Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Bedurndurn posted:

It's dumber. It's the classic fuckup of failing to cap your framerate so your GPU is crunching its rear end off trying to render hundreds of FPS of a loving progress bar slowly working its way to the right. If you had VSYNC on, it wouldn't have gone much above idle.

Well that's... I mean it's fine. It's Microsoft. They're a scrappy young dev on their first game, right?

Just manually edited my config file to get the controller sensitivity and tried a really quick flight out of KOPF. Performance is the same, that was never really a complaint, but the game locked 90% through the first leg so welp. First lock I've ever had playing.

I also never really tried skyvector planning before. Planning out my trip on the ground then having it insert additional waypoints in the opposite direction once I took off was bad. I just deleted them but it still had me wondering why my carefully curated flightplan suddenly saw me going the opposite direction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens
Everything finally installed and updated, currently enjoying a rather bumpy and wet trip near Atlanta in the TBM, so far so good with the odd exception of the King Air in which the screens simply refuse to turn on. Tried every combo of flipping the battery and avionics on but nothing :( I get the aural autopilot warning and I can start the engines and everything, it's just the screens and avionics refuse to turn on. Bit of a bummer.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Mailer posted:

Well that's... I mean it's fine. It's Microsoft. They're a scrappy young dev on their first game, right?

It seem to be published by Microsoft but developed by a tiny french studio.
Hopefully the game is selling well and they can beef up the studio to provide good support.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asobo_Studio

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Second flight post-patch went fine flying into Palm Beach. No ILS (boooo) but otherwise meh. Once again my rule of "FLC to go up, VS to go down" won out as FLC refused to take me down. That's not a new issue but it's still kind of annoying as FLC seems to be the safer option. No random waypoints overriding me this time so it was all smooth until the landing where I bounced once. I'll take it over the red squares route the game picked for me, which was the usual psycho corkscrew. Then the game refused to acknowledge I was on the ground so I couldn't request permission to taxi to GA. I rebelled against the unjust tyranny of The Man by shutting down power in the middle of the runway.

While I was flying I checked for approaches and the computer actually had them! Unfortunately it only had them for approaches I wasn't using, which seemed like they were meant for jets.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

It looks like my Rudder Pedals I ordered from MyPilotStore are now backordered with no shipping date in sight... welp!

One day... I'll have rudder pedals.

edit: Also, this update is making me download the whole game over again apparently... I have 110.83 GB left! Fun!

ickna
May 19, 2004

Krogort posted:

It seem to be published by Microsoft but developed by a tiny french studio.
Hopefully the game is selling well and they can beef up the studio to provide good support.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asobo_Studio

Oh dear. Their rap sheet of previous games doesn’t inspire a lot of confidence in light of how seriously people take flight simulators. Given the state of the game on launch and the hilarity of things that have been broken since, it seems like they might be out of their depth.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

I didn't appreciate they were French. That might explain no real patch in August and something rushed mid-Sept.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

ickna posted:

Oh dear. Their rap sheet of previous games doesn’t inspire a lot of confidence in light of how seriously people take flight simulators. Given the state of the game on launch and the hilarity of things that have been broken since, it seems like they might be out of their depth.

I mean, what is there and working is pretty solid. I've been having a blast.

It was probably rushed by Microsoft to soften the blow of gamepass price hike and to get something AAA out there this year. If they keep updating it, it'll probably be in a good place before Christmas.

This was always gonna be a slow burn kind of game anyway. You put it down for a while and check in to see what's changed.

Mailer posted:

Just manually edited my config file to get the controller sensitivity and tried a really quick flight out of KOPF. Performance is the same, that was never really a complaint, but the game locked 90% through the first leg so welp. First lock I've ever had playing.

I also never really tried skyvector planning before. Planning out my trip on the ground then having it insert additional waypoints in the opposite direction once I took off was bad. I just deleted them but it still had me wondering why my carefully curated flightplan suddenly saw me going the opposite direction.

They don't even have DX12 support even though the publisher is the one who owns DirectX :downs: Remember when people were bitching about DX10 being Vista exclusive and Halo 2 would only work on Vista and up? Now their "halo car" game doesn't have DX12 even though there's a real benefit to be had there.

skooma512 fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Sep 18, 2020

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Like someone mentioned previously, this has the smell of "get it out the door prior to launching on Xbox so we can launch the Xbox version with the polish people expect from a first party launch title that might be our big ticket item since no Halo: Infinite".

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Buff Hardback posted:

Like someone mentioned previously, this has the smell of "get it out the door prior to launching on Xbox so we can launch the Xbox version with the polish people expect from a first party launch title that might be our big ticket item since no Halo: Infinite".

Ehhhhh, I dunno about that conspiracy theory. If that's where their heads were at, why not hold back the PC release and make it an xbox launch exclusive? Launching on PC first, even if technically a later version ends up more polished, doesn't exactly scream "we really want you to buy an xbox" to me.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Zaphod42 posted:

Ehhhhh, I dunno about that conspiracy theory. If that's where their heads were at, why not hold back the PC release and make it an xbox launch exclusive? Launching on PC first, even if technically a later version ends up more polished, doesn't exactly scream "we really want you to buy an xbox" to me.

