Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

The creator has grogdev syndrome and adamantly refuses to put SF2 on Steam last I heard. Given how optional DLC heavy it is, especially with all the plane packs at $5 for a single reskin you'd think Steam would be perfect for him.

The game did used to occasionally go on sale. Like 25% off around Xmas but I don't know if he's done it in a while.

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Dec 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

Cool, but can you drop a toilet?

http://www.midwaysailor.com/midwayva25bomb/va25specbomb-010b.jpg

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

You can clearly drop a guy dropping a toilet.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Drop a guy sitting on a toilet.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

yeah, somewhere on the shithole that is combat ace there is a mod that does this.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

The creator has grogdev syndrome and adamantly refuses to put SF2 on Steam last I heard. Given how optional DLC heavy it is, especially with all the plane packs at $5 for a single reskin you'd think Steam would be perfect for him.

The game did used to occasionally go on sale. Like 25% off around Xmas but I don't know if he's done it in a while.

Does he even update SF2 anymore? I stopped paying attention to Thirdwire updates years ago when they were all about his mobile games.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

no he gave up with proper games because they weren't selling well enough because the dev never advertised or promoted his games or gave interviews or anything, so it's just lovely mobile games that I tried one time and then uninstalled. oh well, there's always the billions of mods to gently caress about with :toot:

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010
Is anything from the Carenado sale a must-have?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Wow, this thread has sure died.

Considering Xplane 11 while the steam sale is still on. I did end up with a 1080ti :3:

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

slidebite posted:

Wow, this thread has sure died.

Considering Xplane 11 while the steam sale is still on. I did end up with a 1080ti :3:

I'm getting 20-30 fps on a r9-270x. You'll be fine.

If you want to get yr airliner on in xp11, check out the Zibu 738. It's free and one of my favorite planes short of going ixeg or pmdg.

XP11is probably the best flightsim I've played.

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Getting 50-80 FPS with a 1080Ti on near maxed settings on XP11. Finally life is right.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

XP11is probably the best flightsim I've played.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
The mumble server I've been hosting for years will be going down tomorrow and will not be coming back up. I've been kinda monitoring the activity for awhile and feel like it's time to close it down.

I haven't really had time to play any flight sims or participate on the server, and I think everyone has moved on to different platforms like Discord.

So, if you are still one of the handful of people using it for gaming: sorry.

Thanks to everyone that has used it over the years, I had a lot of fun playing with you all when I could.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I don’t think I ever got to play with you, but you kindly made me an admin when I started running DCS and BMS goons, and there were times when the channels were full of people left and right. Besides that, it served flight sim goon group in 7 Days to Die permaserver (rip Burno’s cave and the shotgun Jae made that changed hands million times in the farm house).

So thanks for that, your server facilitated thousands of hours of hella dope vidya games. I really appreciate it, and despite it falling into misuse, this kinda makes me sad. I guess I’ll log in for the final time tonight for old time’s sake.

Edit: logged in. I will idle until you kill me! : (

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jan 7, 2018

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Really appreciate you hosting that for so long.

simble
May 11, 2004

Will also chime in to say thanks. So many hours of dcs played in that server and so many new internet friends met.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Dudes on that Mumble kept me going through some of the worst parts of my life. Rip airgoons Mumble.

Snapshot
Oct 22, 2004

damnit Matt get in the boat
Gotta say thanks for running the server, pixelbaron. That server was key to set up so many games of IL-2 and DCS.

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

I'm pretty sure I started playing 1946 with you guys in 2008 on that server. Thanks for hosting pixelbaron! Great times, like when Jae followed my 109 into the sun while his cornea was scratched.

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

I will come back from the dead and also say thanks pixel for hosting the mumble for like 10 years.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
Yeah same, thanks for hosting it!!!

