Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Next week's DCS mission sign-up is go!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15Grz7yEp70GOFfjch3zD1mp2TpDStdapDdqNVTAOu6c/

It's the Combat Search And Rescue (CSAR) operation from two weeks ago, tweaked and modified based on player feedback!

An F-15E Strike Eagle has been downed in Iran. Pararescue is on the way, but they need the area to be clear. The SAM sites responsible for the incident are also being targeted, both to clear the way for the CSAR op and as retribution.

Note that we expect the A10C II to be released this week, and therefore the A10C slots will be that version (barring any issues).

We'll try to accomodate if you want to fly but don't have any of the open aircraft. Just let me know!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Charles posted:

I think it'd be possible cause people ported FSX stuff to it and FSX to this game right? Wonder if the code was used for FS2020 at all or they jumped off from FSX.

My understanding is that MSFS doesn't really support the .gau format FSX used for gauges, and it also doesn't work with 2d gauges or the 2d popup windows, so those ports are all seriously broken and most of them were done without the permission of the original creators.

There's also a lot of issues with clickspots in the cockpit of P3d (and presumably FSX) causing MSFS to crash, and other weird stuff, so it sounds like porting airplanes from P3d will still be pretty broken until some bugs get fixed and the SDK gets expanded and actually documented.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Is there a real world reason why an ILS approach and its runway would be parallel lines with about 300 feet between them? Seems like that's a real mean thing to do.

I'm gonna go leave a nasty yelp review on ZJHK - Meilan.

Not that I looked at it before I landed (I just picked an ILS approach from the a320's navigational doohickey), but here's an approach chart for it.
https://opennav.com/pdf/ZJHK/ZJHK-10A.pdf

Is there anything on that in particular that ids it as so out of alignment?

Bedurndurn fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Sep 28, 2020

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Bedurndurn posted:

Not that I looked at it before I landed (I just picked an ILS approach from the a320's navigational doohickey), but here's an approach chart for it.
Any particular reason everything's metric on that chart?

Timespy
Jul 6, 2013

No bond but to do just ones

Combat Pretzel posted:

Any particular reason everything's metric on that chart?

AFAIK China, Russia and North Korea use metric altitudes in aviation.

e: apparently Russia changed over to feet in 2017

Timespy fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Sep 28, 2020

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
russia changed to feet for civilian traffic because they don't really build their own airliners in big enoug numbers anymore. no idea if they switched over for military stuff too. NoKo will probably never change to feet because all their tu-154s use metric, and tu-154 is eternal :v:

e: now that i think about it, i don't think i've simmed an imperial units plane in over a decade, and honestly, good riddance, lol

Truga fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Sep 28, 2020

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Bedurndurn posted:

Some ILS approaches can be offset in various ways; this one is just bugged.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Truga posted:

e: now that i think about it, i don't think i've simmed an imperial units plane in over a decade, and honestly, good riddance, lol

Altitude in feet, speed in knots and distance in nautical miles make it horrible to do any form of calculation without a computer .
Not to mention you fuel your plane in pound but the plane give you your consumption in...gallons ?
I wonder how many people died because of this... hate to say it but the Russians were right :(

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Krogort posted:

Altitude in feet, speed in knots and distance in nautical miles make it horrible to do any form of calculation without a computer .
Not to mention you fuel your plane in pound but the plane give you your consumption in...gallons ?
I wonder how many people died because of this... hate to say it but the Russians were right :(

Knots are nautical miles per hour, so that's fine. Fighter jets (and other jets?) use fuel flow in lbs per hour, which makes more sense. Also since you need to know max landing weight in pounds anyway.

Feet is not as convenient, but altitude generally doesn't interact with the others, so that's not as bad. Except when you're manually calculating slant range for "Forward Air Controller-Air", that suuuucks.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Krogort posted:

You need to know how much your fuel weighs to calculate weight and balance, but most GA stuff don't have landing weight restrictions (although you have to make sure burning off fuel doesn't mess up your W&B) so calculating fuel flow as weight per time is unnecessary

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It's all 6s. You just need to know your 6 times table.

Avgas weighs 6lb per gallon. That's easier than multiplying litres by 0.72 to get kilograms.

One nautical mile is 6000 feet. Not quite as easy as meters and kilometers for the few cases where you need to use altitude and horizontal distance in the same calculation, but still not bad.

The mnemonic shorthand for crosswind components is 1/6 of the wind speed for every 10 degrees off the nose.

Time calculations are all base 60 regardless of the system.

6 is the light

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Sagebrush posted:

Avgas weighs 6lb per gallon. That's easier than multiplying litres by 0.72 to get kilograms.

Well, sure, but you could just always use kg. Honestly, we probably should, given how fuel expands with temperature.

Sagebrush posted:

It's all 6s. You just need to know your 6 times table.

Time calculations are all base 60 regardless of the system.

6 is the light

Get thee back to Babylon!

