Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!
Some weird poo poo going on in the Fjords in FS2020. Like they have the altitude data wron so it put some lakes on huge plinths rather than where they should be.

Would post screenies but microsoft narcs could be here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Euro Truck 2 is hella fun, getting better licenses and longer routes and poo poo. Even though the only real effect on the game is "now I drive longer and get more points," it makes it feel like a legit game and not a soulless training device. I'd love a flight sim with a similar gamey structure that isn't based around combat.

Now I'm vaguely recalling SimCopter. Loved that when I was 12, but I'm afraid to play it now in case it was actually terrible.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Bigsteve posted:

Some weird poo poo going on in the Fjords in FS2020. Like they have the altitude data wron so it put some lakes on huge plinths rather than where they should be.

Would post screenies but microsoft narcs could be here.

The elevation maps for the Faroes turn the islands into a non-Euclidean horror and the airport doesn't exist.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Simcopter was awesome and I think the only reason it might not hold up are technical. Kinda weird that in the day of Truck Simulator and Derail Valley and other weird sims selling so well no one resurrected the SimCopter idea.

Is it known if modding some economy/game structure into MSFS is possible?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Shine posted:

Euro Truck 2 is hella fun, getting better licenses and longer routes and poo poo. Even though the only real effect on the game is "now I drive longer and get more points," it makes it feel like a legit game and not a soulless training device. I'd love a flight sim with a similar gamey structure that isn't based around combat.

Now I'm vaguely recalling SimCopter. Loved that when I was 12, but I'm afraid to play it now in case it was actually terrible.

SimCopter is the game where on certain dates shirtless dudes makeout with each other so maybe not a great helicopter simulation but it has things worth noting.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Oh yeah I forgot about that hubbub. They stopped shipping and pressed a new batch without the dangerous gay men didn't they?

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

GhostDog posted:

Is it known if modding some economy/game structure into MSFS is possible?

FSEconomy already works so I'd imagine "single player FSEconomy" type things like Air Hauler 2 will either work out of the box or will be updated to work pretty quickly.

I'd also love an updated Simcopter. Closest thing we've gotten is Take On Helicopters which is...not great.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Theris posted:

FSEconomy already works so I'd imagine "single player FSEconomy" type things like Air Hauler 2 will either work out of the box or will be updated to work pretty quickly.

I'd also love an updated Simcopter. Closest thing we've gotten is Take On Helicopters which is...not great.

I’m hoping fs2020 revives developers to make a serious business sim that runs over top of the flight simulator

2020 version of fspax/fseconomy would be stellar

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Blue On Blue posted:

I’m hoping fs2020 revives developers to make a serious business sim that runs over top of the flight simulator

2020 version of fspax/fseconomy would be stellar

My understanding is that FSEconomy largely already works with FS2020, just needs a few tweaks to be fully integrated.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
MSFS 2020: Narco Edition

Star a billion dollar empire by flying Cessnas from dirt strips in the south american jungle to flying a Citation III full of product.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

drunkill posted:

MSFS 2020: Narco Edition

Star a billion dollar empire by flying Cessnas from dirt strips in the south american jungle to flying a Citation III full of product.

Yeah this, I wanna play drug smugglers and cops with bush and water planes

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Flightbeam Denver Expansion Scenery in MSFS

So purdy.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

I'm totally fine with those low settings. I just hope my computer can run even that decently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHm7-AkmX1E

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009
Hello, I’m one of those casual scrubs who played FSX a lot in highschool but just to fly around places, never even learned to land or anything, but I’m excited for this new game. I bought a T.Flight HOTAS 4 and am trying to decide if I’d actually benefit from the $120 version of this game or if $60 is good enough but you are correct that breaking into flight simulators is still spooky. The discussion on magnetic compasses and propellor angles make sense that they’re things you’d have to deal with, but also are very intimidating, but I’m excited to try and actually sit down with this game and actually learn how to fly planes from cold and dark at one airport to engines off at another with minimal casualties.

Long story short, this game does seem to be bringing back more casual flight enthusiasts so that’s rad.

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006
You'll do fine no matter what. That's my motto.

Sagebrush posted:

We need more flight sims that slot between the War Thunder MMO games and the ultrasperg stuff. Like the old Jane's games, or a box copy of MSFS -- it has always been realistic enough to be called a simulator while still giving newbies a leg up, and it actually has missions and goals and things to do, so it's fun for people with normal brains.

This 100%.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

V for Vegans posted:

Hello, I’m one of those casual scrubs who played FSX a lot in highschool but just to fly around places, never even learned to land or anything, but I’m excited for this new game. I bought a T.Flight HOTAS 4 and am trying to decide if I’d actually benefit from the $120 version of this game or if $60 is good enough but you are correct that breaking into flight simulators is still spooky. The discussion on magnetic compasses and propellor angles make sense that they’re things you’d have to deal with, but also are very intimidating, but I’m excited to try and actually sit down with this game and actually learn how to fly planes from cold and dark at one airport to engines off at another with minimal casualties.

Long story short, this game does seem to be bringing back more casual flight enthusiasts so that’s rad.

