Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
That's a really dumb as gently caress bug, tho. Like you can't tell the generator what realistic tree sizes are per type of tree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
Do beta folks have the same ludicrous number of watermarks across the screen that the alpha does? Definitely looking forward to getting rid of that.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Well that's why it's a bug, for some reason that poo poo ain't followin' the rules I'd love to see a modded slider that can grow the trees to gigantic levels all over the globe.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
I'm curious what the advantages of buying on Steam vs. Microsoft store are in everyone's mind? I'm not too heavily invested in Steam and it's unclear to me if there will possibly be add-on sales down the line that might not make it to the Steam store version? I'm assuming owning it in Steam will not allow for xBox play, but I don't ever see myself wanting to play FS2020 on an Xbox.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I believe Steam has a clause where if your game is on sale on other platforms it has to be on sale as well on Steam, so I wouldn't worry about DLC not going on sale.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

Do beta folks have the same ludicrous number of watermarks across the screen that the alpha does? Definitely looking forward to getting rid of that.

The only people who don’t at this point are the media and “influencers.” Theres one “influencer” who has all of ~240 YouTube subscribers!

:crossarms:

In the early alphas they actually weren’t too bad, but they cranked them up in the alpha just before beta. They’re not like, TOTALLY distracting, but I’ll be happy to have them gone.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

sigher posted:

I believe Steam has a clause where if your game is on sale on other platforms it has to be on sale as well on Steam, so I wouldn't worry about DLC not going on sale.

someone should tell Eagle Dynamics about this. Their store puts stuff on sale all the time without a Steam sale to go along with it.

Also, buy on Steam. I expect it will be like EA and Ubisoft games where the steam launcher is just a launcher for a light version of their own launcher.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

sigher posted:

Valve does not enforce this though. When it comes to developers they let just about everything slide. An example of this is their policy on games being on other store fronts. All of those 1 year Epic exclusives are not suppose to have pages on Steam until they are ready to be sold on Steam within 1 month, yet Valve doesn't remove them anyways.

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

Sagebrush posted:

Hell, I'll set up a VOR navigation lesson myself once the game comes out if you want

I'd be psyched for this.

I'm really looking forward to getting back in to flight sims. I got a T.16000M FCS, thruster thing, and peddles and spent all weekend getting a spare bedroom all set up just for my sims.. so now I have a little room where I drive trains, trucks, and fly airplanes while I'm on drugs. Cool.

First flight sim I really loved was MS Flight Sim 4.0. Man playing that on my dads work computer was awesome in 1991 or 1992 or whenever, drat (learjet was best).

TealShark
Mar 22, 2004

I shall duck behind that little garbage car.
If you did not get an email notifying you that you're in the beta, check your Xbox Insider Hub app anyway, you might find a surprise!

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

i found only disappointment there

sum
Nov 15, 2010

I stupidly bought the game from the Microsoft Store assuming it wouldn't be on Steam. Is there anyway to connect them or did I gimp myself

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

sum posted:

I stupidly bought the game from the Microsoft Store assuming it wouldn't be on Steam. Is there anyway to connect them or did I gimp myself

You could still refund, games not out yet.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Holy poo poo I just tried that xbox insider app thing and I got the beta

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

cool new Metroid game posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!

cool new Metroid game posted:

As I said. No email sent. Just checked this morning and it had changed to open in store.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Bigsteve posted:

As I said. No email sent. Just checked this morning and it had changed to open in store.
yeah I tried it after seeing yours and TealShark's posts. wasn't expecting anything but bam, beta time baby! so loving pleased. just another 30gb to go.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Sagebrush posted:

The flight sim goons (well, mostly Vahakyla) are really good about having little Discord lessons and training sessions for the complicated DCS stuff. I could see the same thing happening with FS2020. Hell, I'll set up a VOR navigation lesson myself once the game comes out if you want

It was the flightsim goons who taught me to fly, certainly, back when it was just this thread and IRC.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

sum posted:

You may not have gimped yourself if you have VR, since that's coming to the MS Store version before the Steam version apparently. (due to differences in the WMR platform and SVR?)

