Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

It's cool to see how badly these unexpected failures go. I've flown on single engine and dead stick many times and thought I was pretty rad at it. But if I didn't expect it and it happened when I was concentrating on something else, I would probably not understand what was going on. Pretty similar to many real world events, which reflects well on the sim setup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Simming is good for radio work if you use Pilotedge (use Pilotedge)

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Ola posted:

It's cool to see how badly these unexpected failures go. I've flown on single engine and dead stick many times and thought I was pretty rad at it. But if I didn't expect it and it happened when I was concentrating on something else, I would probably not understand what was going on. Pretty similar to many real world events, which reflects well on the sim setup.

Of all things, FSPassengers is really good with this too. You can set the failure probability per-flight when you set up the career, and it's actually random compared to the stock FSX failures, so you have to keep an eye out for them. Stock FSX, you know that 1:25 into the flight you're going to lose a particular system because you selected the system and the time; FSPassengers will dock you for not rejecting a takeoff due to uneven thrust because you didn't check for it.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

hogmartin posted:

Of all things, FSPassengers is really good with this too. You can set the failure probability per-flight when you set up the career, and it's actually random compared to the stock FSX failures, so you have to keep an eye out for them. Stock FSX, you know that 1:25 into the flight you're going to lose a particular system because you selected the system and the time; FSPassengers will dock you for not rejecting a takeoff due to uneven thrust because you didn't check for it.

I like FSPassengers a lot, but I haven't been able to get it to work on Windows 10 with my PMDG planes. Oh well

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

two_beer_bishes posted:

I like FSPassengers a lot, but I haven't been able to get it to work on Windows 10 with my PMDG planes. Oh well

I wish the developer would sell it to someone else if he's not going to bother with developing it any more. It's very well done for a guy-in-his-basement add-on from years ago, but it has some issues like the tire blow-outs and your compatibility issues that are never going to be fixed as long as he's holding it.

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

xEnviro is bae

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

So I played around with xp11 and the GPS for the baron seems to be off, the 1/2 circle with the +/- on it doesn't seem to work and I have to basically search and scroll to find the actual activation areas, anyone else having this issue?

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Do you fly mostly XP10 or XP11? I might get xEnviro if it works with XP11.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Just to let you all know P3D v4 is definitely a thing as Aerosoft has leaked a screenshot of the icon. It's rumored to be 64bit and backwards compatible with 32bit addons, so don't buy v3.

I also tried the X-plane demo and got 20fps so I doubt I'll be buying that.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
If that's true, I may slowly return to flightsimming.

Still mad about PMDG's stupidness, but I suppose there are other things.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

hogmartin posted:

you know that 1:25 into the flight you're going to lose a particular system because

this but birdstrikes at max settings in dcs because lol why is it even an option

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

u fink u hard Percy posted:

I also tried the X-plane demo and got 20fps so I doubt I'll be buying that.

In the Baron? Weird.

Magnaflux
Jun 28, 2007
Is $450 for a Thrustmaster Warthog Flight Stick a good deal if it includes some pedals? Newegg has this deal going on that comes with the TFRP T.flight pedals: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826280021&ignorebbr=1

OwlofDoom
Feb 27, 2003
Not really, no. They've go on sale as low as $300. Also, I can't find anywhere that says the pedals are included.

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

Just uploaded my first video review, the Carenado Commander 500 for X-Plane. Hope to do more in the future, let me know what you think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5CzKLtcFoM

Magnaflux
Jun 28, 2007

OwlofDoom posted:

Not really, no. They've go on sale as low as $300. Also, I can't find anywhere that says the pedals are included.

Okay, Thanks. It was a time limited deal, and only went until Wednesday.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Haha welp woke up early decided to fire up P3D for a change and apparently Windows 10 decided to toss my joystick order out the window. gently caress this.

EDIT: oh look it resets it on reboot to a different order. WELP.

EDIT2: Found a particular set and order of hoops to jump through to fix it. Involves going in to both the Devices app and the Device Manager and removing the sticks in the app then scanning for hardware changes in the devmgr to get them out and back in in the right order. The trick is with the CH controllers you have to guess which HID-compliant game controller is which, uninstall it AND the named entry, then scan for changes. Pain in the loving rear end but it works.

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Mar 4, 2017

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Reminds me why I rarely fly , it's always a huge pain in the rear end and something always breaks

T800
Jul 2, 2009

Sappo569 posted:

Reminds me why I rarely fly , it's always a huge pain in the rear end and something always breaks

As real as it gets™.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

two_beer_bishes posted:

I was able to get FSPassengers to work with FSX and Windows 10 by installing FSX into the main C directory (C:\FSX) to bypass the Windows permissions in the Programs directories. Unfortunately I just can't get it to cooperate with the new PMDG 747, but it appears to work just fine with the 737 and 777, although I just realized I haven't tried it yet with the MD11 or the Majestic Q400. Also, gently caress everything about avsim, it's a goddamn cesspool of retardation.

two_beer_bishes fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Mar 8, 2017

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

Colonial Air Force posted:

If that's true, I may slowly return to flightsimming.