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
So I made a problem for myself that may be beyond the scope of this thread, but I was wondering if anyone had any experience modifying joysticks and if so, if they have any idea what I could use as a substitute for the centering spring on my logitech extreme 3D. I've always had issues with the centering strength on it, particularly in combat sims when I'm, for example, have to constantly work against the spring while trying to follow another plane on a turn. Anyways, I went and compressed the spring a little in an adjustable wrench and spat a butane torch at it to try to weaken it, and ended up unspringing it beyond repair when it slipped out of the wrench while still hot. The joystick itself works pretty decent without a spring, but it does need some centering otherwise the thing tips forward and puts you into a fun dive the instant you take your hand off the stick.

I can take pictures when I get back from work, but the way the centering parts work is that the joystick section has something like a cup that the spring rides in, and the other side of the spring sits on a peg sticking up from the base of the whole assembly. I'm tempted to try drilling four wholes in the cup and four in the base, and running rubber bands from holes in the cup to the base of the assembly and anchoring them with popsicle sticks or something, but I figured I'd ask in case someone else could tell me that there's an easier way and I'm being an idiot before I get to stand in front of the class and tell everyone I'm an idiot.

EvenWorseOpinions fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jan 28, 2018

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Take the dimensions of the spring and get a new one?

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
That would work if I were smart and measured it before I broke it. Spring was conical shaped as well which complicates replacement selection. I think a regular spring could still fit in there but I assume they chose a tapered spring for a reason. Additionally, it's difficult to measure the clearance because the surfaces to which the spring mates aren't readily accessible in their assembled configuration. I'm resigned to the possibility that any repairs I make to this are just going to compound how badly screwed the joystick is, but I'm not gonna cry too much if a cheapo joystick goes BER in my quest for a lightly centered joystick. Worst case I have an excuse to buy a good one.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

You can get a used Extreme Digital 3D for like 15 bucks on eBay. If your time is worth anything, that's probably the best option.

If you are like me and having a broken joystick would irritate you when it's so obvious how to fix it, you can try (1) finding a matching spring on McMaster-Carr or something, or (2) buying some music wire of an appropriate gauge and winding springs yourself until you get something with the right tension.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
I don't trust myself to wind the spring well enough to get the joystick to center, but cursory google searches for springs led me to everything but McMaster-Carr and how I wish I had known that site for random projects for the last ten years of my life. If it's that easy to get springs I'll probably just figure out measurements for the spring length needed and get some springs of different strength and see what works

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
I bought the FSLabs Concorde-X after wanting it for a couple years. First time through it took me almost 3 hours to get from cold/dark to takeoff and at that point it was 3am and I was too tired to fly the loving thing. I completed my first flight in it and it's so much more involved than the usual airline oriented flying I normally do.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

tbf i think you'd usually have a co-pilot and a flight engineer

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
FlightSim Megathread: It took 3 hours to start up and then I was too tired to fly

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ain't that the loving truth

I so, so miss the days when you could just sit down, start the sim, connect to an IP, get in a plane, and start shooting. Now it's a nightmare of patches, updates, broken controls, bugs, random crashes, and other horseshit every time you want to do something. Il-2 1946 was the peak of the overall flight sim experience and it's only gone downhill from there.

Does Il-2 BoS have the ability to make private servers yet?

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Sagebrush posted:

Il-2 1946 was the peak of the overall flight sim experience and it's only gone downhill from there.

Yup.

Though on the civ side Xplane is pretty close, especially now that 11 is in a rather stable period development wise.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

X-Plane is good but it's got no guns and still has the super weird AustinInterface™. v11 is better but still not great. Definitely the way I go when I'm flying civilian planes, though.

On the combat side,

Battle of Stalingrad requires grinding to unlock things like bullets for your guns,
DCS recently set a new record by releasing an update on time,
Cliffs of Dover is so poorly put together it makes DCS look smooth and stable,
BMS requires you to set your controls with an Excel macro,

it just goes on and on

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

DCS: I have two hours to fly, one is spent designing a mission, thirty minutes spent loving with the multiplayer to make it actually see a loving server, twenty minutes pulling my pud while the other guys set up their controls, ten minutes flying, end up ejecting and quitting while still in the pattern cause I have to go to work.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

Sagebrush posted:

I so, so miss the days when you could just sit down, start the sim, connect to an IP, get in a plane, and start shooting. Now it's a nightmare of patches, updates, broken controls, bugs, random crashes, and other horseshit every time you want to do something. Il-2 1946 was the peak of the overall flight sim experience and it's only gone downhill from there.