Makes me wonder what other differences there might be.

edit: I don't know anything about VR, this comes from a news post somewhere that said VR support is coming to Windows Mixed Reality first and SteamVR later.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Aug 2, 2020

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The Hobbs meter in the planes shows how many hours you have in the type :3:

e: i found my grandma's house and landed in the field next door

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Aug 2, 2020

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Have there been any videos that explore the logbook a bit? Quill opened it, but I'd be interested to see if opening an entry shows landing rate, route, a map, that sort of thing.

I would probably still like to use like, SimToolkitPro but who knows, if the on board one gives me enough things to look at. I'm guessing it doesn't totally catalogue your "fleet" like ProjectFly/SimToolkit.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Also just found the beta in the MS hub app. Neat.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Where are you guys seeing it? I’m guessing I don’t have it?

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I think its under insider content on the left. But I don't have it so I'm not sure. Cough it up, Microsoft. :(

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

^^^
I signed up for the alpha with my ok-ish pc however long ago and never heard back, don't know if that helped.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Yeah, it'll only show up in these places if you've already signed up for the alpha/beta (and were chosen). Beta registration is now closed I believe, so if you hadn't signed up you're SOL.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

wait there was a separate sign up for the beta??

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

They've had at least three different sign-up periods, yeah. I originally signed up in September and only got in two days ago.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

They've had at least three different sign-up periods, yeah. I originally signed up in September and only got in two days ago.

I mean I signed up for the Alpha on day one, so I assumed I was signed up for the beta automatically

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Google Butt posted:

I mean I signed up for the Alpha on day one, so I assumed I was signed up for the beta automatically

That's probably the case. I didn't mean to imply that there were separate application pools for the alpha and beta.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Was thinking of buying a 3080 TI for this, whenever they come out. But, uhhhhh.... I guess I completely missed how expensive 2080 TI's are now. So unless 3080's somehow come out for half the price 2080's are at, I guess that plan's off the table.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I am not in the beta, but sim is almost out very soon anyways.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Was thinking of buying a 3080 TI for this, whenever they come out. But, uhhhhh.... I guess I completely missed how expensive 2080 TI's are now. So unless 3080's somehow come out for half the price 2080's are at, I guess that plan's off the table.

Everyone in America apparently decided to use their trumpbux to buy a new computer, and coupled with everyone getting their job to buy them a WFH supercomputer because they work on really big spreadsheets and the general covid-related supply disruptions, all computer parts are now a big ripoff yeah.

Once the 3000 series come out there will be a bunch of 2000 series cards available on eBay as the manchildren sell off their current parts, and the 3000 series are rumored to be cheaper than the 2000s were at launch as well.

Womyn Capote
Jul 5, 2004

Does anyone know if facetracknoir will work with this or are we going to have to wait for a plugin?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Sagebrush posted:

Everyone in America apparently decided to use their trumpbux to buy a new computer, and coupled with everyone getting their job to buy them a WFH supercomputer because they work on really big spreadsheets and the general covid-related supply disruptions, all computer parts are now a big ripoff yeah.

Once the 3000 series come out there will be a bunch of 2000 series cards available on eBay as the manchildren sell off their current parts, and the 3000 series are rumored to be cheaper than the 2000s were at launch as well.

But I'm looking at price histories on 2080 TI's, and although the price has wavered over time, it's still largely what it was when they launched. $1600 for a base 2080 TI here in canada, going over $2k for the overclocked editions. Like, my entire current computer was just over $2k when I built it a few years back.

Maybe if Big Navi doesn't turn out to be a giant turd that Nvidia instantly dunks on, it might provide some actual competition to drive down prices.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Click on insider content. In there you can sign up for FS and Minecraft. Once you join you will get two options, manage and unjoin. When you get in the unjoin will change to open in store.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!
Also, I loving hope I can use the poo poo I've already downloaded and just point the full game to the install directory.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Bigsteve posted:

Click on insider content. In there you can sign up for FS and Minecraft. Once you join you will get two options, manage and unjoin. When you get in the unjoin will change to open in store.

It's just minecraft now. The beta signup period ended on July 30th, I'm pretty sure.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Did you have to re-enroll into the beta if you didn't get into the Alpha? Goddamn it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WT Wally
Feb 19, 2004

sigher posted:

Well that's why it's a bug, for some reason that poo poo ain't followin' the rules I'd love to see a modded slider that can grow the trees to gigantic levels all over the globe.

Niagara Falls has a megatree growing right through the middle of the Sheraton.

Overall though this game still looks fuckin good