Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Just upgraded to a 2TB SSD and Windows 7 to 10. Ready to run this poo poo on low to medium settings. Let me in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Combat Pretzel posted:

Dear God in heaven, what in the gently caress? Since Asobo can't manage to upgrade a game installation out of a paper bag, I have to install everything from scratch, and now the base assets download is loving 116GB instead of 81GB as with the earlier build. That's just 18-20h of downloading here, so long I don't stir the network with other traffic. You know, like using the computer. And last time I let the game idle under the lock screen, it did just that, lock up.

Streaming data my rear end.

Let me in with my no data cap gigabit fiber connection cowards!

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

Scruff McGruff posted:

Let me in with my no data cap gigabit fiber connection cowards!

They probably thought we were bullshitting when we put in 1000 mbps in the survey. I've even got 32 GB of ram.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

xergm posted:

They probably thought we were bullshitting when we put in 1000 mbps in the survey. I've even got 32 GB of ram.

I've been in with these specs (in a laptop) for months. It's gotta just be a crapshoot at this point.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

mllaneza posted:

I don't believe this was posted,

:drat:

I love Adagio in D-Minor.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Getting back into XP a bit for whatever reason. Any recommendations on free or reasonably priced GA/small jet aircraft to toot around in? I like the Baron so anything multi-engine that fits a few people is right in my really weird wheelhouse.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Milviz’s Cessna T310R is nice.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

I'm fond of the Airfoil Labs King Air 350 and just about everything Aerobask has put out. Aerobask also uses the Skunkworks auto-updater plugin, which checks for and installs updates at sim startup. Airfoil has their own manager that does not fire off automatically.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Thanks I will check those out

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It's not exactly a twin or a jet, but the Carenado C152 + the nhadrian mod for it you can find on x-plane.org is really one of the standout aircraft of the whole simulator. Like the Zibo of GA aircraft.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
There’s a Luscombe 8A mod out there and I just don’t know why you would ever need anything else.

NuclearWinterUK
Jan 13, 2007

Yes, I am very well
So I guess this is a thing:

https://microprose.com/games/the-mighty-eighth

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Microprose is still around?!

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Microprose is still around?!

No, someone bought the rights to the name and started a new studio/publisher. In Australia, IIRC.

Wild Bill Stealey is apparently involved in the revival though, sooooooo.

:toot:

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Oh hell yeah. The original flying fortress games were some of my all time favorites so a new entry would be amazing.

On a different note, how much of an improvement is X-Plane over FSX? I've gotten back into flightsim lately and only have FSX. I was debating getting X-Plane just because the dated feel of FSX bothers me at times. I guess I can install a million mods to update various things in FSX, but I always hate doing the Frankenstein thing.

I guess just waiting for FS2020 is an option too, but man it would be a hell of disappointment if it's garbage or gets abandoned and I end up getting X-Plane anyway.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

X-Plane is about twice as good as FSX, while by all appearances FS2020 will be about ten times as good as X-Plane. If your main concern is "dated feel," well, FSX feels like a game from 2004 and X-Plane feels like a game from 2010.

There are some specific things that are in X-Plane but not currently in FS2020, like VR support and helicopters. But if you don't consider those features dealbreakers, and you don't absolutely need your special snowflake airplane or airport addon that you spent 200 dollars on, I can't think of anything else that X-Plane has over FS2020. Maybe the flight model if Asobo completely shits the bed, but it doesn't look like they are, and honestly even X-Plane's model has to be tuned properly for the specific plane to make it fly right, so I expect that will continue to be a matter of effort rather than an inherent engine limitation.

If you can spend 60 bucks now and also again later this year, sure, pick up X-Plane to hold you over. I think it's pretty clear that FS2020 will be the target for all future civilian sim development once it's released.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 18:20 on May 26, 2020

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I'll just add that FS2020 will be on GamePass when it releases so the buy in is only $5 a month, which is way cheaper of an upfront cost if it sucks or something.

I would absolutely get XP11 over trying to raise FSX from the grave if you have money to do so.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Streamed scenery, modern graphics engine and actual weather model alone means that FS 2020 is absolutely going to be better than XP11. If you do buy X-Plane I'd also buying some Orbx scenery. It's another $30 or so but it's also tens of thousands of square miles of landscape that's actually interesting to fly around in.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

I'll just add that FS2020 will be on GamePass when it releases so the buy in is only $5 a month, which is way cheaper of an upfront cost if it sucks or something.

Sort of related, given that the streaming and server costs of FS2020 appears to be substantial, are we assuming/have they said it will not be a subscription model?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

They have heavily intimated that there will not be a subscription but they haven't outright said it.

Depending on how they've done things, it's entirely possible that the vast bulk of the streaming scenery bandwidth is going to come from hitting up microsoft's generic bing geodata services rather than flight-sim-specific ones, with the FS servers just needing to handle custom FS-specific data like airport details and multiplayer. If that's the case the load of this game would probably barely register on them.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

let me in fuckos

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
On that topic, is it worth buying P3D as a temp upgrade from FSX to tide me over until 2020? I have some ORBX stuff that will transfer over but also some PMDG planes I guess I'd have to rebuy(?)