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Truga posted:

The real aviation failure is aircraft with the airspeed indicator in km/h (or statue MPH, but that’s also an indicator of an obsolete airplane.) Also, nautical miles and knots should be an SI unit, if only to shut the loving Euros up about their “superior” units.

:v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
yank spotted

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

MrYenko posted:

The real aviation failure is aircraft with the airspeed indicator in km/h (or statue MPH, but that’s also an indicator of an obsolete airplane.) Also, nautical miles and knots should be an SI unit, if only to shut the loving Euros up about their “superior” units.

:v:

They'll call it the angular meter or some dumb poo poo.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Ah, yeah, that's probably it. Apparently they're the most popular kit aircraft in the world. Shows how much I know. :v:

Someone should make a My Summer Car but for some complex 1500 manhour kit aircraft.

I was hoping Plane Mechanic Simulator was like this... but alas.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Cojawfee posted:

They'll call it the angular meter or some dumb poo poo.

Acckqshually… they're called arc minutes or minutes of distance or minute of latitude. :goonsay:

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

Bedurndurn posted:

Is there a real world reason why an ILS approach and its runway would be parallel lines with about 300 feet between them? Seems like that's a real mean thing to do.

I'm gonna go leave a nasty yelp review on ZJHK - Meilan.

Your chart is super old. My current Jepp chart from Navigraph shows an ILS DME Y and a RNAV ILS DME Z to that runway, neither of which uses the same IAF as yours. However, I don't see any indication on the newer chart that it's offset. Per ICAO if it's offset more than 5° it should be an IGS approach, not ILS (FAA is even more strict, 3° or more and it becomes a LDA, like the LDA/DME 25 at KDLS for example.)

So it's probably a bug/yet another data issue.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

aunt jenkins posted:

Your chart is super old. My current Jepp chart from Navigraph shows an ILS DME Y and a RNAV ILS DME Z to that runway, neither of which uses the same IAF as yours. However, I don't see any indication on the newer chart that it's offset. Per ICAO if it's offset more than 5° it should be an IGS approach, not ILS (FAA is even more strict, 3° or more and it becomes a LDA, like the LDA/DME 25 at KDLS for example.)

So it's probably a bug/yet another data issue.

Okay. I went and reported it on their zendesk.

Thanks!

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

skooma512 posted:

I was hoping Plane Mechanic Simulator was like this... but alas.
Deadstick (the game) is supposed to have some amount of field repairs I think. But I also haven't seen convincing evidence that the game even exists so not sure if it's worth getting hopes up.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

zedprime posted:

Deadstick (the game) is supposed to have some amount of field repairs I think. But I also haven't seen convincing evidence that the game even exists so not sure if it's worth getting hopes up.

they are busy doing lots of important work

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I still think I’d play and enjoy My Summer Plane (Deadstick) but it really does feel like they missed a pretty big chunk of their market once MSFS came out and had good global VFR. It does seem like it’s buried in some awful development hell considering they show up twice a year and promise to do better about communication and then disappear again.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The guy did promise VR would eventually happen after being adamant that it wouldn't. But who knows if anything will ever come out. It seems like a common thread with people who make sims. Their users say "Hey, VR is really cool for simulations, it's one of the best use cases for VR, you should consider implementing it." And then the developer says "gently caress you, VR is a dumb fad, no one wants it, and I will never implement it in my sim." And then they either buy a VR headset or someone sends them one and then they do a complete aboutface and throw in a hacked together VR implementation that sort of works.

In any case, I would love a My Summer Plane. Build my uncle's bush plane, get it running, and then fly into civilization to get supplies and parts to upgrade it.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Anyone here with a high end pc running a 3080/90 yet? Curious as to differences on max settings.

My 9900k shows gpu limited so I'm thinking the 1080ti has finally met it's match.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

slidebite posted:

Anyone here with a high end pc running a 3080/90 yet? Curious as to differences on max settings.

My 9900k shows gpu limited so I'm thinking the 1080ti has finally met it's match.

The general buzz I've been seeing is about 40fps at 4k on ultra with a high end 3080 system. The 3080 is having some production issues though, and there are some intriguing rumors coming out about the next AMD stuff. Honestly I'd wait until next year and then evaluate your upgrade options then. I know I'll probably be building a new computer come january or february.

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier
32+GB of RAM is pretty mandatory as well.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

j3rkstore posted:

32+GB of RAM is pretty mandatory as well.

I never tried the game at 16 but I have noticed with 32GB that it doesn't tend to use more than 18 or so of that. And I wonder how much of that is just because it can, and how much of it is actually necessary.

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier
When I had 16gb the game would only use around 8gb max and the visual quality of terrain was noticeably inferior to when I upgraded to 32 and now the game uses ~16gb like you said.

FORUMS USER 1135
Jan 14, 2004

Is there a specific file that I can edit to change my callsign and tail number? I saw on the forums that it is stored in the aircraft.cfg file but there are a bunch of them and I'm not sure which one. I usually fly the shock ultra and that folder didn't have the file, so I edited the one in the 'asobo-aircraft-generic-piston-singleengine' folder but it didn't seem to do anything.

