Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Sapozhnik posted:

same

it might need some time in the shop afterwards tho

I'll land it and survive :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Mailer posted:

I will definitely buy MSFS2030, because it's been really enjoyable learning about aviation and then having a place to put it into practice. I still haven't hit the point where I'm making GBS threads my pants in rage because a button doesn't work, but I'm pretty confident I won't go bankrupt on OnAir. The TBM was the first non-Cessna I tried and it remains easily my favorite.

There is no way in hell you'd ever get me up in an aircraft. Having to remember rules, checklists, how to actually fly, watch all the gauges, watch for other planes, watch the ground, possibly be flying something with no forward visibility, fuel mixture and rpm settings, radios, wind, landing... there's like a 98% chance I'd die solo and a 100% chance if I did land they'd immediately tear up whatever the equivalent of a learner's permit is. While I'd never do it in-game I totally get the landing videos where the aspiring pilot panics and is suddenly driving with their rear end while frantically pushing every button.

I've been watching some videos from that Air Safety Institute channel, and I think one thing that's surprising and that flight sim can't ever adequately translate is just how readily a couple small things will align to utterly fuckin' kill you.

It's still a lot of pigheaded or otherwise bad decisions on the part of pilots, but there's been a few that seem like a few things aligned and, while the pilot could have caught something sooner, it wouldn't have been trivial to realize just how screwed he was without the benefit of hindsight.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I don't know if it was this thread or another that sagebrush linked a blog post about a crash, but it was insane. There were so many things going wrong that I completely forgot that there was still a crash to get to at the end. It started with a guy lying about what kind of plane he was flying, and then making bad decision after bad decision, and ended with him reading the length of the runway he was trying to get to, thinking that was the airport code, typing in that airport code which was actually for an airport on the other side of the country and then ignorantly flying the plane into instrument weather and into the side of a mountain without ever realizing that he was going in completely the wrong direction. At a certain point, you need to realize that you don't know what you're doing and just stop. I guess it's hard to realize or admit that you're out of your element, Donny. When literally everyone you interact with is asking you if you are sure what you just said was correct, you might need to consider that they are saying that for a reason.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
So tonight I did a twitch livestream of a real life flight I make all the time. Posters will recognize me as a jerk pilot and real flight instructor

Fs20 gave me some unfamiliar instructions and I don’t have the garmin 530 buttons bound to anything so I’m manually clicking the buttons on the gps.

I was also doing an instrument approach. Cloud bases were at 1500 feet but I was going in and out of IMC.

Gotta be honest, it was super frustrating and I could absolutely feel myself getting behind the airplane.

Diversion of attention is definitely a super learned skill. You only get good at it when it happens to you and you can start to “feel” you’re getting behind.

Feel just sad for that guy who splooted himself in the mountain. Even if he was awful it still sucks how quickly some bad typing on a gps and lack of situational awareness can get you :/

http://www.twitch.tv/FuriousPhoen1x for Mooney related real life flights where I teach and fly!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

I don't know if it was this thread or another that sagebrush linked a blog post about a crash, but it was insane. There were so many things going wrong

https://fearoflanding.com/accidents/accident-reports/hes-a-terror-in-a-twin/

Captain Apollo posted:

Feel just sad for that guy who splooted himself in the mountain. Even if he was awful it still sucks how quickly some bad typing on a gps and lack of situational awareness can get you :/

I feel bad for his family. I don't feel all that bad for him, because by all accounts he was an incompetent, egotistical moron who intentionally did dangerous and illegal things.

Highlights from the linked story:

- pilot claimed he had flown F-4 Phantoms for the Marines but they had no record of him
- his logbook recorded multiple cases where he conducted low passes over crowds of people and landed on open highways
- he was not multi-engine rated but purchased a twin-engine airplane, flew it the same day, logged no training
- lied about his airplane type on the radio (presumably because it would record that he was operating without the right certificate)
- didn't appear to understand how to make radio calls or enter a pattern properly, had extreme trouble landing at his first destination
- after refueling, taxied onto the runway and started to take off without making any calls to ATC
- caused an airliner on final approach to be diverted due to his runway incursion
- after a lengthy chewing-out by the tower, took off again
- once airborne, apparently entered L51 instead of TDW into his handheld GPS, mistaking the code for a lighted runway with a length of 5100 feet for the airport identifier

- apparently performed no navigational crosschecks at any time and just flew straight along the line his GPS told him, 90 degrees off from his intended heading, for at least an hour until he hit the side of a mountain

Like sure everyone has made dumb mistakes like misreading a chart or tuning the wrong frequency. But if you're ever making as many mistakes as that guy did on a single flight...