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer
If 2020 is going to be on gamepass I wonder how that will work with things like add-ons and the way gamepass locks away things. Unless they changed it, gamepass puts all your games in a special folder you cannot touch. I remember this being a big deal for me because a game I played on there had a common fix for some issues involving updating some ini files, and it was essentially impossible.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

algebra testes posted:

On that topic, is it worth buying P3D as a temp upgrade from FSX to tide me over until 2020? I have some ORBX stuff that will transfer over but also some PMDG planes I guess I'd have to rebuy(?)

No, unless you're totally desperate. It's already halfway through 2020 and P3D is really obviously just FSX++.

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

I have to use P3D for client-authoring purposes and it's absolutely awful compared to XP11. Replies will not be accepted on this topic.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

MikeJF posted:

They have heavily intimated that there will not be a subscription but they haven't outright said it.

Depending on how they've done things, it's entirely possible that the vast bulk of the streaming scenery bandwidth is going to come from hitting up microsoft's generic bing geodata services rather than flight-sim-specific ones, with the FS servers just needing to handle custom FS-specific data like airport details and multiplayer. If that's the case the load of this game would probably barely register on them.

My guess? They're going to start charging everyone else a subscription to use their Bing geodata services. When they feel they've damaged their competition enough they'll start charging their own customers a subscription.

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

X-plane + free orthophoto scenery is worth it. Especially if you can get XP on steam sale like I did last year. Only payware I've purchased is the Hot Start TBM 900, but even with FS2020 on the horizon I'm tempted to pick up the Twin Otter, or Islander as well.

https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/36327-us-orthophotos/

uvar
Jul 25, 2011

Avoid breathing
radioactive dust.
College Slice

Absurd Alhazred posted:

My guess? They're going to start charging everyone else a subscription to use their Bing geodata services. When they feel they've damaged their competition enough they'll start charging their own customers a subscription.

Who is "everyone else" referring to? There already is a charge for using the Bing Maps API/data if you exceed the free tier. I have a website with an embedded map from Bing on it, if it's loaded more than 100,000 times in a year then I have to start paying or the map won't work.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

uvar posted:

Who is "everyone else" referring to? There already is a charge for using the Bing Maps API/data if you exceed the free tier. I have a website with an embedded map from Bing on it, if it's loaded more than 100,000 times in a year then I have to start paying or the map won't work.

What do you mean by "loaded"? 100,000 hits on the page? 100,000 times someone moves their map around, added up between all users throughout the year?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Absurd Alhazred posted:

What do you mean by "loaded"? 100,000 hits on the page? 100,000 times someone moves their map around, added up between all users throughout the year?

Looks like bing maps just bills on page loads, at least for embedded a maps. Each time you load up a map widget on a web page or in an app is a billable event, but it doesn't matter how much the user pans around afterwards.

If you're trying to get map imagery for anything other than displaying in Microsoft's map widget, though, they're keeping count of how many map tiles you download and billing you based on that.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

F-117A has been released on the Switch.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

SelenicMartian posted:

F-117A has been released on the Switch.

:eyepop:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

They enhanced the music and audio files, so I'd lay odds the size is 90% the soundtrack in modern audio formats.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 19:34 on May 28, 2020

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

I like the generic flight instruments they put around the borders to hide the black bars

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Jabor posted:

Looks like bing maps just bills on page loads, at least for embedded a maps. Each time you load up a map widget on a web page or in an app is a billable event, but it doesn't matter how much the user pans around afterwards.

If you're trying to get map imagery for anything other than displaying in Microsoft's map widget, though, they're keeping count of how many map tiles you download and billing you based on that.

Interesting.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

New FS2020 video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8_UZT8nL-U

Built-in AIRAC cycle data via NavBlue. Built-in support for SIDs and STARS. ATC still might be a clusterfuck.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Looks pretty cool.

Someone needs to tell Asobo that nav fixes are designed to be pronounceable and GRIFY would just be "grify," not Golf Romeo India Foxtrot Yankee :spergin:

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Sagebrush posted:

Looks pretty cool.

Someone needs to tell Asobo that nav fixes are designed to be pronounceable and GRIFY would just be "grify," not Golf Romeo India Foxtrot Yankee :spergin:

The fact they haven't let you in yet is a crime.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Sagebrush posted:

Looks pretty cool.

Bad news about that. Globally we blew our load, and there are a ton of perfectly pronounceable fixes along airways and on disused approaches. Nowadays, when you submit fixes for naming, it’s an absolute pain in the loving rear end to get anything pronounceable approved. For our metroplex program, we submitted something like 1200 fix names (that were not duplicative, we checked each one) and only got something like 10-15% approved. It took like six months just to get enough names to assign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
As a total loving newb, ATC remaining in the game but being able to make the AI Co Pilot do all the handoffs on long flights i'm extremely hype.

I always see FS games as like a vehicle for modding and DLC. The fact that they are lifting the base quality of aircraft is cool and good for the semi-casual person.