Sagebrush posted:

On the combat side,

Battle of Stalingrad requires grinding to unlock things like bullets for your guns,

the new IL2 loving owns now and has like 50-100 people on the active servers every day. i just plug in my $25 Logitec joystick and I'm gtg - pretty sure now that steam support is there it has been autopatching for me as I haven't noticed any long updates keeping me from wanting to log in.

also pretty sure they got rid of the grinding for equipment bullshit too so maybe give it a try because it is pretty much everything i've hoped for from a stick and rudder pvp game since Rise of Flight activity died out. They're even going to implement those old WWI planes into the BoX platform along with cool latewar planes and eventually (hopefully) pacific stuff like carriers and divebombers ftw :pilot:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
can confirm, new il-2 is extremely good now. i bought it a couple months ago and didn't have to do any grinding either, everything was just unlocked.

it does get a bit expensive unless you wait for sales though

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Huh. This is Battle of Moscow, right? Can you set up a private server without too much fuss?

Here is my simple, attainable, yet for some reason loving impossible-to-attain-for-any-flight-sim-dev dream:

A flight sim with a small variety of planes in it, with clickable cockpits and decent graphics, where you can click "host server" and set a password and only your friends can join, and you can load a variety of co-op missions where you take off and fly around shooting things and land, and you can gently caress with all the settings right off the bat so it's easy to customize a mission and fly any plane with any loadout against the CPU without having to learn a mission editor written in 2001 or grind against pubbies for hours. If it has a dynamic campaign too, it's perfect.

DCS has most of the above but making missions is hell. BoS has grinding and it's a huge pain to run a private server. Il-2 1946 doesn't have clickable cockpits and it's getting real old graphics-wise and its mission editor sucks. BMS is pretty good but its interface is garbage and you can only fly F-16s and the graphics are old. Strike Fighters has no multiplayer and the developer is an insane grognard who won't release on Steam. Cliffs of Dover fails at basically everything.

If Battle of Moscow is like BoS without grinding and with the ability to make a private server, I'll buy it.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

BoS doesn't have grinding anymore, BoM is basically a standalone expansion to BoS (a genuine expansion with the steam version).

I'd kill for a modern "Strike Fighters" in terms of setting, era focus, and complexity/realism.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I'd kill for a modern "Strike Fighters" in terms of setting, era focus, and complexity/realism.

My lottery fever dream is to buy the rights to the PC version to make a new one.

EDIT: and it would also auto-detect your HOTAS setup and have a decent default config for the major ones (CH combos, T16000, Warthog, Saiteks). Like I would seriously pay someone just to do that.

Kilonum fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Feb 13, 2018

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Okay, well, looks like it's time to reinstall BoS and dig into making a dedicated server.

Apparently you need a second account and an executable that you can only get by contacting their support line? Why?

Because loving flight sim devs and especially loving Russian flight sim devs, apparently

Kilonum posted:

My lottery fever dream is to buy the rights to the PC version to make a new one.

My lottery fever dream is to do the same but not basing it off any old lovely flight sim, like every other project. Start from scratch. Build something like a modern Strike Fighters, with good systems modeling from a flight standpoint (all the nav equipment works, basic fuel and hydraulic and electrical stuff, etc) but only a close-enough-to-be-plausible modeling of sensors and computers because really who gives a poo poo as long as it acts real enough and logical things happen when you click the buttons. A handful of planes that haven't been done to death a million times -- no more Bf-109s and Spitfires and F-15s. Solid multiplayer, a real dynamic campaign, and a good mission editor. Open file formats and API, too, so anyone can make planes and terrains if they feel like it.

And while I'm dreaming I would also like a solid gold Warthog and a house on the moon.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Feb 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
i should warn you that if you're just reinstalling to start your own server expect DCS or BMS levels of tumbleweeds unless you organize goons at very specific times.

everyone mostly plays on WoL or one of the 3 side servers. There are a ton of people online but if you want to experience a furball your best bet is to dive into the established communities