Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Hace posted:

If it has some kind of thing to use as a throttle you might be good, you really don't need a lot of buttons for FS2020 if you don't mind reaching for the keyboard.

https://www.amazon.com/CH-Flightstick-4-Button-8-Way-Throttle/dp/B00005123I

Assuming this is what you have, it should be more than enough for FS2020, it just might be a pain setting it up initially. POV hat for looking around, two buttons for trim, one button for braking, one dial for throttle and the other for mixture.
That's the Flightstick Pro, mine is just the base model so it only has two buttons on the stick (trigger and top) instead of four buttons plus a hat. Same analog section though, X/Y/throttle with trim pots for X and Y.

edit: Found a pic of one, surprisingly hard to find one decently lit.

Big dial on the left is the throttle, the thinner dial at the bottom and an equivalent one on the right are X and Y trim.

The lack of POV hat is what I predict to be the biggest issue, at least for the beginning before VR comes out, because looking around while flying is basically 100% of my interest.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Aug 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008
The autogen seems pretty powerful:

That's an old Boeing converted into a hotel or something, and the algorithm made a building in the shape of it.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Google Butt posted:

itll be fine lol

Yeah obviously. I was just saying that the trailers set the bar unrealistically high for a lot of people.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Gasoline posted:

The autogen seems pretty powerful:

That's an old Boeing converted into a hotel or something, and the algorithm made a building in the shape of it.

It does a pretty good job with building silhouettes. My childhood house and my grandma's house, which are both in non-photogrammetry areas, have the correct overhead outline and roof color. It is definitely not just saying "house here" and plunking down one of five building designs that you'll see a million times, like X-Plane does.

The algorithm seems to work well with one- or two-story buildings and structures of conventional construction. There's also clearly some logic for circular structures and curved walls, because it does a decent job with those too. It breaks down on unusual structures like (of stuff I've seen) architecturally distinct skyscrapers, amusement parks, and refineries, which get replaced with generic chunky apartment building looking stuff or walmart-looking sprawl.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I plan on flying over my home first thing of course, but my neighborhood has a lot of tall trees planted in everyone's yards. I have a feeling it'll be turned into a jungle by FS2020's tree code, haha.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I know it's not something most people here are gonna bother with, but has anyone tried FS2020 out with an xbox/playstation controller yet? I have some friends who aren't flight simmers but might be interested in checking the game out on game pass. This is something they're gonna have to get right for at least basic realism settings if they're bringing the game to consoles.

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I know it's not something most people here are gonna bother with, but has anyone tried FS2020 out with an xbox/playstation controller yet? I have some friends who aren't flight simmers but might be interested in checking the game out on game pass. This is something they're gonna have to get right for at least basic realism settings if they're bringing the game to consoles.

I played flight sims on and off over the years with a game pad and it’s fine.

poo poo I used to do it with DCS before I got my hotas.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I tried it with an XBox controller and you can absolutely take off and fly around with one, and sort of land. Not super well but I can get the wheels on the ground at least. And that's with all assists off; I'm sure that in easy mode it would be very pleasant.

left stick is pitch and roll
right stick is look around
d-pad moves your view focus (e.g. look at instruments, look over cowl)
triggers are rudder
bumpers are flaps up/down
A is throttle up
B is throttle down
Y is brake, or hold Y and press d-pad up/down for trim
not sure if X does anything
start and select are pause and toggle internal/external view

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFszHTaOs6I

Going to make a bush outfit named stoli bois

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Google Butt posted:

I really enjoy this guy's videos

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Do we want a new thread subtitle now that MS2020 is out soon, maybe catch some eyes and get new people in here? Or a thread reboot with MS2020 details in the OP?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Shine posted:

Do we want a new thread subtitle now that MS2020 is out soon, maybe catch some eyes and get new people in here? Or a thread reboot with MS2020 details in the OP?

MSFS2020?! In THIS FSEconomy?!

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Shine posted:

New threads are free.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Is anyone running with a 5700XT at 1440p in the alpha/beta?

Just wondering what kind of FPS I should be expecting out of my setup.

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

FlightSim Megathread: Crowdsourced justifications of hardware purchases

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

FlightSim Megathread: Bing Building Horror

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Chubby Henparty posted:

Try the latest experimental build - no idea if it will help you but it seemed to resolve my own issue (release version closing on Start, I guess due to my cam and hotas fighting for power supply)

Hey btw thanks a ton for this, it both fixed my problem and also works way better for me

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

FlightSim Megathread: RTX2080 cleared as filed

Or something like that

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

wolrah posted:

That's the Flightstick Pro, mine is just the base model so it only has two buttons on the stick (trigger and top) instead of four buttons plus a hat. Same analog section though, X/Y/throttle with trim pots for X and Y.

edit: Found a pic of one, surprisingly hard to find one decently lit.

Big dial on the left is the throttle, the thinner dial at the bottom and an equivalent one on the right are X and Y trim.

The lack of POV hat is what I predict to be the biggest issue, at least for the beginning before VR comes out, because looking around while flying is basically 100% of my interest.