Because then Xbox players would have potentially been walking into the bugs PC faced at launch like Iceland just not existing.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Every flight simulator (not meaning MSFS, just sims in general) has been a buggy mess at launch.

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

big nipples big life posted:

Every flight simulator (not meaning MSFS, just sims in general) has been a buggy mess at launch.

Yep, FSX was an absolute disaster IIRC, even worse than this

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

DCS and its predecessor were certified junk, I remember waiting for LOMAC forever and god it was a mess.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Also forever

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

ickna posted:

Huh what the hell, they're the ones who made Fuel? That was a neat game (aside from the gameplay) with a giant scale open world. I thought the studio went bankrupt after it came out though 🤔

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

Maybe that was the plan, but somebody eventually put it together that there was no loving way in hell that it was going to run well on an xbox?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I think it's less about running it and more about controls, they are going have to do a ton of radial menus. The new xboxes are pretty powerful.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

ickna posted:

I'm reminded of the coworkers that think you need people that "don't know too much so they don't know what's impossible and might just make it happen." I'm leaking the software development threads into here.

I'll say it again though more obviously: I think the game is succeeding wildly in its goal of crashing an Airbus into your house.

ickna
May 19, 2004

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I'll say it again though more obviously: I think the game is succeeding wildly in its goal of crashing an Airbus into your house.

After this patch, your airbus’s engines will shut off before you can get there. :(

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Earlier today, I decided to take the Extra and fly it through the grand canyon, heading from KGCN up to page. Partway through the flight, I had to pause because I had to eat dinner and also do a zoom meeting for school. I am just now getting back and am ready to finish my flight. Apparently pausing the game doesn't pause time in the world, because I came back to this.

I was going 170 knots at the bottom of the canyon and it is clearly pitch black now. Do I continue flying just going off the 3D terrain of the VFD, or do I pull up into open air and then try to change the time back to day.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Do I normally toggle on auto selection before I take off? If so, would I normally do it as part of starting up everything?

It's weird, I took off with a TBM 930 and noticed "AUTO SEL" in the alerts, I looked up and sure enough, Fuel Sel wasn't set to Auto, so I flipped the switch.

Took off on a different flight with a TBM 930 and it was already set to AUTO.

I can't remember ever having to manually flip these before :thunk:

edit:

Cojawfee posted:

Earlier today, I decided to take the Extra and fly it through the grand canyon, heading from KGCN up to page. Partway through the flight, I had to pause because I had to eat dinner and also do a zoom meeting for school. I am just now getting back and am ready to finish my flight. Apparently pausing the game doesn't pause time in the world, because I came back to this.

I was going 170 knots at the bottom of the canyon and it is clearly pitch black now. Do I continue flying just going off the 3D terrain of the VFD, or do I pull up into open air and then try to change the time back to day.

Turn off your targeting computer and use the force to fly your way out, coward.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

A few games use PC as the public testing platform for the console release/patch, and I don't believe MS thought it'd take this long to get the game going on console, but my dark conspiracy theory goes deeper than that. Having FS out day one on xbox (xbsx? xboxx?) gives you an exclusive because the people who care about console exclusives don't count PC. Still, sims are niche and despite the positive buzz I doubt many xbox-and-not-PC gamers are rushing to drop $60 on launch day.

They won't have to, though. They can just download it using their free month of gamepass included with the console. If they like it, even for just the amazing scenery, then they'll talk about it and other people who wouldn't have touched it will download it. Even if virtually all of them are going to ditch it after crashing a 737 into their house, they're now downloading other "free" games and you've got another person subscribing to gamepass.

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Cojawfee posted:

Turn on the developer tools. You can manually adjust the time from the drop down menu at the top of the screen.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

There is approximately zero chance that it's going to be a launch title for the new xbox. Asobo has basically said as much.

FORUMS USER 1135
Jan 14, 2004

I was doing some sight seeing out of TEX and was surprised by a group of people trying to land the 737 and A320 on runway 9.

Commercial flights years ago were restricted to turboprops.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice

UnknownTarget posted:

Turn on the developer tools. You can manually adjust the time from the drop down menu at the top of the screen.

You don't need to be in developer mode. There's a time slider in the weather tab.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Yeah, I just made sure I was in a straight section and then I opened the weather window and slide the time so it was daytime. Then I later crashed into Navajo Bridge because you can't fly under bridges in this game.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

My TrackIR randomly cuts out when I start a flight sometimes. It works fine but the game is like nah and drops it.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Cool, last time that happened it was just the engine.

That would explain why it loses one though....