Any ideas?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

FORUMS USER 1135 posted:

Is there a specific file that I can edit to change my callsign and tail number? I saw on the forums that it is stored in the aircraft.cfg file but there are a bunch of them and I'm not sure which one. I usually fly the shock ultra and that folder didn't have the file, so I edited the one in the 'asobo-aircraft-generic-piston-singleengine' folder but it didn't seem to do anything.

Any ideas?

When you get into the main folder for the plane, you need to go into SimObjects/Airplanes/ and then the plane's name again. The aircraft.cfg is in there.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

FORUMS USER 1135 posted:

Any ideas?

https://www.msfsaddons.org/freeware/atcrenamer?rq=atc%20renamer

Check out this utility! It only works on 27 of the planes... there are 3 that don't have aircraft.cfg files somehow. Don't know which ones.

Airline name it will pronounce out loud (for example Charles, put just a codename like Alaska or Speedbird (British Airway's codename)), flight number I put only a number, I found that if you put in a name it spells it out via the ICAO alphabet (Charlie Hotel Alpha Romeo Lima Echo Sierra). Tail number you know is what's displayed on the plane, I dunno what ICAO ID does...

If I could do it realistically I'd have it so it segregates by GA / Commercial craft so GA just calls it out by Tailsign, but oh well, this is better than editing 27 files.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I'm having trouble finding my save files so I can restart the bush trips. The official forums are pointing me to a folder in appdata, but I don't actually have that folder. I can't find the saves in the install folder either.

Anyone have the actual name of the save files so I can just search for those?

edit: never mind, I found it.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Sep 29, 2020

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Charles posted:

Check out this utility! It only works on 27 of the planes... there are 3 that don't have aircraft.cfg files somehow. Don't know which ones.

Airline name it will pronounce out loud (for example Charles, put just a codename like Alaska or Speedbird (British Airway's codename)), flight number I put only a number, I found that if you put in a name it spells it out via the ICAO alphabet (Charlie Hotel Alpha Romeo Lima Echo Sierra). Tail number you know is what's displayed on the plane, I dunno what ICAO ID does...

If I could do it realistically I'd have it so it segregates by GA / Commercial craft so GA just calls it out by Tailsign, but oh well, this is better than editing 27 files.

Weird, because my buddy and I had made a virtual airline we dubbed "Navigator" and it read "Navigator" and didn't spell it out. It also got "Daher" correct. (though I've heard some youtube videos where they just say TBM for a callsign, despite saying "Cessna" for a type 172. Inconsistent!)

FWIW I always edited it by the ingame menu and listed the Airline/Callsign as the 'word' and the flight number as either the end of the tail number or a flight number if its a tubeliner.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Weird, because my buddy and I had made a virtual airline we dubbed "Navigator" and it read "Navigator" and didn't spell it out. It also got "Daher" correct. (though I've heard some youtube videos where they just say TBM for a callsign, despite saying "Cessna" for a type 172. Inconsistent!)

FWIW I always edited it by the ingame menu and listed the Airline/Callsign as the 'word' and the flight number as either the end of the tail number or a flight number if its a tubeliner.

Right, the interface on the latest version of the utility was a little confusing, so at first I put a name into the one that I think the in-game one you can only put a number to? (Flight #) Or maybe like you said the end of a tail.

FORUMS USER 1135
Jan 14, 2004

Charles posted:

Thanks, I'll give it a shot. The shock ultra is one of the folders without a default aircraft.cfg that I could find.

I've been using "BALLS" as my callsign and the ATC pronounces it just fine.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

FORUMS USER 1135 posted:

Thanks, I'll give it a shot. The shock ultra is one of the folders without a default aircraft.cfg that I could find.

I've been using "BALLS" as my callsign and the ATC pronounces it just fine.

What the utility calls Airline Name is Callsign, I also put my Callsign in the box that says Flight number which is what it reads phonetically.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Charles posted:

Symantec Endpoint Protection flagged malware in the .exe, so I'll pass for now.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

mllaneza posted:

Symantec Endpoint Protection flagged malware in the .exe, so I'll pass for now.

Potentially extremely ignorant point of view, but I’m wondering if this is just a heuristic hit on “program that goes into a windows folder and edits a .cfg” file as opposed to anything truly malicious.

CaptainEO
Sep 24, 2007

Found Something Great Here

Mokotow posted:

Some ILS approaches can be offset in various ways; this one is just bugged.

This *might* have to do with China using its own distorted GPS coordinate system that doesn’t match what the rest of the world uses. Maybe the nav data is in one system and the airport geometry is in another, and Asobo hasn’t corrected for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
661 meg update in the Windows Store.

With a nice new loading screen for the 7.4 gigs of additional updates to download.

FunOne fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Sep 29, 2020