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008
I know I've learned that if this landing doesn't look loving wonderful, that I should just go around.

Now I almost never do because it's not real, but as I die for the 4th time after a multi-hour flight, I know in my heart that it would've been the right call.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
One thing I've been noticing as I fly the airliners more - the A320 seems to have higher fuel consumption than I'd expect given the map range (I tried flying from EGLL-KJFK but ran out of fuel about an hour before the flight so I had to cheat in-flight refuel), while the 787 seems to last forever. I timed my fuel consumption on the 787 at cruise and got something insane like 30 hours of remaining flight time.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

Shipon posted:

One thing I've been noticing as I fly the airliners more - the A320 seems to have higher fuel consumption than I'd expect given the map range (I tried flying from EGLL-KJFK but ran out of fuel about an hour before the flight so I had to cheat in-flight refuel), while the 787 seems to last forever. I timed my fuel consumption on the 787 at cruise and got something insane like 30 hours of remaining flight time.

Yeah the a320 is a dirty liar. The a32nx mod here https://github.com/flybywiresim/a32nx makes it actually work.

Somebody was telling me that the game burns a kilogram of fuel when it should be burning a pound, so it's literally less than half the range it should be.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Bedurndurn posted:

Yeah the a320 is a dirty liar. The a32nx mod here https://github.com/flybywiresim/a32nx makes it actually work.

Somebody was telling me that the game burns a kilogram of fuel when it should be burning a pound, so it's literally less than half the range it should be.

I would probably lol forever if the French devs made this mistake while also making the entire world conform to American airspace rules and poo poo like that.

Hoping we get a decent set of fixes tomorrow. I’ve kind of lost the honeymoon period with the sim but I still want to fly real bad. Currently the crashes and bugs I keep running into are dealbreakers. I had said weather was my big issue until the patch that more or less fixed 225/3 also made my game crash every 20 minutes. :/

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Cojawfee posted:

I don't know if it was this thread or another that sagebrush linked a blog post about a crash, but it was insane. There were so many things going wrong that I completely forgot that there was still a crash to get to at the end. It started with a guy lying about what kind of plane he was flying, and then making bad decision after bad decision, and ended with him reading the length of the runway he was trying to get to, thinking that was the airport code, typing in that airport code which was actually for an airport on the other side of the country and then ignorantly flying the plane into instrument weather and into the side of a mountain without ever realizing that he was going in completely the wrong direction. At a certain point, you need to realize that you don't know what you're doing and just stop. I guess it's hard to realize or admit that you're out of your element, Donny. When literally everyone you interact with is asking you if you are sure what you just said was correct, you might need to consider that they are saying that for a reason.

Then there is this guy who flew a King Air with just a single engine certificate and 80 hours in a Cessna because the pilot died right after take-off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqPvVxxIDr0

He ends up getting his commercial and multi engine certs in that same King Air and fly it for wounded veterans and relief missions to Haiti.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Sagebrush posted:

I feel bad for his family. I don't feel all that bad for him, because by all accounts he was an incompetent, egotistical moron who intentionally did dangerous and illegal things.

- pilot claimed he had flown F-4 Phantoms for the Marines but they had no record of him
- his logbook recorded multiple cases where he conducted low passes over crowds of people and landed on open highways
- he was not multi-engine rated but purchased a twin-engine airplane, flew it the same day, logged no training
- lied about his airplane type on the radio (presumably because it would record that he was operating without the right certificate)
- didn't appear to understand how to make radio calls or enter a pattern properly, had extreme trouble landing at his first destination
- after refueling, taxied onto the runway and started to take off without making any calls to ATC
- caused an airliner on final approach to be diverted due to his runway incursion
- once airborne, apparently entered L51 instead of TDW into his handheld GPS, mistaking the code for a lighted runway with a length of 5100 feet for the airport identifier

- apparently performed no navigational crosschecks at any time and just flew straight along the line his GPS told him, 90 degrees off from his intended heading, for at least an hour until he hit the side of a mountain

Like sure everyone has made dumb mistakes like misreading a chart or tuning the wrong frequency. But if you're ever making as many mistakes as that guy did on a single flight...

I'm trying to figure out which is more frustrating....this guy or the guy who crashed his seaplane at Oshkosh.

Edit: AOPA Accident Case Study Video on the Seaplane accident

JayKay fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Sep 24, 2020

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

JayKay posted:

I'm trying to figure out which is more frustrating....this guy or the guy who crashed his seaplane at Oshkosh.