I think it's best to wait for detailed info on the versions. Are there upgrade paths etc. I will wait until release myself to find out if the $120 package is worth it. There wasn't really any must have planes for me and in my case the money will probably be better spent on future 3rd party planes.

And don't be intimitated by the technical stuff. It's really easy to learn new things slowly and because it's just a game there is no need to learn everything. You can ignore stuff you don't find interesting or fun. But plain flying does get boring after a while and you will probably want to learn about the systems.

I have never flown a real plane, but it is a really fun feeling that IN THEORY I know how to operate a plane and understand the systems. Although if push would come to shove I would probably die a horrible death if I ended up in a real plane.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I still think that the best ongoing strategy would be to spin off all the new tech into an MSFS combat sim with a more gamelike campaign and market that to more casual gamers, especially on the XBox, and then use that to lure people across to this as well.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

we need more submarine sims too

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
My main criticism of the beta so far is that there isn't an ingame radio (other than comms of course) or spotify plugin. I think if they really want to encourage people to sky truck, you oughta do that.

Womyn Capote
Jul 5, 2004

Is there any possibility of modders adding some kind of career mode?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

V for Vegans posted:

I bought a T.Flight HOTAS 4 and am trying to decide if I’d actually benefit from the $120 version of this game or if $60 is good enough

Game pass the lowest version to make sure you like it, it runs well, and that you stick with it. Then from there, see if you want to spend $60-120 on Steam on the game itself to own or if you want to spend some of that on better 3rd party aircraft, scenery, or whatever.

Womyn Capote posted:

Is there any possibility of modders adding some kind of career mode?

Yes.

This has been brought up several times recently. Flight sim is traditionally a community of mods that improve on a dated base game. That shouldn’t change too much even if the base gets a massive upgrade.

Hace posted:

My main criticism of the beta so far is that there isn't an ingame radio (other than comms of course) or spotify plugin. I think if they really want to encourage people to sky truck, you oughta do that.

I control Spotify from my phone when it plays on my desktop, why not just do that?

sellouts fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Aug 11, 2020

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

sellouts posted:

This has been brought up several times recently. Flight sim is traditionally a community of mods that improve on a dated base game. That shouldn’t change too much even if the base gets a massive upgrade.

And flight simulators are better described as "platforms" instead of games. In the old sims the actual base product provides the basic functionality and physics, but most active simmers have replaced most of the scenery and weather systems and planes so only little stock stuff is used. And they have added all kinds of gameplay elements where you can run your own airline.

3rd party addons are really important in flight simulators so I'm sure they will have good support for it (and some old stuff has already been tested to work).

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

sellouts posted:

I control Spotify from my phone when it plays on my desktop, why not just do that?

Oh sure, but that's kinda jankier and it's cool having the ability to access it ingame.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I don't think anybody has used any deluxe planes yet have they? I'm waiting to see if their quality level is the same as the base stuff or not but i pretty much intend to buy it. Price wise it looks like they're going to be the same quality level

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens
Probably gonna end up getting the deluxe edition purely for the Dreamliner and the Citation, finally something different than the usual 737/747/Cessna stuff that every sim ends up with, but don't think anything has been shown of any of the Deluxe planes at any point. Which seems odd. Still looking forward to it a lot!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Hace posted:

In real life you can tune your ADF receiver to the frequency of a local AM radio station and listen to ranchera music or jesus freaks over the beacon identifier feed so I think they should definitely implement that functionality. With only ranchera music or jesus freaks, please.

V for Vegans posted:

you are correct that breaking into flight simulators is still spooky. The discussion on magnetic compasses and propellor angles make sense that they’re things you’d have to deal with, but also are very intimidating, but I’m excited to try and actually sit down with this game and actually learn how to fly planes from cold and dark at one airport to engines off at another with minimal casualties.

The thing about a well-designed flight simulator with a friendly community is that it supports people with all levels of experience. You don't have to learn a single thing about compass errors or constant-speed propellers to fly. Just get in a plane with a GPS (or look out the window at the streets, now that that's possible) and a fixed-pitch propeller, or use the assist feature that handles engine management for you, or turn off engine damage and fly everywhere at max RPM and manifold pressure and blow through all the restricted airspace cause who cares ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. There is plenty of fun to be had that way. But if you do find that you enjoy the puzzle/rhythm-like nature of doing all the procedures correctly, and eventually want to learn about them and understand how it's done in real life, the opportunity is there and there will always be dorks who are happy to talk about it. (though in real life these days everyone uses the GPS too hah)

The problem is when you get a simulator that doesn't have anything to do other than learn the plane's systems ("make your own fun"), and so you go online because that must be where the fun is, and find a community that also doesn't do anything weird and refuses to allow poo poo like external views or labels on other aircraft or automatic engine management because It'S nOt ReALiStiC, and then the game crashes eight times out of ten, and it's just banging your head against a wall.

