a game. I am very happy with my copy of windows vista that came with the computer. it works perfectly fine for me. Why should i have to pay thousands of dollars to fly a fictional plane in a fictional world? at this point it might just be easier to get a real pilots licence. Furthermore, I also do not understand why we would have to go out and buy A SEperaTe unit dedicated for GrApgics card. The pc i have has the Graphics built right into the processer. Imagine that. Next thing we know microsft will require intagrated sound cards as a min requirement, and then seperate ram sticks with the microsoft branding on them, just for that sweet 60 fps gamer thing. and even if i had the money to buy such a machine, i cant Go OutSide cause of the viruis so how do they even expect us to get a pc For iT.

This hole thing is making me blood pressure go up just thinking bout it

Obviously this was a joke, but you know there is somewhere out there thinking it.

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

mllaneza posted:

I need a 2 TB M2 drive, and then gonna hope throwing Xeon cores at it helps.

It does.

I just ordered a new drive as well. Its a 256GB now... and I need to update.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

hobbesmaster posted:

If you know C, C++, Linux and have ever touched an RTOS just apply at Honeywell or Garmin.

Pretty much this. Everything we do is all in C. Anything you can qualify as "embedded systems" experience will get your foot in the door.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

xergm posted:

Pretty much this. Everything we do is all in C. Anything you can qualify as "embedded systems" experience will get your foot in the door.

You work for one of them? Stop bugging me on linked in so much!

Or actually looking at the economy, please keep bugging me it’s reassuring

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Edit: Well this is embarrassing. Wrong thread!

Bulky Bartokomous fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Apr 23, 2020

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo

JayKay posted:

Obviously this was a joke, but you know there is somewhere out there thinking it.

Haven’t seen someone use “M$” in a long time. Good stuff

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Julius CSAR posted:

From my parents' home in Wyoming, I stab at thee!

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Julius CSAR posted:

Micro$haft Winblows!

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

My Thrustmaster TPR pedals that I ordered from Dell on Feb 21st finally shipped, somebody get me an invite to the MS beta.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufNEPORxy2g

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Signs of life out of the Deadstick team

https://store.steampowered.com/newshub/app/771800/view/2205019689467293090

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!
Do you think fs2020 drives other flight sim developers to drink

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I still see a nice niche for Deadstick but if I were a third party FS developer for scenery, weather, or the like, I’d be plenty nervous.

Who am I kidding, nerds will still buy brand new Frankfurt scenery because FS2020 uses a generic baggage train model and the $25 add on correctly colors them orange and parks them on the left, not right side of each gate, or whatever.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

A Markov chain flight sim sounds nice.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Xakura posted:

I bet Austin is a teetotaler but it probably drives him to binge on mormon tea or whatever

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Xakura posted:

you say that like there are other flight sim developers

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Wait - I just noticed Xplane 11 only has LAN multiplayer. How do you do shared cockpit in Xplane 11 these days?

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Smartcopilot.

https://sky4crew.com/smartcopilot/

I used it a lot but it only works with certain planes that community members make a file for and it still breaks constantly between game, plane, and smartcopilot updates. It honestly sucks pretty bad most of the time.

But my buddy and I did get some real nice flights in shared cockpit VR in the Zibo 737, so I’m willing to put up with all that.

e: also a lot more accessible and less likely to break on (most) of the GA planes they support, but feels a lot less cool in a plane designed around a single pilot.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Anime Store Adventure posted:

e: also a lot more accessible and less likely to break on (most) of the GA planes they support, but feels a lot less cool in a plane designed around a single pilot.

It is great in a GA plane and having 2 pilots is awesome for learning, working the radios and actually having to fly / look for traffic vs hitting lnav / vnav and group controlling input for the flying and navigating computer.

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

If you haven't used it for awhile, SmartCopilot v3 is considerably less janky.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I don't believe this was posted,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83amVRaRvvM

:drat:

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Let me in with my 16gb of Rams cowards

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I think that video is just a compilation of all the official media releases with some new music. It is very pretty though.

also,

Google Butt posted:

I have spent the last two months of quarantine building a yoke with 1:1 real life travel and an actual C150 handle and a throttle block with the proper travel on every axis and a proper gated flap lever and a multi-turn trim wheel and locking landing gear lever and functioning 5-position key switch and every important switch in a Cessna 152

and I just finished it the other night and hooked it up to X-Plane only to discover that X-Plane doesn't support the "off" position of a toggle switch, or state transitions, so I can't use it properly without rewriting the USB packet and I'm just so fuckin done with that fuckin simulator and meanwhile we got drone photographers playing FS2020 with the keyboard and aaaaaa

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Google Butt posted:

The latest round is apparently plenty of people on the minimum spec, it's just luck now.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

Sagebrush posted:

and I just finished it the other night and hooked it up to X-Plane only to discover that X-Plane doesn't support the "off" position of a toggle switch, or state transitions

You can use FlyWithLua to make custom commands that support ON/OFF states.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Dear God in heaven, what in the gently caress? Since Asobo can't manage to upgrade a game installation out of a paper bag, I have to install everything from scratch, and now the base assets download is loving 116GB instead of 81GB as with the earlier build. That's just 18-20h of downloading here, so long I don't stir the network with other traffic. You know, like using the computer. And last time I let the game idle under the lock screen, it did just that, lock up.

Streaming data my rear end.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
That’s too long for a thread title.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Vahakyla posted:

That’s too long for a thread title.

"Streaming data my rear end" is short enough

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

Since Asobo can't manage to upgrade a game installation out of a paper bag

I've always been impressed with game developer's "upgrade" solution was "delete absolutely everything, then re-download the entire game from scratch*" as there is absolutely no concept of software lifecycle management of any kind

*And if you're lucky they might retain a handful of config files

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
It's still in alpha, so I have to assume that'll get heavily improved before release.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

It's still in alpha, so I have to assume that'll get heavily improved before release.

Famous last words, right up there with "what could possibly go wrong?" and "let's split up, we can cover more ground that way"

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Hadlock posted:

I've always been impressed with game developer's "upgrade" solution was "delete absolutely everything, then re-download the entire game from scratch*" as there is absolutely no concept of software lifecycle management of any kind
It actually tried to upgrade in-place. When I did so, it only downloaded 40GB of assets. But apparently that fucks everything up, leading to Crashes to Desktop all over the place. A clean install is supposed to fix it. 116GBs later, I kind of expect it to still fail.

Also, the beta is supposed to start pretty soon. You'd think installer issues have to be gone by now.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

It's weird, because on xbox, afaik, they have that poo poo locked down, with proper patching and games you can play while downloading. But everything I've heard about windows store dowloads is bad.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Xakura posted:

windows store... is bad.

I really hope they dump that trash heap sooner rather than later.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I really hope they dump that trash heap sooner rather than later.

Gears 5 and Gears Tactics ended up on steam, so maybe they'll allow that at least?

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

They should make their own gaming distro for the Windows store games.

Maybe call it something like Games For Windows: Live?

Oh wait
Oh god

oh no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

INTJ Mastermind posted:

You can use FlyWithLua to make custom commands that support ON/OFF states.

:cheers: thanks for this. I poked around with it for a few hours and not only got all the switches working as desired, but also fixed the weird trim wheel problem with the specific C152 mod that I like to fly. Everything works great now. Hooray

Now let me in the fuckin alpha so I can do it all over again