Edit: AOPA Accident Case Study Video on the Seaplane accident
Haha what the gently caress was waiting for him at the destination to tunnel vision so hard you drive your plane in a circle around a mooring like a cartoon

quote:

He started the engine while the airplane was stilled tied to a mooring plug and the airplane began to turn in a circle. When the volunteer boat crew stopped him and asked what he was trying to do he was very argumentative and said, "you can't prevent me from leaving with my aircraft."

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

zedprime posted:

Haha what the gently caress was waiting for him at the destination to tunnel vision so hard you drive your plane in a circle around a mooring like a cartoon

The Venn diagrams of recreational pilots, boomers, and SovCits are drat near a perfect circle.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

MrYenko posted:

The Venn diagrams of recreational pilots, boomers, and SovCits are drat near a perfect circle.

He was 84 so pre-Boomer!

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Ah so even more entitled.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
Microsoft have announced a big Japan (free) update including handcrafted airports, photogrametry cities and many Japanese landmarks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pue2-OS4Kl8

Krogort fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Sep 24, 2020

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

zedprime posted:

quote:

Since Ray loved a good fly-in breakfast, funeral services are 10 a.m. Saturday at the Southwest Minnesota Regional Airport – Ryan Field Marshall (KMML) in Marshall with a pancake breakfast to follow.

A fly-in breakfast apparently (as he was flying to KMML).

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Oh man photogrammetry tokyo was like my number one request for a location in the entire game. What an awesome announcement :shobon:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Krogort posted:

Microsoft have announced a big Japan (free) update including handcrafted airports, photogrametry cities and many Japanese landmarks.

Very nice update! Especially for Tokyo.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Krogort posted:

This is a nice way to do improvements. Rather than improve random places around the world, fix one country/region and make it really good.

This also makes buying 3rd party scenery riskier. Not nice if you just bought some Japan scenery and then MS releases a free update that may well be better quality than the 3rd party one.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Buff Hardback posted:

A fly-in breakfast apparently (as he was flying to KMML).

I just found his obit and they really nailed his likeness in the video.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Hopefully they do more areas with hand done stuff, or let people submit custom buildings to replace autogenerated photogrammetry buildings.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I'd like to see a US National Parks update in the future.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

Hopefully they do more areas with hand done stuff, or let people submit custom buildings to replace autogenerated photogrammetry buildings.

I think this is the plan, Microsoft said 10 year support roadmap.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

I said come in! posted:

I think this is the plan, Microsoft said 10 year support roadmap.

Rick and Morty 100 years *belch*

They say this but... who knows if they'll deliver?

Billy the Mountain
Feb 3, 2005

I used to be TheRealLuquado

I hope so. London sure could use a revamp.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Moving to a community submitted and moderated portal of sorts like X-plane had for airports would be ideal, I hope it’s in the cards eventually.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Call me crazy but I do truthfully expect MS to support this for a good long while which is why I'm not buying any 3rd party stuff yet.

Now there are ton of areas for improvement. From stupid silly things like not being able to render palm trees to more serious things like real time weather being broken and auto pilot trying to kill you in most planes. That said, and this again isn't excusing very real issues and complaints we all have...but the game has been out a month. I'm very interested to see how this game behaves and what updates we will get to see how this game is operating come, say, January 1st.

I would expect 3rd party add ons will be needed for 100 percent accurate plane interiors etc. but this japan update is exciting and does leave me hopeful!

That said, I watched this last night then did some further reading on this incident: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mf3xhjXl454

https://www.flyingmag.com/aftermath-cirrus-crash-june-2016/

Would love some the real flight heads opinions here. This one truly broke my heart. Now I realize it almost certainly always comes down to PIC and having the sense or even courage to say you need help, but it feels like this situation wasn't just a pilot overwhelmed by ATC giving some somewhat confusing commands. Its just stressful to think about and given that I'm not a actual pilot but having skimmed comments it does seem like in situations like this ATC will logically sometimes shuffle smaller planes around.

