Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

Shine posted:

TrackIR and similar face trackers are very popular in combat sims, particularly for close-range combat (WW2, for example). I used one for many years until VR happened.

They're probably less common in civilian sims, as you really don't need to have your head on a swivel if nothing's trying to kill you.

This is kind of a general question to all the VR chat, but what’s the recommended thing for replacing some keyboard commands in DCS? I’m not sure I want to shell out a ton of money for a warthog or something. I have a T-Flight HOTAS X that works really well for most things with the mapping / modifiers I have but I’d really like to not have to look down the gap in my headset to fumble at the keyboard. I guess I could get a T16k or something but have been reading about Voice Attack and was going to give that a try. Anything else worth checking out?

e: I’d spend $200-250 on a new stick / throttle if I could do a majority of things without having to peek the keyboard.

SixPabst fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jan 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

Thanks all. I'll spring for the T.16000 and spend some time with Voice Attack.

Sagebrush posted:

Your specific issue, about trying to operate complex controls while in VR, is a big part of why I do not like (the current generation of) VR headsets for flight simulators.

In a way I'm glad to hear that I'm not just missing something super obvious but I completely agree. It's so, so close to being really awesome.

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

akadajet posted:

Get a better ISP. Took me like an hour.

Having the same issue with gigabit cable. Tried the console and other fixes, still hovering around 5MB/sec max. Welp.

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

explosivo posted:

It has nothing to do with your ISP, a lot of us Kiribati natives had the same problem yesterday. It literally took me ~8 hours to download the entire game. It sucks but I think you just have to ride it out.

I've resigned myself to this. Probably for the best because I'd definitely slack off at work and fly around instead.

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

Aardvark Barber posted:

I am also in the market for a flight stick. Not sure I am $150+ committed but I would like a bit more fidelity than the controller provides. RIP for now, I guess.

The T16000m is absolutely 1000% worth the money. You will absolutely not regret it.

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

Did one of the bush missions last night. First leg was like 40 mins of easy flying and looking around at all the cool poo poo. Bring the plane in for a perfect landing and promptly mash the brakes hard enough to flip the nose into the runway. Do not pass go, please try again.

This game rules.

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

big nipples big life posted:

Does anyone know if you can have a company on each world in On Air or if I wanted to make one on the survival world I would lose my casual world company?

You can have different companies in each world.

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

For sure. I was hesitant to try it myself because I had a decent little thing going in Cumulus but wanted to join goons on Thunder and tried it. No issues at all.

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

The way I do it when I’m burning around in the dadvan - well, most aircraft - is fully retract flaps during the initial climb when I’m around 300ft AGL. That gives enough of a safety margin in case there are any weird behaviors but it’s been a pretty solid procedure for me.

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

Holy poo poo I thought the AP on the 787 was bad. Then I tried the 747. How on earth did this get past any sort of QA? The oscillations when just trying to hold altitude are insane and nothing really seems to work at all. I just set altitude to 10k ft from 30l, -2000fps descent and I went from ascending at 11k feet to rocketing toward earth at 6k fps in like 15 seconds.

SixPabst fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Sep 21, 2020

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

Combat Pretzel posted:

Oh it actually does that? I haven't flown the thing, because 787 > 747 just on principle (gently caress nostalgia). A while back I was tailing an AFK friend of mine in-game for giggles and his 747 was doing that. I thought the game's multiplayer code was interpolating badly while he was downloading a torrent or some such.

Oh it sure does, and the longer you let it oscillate the more intense it gets, e.g. maybe +-100fpm each direction initially, suddenly you're on a roller coaster of +- 3000fpm. Give it a shot sometime. Basically just take off, set an altitude and enjoy the ride

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

Anyone else having this super fun 787 bug? A few times now I’ve been coming in to land and take over from AP and basically lose all pitch control unless I ram the throttles to max. Trim is neutral, everything is off (including AT) and it just does not respond to pitch input.

Same thing has happened a few times on take off where I can pitch up off the runway but then level off like 200ft off the ground and cannot ascend unless I throw on AP and set VS mode.

Real fun when I finished up a 1000mi flight in on air by nosediving into the runway. God drat it.

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

fuckpot posted:

Since the patch when I fly the 787 on IFR I will get an ATC message saying transponder not responding squawk 12345 (or something similar) and will eventually kick me off the radio when I don't answer. I have tried hitting 't' and 'shift+alt w' which are apparently transponder related hotkeys to no avail. Anyone know what to do?

This is annoying for sure but if you look down to your right below the throttles you'll see 3 computers. Hit the XPDR button on any of them, type in the code they want using the number pad and press the top left button (XPDR CODE). Then (and I'm not sure this is needed), click the Transponder Mode button on the round button directly below the throttles. Should say "Identify" when you hover over it. That should take care of it. It seems like nothing happens but you won't get kicked off of IFR. I just did it about an hour ago and was able to fly normally.

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

Combat Pretzel posted:

What's this mach speed business anyway? Does it switch unit and run a different simulation codepath under certain conditions?

Yeah, when you hit cruising altitude the airliners switch from knots to mach units on the displays and the button to change back and forth was / is broken.

Patch notes: Boeing 787-10 Dreamliner/ Airbus A320neo Fixed lack of elevator authority with FBW at low speeds
Reality: lol still broken, no control below 180 knots.

SixPabst fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Sep 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

sellouts posted:

Autopilot update seems good, fuel consumption seems better, now I’m getting buffeting at low altitude and low speeds.

Same. I suppose I'd rather deal with that than nosediving into the runway. Maybe 3rd patch is the charm?