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I tried to fly from Austin Bergstrom International Airport to Albuquerque International Sunport, approaching using RNAV Z R21. It put in a bunch of R### waypoints that I don't see on anything and had me doing some really scary stuff near/over/between the mountains based on the altitudes. Also, the guideslope somehow caught but I was, like, 30 degrees off from the actual runway. I guess I'll play there for awhile and try to figure out what drugs the navigation is on in Albuquerque because they seem pretty good.

piratepilates posted:

It's weird, I took off with a TBM 930 and noticed "AUTO SEL" in the alerts, I looked up and sure enough, Fuel Sel wasn't set to Auto, so I flipped the switch.

Took off on a different flight with a TBM 930 and it was already set to AUTO.

I can't remember ever having to manually flip these before :thunk:
I know I had a problem with it at least once before. I was doing that recommended flight from Sacramento to Reno and I ate an abandoned mine in the mountains when it got mad about fuel imbalance and I somehow shut off both fuel tanks.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

Yeah, I just made sure I was in a straight section and then I opened the weather window and slide the time so it was daytime. Then I later crashed into Navajo Bridge because you can't fly under bridges in this game.

You can fly under generic bridges, just not any photogrammetry ones.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

You can fly under generic bridges, just not any photogrammetry ones.

I think it was a generated bridge, because it didn't look like the real bridge. Where I flew had plenty of room for me to make it through but I still crashed.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I managed to fly under the Golden Gate Bridge, but it made a loud clunk and destroyed the engine. :iiam:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

DCS and its predecessor were certified junk, I remember waiting for LOMAC forever and god it was a mess.

Oh boy, I have a closet full of Interactive Magic titles which you guys are triggering memories of.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

So, RNAV... is there supposed to be some sort of glideslope signal? ILS works just fine but I thought RNAV was just lateral gps navigation. This probably got covered in the last 50 pages or so but is there something specific on the approach plate for it? Do you need the computer to have the specific RNAV approach for that airport/runway for glideslope?

Helter Skelter posted:

There is approximately zero chance that it's going to be a launch title for the new xbox. Asobo has basically said as much.

Well that shoots my gateway drug theory down. MS has like... nothing, then. What a weird generation.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

I wonder if rotary and unmanned is coming

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Who said there weren't gliders? Courtesy of Reddit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/MicrosoftF...web2x&context=3

Mailer posted:

So, RNAV... is there supposed to be some sort of glideslope signal? ILS works just fine but I thought RNAV was just lateral gps navigation. This probably got covered in the last 50 pages or so but is there something specific on the approach plate for it? Do you need the computer to have the specific RNAV approach for that airport/runway for glideslope?
Yeah I've been chewing on this a lot. The impression I finally got is that it should roughly line you up with the runway but not put you down on it. For that matter, most of the planes won't even put you down on the runway automatically except the big airliners. However, the ILS approach should do a much better job regardless of plane. Before the most recent patch, I very rarely caught an RNAV approach. I'm doing much better now, but I just got a really wild one with Albuquerque.

Edit: I tried that RNAV runway 21 at KABQ again. The approach system did take over and kept me descending, but the approach heading was really bad. You can get an impression of it here:

There's a curve to it so keep that in mind. I think what it was trying to do was ease me into the exact center of the runway instead of the start of the runway, and maybe I'll turn off approach mode and see some time, but I just got too scared when I was something like 30 degrees off. That would be an aborted approach but ATC's been gagged.

The trip around for the approach was scary in different ways this time but not as bad as the "flying between two peaks" kind of scary I got the first time I did it.

Also, I tried to use FLC mode to ascend to my starting altitude and it decided to try to ascend at over 4,500 feet per minute.

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Sep 18, 2020

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

RNAV is based on GPS points in 3D space. GPS does not have the precision to put you down on a runway centerline due to its technology limitations.

To autoland, you need a capable airplane, which are mostly the tubeliners, and an ILS system.

Since this is not reality, you can leave your autopilot on on an RNAV approach and 90% of the time it will put you on the runway but that’s not auto land, as it doesn’t flare. In reality, you’d lose your nosewheel.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer
I feel like Garmin needs to sell a mockup version of the G1000 that just has the buttons and knobs and a space for an LCD screen so we can all have our G1000 sitting on our desks with physical buttons because argh I am just trying to set my target altitude ah gently caress now I am going down by 1000s instead of up by 100s because my head moved a millimeter. I wish I could bind a joystick button to "Pause opentrack" I guess. Or a MSFS hotkey for "G1000 takes up the whole screen and you can't move the camera", do we have that?

I flew St Pete to Lakeland VOR to VOR yesterday and my FPS was in the high 40s all the way through Tampa, but when I got to Lakeland (where there is not much scenery going on) my FPS was dropping below 15 and I touched down at 9 FPS. Plenty of RAM available, not much CPU load, 1070 GTX just running 100% and trying to keep up with the splendor that is Lakeland Florida.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

CapnBry posted:

I wish I could bind a joystick button to "Pause opentrack" I guess. Or a MSFS hotkey for "G1000 takes up the whole screen and you can't move the camera", do we have that?

You can detach the G1000 screen to another screen but it only takes the screen. If it also grabbed the controls it’d be perfect.