Gomez Chamberlain
Mar 22, 2005

Subakh ul kuhar!
They absolutely will, and failing that the community has always been powerfully good at keeping the rotting corpse of a flight sim platform alive long beyond its viability.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

what

Shirakawa-go is a famous picturesque rural village in Japan with lots of traditional Japanese architecture. This looks like the same generic western buildings they populate the rest of the world with, with no touch-ups. I'm struggling to see what they did here.

love all these multi-story apartment buildings hanging out in the middle of a remote farming village though

edit: to be clear, the trailer shows the northern half of the village which has more modern japanese architecture than the southern half (which is full of steep thatch roofs and poo poo) but this still looks absolutely nothing like that. I generally don't care when non-photogrammetry areas don't resemble their real-life counterparts but I'm confused by why this is even in the trailer.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Sep 24, 2020

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

soggybagel posted:

That said, I watched this last night then did some further reading on this incident: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mf3xhjXl454

https://www.flyingmag.com/aftermath-cirrus-crash-june-2016/

Would love some the real flight heads opinions here. This one truly broke my heart. Now I realize it almost certainly always comes down to PIC and having the sense or even courage to say you need help, but it feels like this situation wasn't just a pilot overwhelmed by ATC giving some somewhat confusing commands. Its just stressful to think about and given that I'm not a actual pilot but having skimmed comments it does seem like in situations like this ATC will logically sometimes shuffle smaller planes around.

The controllers clearly didn’t help the situation, but the pilot always has the option to say “unable” if ATC gives an instruction that’s unsafe, since the PIC is responsible for the safe operation of the flight, not ATC.

One thing that comes up a lot in discussions of aviation safety is the concept of “Aviate, Navigate, Communicate” as the correct list of priorities for pilots, and it absolutely applies at every level. I’ve heard an airline crew tell ATC to “standby, we’re busy” when the controller gave a complex set of directions right after a go-around, and while the controller clearly wasn’t happy about effectively being told to shut up, the crew absolutely did the right thing, and everyone involved recognized that.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It definitely would be nice if if they would make some generic models for trees and then go around and replace ground spikes that are clearly trees with a simple model that looks better than a blob. I'd even do a mechanical Turk style style thing where it shows you pictures of street view and you pick a tree to replace the blob with.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

It definitely would be nice if if they would make some generic models for trees and then go around and replace ground spikes that are clearly trees with a simple model that looks better than a blob. I'd even do a mechanical Turk style style thing where it shows you pictures of street view and you pick a tree to replace the blob with.

They already clearly have a system to procedurally identify photogrammetry trees and replace them with generic models. You can see this in any photogrammetry area in the game with trees. There will be some of the green ground spikes but also lots of actual trees. They just need to tweak their algorithms to better identify and replace them.

As for the turk thing, the less third-world-wage gig economy bullshit involved in the making of this game the better

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I actually tried to turn off the auto gen tree sprites because they hide my house and spawn in the middle of wide roads but all of the settings I found didn't work.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

Charles posted:

I actually tried to turn off the auto gen tree sprites because they hide my house and spawn in the middle of wide roads but all of the settings I found didn't work.

Yeah the algorithm is also a little too excited to make dense trees. Specifically Los Angeles (where I live) has far too much foliage. It seems to interpret any green curb space as a space where trees have to be, which in LA is certainly not the case.

I would love Microsoft to show some more love to Asian countries though. This Japan pack is a good start. Would love to see Seoul get a bit of love.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
My photogrammetry city looks like a forest because it interpreted the urban greenery as much more tree dense that it is technically.

Part of that is they don't seem to have a great diversity or great control on forest variation. That's the final frontier I'm really more interested in than bespoke payware obscure airports. The character of forests greatly changes with a couple hours flight in one direction or another, not to mention comparing orchards to old growth to managed forests.

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Sagebrush posted:

JFC. I'm surprised he was alive long enough to die in a crash like that.

zedprime posted:

Muh freedumbs boomer brain.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

what

Shirakawa-go is a famous picturesque rural village in Japan with lots of traditional Japanese architecture. This looks like the same generic western buildings they populate the rest of the world with, with no touch-ups. I'm struggling to see what they did here.

love all these multi-story apartment buildings hanging out in the middle of a remote farming village though

edit: to be clear, the trailer shows the northern half of the village which has more modern japanese architecture than the southern half (which is full of steep thatch roofs and poo poo) but this still looks absolutely nothing like that. I generally don't care when non-photogrammetry areas don't resemble their real-life counterparts but I'm confused by why this is even in the trailer.

Looking at pictures on Google, and I have to agree you are correct. Microsoft got it 100% wrong. They didn't even try. This is a good callout.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Asobo *really* needs someone better at the community side of things. I'm definitely here for the long haul and I get these bugs won't get fixed overnight, but it sure read from their last update that we were going to get some fixes in a small patch today. (A 'feedback snapshot') - Turns out instead they meant "we'll mention the fixes on the 24th for the next patch, which is coming the 29th, but is listed as the 24th on roadmap."

Which, they were probably always going to take that long, and I'm fine with that, but stop being so vague about the issues and when they'll be fixed. Just be clear and internally consistent and I won't bitch nearly as much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

oh my god this is insane