Still mad about PMDG's stupidness, but I suppose there are other things.

What's happened with PMDG? I've been tempted by the 747v2, have they done something shady with that or something?

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

thorsilver posted:

What's happened with PMDG? I've been tempted by the 747v2, have they done something shady with that or something?

They have no way to upgrade their stuff to P3D. You have to buy it completely new. I don't mind paying "something" for their time to convert whatever changes were needed, but paying the full price when I alreayd did that to compensate them for their development time is insane. It isn't like they built the P3D versions from scratch.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pS5X3F0HN4s

Interesting video on a circular runway. What's your opinion?
I hope someone makes that into a flightsim scenery soon.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
It's a silly idea.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Yeah, aside from poo poo like "How does ILS work!?" it takes up way more space, and it's unecessary. You'd end up only using the parts of the runway that face the directions runways already face.

Plus he has all these exceptions, like noise abatement and whatever, so that planes can fly in any direction, except the point is they can't.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

The Ferret King posted:

It's a silly idea.

what could go wrong? :laugh:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
What is this even trying to solve? Landing in crosswind I guess?

e: yeah lol "inspired by scary crosswind landings"

Truga fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Mar 17, 2017

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Yeah. We're going to fix the problem of crosswinds by making every operation have a crosswind component at different points along the takeoff/landing roll.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Also doing flares at 15 degrees of bank is the best loving idea.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
The real question is what if you spin up your circular runway so that it reaches takeoff speed?

Pishtaco
Nov 10, 2013
A big difference between a flightsim and flying a plane, I am told, is that there's no seat-of-the-pants feeling of how the plane is moving. Instead you have to rely on your view of the world and your instruments. Is there a flightsim or mod that tries to fix this, perhaps at the cost of pure visual fidelity?

E.g., you have some exaggerated visual effect to show the difference between the Gs you are feeling and 1G straight down through your seat, such as moving the camera or adding blur along a particular direction. (Of course, lots of games have effects like this for very high Gs.) Or you could add physically modelled fuzzy dice; or just an enourmous onscreen arrow.

I have accufeel for FSX, but it doesn't seem to do much.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
There really isn't anything you can do to a desktop flight sim setup to make it not feel like you're sitting at a desk while your computer makes airplane sounds at you. There are better controls, radio stacks, force feedback etc but for what you're describing no, not really.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
A VR headset and a full motion chair will do that.

Enjoy paying $1000 for the former and $50k for the latter.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

The Vive is only $700.

Of course, you can't see your own flight controls in VR, so that won't help much.

Really you just need to build your own motion-controlled flight simulator for a couple hundred grand.

E: Or, you know, buy an actual airplane at that point.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe
https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/28285-1c-game-studios-signs-agreement-team-fusion-il-2-sturmovik-c/

Basically this merges team fusion clod with the actual game. This is positive.

Future North African DLC.

Edit; they might have a beta branch up already. https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/28313-team-fusion-simulations-update-game-footage-gladiator-mkii/

Hav fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Mar 25, 2017

Psy890
Jan 18, 2005

Colonial Air Force posted:

The Vive is only $700.

A GTX 1070 will set ye back $350+

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Vive havers, check out my new software, Virtual Button Box:

https://github.com/BManx2000/VirtualButtonBox

DCS A-10C Demonstration Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7keXsamgZw&feature=youtu.be

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Hav posted:

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/28285-1c-game-studios-signs-agreement-team-fusion-il-2-sturmovik-c/

Basically this merges team fusion clod with the actual game. This is positive.

Future North African DLC.

Edit; they might have a beta branch up already. https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/28313-team-fusion-simulations-update-game-footage-gladiator-mkii/

Wow, that's amazing!
And something more publishers should consider for their old games.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

lobsterminator posted:

Wow, that's amazing!
And something more publishers should consider for their old games.

The same happened with il-2 1946, it came quite a long way since the last official patch (I think 4-5 pretty major patches, plus some fixes), so this isn't a first for 1c.

Now if only they patched VR in, pre-missile air combat is the perfect scenario for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I got FSX working with FlyInside on my Rift, and it is pretty damned amazing. I haven't touched FSX in five years or so (and have always been super casual) so I get a bit lost looking at the million add ons available. I heard that it's possible to integrate google earth data? And if not that, what is the (easiest) way to get the game looking better?