Games should be fun!

ethanol posted:

I don't think anybody has used any deluxe planes yet have they? I'm waiting to see if their quality level is the same as the base stuff or not but i pretty much intend to buy it. Price wise it looks like they're going to be the same quality level

I ordered it for the 152 Aerobat (gotta have those roof windows!!) and SFO and also because I'm a big sucker and also because 60 bucks is the cost of 30 minutes of flying a real airplane so :homebrew:

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Aug 11, 2020

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Man I really hope performance is a little bit better in the final game for my poor 4 core :(

It sucks not being able to use any garmin/computer-based instruments without having to tank my settings into the dirt.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

V for Vegans posted:

oh hey vegans... be my copilot and i will teach u how to type in the vor/localizer numbers and fly towards the arrow. prop angle is really easy you just need to learn it in the air tbh, and most planes aren't going to deal with prop angle or flight sim will manage it automatically for you

ethanol fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Aug 11, 2020

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Hace posted:

Man I really hope performance is a little bit better in the final game for my poor 4 core :(

It sucks not being able to use any garmin/computer-based instruments without having to tank my settings into the dirt.

By all accounts, the CPU doesn't impact performance much. It depends on how old your CPU is, but you'll probably be fine. Unless you're saying it's an ancient Core 2 Quad or something, in which case you're probably in trouble haha.

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

By all accounts, the CPU doesn't impact performance much. It depends on how old your CPU is, but you'll probably be fine. Unless you're saying it's an ancient Core 2 Quad or something, in which case you're probably in trouble haha.

I'm running the beta right now and it extremely does, even for my 4670k. Terrain/Object LOD kills cpu performance (this is easy to tell because you can just look at your gpu usage, and my frames will be chugging even though gpu is only at 70% usage)

A number of things will impact you, like object density, computerized systems in your aircraft, and probably how complicated the aircraft simulation is in general? I can play a savage cub at a higher framerate than I can like a 747, for instance.

The quick and dirty way for me to win back performance is basically just to drop my terrain and object sliders as much as I feel comfortable, but I love seeing the high detail terrain so much that it's hard for me to give it up :(

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Hace posted:

Oh sure, but that's kinda jankier and it's cool having the ability to access it ingame.

it's not janky at all, esp compared to your example of euro truck which requires icecast/shoutcast servers to work in game and is completely awful, but sure man. wish for more bloat/opted in partnerships. that always turns out well

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

give me the game now

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Hace posted:

I'm running the beta right now and it extremely does, even for my 4670k. Terrain/Object LOD kills cpu performance (this is easy to tell because you can just look at your gpu usage, and my frames will be chugging even though gpu is only at 70% usage)

A number of things will impact you, like object density, computerized systems in your aircraft, and probably how complicated the aircraft simulation is in general? I can play a savage cub at a higher framerate than I can like a 747, for instance.

The quick and dirty way for me to win back performance is basically just to drop my terrain and object sliders as much as I feel comfortable, but I love seeing the high detail terrain so much that it's hard for me to give it up :(

Keep an eye on the sa market , eBay , etc

There will be lots of people upgrading so plenty of good solid cpus etc ,

For instance my 4790k will be up for grabs in the next few days , because I went whole hog into a ryzen 9 system

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

This rules lmao, who needs FS2020 when you got this

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

LGR posted this vid on his second channel last week

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0g7boutSxw
MS flight sim 3 but aliens

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Taintrunner posted:

This rules lmao, who needs FS2020 when you got this

I, too, have flown with RyanAir

I'm pretty sure I'm getting the deluxe premium version. I've bought all expansions for IL2: Sturmovik and play the game like, once in every blue moon. I don't even like to dogfight that much anymore, I just wanna do some bomber or transport missions, navigate by sight, and what not.

And in the context of sim pricing, deluxe premium isn't that expensive. And if the sim community really throws their weight behind this game, there might be a tsunami of content comingup in the next years.

Really, if this can give me nice online interactions where not 45% of community whine about jews, communists, and SJWs, I'm loving taking it. I'll gladly wait for someone to get some game play loops going, like cosplaying a cargo company or a dope smuggling operation.

Lord Stimperor fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Aug 11, 2020

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

The other day I was flying with the online poo poo turned on and usually (in beta at least) if you see player tags they're loving miles off and it doesnt tell you how far away they are so I've rarely ever seen anyone up close but on this occasion I saw a cessna taking off really close so of course I flew over and waggled my wings a bit. Dunno if they saw me or just decided to ignore my twattery but they flew off on some heading and I decided to tag along and do a spot of formation flying for 10 minutes. It was pretty cool but I guess if they didn't look back or go to external view they wouldn't have realised I was tagging along just behind and to the right of them which makes me some sort of weird plane stalker. :tinfoil:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Depends on the settings, too. If you're a "live player", you'll only see other people with the same settings, i.e. live traffic and live weather. If you've set All Players, you'll see both the live players and those with other settings.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Lord Stimperor posted:

Really, if this can give me nice online interactions where not 45% of community whine about jews, communists, and SJWs, I'm loving taking it.

has this happened in any flight simulator? there's lots of dumb and bad things about the community but surprisingly i can't recall a problem with bigotry in game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

fuf posted:

it's so popular on steam that I hope the Azure terrain streaming will be able to meet demand

I know they can scale it up, but if sales are way higher than they were expecting...
Just watch, the way 2020 is going loving Skynet gets created in the process of allocating resources to Azure to support launch.