I still have that joystick too, plus a Pentium 75MHz DOS PC. Red Baron is still the greatest sim ever.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

lobsterminator posted:

Red Baron is still the greatest sim ever.
:hai:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

gently caress SNEEP posted:

FlightSim Megathread: Bing Building Horror

FlightSim Megathread: Better Bing Buildings for Better Backyard Buzzing

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK
Flight Sim Megathread: Negative GTX1660, the pipeline is full

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

What do we want for a thread title for a Microsoft Flight Simulator exclusive thread?

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

XBox controller is perfectly functional. The one thing I was missing is throttle control, so I bought a Thrustmaster T.16000M for ~60€ as suggested by this thread and am perfectly happy with it so far.

You certainly don't need to pay big $$$ if you just want to fly around in a small airplane and gawk at the scenery.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Is FS2020 going directly to Game Pass for PC on the 18th? It's not listed on their August release page. I want to try this game ASAP, and I'll end up buying it outright if my PC can actually run it, but Game Pass looks like a nice way to test it out without worrying about Steam's 2 hour refund window.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Google Butt posted:

Do I dare to scroll down to the comment section? Planes on a treadmill already devolve into idiotic trash discussions, god knows what'd happen in a Youtube section.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Lester Shy posted:

Is FS2020 going directly to Game Pass for PC on the 18th? It's not listed on their August release page. I want to try this game ASAP, and I'll end up buying it outright if my PC can actually run it, but Game Pass looks like a nice way to test it out without worrying about Steam's 2 hour refund window.

yeah it is

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I said come in! posted:

What do we want for a thread title for a Microsoft Flight Simulator exclusive thread?

You mean the new flight sim thread, right? Because once FS2020 is out, it and DCS will be the only games in town.

Deanut Pancer
Nov 24, 2012
The FS2020 videos coming out this week have made me want to give it a go.
Was there some way to cheaply upgrade a MS game pass trial into a year-long subscription? I can't remember if I read it here or somewhere else.
Seems like it would be a good way to see how it works for me, whilst also getting to try a bunch of MS exclusives that I've been missing out on. I only care about PC, don't have an xbox.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Deanut Pancer posted:

Was there some way to cheaply upgrade a MS game pass trial into a year-long subscription? I can't remember if I read it here or somewhere else.
Seems like it would be a good way to see how it works for me, whilst also getting to try a bunch of MS exclusives that I've been missing out on. I only care about PC, don't have an xbox.

I think the 'cheap' option was to convert xbox live gold membership into gamepass time but buying a year's worth of xbox gold is still like £40.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

cool new Metroid game posted:

I think the 'cheap' option was to convert xbox live gold membership into gamepass time but buying a year's worth of xbox gold is still like £40.

it's 30 usd with codes and stackable up to 3 years if you haven't done it before

so 90 dollars for 36 months of a service. p good deal.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

Handsome Ralph posted:

So I was hemming and hawing over finally buying a Track IR and this guy's alternative caught my eye.

https://grassmonkeysimulations.com/

Bought one, I'll post a trip report once I get it in a few days. It seems promising.

Handsome Ralph posted:

So quick trip report, bough this guys head tracker last week and it works incredibly well.

I think the best part is the head tracker is wireless (so no wires like TrackIR), doesn't feel like it'll fall apart if I look at it, and if you buy the tracker with the PS3 camera from him, it's 80 bucks vs 160+ for the Track IR. I'm sure there are things Track IR is better at doing but for anyone who wants a head tracking system but doesn't want to drop 160+ on one, this one is a solid compromise.

I got one as well. I already have a TrackIR with the reflector hat clip so for me this was just an upgrade to powered LEDs. Like you said, the official TrackIR pro clip is wired so that was a non-starter for me. I looked around for alternatives but every option that I found (DelanClip, LukeClip, UTC, TrackHat) was based in UK/EU or otherwise unavailable so I went with this one as it was in stock with much faster and cheaper shipping.

So far my initial impressions are good. It works with the official TrackIR software out of the box and my initial testing already seems more responsive than the hat clip. The build quality is solid but it doesn't seem too bulky or heavy on my headset. The only unanswered question is around battery life, so I will play more this weekend and see how long it holds up for.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Deanut Pancer posted:

You can get game pass for 1 pound. If you don’t mind creating a new account, you can get it for 1 pound again, the next month. You’ll lose progress, of course, but I don’t know how much progress matters in FS2020

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

You mean the new flight sim thread, right? Because once FS2020 is out, it and DCS will be the only games in town.

Don't let X-Plane 11 folks see this post. :P

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

i honestly think theres quite a ways to go before it can replace xplane or p3d for airliners... but i have my fingers crossed

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

I said come in! posted:

Don't let X-Plane 11 folks see this post. :P

Something something study level

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

all im asking for is to wait 15-30 min while fuel realistically pumps

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

can i open the aft service doors in flight? no? then its not study level

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Speaking of latest sims. IL-2 Cliffs of Dover Blitz just got a new expansion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4c1R7KvlO8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

it's $60 lol. i haven't fired up cliffs of dover blitz but it's somehow in my library.. is it worth playing without that dlc?